Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding electrician, and feasibility questions

Options
  • 24-04-2019 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭

A couple of related questions.

Is there any magic trick to finding an electrician (properly registered) for some small jobs, or is it just a case of ringing around until you find someone?

The other part of the question is whether what I want done is feasible anyway.

1. Get an outdoor (properly waterproofed, etc) socket installed. There's already an inside socket on one external wall, and I was thinking of getting an external socket on the "outside" of that same wall, as it might be easier for wiring. Is it any easier, or would they have to run entirely new wires through to the main board anyway? (In which case, a different external location might be handier).

2. My bathroom doesn't have a shaver socket, or any wiring at all, other than the ceiling light. I'd like to get a bathroom cabinet that includes a light and shaver socket (for electric toothbrushes). Something along these lines, that needs the cabinet "wired" to the mains. Are there any reasons why an electrician couldn't do this? Again, is it just a case of running a cable from the main board through the wall up to the bathroom?

If/when this all gets done, should I expect the electrician to give some sort of "compliance cert" to say the work has been carried out properly, or do you have to hire a second electrician to certify the work? Is certification legally required? If not, is there any way for a lay person to check that the work is done properly, without waiting to see if you get electrocuted?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

The best way to get an electrician for the small stuff is to get somebody who's been recommended by someone you know. Ask for a cert upon completion of the work , shouldn't be a problem if the guys registered.
    There's a good few lads out there doing small stuff at the minute , good money and less hassle than sites.

Advertisement