Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

mbroaders wrote: »
    Light goes red at the same time both ways. As the 3rd/4th car went past i double checked myself as i couldn't quite believe what i was seeing.
    tedpan wrote: »
    Although watching back, the right filter light never went green for the OP. Hmmm

Not being able to see the other light, the only comment i could justify is than non of the cross traffic appeared to have a green light in that they didn't start moving!

You absolutely sure there wasn't a green the opposite way and you just assumed it went red at the same time of yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

100% sure.
    Spook_ie wrote: »
    Not being able to see the other light, the only comment i could justify is than non of the cross traffic appeared to have a green light in that they didn't start moving!

You absolutely sure there wasn't a green the opposite way and you just assumed it went red at the same time of yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Light goes red at the same time both ways. As the 3rd/4th car went past i double checked myself as i couldn't quite believe what i was seeing.

Best never assume the colour of lights you can't see.
    There could be a malfunction.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I believe the op could see the other lights being in the middle of junction.

I doubt he would post it here if he wasn't sure.

As i mentioned at the start, i believe the sun was causing an issue for people being able to see the lights. Once one goes through at speed the rest seem to assume it's ok for them to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

There's a junction near marlay park that often leaves the car turning right stranded in the junction. Light goes green for both directions, car turning right moves in, light goes red for those going straight, and stays green for those coming straight on in the opposite direction of the car looking to turn right leaving the turning car stranded as there is no right filter light coming on. Been caught out myself at it several times.

I can see that being possible if the green light is a filter arrow for straight ahead alright. If it is a full green light it wouldn't make any sense.
    Kamili wrote: »
    There's a junction near marlay park that often leaves the car turning right stranded in the junction. Light goes green for both directions, car turning right moves in, light goes red for those going straight, and stays green for those coming straight on in the opposite direction of the car looking to turn right leaving the turning car stranded as there is no right filter light coming on. Been caught out myself at it several times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

I can see that being possible if the green light is a filter arrow for straight ahead alright. If it is a full green light it wouldn't make any sense.

Nope, it's a full green light. It's an absolute disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 redline2015

7 cars through a red light earlier today. Sun was very bright and must of caused visibility issues for the cars if that's an excuse....

....They are still on a full green.
    Junctions like this a fairly common
    Sometimes it's down to the position of the first car turning hasn't trigger the sensor or gone past
    it, or just bad timing when you entered the junction and the light was just about to stop one side only and not The other...as it hasn't sensed a car, Could also be a bad sensor

As your filter didn't come on for you...one of these happened...but they were on a full green
    If they were on a red your filter light would have been on

The last two cars may have went through on a amder or red as you look back to check the light,
    the traffic in th opposite direction had already started moving as they passed

Never presume just because the flow of traffic from your side has just got a red that the other side has one, it's not always the case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The first half of December has plenty of ignorance anyhow. The polish aren't the only ones that can't figure out roundabouts.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Kamili wrote: »

I'm not understanding that. Surely then you wait until the oncoming cars finally get their red light and you complete your turn, admittedly forcibly late. Do cars start to come from another direction that you would be blocking?

dsmythy wrote: »
    I'm not understanding that. Surely then you wait until the oncoming cars finally get their red light and you complete your turn, admittedly forcibly late. Do cars start to come from another direction that you would be blocking?

I'm explaining it badly, apologies.

If you're turning right, you move into the cross road junction on green. Oncoming traffic keeps coming preventing you from making the turn. The green light turns red, and the right turn filter doesn't come on, but the oncoming traffic still has green. So you're left in the junction on red, but oncoming still has green.

Their light eventually goes red, but you always have stragglers, leaving you blocking the cross junction as the other sides to your left and right now have a green light.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭FDave

Marlow wrote: »
    The first half of December has plenty of ignorance anyhow. The polish aren't the only ones that can't figure out roundabouts.

/M

In the first clip there is only one lane so why would the driver in front make room for another car to pull up beside him? Pulling up beside him is just as bad a habit as him cutting the roundabout. Alot of people think its acceptable to do both and bad roundabout design can facilitate these behaviours.

FDave wrote: »
    In the first clip there is only one lane so why would the driver in front make room for another car to pull up beside him? Pulling up beside him is just as bad a habit as him cutting the roundabout. Alot of people think its acceptable to do both and bad roundabout design can facilitate these behaviours.

It is not painted up for two lanes, but if you know the roundabout, you would know, it is a 2 car wide exit and always used as such.

But even if you treated it as 1 lane, it would not excuse cutting lanes within the roundabout. The inner lane is for exit 3 and beyond only.

My personal pieve .. with all of the roundabout footage in that clip.. is the total ignorance to lane discipline. I was actually holding back because said person occupied the middle of said exit and was pretty much guaranteed to not keep lane discipline because of that behaviour.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If a car crosses a whiteline on a roundabout and no dashcam is there, does it get uploaded?

zubair wrote: »
    If a car crosses a whiteline on a roundabout and no dashcam is there, does it get uploaded?

No.

Counter question: does that make it right ?

Ignorance is not blizz. And it does do cause accidents. I have been sideswepted a few times from said ignorance.

Why do you think the RSA is running TV ads to educate on the usage of roundabouts ? And they actually do that. They are even played on the screens in the waiting rooms of the NCT. .... they do it, because it is a problem !

/M

You are incorrect. The filter isn’t on a red/green rotation. Junctions like you describe are very common when there is a red/green rotation on the filter, which is one reason why you shouldn’t enter the junction to turn right on such a junction when the filter light is red.

This junction there is no red light on the filter so it should be treated as a normal junction. The filter comes on every 2nd or 3rd rotation of the lights and just provides some extra bandwidth for cars I’m turning right.

....They are still on a full green.
    Junctions like this a fairly common
    Sometimes it's down to the position of the first car turning hasn't trigger the sensor or gone past
    it, or just bad timing when you entered the junction and the light was just about to stop one side only and not The other...as it hasn't sensed a car, Could also be a bad sensor

As your filter didn't come on for you...one of these happened...but they were on a full green
    If they were on a red your filter light would have been on

The last two cars may have went through on a amder or red as you look back to check the light,
    the traffic in th opposite direction had already started moving as they passed

Never presume just because the flow of traffic from your side has just got a red that the other side has one, it's not always the case

Marlow wrote: »
    It is not painted up for two lanes, but if you know the roundabout, you would know, it is a 2 car wide exit and always used as such.

But even if you treated it as 1 lane, it would not excuse cutting lanes within the roundabout. The inner lane is for exit 3 and beyond only.

My personal pieve .. with all of the roundabout footage in that clip.. is the total ignorance to lane discipline. I was actually holding back because said person occupied the middle of said exit and was pretty much guaranteed to not keep lane discipline because of that behaviour.

/M
    Kilmartin roundabout, a classic Celtic tiger disaster, they tried to cram in as many parking spaces is possible between the shops and the road, that lane is too narrow to be marked as a two lane road because it is impossible for two large vehicles to be side by side.
    Two small cars can make the extra "lane" though.

You are incorrect. The filter isn’t on a red/green rotation. Junctions like you describe are very common when there is a red/green rotation on the filter, which is one reason why you shouldn’t enter the junction to turn right on such a junction when the filter light is red.

This junction there is no red light on the filter so it should be treated as a normal junction. The filter comes on every 2nd or 3rd rotation of the lights and just provides some extra bandwidth for cars I’m turning right.

No red filter so I don't know why your even mentioning it I didn't..
    Full green always take control of the junction turning right
    Traffic stops clear the junction... regardless of light colour..
    Please tell me you don't wait behind the stop line on a full green.. waiting for a filter

The sensor On that particular junction is just past the stop line and positioned very bad, if you go past it the lights think that you got a gap and won't stop the opposite side and trigger a filter

• Advertisement

Kilmartin roundabout, a classic Celtic tiger disaster, they tried to cram in as many parking spaces is possible between the shops and the road, that lane is too narrow to be marked as a two lane road because it is impossible for two large vehicles to be side by side.
    Two small cars can make the extra "lane" though.

I'd agree, that you won't get 2 trucks side by side into that exit, but any car or van is no problem ...

it's still not the point, I am making. It's the fact, that people cut through the lanes inside the roundabout.

There was an accident in that roundabout only recently ..... due to lack of lane discipline.

/M

Yes lane discipline is often terrible when it comes to roundabouts, the Monkslands roundabouts are frequently abused this way.

Yes lane discipline is often terrible when it comes to roundabouts, the Monkslands roundabouts are frequently abused this way.

Don't get me started. I live that side of town :p

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

The sensor On that particular junction is just past the stop line and positioned very bad, if you go past it the lights think that you got a gap and won't stop the opposite side and trigger a filter

^This - the induction loop/ sensor is early on this junction.

Don't know if its 'bad' - might have been 'designed' to only trigger on 2d or 3rd car. Doesn't matter much anyway as you dont need the filter, just need to wait on the oncoming lane to go red.

kenmm wrote: »
    ^This - the induction loop/ sensor is early on this junction.

Don't know if its 'bad' - might have been 'designed' to only trigger on 2d or 3rd car. Doesn't matter much anyway as you dont need the filter, just need to wait on the oncoming lane to go red.

Yeah one in the lane and another one over the stop line..
    Most people will go a bit further out onto the yellow box and if you've nothing behind you the two sensor won't turn the filter because it thinks you got a gap. It should have a wait here arrow box like the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Chiparus wrote: »

How quickly a simple drive can change. Any vehicle at that angle coming towards your planned path is trouble.

Advertisement