Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

kenmm wrote: »
    The guy driving at 1:06 - he is completely in the wrong, ye? Undertaking up a bus lane before turning left? If you are going to drive like that - at least anticipate others wont expect you to be in the place you should t be?

But I can only assume that because it was uploaded to some dash cam site that he thinks he has been wronged (Not saying the mini driver is blameless, the weren't fully aware of whats behind them either..).

Both reacted when mistakes came to a head so no foul done. If I was either of them though I'd take a mental note to avoid the situation in future.

Those compilations are filled with people steamrolling through roundabout junctions then acting surprised that they've caught someone out trying to emerge especially heavy vehicles. They're going to cause accidents with their footage hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

The left turn lane starts before the bus stop markings, either way a trivial thing not worth wasting energy on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Quite worrying even with video evidence people can't see what is plainly there in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

The majority of those UK Dash cam videos are always on roundabouts. Proof that roundabouts don't work and/or people don't know how to use them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

chewed wrote: »
    The majority of those UK Dash cam videos are always on roundabouts. Proof that roundabouts don't work and/or people don't know how to use them!

Roundabouts work fine. In most of the cammer videos the cammer enters the roundabout too fast and deliberately drives at someone who maybe entered when it was 50/50, knowing he "has it all on camera". They'll then ironically curse the other motorist for being such a **** driver.

Sure sometimes someone will enter clearly in error but most of the dashcam stuff isn't that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Guy at 1:06 is completely in the right, got into the line in the correct location and wasn't undertaking anyone, he was taking a turn. Mini should have indicated on time and pulled into the correct lane in advance, it could still have been avoided if the mini driver used their mirrors.

Dash-cam-thread-3-4-embedded-car-cams-only-Page-65-boards-ie-2019-11-27-13-42-37.png

See the yellow paint, that's a bus stop not a lane

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Dash-cam-thread-3-4-embedded-car-cams-only-Page-65-boards-ie-2019-11-27-13-42-37.png

You can drive through a bus stop though, it is the left lane, the left arrow is before it but also another mid way through.

That's a bizarre disagreement to bring up ...

If it were law you couldn't drive in a bus stop box how would one navigate through any road with them on the road....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

dsmythy wrote: »
    They're going to cause accidents with their footage hunting.

THIS all over. ^

There are 5 or 6 people in that one video that are just waiting to be offended, including one guy who say someone make a mistake entering a roundabout and sped up (and then of course 10 second horn blast and shouting).

I dont think dash cams are necessarily a good thing tbh as we are trending towards depersonilasation of other users and waiting to be angered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Spook_ie wrote: »

Or if you had paused a second earlier you would see the white paint showing the start of the lane...

Its a lane with a bus stop in it and the mini doesnt look to take the exit until the last second without indicating until the turn itself. Majority of the blame goes with the mini driver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

On closer inspectiopn the badly painted bustop looks like it might actually be white broken line, bustop, then white line.

The angled arrows dont apear until the junction (normally the turn point).

EDIT:
    Nah another look- Dash driver wrong. Regardless of the broken lines at the side of the road. Those are there for the bustop. @1:01 you can clearly see the lane (that both cars are in) is marked at that point for [ahead + left]. At 1:04 you see where the Left turn lane begins witht he Y shaped lane marker (that the mini is driving over). It's a badly designed bit of road, but the dash driver should cop on about the mini and not be driving up the bus stop.

The mini is obviously a little confused as they start breaking. At this point I would have backed off a little. The driver continues and then acts surprised when the mini realises the shape of the road is crap and signals.

Neither driver is exemplary here, but I wouldn't be sending this clip anywhere. Nothing really happened, the dashcam driver comes off worse really by showing a) lack of hazard perception. b) getting all shouty about it.

Same thing with the next clip (1:23) - getting all surprised when a child crossed the road.
    And 3:14 (waiting to get annoyed about a signalling truck (unless there was previous where the truck skipped a mile of traffic..)
    4:13 where the dashcam driver sees a mistake up ahead (And speeds towards it ffs)
    7:04 (another roundabout mistake that turned into several minutes of roadside shouting - brilliant!)

@Mods - sorry - if this can be split off please do - otherwise will stop talking about it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

No drama. My speed in the 1st clip should say 69 as i was very low on juice and trying to make it home on what i had left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

You seem to get overtaken quite a lot

McCrack wrote:

It's a Leaf :)

McCrack wrote: »

He gets overtaken a lot by absolute ****. You surely can’t justify any of those even if you are a speed hero.

Can't believe people queue like this at McDonald's in Oz..

Thats what happens when you drive at the speed limit's in 50,60 and 80 zones :rolleyes: [Edit to say GPS speed]
    Sesh you drive 1kph under the limit,Commenter you drive to slow.
    Drive over the limit Commenter you drive to fast. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Who said they drive too slow, nobody said that.

Stealthirl wrote: »
    No drama. My speed in the 1st clip should say 69 as i was very low on juice and trying to make it home on what i had left.

Why did you pull over for the car but not the bike, closing the gap on them when there's an oncoming car when you're 10 under the limit and were pulled over only moments before. You should reflect on that and not what the biker did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

What's s/he supposed to do if s/he's driving in or around the speed limit? I get this a bit myself, particularly on roads coming off a motorway (or on the motorway, if there are lower speed limits for roadworks).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Achasanai wrote: »
    What's s/he supposed to do if s/he's driving in or around the speed limit? I get this a bit myself, particularly on roads coming off a motorway (or on the motorway, if there are lower speed limits for roadworks).

You do nothing.

Motorway roadworks even easier, just stay in the left lane. Or if it is just one lane opened continue at your pace, providing it is a reasonable pace.

That's it. Not much else you can do.

zubair wrote: »
    Why did you pull over for the car but not the bike, closing the gap on them when there's an oncoming car when you're 10 under the limit and were pulled over only moments before. You should reflect on that and not what the biker did.

Because
    1) It was safe to pull over, poor observational skill's on your part if you did not see the driveway entrances on the left.
    2) Bike flew up behind me, paused for a few seconds and went for it,if he'd waited literally less the 15 sec more it would again be safe for me to pull over.
    3) I never closed the gap on him,there was 40 sec between the car and him and see points above, upcoming entrances and he flew up behind me,if he'd been with the car would he not have been behind it when they passed as i would have let him go then.

Maybe reflect on the fact he overtook me on a corner with an oncoming car, moving over is a curtsy not a rule.:D

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Because
    1) It was safe to pull over, poor observational skill's on your part if you did not see the driveway entrances on the left.
    2) Bike flew up behind me, paused for a few seconds and went for it,if he'd waited literally less the 15 sec more it would again be safe for me to pull over.
    3) I never closed the gap on him,there was 40 sec between the car and him and see points above, upcoming entrances and he flew up behind me,if he'd been with the car would he not have been behind it when they passed as i would have let him go then.

Maybe reflect on the fact he overtook me on a corner with an oncoming car, moving over is a curtsy not a rule.:D

Not sure how you expect me to see driveways in your video, I wasn't driving.

Well it's good to know you were aware of them and that you would have let them pass when it was safe to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

wonski wrote: »
    You do nothing.

Motorway roadworks even easier, just stay in the left lane. Or if it is just one lane opened continue at your pace, providing it is a reasonable pace.

That's it. Not much else you can do.

Oh, I know, and I don't let it bother me (as long as I'm being progressive and close enough to the speed limit). It just seemed that the suggestion that the driver was being overtaken a lot was criticism of the driver rather than the overtakers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

^^^

https://imgur.com/a/jRpI15A

Pics of the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Carroller

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Fresh one, from yesterday. 66 years old, driving under influence, 2‰, already banned for drink driving, stopped and held by dashcam owner, handed over to Police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

tedpan wrote: »

Those psychological tests for driving license candidates don't really work in Poland :)

Advertisement