Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Hannah : Fri 26 - Sat 27 April 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Warnings have disappeared for counties Clare, Limerick, Kerry and Cork.... This could get interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

A lot of us posting the same thing about the warnings just there.... Goes to show how much attention this is getting from the regular posters here!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ARPEGE 0Z

anim_vxn8.gif

9483_ixj6.png

5464_ydr8.png

2153_boj6.png

6347_ytb5.png

ARPEGE Enlarged pic of Max Gusts ( limited zoom available for Ireland )

syntKdu.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Pressing refresh..... interesting few minutes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Back to an orange warning in the SW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Can only be red. No need to change it other wise

I stand corrected. Added galway
    Hannah is moving more north.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

NATIONAL WARNINGS

Wind warning for Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick
    Northwesterly winds, associated with Storm Hannah, will reach mean speeds of 65-80 km/h with gusts of 110 to 130 km/h this evening/early tonight.

Valid: Friday 26 April 2019 16:00 to Saturday 27 April 2019 01:00

Issued: Friday 26 April 2019 10:00

Updated: Friday 26 April 2019 10:00

Wind warning for Galway
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Galway
    Northwesterly winds, associated with Storm Hannah, will reach mean speeds of 65-80 km/h with gusts of 110 to 130 km/h this evening/early tonight, strongest along the coast.

Valid: Friday 26 April 2019 19:00 to Friday 26 April 2019 23:59

Issued: Friday 26 April 2019 10:00

Updated: Friday 26 April 2019 10:00

Wind warning for Tipperary and Waterford
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Tipperary and Waterford
    In addition to the yellow wind alert for these counties: Southwest winds veering northwest will reach mean speed of 65 to 80km/h and gusts of 110 to 120km/h for a time tonight.

Valid: Friday 26 April 2019 22:00 to Saturday 27 April 2019 02:00

Issued: Friday 26 April 2019 04:00

Updated: Friday 26 April 2019 04:00

Wind warning for Connacht, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly, Donegal, Tipperary and Waterford
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Connacht, Carlow, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Wexford, Wicklow, Offaly, Donegal, Tipperary and Waterford
    Becoming very windy on Friday night and for a time on Saturday morning. Southerly winds will veer northwesterly and reach mean speeds of 50-65km/h with gusts of 90 to 110 km/h.

Valid: Friday 26 April 2019 23:00 to Saturday 27 April 2019 09:00

Issued: Thursday 25 April 2019 10:00

Updated: Thursday 25 April 2019 10:00

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

creeping nearer to Mayo !

Is Cork out of the chance of a red warning do you think so? I need to drop the youngfella to work for 7pm not looking forward to it!

Edited to add I know how annoying those questions are and I am just looking for an opinion. I suggested dropping him at 3.30pm 😂😂 we are in North Cork and he works in Carrogtwohill so it is a fair treck, he was not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Looking well now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is this an ex-tropical storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

fryup wrote: »
    is this an ex-tropical storm?

No, it's a classic example of exposive cyclogenesis (a weather bomb is often used as a simpler term for this).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very close , rain from the outer band making its way onshore.

eKfRVBe.png?1

0XLaINP.png

pression2_uk_jcj5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭thomil

sryanbruen wrote: »
    No, it's a classic example of exposive cyclogenesis (a weather bomb is often used as a simpler term for this).

I like to call these storms "Newfoundland Specials". Hannah started life as a small depression over Newfoundland and then began rapidly intensifying as soon as it was over the Atlantic.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

You've gone and done it now.. daily mail " killer weather bomb cyclone hurricane to hit Ireland"
    That is if Dublin is effected. Other wise "bit windy down south" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭endainoz

I thought the dumb tabloids used the weather bomb term from the magic seaweed swell charts from a few years back. The amount of misinformation that goes out from these outlets is staggering, but then of course that applies to more than just weather!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Calm in Killarney for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No, it's a classic example of

exposive cyclogenesis

(a weather bomb is often used as a simpler term for this).

Now that is a phrase to play with! metaphorically i mean ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Graces7 wrote: »
    Now that is a phrase to play with! metaphorically i mean ;)

It just means a bit more windy than normal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

It's interesting that most of the model snap-shots people are posting here show quite unambiguous 'red level' winds for a large area of the south-western and western coasts, however Met Eireann have held firm with an orange level warning, albeit with quite strong supporting text of the possible impacts. This begs the question, have Met Eireann been burned too much by the very significant negative feedback they have received on account of previous red warnings from business and media organisations? Or do the models which the weather watchers rely upon overcook the data, with a bias toward stronger winds than will transpire?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

DUB TAF showing gusts of 48kts overnight but no warning for Dublin. Any reason why it would be excluded from the yellow warning?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Exposive cyclogenesis.

I'm sure that was a track on a Prodigy album...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Or do the models which the weather watchers rely upon overcook the data, with a bias toward stronger winds than will transpire?

From observing recent models and recent storms, I think 8 out of 10 times, this appears to be case.

I read that Met Eireann are having a meeting at 12pm to decide if it will go to red. Not sure if this is 100% true. I feel a lot of people will be caught on the way home from work. So many people travel long distances from college/work on Friday evenings too, it is potentially very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I read that Met Eireann are having a meeting at 12pm to decide if it will go to red. Not sure if this is 100% true. I feel a lot of people will be caught on the way home from work. So many people travel long distances from college/work on Friday evenings too, it is potentially very dangerous.

Where did you read that btw?

May as well have left it to 4pm if true. Is there not a chief forecaster who makes the decision?

Winding up nicely on the latest satellite imagery.

478727.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Yes I believe they let them run on.

Looks very likely Orange for Kerry and close to red on coastal fringes , not sure anout Cork, possible high yellow, maybe get to Orange. Other coastal counties in the W , S , SE probably yellow . Still evolving.

Damned if they do, damned if they dont. Call it too early and everybody wants to be off work and home before the red alert starts, meaning business suffers. Call it too late and people are caught out in it.

Goin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

It looks like it has tracked further North looking at that picture

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

cute geoge wrote: »
    When i was a young lad i vaguely remember a big storm in april back around 86 0r 87 .It carried a few old sheds but often heard that a storm in april can be leathal .What time should we expect to be indoors from it in north kerry ,I know the warning say 4 pm but that might be for south coast off cork??

Pretty sure I remember this! it was a school day and we were all loaded in to the headmasters car and brought home. We all had to hold hands walking through the school yard as the wind was so strong!
    I do love a good storm!

Advertisement