Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I think you'll find the complaint is about him waltzing off to his right to pass between myself and the grab truck at the second set of lights before pulling across the grey car to get back to the left.

Nothing wrong, no complaints needed, no "waltzing". Good lane positioning, shoulder checking, non-distracted safe, fast cyclist with good spacial awareness, knew exactly where the other vehicles were, what speed they were traveling and what their intention were.

Very little chance of an accident or collision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It's actully a relief to see a cyclist overtaking on the right. I see too many going into drivers larger blind spot on the left.
    He possibly planned to overtake the truck too if traffic hadn't started moving again so he was in the correct road position if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I think you'll find the complaint is about him waltzing off to his right to pass between myself and the grab truck at the second set of lights before pulling across the grey car to get back to the left.

The first set of lights I know cyclists like to be ahead of the traffic and as I noted on the video that was what he was doing.

Hope I don't meet you if you think that's the safe way to do that junction.

There's also the fact that there's a cycle bypass round that junction, which seems to be ignored as much as it's used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

seagull wrote: »
    There's also the fact that there's a cycle bypass round that junction, which seems to be ignored as much as it's used.

Distance from end of cycle lane to start of cycle lane via the junction is 480 m. Distance via cycle route is 640m. Can see why he avoids the circuitous cycle lane which mixed with the pedestrian footpath (illegally?) for most of its route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Corbother

Definitely the biggest idiot and possibly the most irresponsible and dangerous thing I've witnessed a cyclist do on a main road during busy evening traffic.

This cyclist is literally glued inches the entire way behind an artic truck.
    If the artic driver hard brakes the cyclist is in massive trouble. Even if the artic lightly brakes the cyclist is gone careering into the back of the artic truck.

And the amazing thing is the road is full of junctions with traffic pulling out onto the main road from multiple points.
    The cyclist has absolutely no idea or view of the road ahead whilst glued to the back of the artic truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

And yet the truck braked and the cyclist is alive to tell the story of what may have been

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Never seen anything like it, truly bizarre.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Darwin award contender!

fritzelly wrote: »
    And yet the truck braked and the cyclist is alive to tell the story of what may have been
    Braked gently, even at that you can see him pulling hard on his brakes, sudden braking, zero chance of stopping!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yeah he's too close the fact he has to freewheel so much should make him aware of that, he could back off a bit and still get a very good draft

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

Corbother wrote: »

Definitely the biggest idiot and possibly the most irresponsible and dangerous thing I've witnessed a cyclist do on a main road during busy evening traffic.

This cyclist is literally glued inches the entire way behind an artic truck.
    If the artic driver hard brakes the cyclist is in massive trouble. Even if the artic lightly brakes the cyclist is gone careering into the back of the artic truck.

And the amazing thing is the road is full of junctions with traffic pulling out onto the main road from multiple points.
    The cyclist has absolutely no idea or view of the road ahead whilst glued to the back of the artic truck.

Ah reminds me of my younger days when we'd tuck in behind an artic going up Glenmore Hill and see how long we could draft off it after Murphy's motors.
    Very hard to do with only a 52-16 junior block.
    One of the lads managed to hang in there all the way to Waterford once, but I think he had a senior block on his training wheels.
    Agreed that there's no need to be glued to the back, a couple of lengths will give you a bit of breathing space. Literally, if it was a cattle truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

fritzelly wrote: »

The pedestrian who ran into the side of my stationary car is still alive to tell his tale, doesn't mean he wasn't an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭gmacww

J Mysterio wrote: »

There was a video a while back of two lads, somewhere in south america doing it at about 90km or something like that behind a truck on what looked like a motorway. They got close enough to stick the go pro to the back of the truck.

In all my years of cycling I would never do anything like this. It's truly idiotic to do this in normal traffic without being able to see the road. Yes I've drafted team/support cars in a race making my way back to the group but in normal traffic jesus and on a wet road too. My palms are sweating looking at him!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Corbother

gmacww wrote: »
    There was a video a while back of two lads, somewhere in south america doing it at about 90km or something like that behind a truck on what looked like a motorway. They got close enough to stick the go pro to the back of the truck.

In all my years of cycling I would never do anything like this. It's truly idiotic to do this in normal traffic without being able to see the road. Yes I've drafted team/support cars in a race making my way back to the group but in normal traffic jesus and on a wet road too. My palms are sweating looking at him!

To be honest I was panicking so much watching him. I was waiting for something to happen where he crashed into the back of it.

All it took was a car driver to pull out of the multiple side junctions leading onto the main road he was driving on, the truck slams on the breaks and he goes into the back of the truck or something worse happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,930 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

To be honest I was panicking so much watching him. I was waiting for something to happen where he crashed into the back of it.

All it took was a car driver to pull out of the multiple side junctions leading onto the main road he was driving on, the truck slams on the breaks and he goes into the back of the truck or something worse happens.
    :confused:

It was stupid but nobody was in danger besides the guy doing it, do you get these panic attacks when you see every second driver on their phone while doing 80-120 kph these days or the 5-6 cars going through every red light? Because that kind of thing is racking up dozens of deaths every year whereas the figures for fatalities caused by drafting on a bike are about zero every year.

More UK stuff, with a brake check fail to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

J Mysterio wrote: »

I saw a cyclist do this a few months ago.
    Wonder if it's the same guy.

At least he's wearing hi-vis! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The multi-tonne truck will take a lot longer to stop in wet or dry weather than the super light cyclist even if he had dodgy brakes, if for some reason the truck managed to stop without the cyclist stopping, he'd simply bump and stop. There could be a very very slight chance he'd fall over at a standstill if he couldn't disengage his feet from the pedals.

Zero danger to anyone on the road here, no reason to panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Were missing the videos but keeping on topic a Goldie but Oldie

You're assuming he's paying attention.

BTW notice how the cyclist in high viz managed to avoid the car. :D

• Advertisement

Were missing the videos but keeping on topic a Goldie but Oldie
    You're assuming he's paying attention.

BTW notice how the cyclist in high viz managed to avoid the car. :D

MAMIL's - not a pretty sight

DaDumTish wrote: »
    stupid c*nt ^^^^

Are you making some presumptions based on the car or some insider info

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Delighted to see the Gardai enforcing the rules. This happens way too often on that stretch of road. Love the way the van driver put on their flashers when they knew that they were caught!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I saw a Garda car being followed in the bus lane today by a regular car, and they did fcuk all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Seasoft

Delighted to see the Gardai enforcing the rules. This happens way too often on that stretch of road. Love the way the van driver put on their flashers when they knew that they were caught!

Surely it's time bus lane enforcement was privatised, like speeding. Fixed and mobile cameras would put manners on transgressors unlike the current situation of flagrant abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some posts containing not embedded videos deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭granturismo

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I saw a Garda car being followed in the bus lane today by a regular car, and they did fcuk all!!

Was it armed unit???

They tend not to bother.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Was it armed unit???

They tend not to bother.

No, a regular i30 being tailed by a C220 merc, and they did nothing.

Advertisement