Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Log cabin extension

• 24-04-2019 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Hi, has anyone ever seen a log cabin extension on the side of an end of terrace house? ie , front of log cabin visible from front of house?

Any thoughts on this idea?

We got a price for extension to side for €45,000 which is out of budget but could get custom made log cabin from log house apparently around €25000 for same space ( haven’t got quote yet, just looking at their brochure) .

Currently have a lean to shed at side, log cabin would look better than that but not sure if it would be allowed.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

The extension needs to comply with our building regulations.
    The log cabin will not comply, certainly not at the price point you mention.

It cannot be done without significant modifications to the log cabin and by then it will cost the same as a traditional build.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Thanks for your reply.
    Yes it would have to be custom made. It is a very narrow side- 7ft by 25 ft.
    Tha brochure gives s price for bespoke extensions at €60 a square foot, (€17,500) plus extras , so I was guessing about €25000. See photo.
    What wouldn’t comply with regulations do you think? Insulation, fire safety?
    Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

OP do you think ‘Priced on site’ means ‘not included’?
    Did the other price you got break down the costs listed?
    What regs won’t comply, best to get a professional to comment on that.

BryanF wrote: »
    OP do you think ‘Priced on site’ means ‘not included’?
    Did the other price you got break down the costs listed?
    What regs won’t comply, best to get a professional to comment on that.

Yes that’s what I took it to mean, that each job will be different so price varies.
    No I didn’t get a proper break down from builder and have only had one quote, I will get more of course but to be honest don’t expect them to be any cheaper, ( live in Dublin) .

Thanks for your reply.
    Yes it would have to be custom made. It is a very narrow side- 7ft by 25 ft.
    Tha brochure gives s price for bespoke extensions at €60 a square foot, (€17,500) plus extras , so I was guessing about €25000. See photo.
    What wouldn’t comply with regulations do you think? Insulation, fire safety?
    Thanks

It won’t comply with every single building regulation as advertised in that booklet. Part A all the way to Part M.

As a little exercise for you, ring the company and ask them how much it will
    Cost to have the log cabin custom made to comply with our building regulations including a certificate of compliance with said building regulations.

Then please please please post back their answer on this thread.

• Advertisement

Okay , I will do that at some stage.
    But do you mean it won’t comply with building regulations because it must when it is joined to my house but if it was say a garden room not joined to my house it wouldn’t need to comply?

Okay , I will do that at some stage.
    But do you mean it won’t comply with building regulations because it must when it is joined to my house but if it was say a garden room not joined to my house it wouldn’t need to comply?

Do it at an early stage, not some stage.
    As you have to apply for planning then you’ll have to show the log cabin and how it’s finished, materials, colour etc so you have no choice but to investigate this now, before you go for planning.

If it’s not joined to your house, then it’s a garden shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

not to make assumptions OP , but if youre intending this as a habitable space or cheaper alternative to a granny flat then its probably not going to work,

not to make assumptions OP , but if youre intending this as a habitable space or cheaper alternative to a granny flat then its probably not going to work,

Yes as a habitable space for my family. There are pictures on website of log cabin extensions on back of houses so obviously some people have done it. Yes thought it might be cheaper and quicker than standard extension and wondered why I hadn’t seen any!
    Obviously by what Levite saying it is not feasible

kceire wrote: »
    Do it at an early stage, not some stage.
    As you have to apply for planning then you’ll have to show the log cabin and how it’s finished, materials, colour etc so you have no choice but to investigate this now, before you go for planning.

If it’s not joined to your house, then it’s a garden shed.
    I won’t be building for another 2 years so by ‘at some stage’ I mean in a few months time, obviously I will price everything before applying for planning.

• Advertisement

but could get custom made log cabin from log house apparently around €25000 for same space ( haven’t got quote yet, just looking at their brochure) .

Yes that’s what I took it to mean, that each job will be different so price .

So just for anyone else reading this, apparently you can get a garden shed for 25k, but if you want it connect as to the house, plumbing, electrics, heating, and building regulation compliance it may cost you twice that, which is more than the other quote the OP got.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Timber frame houses / extensions are clad in block as the outer leaf with designed voids, membranes in between with extensive detail.

What I see proposed here is an abandoned timber frame extension made out of 2 or 3 inch tongue and groove timber bolted onto a house and sealed with mastic.

Its not gonna work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Yes as a habitable space for my family. There are pictures on website of log cabin extensions on back of houses so obviously some people have done it. Yes thought it might be cheaper and quicker than standard extension and wondered why I hadn’t seen any!
    Obviously by what Levite saying it is not feasible

Those back garden cabins are not for habitation and is illegal to do so. Similar enough with this. You will need planning for any structure for habitation.

Timber frame houses / extensions are clad in block as the outer leaf .

Not necessarily, my extension has battens and cement fibre outside breathable felt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Even with a so called housing crisis (I think entitlement crisis myself), there is no chance that a habitable log cabin or whatever will be approved for planning.

Them's the rules, and they are sticking to them. Kind of weird if the potential to house people is there, but anyway, not going to change anytime soon. Those homeless charities will not tolerate anything other than newly built houses within the Canals for those who are not working in the City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Even with a so called housing crisis (I think entitlement crisis myself), there is no chance that a habitable log cabin or whatever will be approved for planning.

Them's the rules, and they are sticking to them. Kind of weird if the potential to house people is there, but anyway, not going to change anytime soon. Those homeless charities will not tolerate anything other than newly built houses within the Canals for those who are not working in the City.

A log cabin will get planning permission once it complies with regulations, it's just that none of the cabins people propose comply with building regulations so they won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Del2005 wrote: »
    A log cabin will get planning permission once it complies with regulations, it's just that none of the cabins people propose comply with building regulations so they won't.
    Log cabin usually means wood cladding. The planners may reject that on aesthetic grounds.

Aside from finish, if it's not a self contained standalone structure then it's not a cabin.. "Log cabin extension" is just meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Del2005 wrote: »

Building Control and the planning department are two separate entities, the planning department will not make a decision based on its compliance with building regs, however your grant of planning will list it as a condition that the development will need to comply with the relevant building regulations. the planning department are concerned with the compliance with the development plans etc

JimmyMW wrote: »
    Building Control and the planning department are two separate entities, the planning department will not make a decision based on its compliance with building regs, however your grant of planning will list it as a condition that the development will need to comply with the relevant building regulations. the planning department are concerned with the compliance with the development plans etc

+1

The planners will grant or refuse based on its appearance and relevant planning law.

You then have to demonstrate to building control that the build up and materials comply with building regulations.

Please go elsewhere to rant about the house crisis or homes less charity’s, this is the construction and planning forum thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement