Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Comes flying up my ass in a 60k zone just as the video starts and tailgates all the way through the roundabout.

A road death statistic just waiting to happen, car filled with young dipshits.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

This junction is dodgy enough at the best of times but this takes the biscuit:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,581 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

2 hall of fame videos above. Shambolic from both for different reasons my god.

For person that was badly overtaken, get yourself a rear cam too. I’d be reporting him

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Any reason to get the wired Nextbase622 over the wireless other than a €10 saving?

Any known issues hardwire installing to BMW E92?

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Wireless option seems to be a rear-facing bolt on to the main camera. I'd imagine the quality of anything looking out the back window from that distance would be poor enough, I'd go with the wired setup (we have this on both our cars).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Ahh, missed that bit. Definitely would prefer a camera mounted on windscreen rather than looking into the car itself.

€400 ish on the ball for that package or am I missing any good deals?

Seems reasonable enough to me, it'd be about the same from Halfords once you factor in buying the hardware kit and SD card separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Have a look at the Viofo range, good value but would need to purchase the hardwire kit separately. I have an A129 duo for a number of years and it's been very reliable, there's newer A139 duo and three cannel cameras out since as well as 4k pro versions. A139 duo about £220 currently on Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Ah, good old Andy, wise as always. :)

On the first of the possibilities that you chose to reply to (that the driver may have had a spacesaver tyre on, limited to 80 km/h) - interesting to see such a devoted cyclist as yourself suggest that you should stay off a road if you're incapable of travelling at the same speed as most others on that road.

On the second (that the car may have been in limp mode) - doesn't seem to have occurred to you that the car may have been operating perfectly fine when the driver entered the motorway, only to go into limp mode while he/she was proceeding along it. Perhaps he/she even intended to leave the motorway at the next exit. Surprised this didn't occur to you, given that you normally know and think of everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Should leave the motorway immediately, over the barrier into a field, find a handy gate opening onto the motorway or just disappear in a cloud of smoke!

On the first, it's not a road, it's a motorway, which does have a minimum speed limit.

On the second, yeah, that's a possibility, but a fairly unlikely one.

Oh Andy, how you disappoint me. I have no choice but to begin to question your wisdom of all things.

There is no minimum speed limit on a motorway. If I am wrong in questioning your wisdom, pray enlighten me by pointing to it in legislation. And for those of us not so wise as your good self, pray tell how it applies to situations such as the M50 when gridlock slows vehicular progress to maybe just 30 or 40 km/h, or sometimes even forces a complete standstill.

Pray also enlighten me as to why all these dastardly fiendish motorists aren't clocked by Gatso vans or Garda speed cameras, and slapped with fines and penalty points, for wilfully sitting in their metal boxes and blatantly disregarding this apparent legal requirement to travel at a minimum speed.

The only form of minimum speed requirement for motorways that I am aware of is the one which says a vehicle must not enter a motorway unless it is capable of a speed of at least 50 km/h. Note that there is no requirement that it actually be driven above this speed - it must just be capable of it. Also please note that a car running on a spacesaver tyre is capable of 80 km/h, which is in excess of the minimum requirement. But I must be mistaken, if you say otherwise. So again, please share your wisdom.

Perchance you are conflating your claim with the general provision that you must not wilfully use a road in such a manner as to likely impede the progress of other traffic? Again, interesting that such a devoted cyclist would draw attention to this provision, considering that so many other cyclists see no issue in giving advice such as "take the lane" so that other vehicles must slow down behind them. I heartily commend you on this apparent broadening of your mind.

I eagerly await enlightenment on these matters.

On the second one, I would greatly appreciate further enlightenment too. Pray tell how it is that if a car is to develop a fault that forces it into limp mode, this is unlikely to occur on a motorway? Again, I look further to further education on this.

Many many thanks in advance.

Oh, and also to Andy - congratulations on reaching 25,000 posts since joining here in November 2016.

That's 79 months ago, so it's an average of 316 posts per month, or more than 10 per day.

Extremely good of you to share your wisdom so frequently on so many topics. Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Zatoichi

Is there any point to even report this kind of dangerous driving to the guards? I see them asking for dashcam footage in relation to an un-related crime all the time so it must have some legal basis.

Yes, it's a 50kmph minimum for the vehicle, that's correct. I humbly apologise.

But either he can do 80 kmph or he can't. If he can't do it, he really shouldn't be on the motorway, and should get off it at the earliest opportunity.

And what's this half-in, half-out of the hard shoulder all about? Either use it or don't use, FFS.

If you have dashcam footage, it can work if you report it through the Traffic Watch phone line first, and tell them that you're willing to make a statement and willing to go to Court if required. A lot depends on the individual Garda who picks up the case. Some will look for every excuse not to proceed, including finding evidence of your driving from your dashcam video. Some will blame it on their Inspector. Some will issue an FCPN at the drop of a hat and wait for it to go to Court.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I have one, but when it's connected to the front dashcam it causes an audio desynch with the video, to the point where if I'm doing a 5 hour drive and the clips are 3 minutes long then the audio for the current video is in the previous file.

Oh, Andy. Confidence in your wisdom is shattered. How oh how can anybody take you seriously on the motoring forum again?

Meanwhile, it remains interesting that you continue to maintain that if somebody can't proceed at a speed close to that of the majority of other traffic on a road, they should leave that road as soon as possible. It's certainly an unusual view for a cyclist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,390 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Of course, they were at red lights further up 2 minutes later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Mac 3

It’s not a road though. It’s a motorway. Shall I explain the difference for you?

Oh yes, please do. Please also share your wisdom with those unfortunately misinformed individuals who have provided the following definitions for some of the most prestigious dictionaries on the planet:

Oxford English Dictionary: "a dual-carriageway road designed for fast traffic"

Cambridge Dictionary: "a wide road for fast-moving traffic"

Collins Dictionary: "a major road that has been specially built for fast travel over long distances"

MacMillan Dictionary: "a wide road with several lanes for fast travel"

And finally, please also inform our legislators of their error in defining "motorway" as follows in the Roads Act:

"A motorway means a public road or proposed public road specified to be a motorway in a motorway scheme approved by the Minister under section 49."

Thanks for saving me a load of work there. You did notice the multiple references to ‘fast’ in those motorway definitions?

Oh, Andy. It's always a sign of defeat and retreat by you when you resort to deflection rather than addressing the point itself.

The key point here is your contention that a motorway is not a road. If you are correct, then those dictionaries, our legislators, and my poor misguided self must all be mistaken.

So, to perhaps conclude this discourse: is a motorway a road?

a) Yes

b) No

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

There is no minimum speed for motorways (bar the overtaking lane, which has a minimum of 90kmph truck drivers), your vehicle must simply be CAPABLE of getting to and maintaining at least 50kmph. The car in the video I assume is capable of this speed.

You could be fined for driving too slowly however if it is considered dangerous in the circumstance, but not for not obtaining a "minimum speed". Probably under "Driving without reasonable consideration" or indeed driving on the hard shoulder but if it is an emergency I'm sure the mitigating circumstances can be taken in to account.

More deflection and retreat.

I grow weary of this. Good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Polar wizard adventure

Report them for both incidents. That driver is a menace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

@AndrewJRenko getting his arse handed to him here.

Advertisement