Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Hannah : Fri 26 - Sat 27 April 2019

Options

Comments

Where did you read that btw?

May as well have left it to 4pm if true. Is there not a chief forecaster who makes the decision?

Metalert Ireland.

Not sure how true it is but a few people have said they are spot on usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

jasper100 wrote: »
    Damned if they do, damned if they dont. Call it too early and everybody wants to be off work and home before the red alert starts, meaning business suffers. Call it too late and people are caught out in it.

Goin

That reply is to a message well out of date??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

cute geoge wrote: »
    When i was a young lad i vaguely remember a big storm in april back around 86 0r 87 .It carried a few old sheds but often heard that a storm in april can be leathal .What time should we expect to be indoors from it in north kerry ,I know the warning say 4 pm but that might be for south coast off cork??

Not sure about April but March 1986 was very unsettled at times with a notable storm mid-month which brought the highest wind gust on record to the UK including a mountaineous site {173 mph at Cairngorm}. It was similar to the storm of 8 December 2011 (hurricane Bawbag as it was touted by some media) which had warranted red status wind gusts at Malin Head.

archives-1986-3-20-12-0.png?

Reanalysis shows this deep low over us on 15 April 1986, never hear this mentioned.

archives-1986-4-15-0-0.png?

This was apparently posted for a short while earlier on Met Eireann site. Did anyone else see it? May be clutching at straws, but I really do not want to drive later!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

This was apparently posted for a short while earlier on Met Eireann site. Did anyone else see it? May be clutching at straws, but I really do not want to drive later!

That was while they were updating warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

So, what the forecast might have described a few years ago as 'Stormy conditions in Cork & Kerry, with gales on the Irish Sea etc'

And people would have listened and said 'Oh yeah, it's going to be a bit windy. I'd better make sure those sheds are closed and I take in the washing' etc etc. No big deal - been here, done that would be the general take.

No we have what the local shops call the 'Bread Alerts', where the media in all forms hypes matters up and puts the fear of God into otherwise normally sensible people. Followed by discussions on climate change and carbon taxes.......

Cork will be orange at least. I doubt they will go red as schools closed and time it’s happening. It’s potentially very dangerous with trees in full leaf so between 4pm today and 9am tomorrow morning I would avoid driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Independent running with Red Alert headline.
    Can't see this on ME page but it's not working wel for me on my phone.

Where are we at?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

Red Alert issued for Clare

Kutebride wrote: »
    Independent running with Red Alert headline.
    Can't see this on ME page but it's not working wel for me on my phone.

Where are we at?

Red for Clare only according to the independent.

• Advertisement

Cork will be orange at least. I doubt they will go red as schools closed and time it’s happening. It’s potentially very dangerous with trees in full leaf so between 4pm today and 9am tomorrow morning I would avoid driving.

Think I will drop him to work at 3pm to be home.
    He can go to the gym or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

still status orange

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I think the path it is taking may yet see Cork miss the worst of it actually (or at least the important bits of Cork - ye in North Cork might still see orange stuff!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Clare and Kerry coastal residents need to be seriously prepared for this. That is a serious gradient still on the charts coming into those coastal areas. The nudges north really putting the Shannon Estuary area into the firing line.

If red alert is going to come to pass it would be Clare and Kerry imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I think the path it is taking may yet see Cork miss the worst of it actually (or at least the important bits of Cork - ye in North Cork might still see orange stuff!)

Seems to be going further north alright up to Clare/Galway as these storms usually seem to do I.e. veer north at the last second. I will choose to ignore places of importance in cork comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Shannon airport TAF upgraded,now forecasting gusts up to 66 knots between 7pm and 9pm. Very strong in the Clare area.

Clare gone to red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Clare has gone red. I wouldn't be surprised to see one or two others in the coming hours.

https://www.met.ie/warnings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AdamB

Red now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

National
    NATIONAL WEATHER WARNING
    STATUS RED - WIND WARNING FOR CLARE
    Northwesterly winds, associated with Storm Hannah, will reach mean speeds in excess of 80km/h with violent gusts of 130 to 150 km/h for a time this evening.

Issued: Friday 26 April 2019 11:00

Valid from: Friday 26 April 2019 20:00 to Friday 26 April 2019 23:00

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dubladdie

Status red now for Clare on met eireann website

Status Red - Wind warning for Clare

Northwesterly winds, associated with Storm Hannah, will reach mean speeds in excess of 80km/h with violent gusts of 130 to 150 km/h for a time this evening.

Valid: Friday 26 April 2019 20:00 to Friday 26 April 2019 23:00

Updated: Friday 26 April 2019 11:00

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭tphase

rain has just arrived at Mace Head in the past few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Status Red - Wind warning for Clare

Valid: Friday 26 April 2019 20:00 to Friday 26 April 2019 23:00

Updated: Friday 26 April 2019 11:00

Clare isn't the longest coastline so this is amazingly specific. The way this is tracking Galway may eventually get a red. Met E damned if they do and damned if they don't. Indeed its hard to see how you can exclude north Kerry equally if Clare is red. Its an impossible system for Met E to satisfactorily operate really.

TAF EINN
    261100Z 2612/2712 20015G25KT 9999 SCT020 BECMG 2612/2615 17022G35KT TEMPO 2615/2624 4000 -RA BKN010
    BECMG 2617/2619 24025G45KT TEMPO 2618/2624 SCT018CB
    BECMG 2619/2621 30044G66KT BECMG 2700/2702 29025G42KT BECMG 2705/2708 30020G35KT

Forecasting mean speeds of 44 knots gusting 66 knots between 7pm and 9pm. Rough!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

Will Aran Islands no longer be on the map in the morning?

Kerry looked guaranteed to be red earlier of any county but slight shift north made all the difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Kerry looked guaranteed to be red earlier of any county but slight shift north made all the difference.

good news for Kerry, hope Clare people safe

Advertisement