Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor insurance loaded per eircode

Options
  • 24-04-2019 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

I have noticed my insurance quotes are loaded approx 90% with 123.ie when I use any postcode in my estate compared to other estates in the town, including estates next door.

Has anyone else noticed this ? Seems like estate is blacklisted or something
    Are they allowed to do this ? Do they have to explain why a quote is loaded like a bad credit report must have a reason and an opportunity to correct ?

Anyone have any joy getting insurance companies to correct if an estate is mis-categorized?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

They aren't obliged to disclose why they are rating a particular area higher than others and they are within their rights to do so ie charge more for certain locations. Your estate could have a higher percentage of car thefts, damage etc and thus attract a higher rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 huiwe878778

It's a minefield...

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Does anyone know if the insurance companies share these databases of addresses for loading ? I see multiple companies showing higher quotes on my estate than anywhere else in the town.

Just wondering if they could be competition concerns here if they are sharing information that the customer has no way of verifying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why would they do it per eircode? That's specific to an individual building.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭WattsUp

Why would they do it per eircode? That's specific to an individual building.

I think it is per estate but they use the address returned from the eircode. My guess is they have a database of eircode and ones in specific area/estates are marked for some type of location specific loading.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Of course they have a database. They need to know where the eircode relates to. But they arent set by housing estate. The eircodes were set up out of sequence. The only thing similar to your neighbour's is the bit that takes the postcode area.

Advertisement