Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attenborough scaremongering?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 73 ✭✭Jimmy_oc1998

Climate change is extremely alarming.

Ah sure **** it. It's going to end one day anyways. Once you come to realise that even if we ate grass and shat in the back garden there will come a time when the last human on earth dies, it all becomes less alarming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Here's the thing. If climate change is real or not it's still good practice to not cut down rain forests, pollute our planet with plastic waste and overfish our seas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

valoren wrote: »
    Scaremonger is a loaded word but to scaremonger about climate change is actually a good thing and very apt. And even if it did turn out to be a load of bollox, a conspiracy etc then to ardently draw attention to what's happening can only have a positive effect.

Lies will damage the cause.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

If it's a choice between conservativewoman.co.uk and David Attenborough, I know which horse I'm backing.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

ollkiller wrote: »
    Here's the thing. If climate change is real or not it's still good practice to not cut down rain forests, pollute our planet with plastic waste and overfish our seas.

Obvious rebuttal to that is everyone is campaigning for more taxes so essentially you'd be making your life harder for no reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I remember the last time climate change was the hot topic and then a world recession kicked in so everyone switched from save the climate to save the economy and screw stupid climate. Will we see another world recession kick in, a manufactured one?

Climate change is the home of virtue signalling gimps who will never actually do something constructive about it.

lets compare the multimillionaire actor crying about climate change from their private jet to this guy (see short video)

Christ if you really wanted to help the environment give this man a few million euro per year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-foEwcAu_zw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Sometimes I wonder if General Pinochet isn't actually dead and is in fact running a load of multis on boards.ie to keep his mind alert in his dotage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

rafatoni wrote: »
    i thought his brother was better..

You're thinking of Jeff Goldblum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I didn't see many people worried about the climate when billions was donated to Notre Dame? Those billions could have cleaned up a lot of oceans and planted lots of trees.

Odd, my memory is of an almost immediate backlash from several different sectors claiming to be of greater importance. The Yellow Vests had a field day, for example.

You're overstating the impact of billions though. Fixing the global climate is obviously going to take infinitely more money than fixing some church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Here’s the deal…

Fûck off with your climate change. There is fück all I can do more than I’m already doing.

I recycle all I can. Yet companies keep selling shît in stuff I can’t even recycle, and my recycling is ending up in a land dump in some foreign country anyway.

I only own one car.

I own a modest home that needs minimal heating and no cooling.

I rarely fly in a plane.

I don’t spew forth toxins into the atmosphere or the waterways.

Any appliance I have I try to fix when it breaks down.

I don’t go chopping forests down.

What needs to happen for any meaningful change is for them to go bleating to the governments and the companies and the rich folk who own dozens of properties, cars, flys every second day in a jet.

There is fúck all else we can do it’s in their laps but they will do fúck all because they say it’s up to us.

Well then bend over and kiss your arse goodbye cause the planet is up to shît if we have to depend on them bunch of fücking arseholes. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Sarcasm?

Ever heard of rule 34?

In a similar vein, for even the most stupid idea that you can make up, there is someone on the internet who believes it. See Flat Earthers, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

All the politicians are campaigning to attract more industry and tackle climate change... hmmm

Ever heard of rule 34?

In a similar vein, for even the most stupid idea that you can make up, there is someone on the internet who believes it. See Flat Earthers, for example.

On the flip side, there's Poe's Law, so you can understand why sometimes people feel the need to ask that incredulous question.
    Ah sure **** it. It's going to end one day anyways. Once you come to realise that even if we ate grass and shat in the back garden there will come a time when the last human on earth dies, it all becomes less alarming.

Unless you have kids, or other people you care about in the world, or a conscience generally, or empathy, or have thought past the painfully obvious idea of "everything turns to **** in the end" even for a few minutes.

Seriously, you think you're privy to some special revelation with this fatalistic teenagers life philosophy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

JJayoo wrote: »
    I remember the last time climate change was the hot topic and then a world recession kicked in so everyone switched from save the climate to save the economy and screw stupid climate.

