Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance estimate before buying car

Options
  • 24-04-2019 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to get an insurance quote/estimate online or by phone before purchasing a car?

I will not be buying a car for another couple of weeks, but I want to get an idea of insurance costs before I decided which car to go for, as I have been living abroad and am prepared for a possible large cost for insurance.
    I am wondering if it will cost much more to insure a Focus/Astra/Megane etc. type car or if I will be forced to go with something smaller like a Fiesta etc., don't want to buy a slightly bigger car if it doubles the insurance or something mad.

Problem is any companies online quote systems all ask questions assuming that you have a specific car already, even picking a random car model requires you to fill out stuff like date of first registration etc.
    Wondering if anyone knows of anywhere online to get an estimate, or if a company will give me a price for various cars over the phone or if it's a waste of time before actually purchasing a vehicle?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ask a broker I'd say

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

I don't think they do ask for specific details like date of first registration? On the online quote engines, I mean?

They don't even require a registration number. You can just choose a make & model from a dropdown menu, and input the year. Another option is to find something like what you're thinking of on carzone.ie or similar, and use the reg number from the photos there.

I've often done this when thinking of changing the car, and it's always worked for me. In fact, just tried it again now, and got a quote for insurance for a 2018 BMW 3 series. And the thing I actually drive is far from that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Just go on Done Deal and find each of the car for sale you want a quote on. Write down the registration for each vehicle and go to Liberty's website. Enter in all your details and that of the car and click "get quote". When you get the quote on the next page you can click back on your web browser and return to the page with all your details. The details should have remained and won't need to be entered again. Just change the car registration part on that page and the rest (driver info/address) will still be there then re-run the quote.

That's what I did when I first looked for Insurances quotes, I went through loads of cars in a matter of minutes.

Edit: Don't discount larger CC engines either. My 2012 high spec 1.8 petrol civic was less to Insure than a low spec relatively same price diesel (think it was a 1.6).

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭setanta1984

Just go on Done Deal and find each of the car for sale you want a quote on. Write down the registration for each vehicle and go to Liberty's website. Enter in all your details and that of the car and click "get quote". When you get the quote on the next page you can click back on your web browser and return to the page with all your details. The details should have remained and won't need to be entered again. Just change the car registration part on that page and the rest (driver info/address) will still be there then re-run the quote.

That's what I did when I first looked for Insurances quotes, I went through loads of cars in a matter of minutes.

Edit: Don't discount larger CC engines either. My 2012 high spec 1.8 petrol civic was less to Insure than a low spec relatively same price diesel (think it was a 1.6).

Thanks for this - Liberty don't ask for any of the specific details I was mentioning before, and give an instant price. Exactly what I needed, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Thanks for this - Liberty don't ask for any of the specific details I was mentioning before, and give an instant price. Exactly what I needed, thank you.

Chill.ie are also good for getting a quick quote online, and they're a broker for a number of insurers

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

For what it's worth, it was with Aviva that I got the quote for the hypothetical BMW, using a reg number of a car listed on carzone.ie

Should help you to shop around!

Advertisement