Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Hannah : Fri 26 - Sat 27 April 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

Roches Point is a bit offshore though!

Not Roches Point the weather station is on the road down to the lighthouse. On the mainland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

You would have to question the benefit of issuing a red for kerry so late. Kerry was always going to take a direct hit and should have been included this morning. Cork is borderline and I can understand the hesitancy there

The system is quite restricting and straightforward.. The forecast has changed and now Kerry comes into the criteria of Red wind warning. (Gusts over 130KPH) I dont think they have the flexibility to issue a red warning if the forecast at the time do not meet the criteria.

It is an advantage and disadvantage of the system IE The fact that the trees have full leaves cannot be taken into account or the direction it is coming from. However those details can be discussed in the details of the forecast such as they are doing now. The colour of the warning is only an indication which may help those possibly affected to seek more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Roches Point is a bit offshore though!

eh, its not too far from carrigaline and ringaskiddy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

eh, its not too far from carrigaline and ringaskiddy

You’re right sorry I was thinking kinsale platform for a reason best known to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Clamball wrote: »
    Not Roches Point the weather station is on the road down to the lighthouse. On the mainland.

Yeah I had kinsale platform in my head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

The system is quite restricting and straightforward.. The forecast has changed and now Kerry comes into the criteria of Red wind warning. (Gusts over 130KPH) I dont think they have the flexibility to issue a red warning if the forecast at the time do not meet the criteria.

It is an advantage and disadvantage of the system IE The fact that the trees have full leaves cannot be taken into account or the direction it is coming from. However those details can be discussed in the details of the forecast such as they are doing now. The colour of the warning is only an indication which may help those possibly affected to seek more details.

Got no notice at all, now it is wild outside, and a big bay window that is in direct danger once this turns south west

• Registered Users Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

My girlfriend is insisting on travelling from limerick to portlaoise shortly on the M7. She dives a small 06 micra. Will winds be bad around 5pm to 6.30pm on M7? He won't listen.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Heavy rain in Waterford City and winds picking up. Max gust 52km/h so far but feeling stormy out there.

www.waterfordweather.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Gusting close to 64 km/h here near Tralee, 10 min avg 32 km/h , SW

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1121788950786351104

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

My girlfriend is insisting on travelling from limerick to portlaoise shortly on the M7. She dives a small 06 micra. Will winds be bad around 5pm to 6.30pm on M7? He won't listen.

I'd say she will be just about ahead of the worst weather but no guarantee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

goat2 wrote: »
    Got no notice at all, now it is wild outside, and a big bay window that is in direct danger once this turns south west

But you were already on an amber warning and now the forecast gusts have increased enough to push it into red.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pnpweirdo

If i was going id be gertting on the road asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

goat2 wrote: »

Please. close the curtains and stay away from anywhere near the window? Nothing you can do so stay clear? Stay safe. It is not going to be a long drawn out storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

Would taking the old N7 be a better idea? I know that's the option I would go for, a lot more shelter. Having said that I think she will be ahead of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

no she will be fine. she will be ahead of the storm. and if it starts to blow it will push the micra along!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Heathrow and AMS cancelled from Cork by AL aswell, same reason I am assuming?

Not sure about that as the Cork Airport website is showing other flights operating at the times when the strongest winds will be hitting. It may be due to technical reasons. Of course if Cork does get upgraded to a red warning then all flights will definitely be cancelled. A friend of mine is due to fly out to Lisbon at 6pm so keeping fingers crossed that his flight will still go ahead.

But you were already on an amber warning and now the forecast gusts have increased enough to push it into red.

But I have not put up shutters on the amber in the past, now that red is on the horizon, I don't know how the thing will hold up, but hopefully it will, and I will be ready for the next stinger when I get to hardware shop next week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Very wild here now in SE Tipp,150m.Warning is for 2200 and it's only 1635 now,not looking forward to this at all...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Not sure about that as the Cork Airport website is showing other flights operating at the times when the strongest winds will be hitting. It may be due to technical reasons. Of course if Cork does get upgraded to a red warning then all flights will definitely be cancelled. A friend of mine is due to fly out to Lisbon at 6pm so keeping fingers crossed that his flight will still go ahead.

EI844 Amsterdam and EI724 London Heathrow cancelled

https://www.corkairport.com/arrivals-departures/search-departures

• Advertisement

michaelm wrote: »
    Would taking the old N7 be a better idea? I know that's the option I would go for, a lot more shelter. Having said that I think she will be ahead of this.

Id do the opposite. High trees either side of the old road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

The biggest question is it worth going to the pub in Cork city tonight!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Beautiful day here in Cork. Thinking of grabbing a couple of beers and going for a cycle down the marina. Sun is shining.

Sun shining and a great breeze for drying here in the red zone

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The biggest question is it worth going to the pub in Cork city tonight!!!!

I'm hoping so!
    They won't close, will they?

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Glenomra

lovely here in Limerick City at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Gust of 76 km/h SW here near Tralee.

rafales_uk_mnf0.png

pression2_uk_wgy5.png

HDnM1SE.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

goat2 wrote:
    But I have not put up shutters on the amber in the past, now that red is on the horizon, I don't know how the thing will hold up, but hopefully it will, and I will be ready for the next stinger when I get to hardware shop next week

So its met eireanns fault you didnt prepare and thought an amber warning is nothing.

See this is the problem in this country. Too many people downplay amber. It may as well not be a warning at all unless its red.

Mr.H wrote: »
    So its met eireanns fault you didnt prepare and thought an amber warning is nothing.

See this is the problem in this country. Too many people downplay amber. It may as well not be a warning at all unless its red.

of course not, but since I had not ever seen a red alert , I don't know what that is really like, just nervous at this time

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I'm hoping so!
    They won't close, will they?

If Cork does get a red warning they most likely will.

Advertisement