Wow

"Your hot topic can be the climate or the economy, but never ever both, choose wisely.."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

ollkiller wrote: »

I think every-one agrees that climate change is real, as the climate has been naturally changing for millions of years and longer, Natural climate change is just that 'Natural', and we will no doubt have another ice-age in the future and also much warmer periods like the medieval warm period, and this is a natural cycle of our planet.

But these alarmist nutcases want to completely stop and interfere with the earths natural cycles, and they think that puny humans are going to cause something that already exists 'Climate Change'. Not one scientist or climatologist on this planet fully understands how the climate actually works, but yet they think they know the exact change variables humans are supposed to accumulate to it when they do not even fully understand climate.

So-called man-made global warming as it was originally called is the biggest money making scam in the history of the world. Tax the worlds population for something that always existed... Natural climate change.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

There is very little signs that the government is willing to invest in environmental projects even thou we are reminds frequently that we are gonna be hit with huge fines from Europe.

There are a large amount of solar farms which have been given the go ahead but construction is being put off as the government will not guarantee a price for the electricity. Solar farms can still be grazed by sheep, the construction is minimal when you compare them to turbines and they are beneficial to insects and small rodents as they offer cover. Clean energy but government is much happier to be hit with fines.

What about digesters? create clean energy from animal waste which can cause issues with waterways, any investment? nope.

What about a scheme to encourage farmers to plant 20-30 broad leaf trees on their land and ensure that they are maintained? would be exceptionally easy as every farm will have a bit of boggy land in a corner, wire it off and plant alder (will grow in bad land). easy way to add a million or so broadleaf trees.

What about a grant that would cover 75% off the cost of installing solar panels on the roofs of national schools, almost every village has one. the community would raise the remaining 25% and the government would give a guarantee to buy the electricity back at a set price with this money going directly to the national school. Make money of those long summer holidays? nope

On the flip side, there's Poe's Law, so you can understand why sometimes people feel the need to ask that incredulous question.

Unless you have kids, or other people you care about in the world, or a conscience generally, or empathy, or have thought past the painfully obvious idea of "everything turns to **** in the end" even for a few minutes.

Seriously, you think you're privy to some special revelation with this fatalistic teenagers life philosophy?

But sure if you really cared about the planet you wouldn't be having kids anyways?

I think every-one agrees that climate change is real, as the climate has been naturally changing for millions of years and longer, Natural climate change is just that 'Natural', and we will no doubt have another ice-age in the future and also much warmer periods like the medieval warm period, and this is a natural cycle of our planet.

But these alarmist nutcases want to completely stop and interfere with the earths natural cycles, and they think that puny humans are going to cause something that already exists 'Climate Change'. Not one scientist or climatologist on this planet fully understands how the climate actually works, but yet they think they know the exact change variables humans are supposed to accumulate to it when they do not even fully understand climate.

So-called man-made global warming as it was originally called is the biggest money making scam in the history of the world. Tax the worlds population for something that always existed... Natural climate change.

"Believing in this fringe denialist theory makes me think I am smarter than the majority of climatologists and scientists and that's what makes me feel special"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

"Believing in this fringe denialist theory makes me think I am smarter than the majority of climatologists and scientists and that's what makes me feel special"

The simple fact that I included above is correct. They do not fully understand climate also called chaos theory. I don't think you understood my point.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

But sure if you really cared about the planet you wouldn't be having kids anyways?

It doesn't mean you can't have kids. It just means you have to train your kids in the ancient Mongol tradition.

• Advertisement

Neat deflection, but if you care about the planet you don't necessarily stop having kids. You ensure you don't have more kids than parents, and ideally you have fewer.

And the rest of the argument? People you care about aside from your kids, empathy for humans generally?

Still stuck on entropy, right? Nobody gets you, you see things clearer than the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

You would probably still have 1 or 2 kids to stabilize population for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

mad muffin wrote: »
    Here’s the deal…

Fûck off with your climate change. There is fück all I can do more than I’m already doing.

I recycle all I can. Yet companies keep selling shît in stuff I can’t even recycle, and my recycling is ending up in a land dump in some foreign country anyway.

I only own one car.

I own a modest home that needs minimal heating and no cooling.

I rarely fly in a plane.

