Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

sentient_6 wrote: »
    I was contemplating contacting directly tomorrow and maybe traffic watch also actually? Have clear screenshots of the road position and reg from playing the video directly on the laptop.

I definitely would, this is the performance from a professional full time driver, no excuse for that, trained to know better but just being lazy, you reacted well and had the use of a small bit of the shoulder, next person to encounter him may not be so lucky.

The webpage has email address for director and transport manager, the majority of the time they welcome such feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Just a few minor bits and pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭copperhead

@ sentient_6
    looks like the road is too narrow for the lorry
    he probably had to go that wide to let the trailer clear the corner
    in the past i have drove artics on small roads to the likes of Castletownbere and you its not fun belive me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

copperhead wrote: »
    @ sentient_6
    looks like the road is too narrow for the lorry
    he probably had to go that wide to let the trailer clear the corner
    in the past i have drove artics on small roads to the likes of Castletownbere and you its not fun belive me

You know what's not fun... coming around a corner to find an artic on your side of the road.

He didn't "have to go that wide" as you put it, and it wouldn't serve much comfort to a dead persons family.

He shouldn't be on that road in the first place, if it's absolutely necessary there should be a warning vehicle in front as with wide loads.

Finally, if he finds himself stuck on a bad road accidentally, he should take it at an absolute crawl, which he clearly isn't doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Now is a good time to post an update before things descent into ifs buts and maybes. I emailed the video to the company director and transport manager and got an apology the next day.

The location is this is the R358 between Ahascragh and Ballinasloe and there is actually an alternative route thats almost the same length with wider straighter roads. I suggested this and they said they'd pass it on to the driver.

That's it really, i didn't call traffic watch in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭davehey79

100KM road long sweeping bend !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Why I never pull in to the hard shoulder to invite an overtake,
    like the white squashy did there.

More likely a case of "fúck he's going for it! must move out of the way!" pulling into a hard shoulder on a left bend is very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

People really don't like when you don't pull in for them. I drove to Mayo from Dublin last year and got tailgated hard several times. I wouldn't mind the majority of the road was flat, open stretches with good visibility and very little traffic in the opposite lane. Cruise control set to 105kph the whole time. Absolutely no need for it than wanting to get their own way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

DaveyDave wrote: »
    People really don't like when you don't pull in for them. I drove to Mayo from Dublin last year and got tailgated hard several times. I wouldn't mind the majority of the road was flat, open stretches with good visibility and very little traffic in the opposite lane. Cruise control set to 105kph the whole time. Absolutely no need for it than wanting to get their own way.

I always pull over for people personally if its safe to do. Why inconvenience another road user unnecessarily? Similarly on country roads, if i am in the camper and there are a few cars behind i will pull over into a lay-by and let people pass.

For the video above, making a poor decision to pull in on a left hand bend does not make never pulling in for other road users the right way to behave on the our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

From the ROTR (emphasis added) page 71.

'If a driver wants to allow a vehicle behind them to overtake, they may pull in to the hard shoulder briefly (but do not continue driving in the hard shoulder) as long as no pedestrians or cyclists are already using it and no junctions or entrances are nearby.'

If you're pushing on at the speed limit, to hell with whoever is behind you. Let them overtake when they can. I'm not going to risk driving in the hard shoulder at 100kph.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    From the ROTR (emphasis added) page 71.

'If a driver wants to allow a vehicle behind them to overtake, they may pull in to the hard shoulder briefly (but do not continue driving in the hard shoulder) as long as no pedestrians or cyclists are already using it and no junctions or entrances are nearby.'

If you're pushing on at the speed limit, to hell with whoever is behind you. Let them overtake when they can. I'm not going to risk driving in the hard shoulder at 100kph.

If you hit someone or burst a tyre see how quick they stop to help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,244 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

cpoh1 wrote: »
    I always pull over for people personally if its safe to do. Why inconvenience another road user unnecessarily? Similarly on country roads, if i am in the camper and there are a few cars behind i will pull over into a lay-by and let people pass.

For the video above, making a poor decision to pull in on a left hand bend does not make never pulling in for other road users the right way to behave on the our roads.

Eh, I was in no way inconveniencing anyone, they could have easily overtaken if they wanted to. This was on the N5, long open stretches with clear visibility and very little oncoming traffic. I passed a few slower vehicles myself no problem they just wanted to bully me into driving in the shoulder at 100kph.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I passed a few slower vehicles myself no problem they just wanted to bully me into driving in the shoulder at 100kph.

I think your imagination is running wild on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,892 ✭✭✭✭josip

Your best movie yet and we only get to see the trailer? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

When uploading did YT ask if there was actually any video there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

mordeith wrote: »
    Just a few minor bits and pieces

That first clip on the roundabout; you were lucky to come away with your life and the way you had to blast the horn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭howareyakid

There's a few stretches of the N5 that have anything but wide open spaces and even hard shoulders for that matter! I agree about pulling in on the hard shoulder though: if driving at or close to the speed limit I wouldn't tend to pull in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

salonfire wrote: »
    That first clip on the roundabout; you were lucky to come away with your life and the way you had to blast the horn.

I know sure. I should have titled it 'OMG, close call HORROR smash!'

salonfire wrote: »

No harm blowing and letting a wanker know they’re being a wanker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,469 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Sounds like it happened over here and looks like he went under the trailer. :eek:

Nothing graphic just a stupid overtake into a right turning tractor and trailer.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=kIyD_1594516325&p=1

> https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=114004952&postcount=586

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

One from last week.

Another one, shocked at the taxi, but the car behind - wtf?

Mickey see, mickey do!

Mickey see, mickey do!

Mickey saw, sat there a while and then did lol, wouldn't instill a lot of confidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Very quick clip from today.

Perhaps a tyre master but hasn't mastered the art of driving yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

bladespin wrote: »

Another one, shocked at the taxi, but the car behind - wtf?

It appears like the taxi (and probably the second driver) has already proceeded beyond the stop line before the dash cam approaches. Hard to tell if they jumped the red here (Although - not sure what he was waiting on.. maybe thought the pedestrian was going to cross?)

Unless you know something else about the sequence of these lights OP?

Advertisement