I don’t spew forth toxins into the atmosphere or the waterways.

Any appliance I have I try to fix when it breaks down.

I don’t go chopping forests down.

What needs to happen for any meaningful change is for them to go bleating to the governments and the companies and the rich folk who own dozens of properties, cars, flys every second day in a jet.

There is fúck all else we can do it’s in their laps but they will do fúck all because they say it’s up to us.

Well then bend over and kiss your arse goodbye cause the planet is up to shît if we have to depend on them bunch of fücking arseholes. :(

Did you ever think that climate change wasn't about you personally?

You would probably still have 1 or 2 kids to stabilize population for the future.

What future, maaan? Everything is essentially meaningless.

I read Sarte and it blew my miiiind.

Waiting to see if Jimmy pivots to sarcasm- probably his only play here.

The simple fact that I included above is correct. They do not fully understand climate also called chaos theory. I don't think you understood my point.

I dread to think what would have happened if denialist loons and the internet were around when we had the Ozone problem

What future, maaan? Everything is essentially meaningless.

I read Sarte and it blew my miiiind.

Waiting to see if Jimmy pivots to sarcasm- probably his only play here.

Careful now, you might unwittingly prove his point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

A bit of scare mongering wouldnt go even slightly astray in this greedy, selfish, ignorant, exploitative race of humans who destroy this once beautiful planet. Look at the photos of beaches worldwide covered in plastic? The amount of species that have already gone extinct,our cities streets choked by cars daily,the millions of animals killed daily for our meals,the millions of trees destroyed daily, the millions of plastic cups and bags used needlessly every day, a lot needs to change regardless of how ****ed the earth already is or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'll email him a link to this and see what he has to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

The_End_is_Near_50th_Anniversary_Edition.png

We get it. There's an unpredictable element, a margin of error... but no it's not that! It's chaos theory, so all is lost! Nothing is knowable! Throw up your hands and abandon all efforts to control the uncontrollable! Nobody understands this like I, the prophet of chaos, who read about it in New Scientist in 1996.

I don't know, where are you going with this? Where does citing chaos theory actually get anyone?

Well, it does invite pendants to point out that you stating "climate also called chaos theory" is wildly inaccurate. Climate is a chaotic system, but not the only one. Also climate being chaotic does not mean it cannot be modeled, because modelling chaos is the point of chaos theory.

Do you work in the area by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The 18 predictions from Earth Day 1970 in the 'comments section' of the link is pretty weird in fairness.

How did they get everything so spectacularly wrong?

We get it. There's an unpredictable element, a margin of error... but no it's not that! It's chaos theory, so all is lost! Nothing is knowable! Throw up your hands and abandon all efforts to control the uncontrollable! Nobody understands this like I, the prophet of chaos, who read about it in New Scientist in 1996.

I don't know, where are you going with this? Where does citing chaos theory actually get anyone?

Well, it does invite pendants to point out that you stating "climate also called chaos theory" is wildly inaccurate. Climate is a chaotic system, but not the only one. Also climate being chaotic does not mean it cannot be modeled, because modelling chaos is the point of chaos theory.

Do you work in the area by any chance?

There were a few these types in the recent climate change thread - apparently all the climate change scientists met up in a hollowed out volcano and came up with a dastardly plan to convince the world there was man-made climate change and so ensure their continued employment or something..

They are up there with the anti-vax crowd

The 18 predictions from Earth Day 1970 in the 'comments section' of the link is pretty weird in fairness.

How did they get everything so spectacularly wrong?

They seem compelled to be histrionic for some reason.

https://fee.org/articles/18-spectacularly-wrong-predictions-made-around-the-time-of-the-first-earth-day-in-1970-expect-more-this-year/

There were a few these types in the recent climate change thread - apparently all the climate change scientists met up in a hollowed out volcano and came up with a dastardly plan to convince the world there was man-made climate change and so ensure their continued employment or something..

They are up there with the anti-vax crowd

Studies suggest skeptics are more environmentally friendly than true believers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Whats strange about Attenborough is that he spent a good 2 decades proclaiming population increase as the greatest threat to the environment and humanity. So did just about every other environmentalist of note.

They seem to have dropped that concern now. why is that?

More money in the carbon taxes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 879 ✭✭✭ollkiller

Originally Posted by ollkiller
    "Here's the thing. If climate change is real or not it's still good practice to not cut down rain forests, pollute our planet with plastic waste and overfish our seas."
    Obvious rebuttal to that is everyone is campaigning for more taxes so essentially you'd be making your life harder for no reason.

How is that a rebuttal. I'm not campaigning for taxes. All i'm saying is stop cutting down trees and clean up after yourself.

Hobosan wrote: »
    Studies suggest skeptics are more environmentally friendly than true believers...

Studies suggest psychologically people will deny science/historians just to appear smarter than those pesky knowledge type people and their zany theories and "facts"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

kneemos wrote: »

To be fair when reading those predictions, we made changes to stop some. There's one about air pollution for example. We made changes to get rid of the worst of it by making sure there was smokeless fuels etc. However air pollution is still bad enough that many die from it and there are places where authorities have told people not to go outside unless they have to.

The site does make one big mistake though. It's taken a number of predictions made by a number of people and conflated them with consensus amongst scientists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

There's some great jokers in this thread, I like that :), I've laughed out loud several times in the few pages I've read. I'd rather die laughing than being preached at incessantly to rinse my Marmite jars.

And before anyone thinks I don't, I do wash my jars and recycle everything ...and I have spent more than 2 decades in the past living with no electricity and only an outdoor compost toilet. So my carbon balance is fairly low over a lifetime.
    But we the irrelevant serfs are not the ones that need to change our ways. Big industry just pays to pollute. The polluter pays, remember. That used to be the chant, the prayer, the motto. And boy do they pay and pollute. They get their moneys worth. The big fnuking multinationals ruining the west and midlands with coniferous plantations masquerading as their virtuous carbon sinks can go shyte for themselves if they think I am going into buy their religion.

• Advertisement

Studies suggest psychologically people will deny science/historians just to appear smarter than those pesky knowledge type people and their zany theories and "facts"

I haven't come across those studies, but I have seen those types in action. Tremendous fun.

Either way, it would be hilarious if more evidence mounts that the dunces had the right idea all along, despite denying the reality of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭uptherebels

WOW. No too many want to stop or interfere with the earths natural cycles. They want to stop and/or limit man made influences that accelerate the change in the natural cycle. As with many things in life its not the change that is the problem, it is the rate at which the change happens.
    Your correct that not one scientist or climatologist fully understands the climate . This is because it is a very large and complex system.So like most other fields of science, where no one person understands everything, it works on the contribution of the many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd have thought pumping billions of tonnes of carbon into the seas and air would be more likely to interfere with the "natural" cyles myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

More money in the carbon taxes etc.

When the world is truly f**ked and beyond the point of no return, what value do you think money will have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Kneemos, what is the "climate change agenda"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I was only thinking today I remember being in primary school (mid 80's) there was all this talk of "acid rain". Whatever happened to that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

kneemos wrote: »
    Not a clue. Nature programmes however inevitably have a forlorn looking Seal or Polar Bear to drive home the climate change agenda.

Other environmental disasters like to the destruction of forests for example rarely get a mention.

Rarely get a mention? That was all people could talk about in the ‘90s and it’s still recognised as a very bad thing.

I was only thinking today I remember being in primary school (mid 80's) there was all this talk of "acid rain". Whatever happened to that?

Like with the Ozone Layer, governments took action and restricted what you could pump into the atmosphere and mostly solved the problem here in Europe. It didn't magically go away nor was it made up. Other less developed countries still have acid rain problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's like the "homeless industry" or "Egg conspiracy" if you don't like eggs.

Rarely get a mention? That was all people could talk about in the ‘90s and it’s still recognised as a very bad thing.

When people say things like "x rarely gets a mention", what they mean is that they haven't been hearing about it in their particular bubble and project that onto the whole population.

I was referring to nature programmes always blaming everything on climate change,even when there is evidence to the contrary.

No problem with climate change, it's the hysteria,exaggeration and lies that do the cause no good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement