Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Very strange scenario - are you sure there was nothing beforehand between you not on the cam? With no sound you could also speculate that you left off the accelerator to block him getting ahead of you instead of just proceeding with the overtake of the truck. Again its very unusual that you would stop like that on a dual carriageway regardless of another motorists gesturing...

I didn't stop, we were actually going at 65km/h and the BMW was ahead quite some time, the traffic had slowed a lot as cars were going in and coming out of the service station.

He was 2 cars behind and had pulled across into the left lane, sure for all I knew he was pulling in to go into the station, I can't read his mind.... He was pulled close enough he was touching off my window at the side and when I looked he started screaming, couldn't make out what but anyway I was like ok and was motoring on, forgot was in 5th so the 86hp **** box wouldn't move off as quick as I would be use to in other cars....

Reason for poor video is took it off screen on laptop and there was 100% no before or after and I didn't flip him off or try to ram him or block in any way.

Sure as soon as he cleared the BMW he went on the attack on a silver i30 and was hanging out his window and waving, he drove across in front of them and planted on the brakes and done this again and again and then he was gone, he was absolutely flying.

So in future someone is waving and touching the side window I should just ram them out of the way??? I was actually also watching the truck as cars were pulling out I was leaving a safe space as I don't sit beside one of those especially in a traffic lane which has been narrowed as the one I was in... Called reading the road and as a professional driver I take driving seriously and safety is number 1. I thought a motorbike was there when I seen the arm hence I looked over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

So in future someone is waving and touching the side window I should just ram them out of the way??? I was actually also watching the truck as cars were pulling out I was leaving a safe space as I don't sit beside one of those especially in a traffic lane which has been narrowed as the one I was in... Called reading the road and as a professional driver I take driving seriously and safety is number 1. I thought a motorbike was there when I seen the arm hence I looked over.

In future drive defensively, complete your overtaking maneuver as quickly as possible and pull over. That guy was much better off in the sunset than beside you like that or even on your bumper.

Your camera so your fault. Do you not know how this works?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Your camera so your fault. Do you not know how this works?

That's a bit harsh, in fairness to the camera driver the other person was completely at fault with the cut in and overtake from the left.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

That's a bit harsh, in fairness to the camera driver the other person was completely at fault with the cut in and overtake from the left.

New around these parts?

Post here at your peril.....

• Advertisement

They were been sarcastic.... But thank you.

Look I'd say hands up if I did something but I wasn't, I was actually very tired and just plodding along, no rush or stress.... There was no need for his driving and I was in the left lane as soon as I cleared the BMW as he was @95km/h in the 100km)h zone just at the flyover as with the works the 60km/h zone was extended to cover a longer distance due to road works.

Even if I were a slow auld dithering auld one there was no need to do what he did and as the lane was narrowed for works and a tanker and passing the service station it could have been one hell of a mess and don't forget all the cars travelling behind too close to of course....

In future drive defensively, complete your overtaking maneuver as quickly as possible and pull over. That guy was much better off in the sunset than beside you like that or even on your bumper.

And that's exactly it, I don't hold people up, I'd prefer to let him off on ahead and be pulled.... Saying that he was extremely lucky that day, a Tucson roads policing had pulled a BMW 1 series at the top of the hill at the exit for Newtown so just missed him.....

I was going wouldn't it be hilarious if they were there but my prayers weren't answered.

I have only ever pulled up alongside someone to let them know either a puncture, the rear hub was actually ready to come off it was shaking that violently or the car would go sideways when they broke and I mean badly or no brake lights or say a truck where there load had shifted or strap were quite likely to snag..... Not at speed by the way.....
    I hadn't a breeze why I could see out the corner of my eye an arm at my window

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

you can report to guards if you want, but they really wont do anything. I've experienced worse, and I got nothing more than a fairly poor excuse why they wouldnt be prosecuting.

{EDIT}: Unless additional footage shows him being a total c0ck jockey... then maybe they will.

Muppet Man wrote: »
    you can report to guards if you want, but they really wont do anything. I've experienced worse, and I got nothing more than a fairly poor excuse why they wouldnt be prosecuting.

{EDIT}: Unless additional footage shows him being a total c0ck jockey... then maybe they will.

I'll have to find my external drive as laptop is brutal, I'll see can I add it on then as it may show, can't say as he was pulling away fast and doing 130km/h at the very least.

Plodding along in the right lane doesn't help, that's what probably pissed him off!

• Advertisement

Plodding along in the right lane doesn't help, that's what probably pissed him off!

? 65km/h in a 60km/h and keeping a safe distance from the BMW in front, I have cruise which I then throw onto 108km/h after there and stick to that till it's 120 and on I go, I wasn't holding anyone up, I passed the BMW in front and moved in just ahead of him and not one other car passed me till the other side of glen of the downs.

I knows it's a while since I threw up a video but now I remember why I haven't honestly bothered.

As I mentioned I do not keep anyone back if they want to go quicker I'm happy for them to do so so they're caught and save me, it's amazing how well this actually works.

Last week a ez living van came up behind, he had to have been doing 160km/h and the Garda was at 1st on ramp on south side of newtown, he didn't catch up to him till bray, I let him past as soon as I had overtaken the 2 cars I wanted to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

Nah you should have moved in left behind the truck if you were not going to overtake it instead of sitting in the overtaking lane

No wonder the roads are a hellhole with that kind of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

McCrack wrote: »
    Nah you should have moved in left behind the truck if you were not going to overtake it instead of sitting in the overtaking lane

Ironically enough, had the Audi not been undertaking, he could have moved left.

Oh my dear lord jebus I was overtaking I was actually following the BMW in front, I had let off the accelerator as at that point the Audi driver was waving at my window and actually hitting off it, I looked over and said what twice which is in the video, only reason I put up off the screen was the laptop hasn't the memory to download but I could play it.... Need a new one badly.

I'm working on the complete video to show I was moving with the traffic and did not impede anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

People don't drive that badly because they're 'pissed off' - they drive like that because there's something seriously wrong with them. Also, the overtaking lane on that stretch of road is currently very narrow, so I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to pass a wide vehicle with a huge blind spot there until I'm absolutely certain that the driver can see I'm there and will hold his lane. Especially with cars emerging from the Circle K garage ahead.

.anon. wrote: »
    People don't drive that badly because they're 'pissed off' - they drive like that because there's something seriously wrong with them. Also, the overtaking lane on that stretch of road is currently very narrow, so I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to pass a wide vehicle with a huge blind spot there until I'm absolutely certain that the driver can see I'm there and will hold his lane. Especially with cars emerging from the Circle K garage ahead.

Someone that gets it.... Exactly this I could see cars ahead weaving in and out and the vehicle directly in front of the truck turned late into the services. I never sit beside a truck if I can't pass so I stay back.....

Ironically enough, had the Audi not been undertaking, he could have moved left.

We both know he wasn't going to do that, our dash cam driver instead took his foot off the accelerator in the overtaking lane quite possibly in an effort to piss the Audi driver off which he clearly did

Anyone who uses the N11 and motorways regularly will meet these dopes hogging the overtaking lane/crawling passed without any consideration for faster traffic behind them

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Problem was the gap you left.
    It gave the dildo an opportunity and he took it.

If you're too nervous or unsure to pass traffic in the overtaking lane get out of it/don't get into it, stay in the driving lane and let others pass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭Damien360

inforfun wrote: »
    Problem was the gap you left.
    It gave the dildo an opportunity and he took it.

I don't think that's the issue. Slow moving truck that could come to sudden stop and the tool accelerates into that space and then jumps across lane. He gained nothing. The traffic was still crawling. The position of the BMW would be effectively blind from where he was. It could be stopped at about the position of the cab and he will have an accident.

I do the exact same as the poster, and I never stay alongside a truck in slow moving traffic in the blind spot. Plus at that distance, the poster doesn't need to keep tapping the brake in slow traffic which helps traffic flow.

If I can upload the original video I will, you will hear me asking him what twice as he is waving and now has his head out the window screaming..... You can't make out what he is saying because I couldn't.

This happens actually quite regularly on the N11 and M11 where it's happened to me and I see it done to others also... Very aggressive drivers and yes some may well be a little slow to move back in but I can hand on heart say I'm not that type, I rather let them off as I e stated to let them be caught speeding and it actually does happen the odd time which has saved me a few times....

I 1st thought a motorbike had squeezed up, then I was thinking is it a cop car or then is something wrong with my car.... I didn't want to be in a crash so I didn't try to actually crash into him and let him off exactly how we were trained to do so....

I'm a professional bus driver and I'm at it long enough now that nothing shocks or surprises me anymore.

Even if let's say I was a poor driver and wasn't the greatest and was just going along, who in their right mind thinks what he done was ok in any situation with a fuel tanker fully loaded with highly flammable liquids, he could have caused a serious collision.

I didn't want that so let him on. He was obviously off his medication because that is the only explanation I can give for him hanging out his window, pointing at the road signs up the road and then doing flicks in and out passing other cars and brake checking them too.....

Yes the i30 was a bit slow to pull back across but he didn't deserve the treatment I had just got too.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭thefa

Don't think either driver came out looking good from that clip. Cam driver making steady progress in the overtake and draws level with the Audi before stopping overtaking for no good reason. Audi looking to make up a few seconds goes for an impatient undertake, gets a bit of road rage when blocked off and comes close to causing a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

We both know he wasn't going to do that, our dash cam driver instead took his foot off the accelerator in the overtaking lane quite possibly in an effort to piss the Audi driver off which he clearly did

Anyone who uses the N11 and motorways regularly will meet these dopes hogging the overtaking lane/crawling passed without any consideration for faster traffic behind them

Overtaking the truck, with no "out" is not good practice either, no harm to ease off until the BMW was clear. If a car comes out of the garage slowly, truck tries to avoid a rear ending, OP gets minced.

I drive that road often enough and have seen some ridiculously stupid stuff at the garage/slip road.

OP states he was above the limit too, it's 60km/h for a reason there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

the lazy hand and arm lying out an open window - thats your flag right there , the sign of a total cock womble

thefa wrote: »
    Don't think either driver came out looking good from that clip. Cam driver making steady progress in the overtake and draws level with the Audi before stopping overtaking for no good reason. Audi looking to make up a few seconds goes for an impatient undertake, gets a bit of road rage when blocked off and comes close to causing a crash.

It’s like none of you bother to read the post that accompanies a video and just watch it before diving in feet first. It’s been explained a few times by the poster why they slowed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

If you're too nervous or unsure to pass traffic in the overtaking lane get out of it/don't get into it, stay in the driving lane and let others pass

Not possible when there's a nutter in an Audi gesticulating alongside you. Do some people have issues with reading or comprehension? It's not about being nervous; it's about waiting a few seconds until it's safe to complete the manoeuvre.

Not possible when there's a nutter in an Audi gesticulating alongside you. Do some people have issues with reading or comprehension? It's not about being nervous; it's about waiting a few seconds until it's safe to complete the manoeuvre.

It is entirely possible if you/our dash cam driver stay out of the overtaking lane in the first place if you are too nervous/unsure about passing a truck instead of dawdling and decelerating in the overtaking lane.

It is entirely possible if you/our dash cam driver stay out of the overtaking lane in the first place if you are too nervous/unsure about passing a truck instead of dawdling and decelerating in the overtaking lane.

Watch it, I wasn't hanging around, I was following traffic and doing so was going slightly over the limit.... The Audi ended up doing 130km/h plus the rest in a 100km/h zone.
    I'm driving long enough and know how to read dangers and as I've said numerous times I couldn't care less he has booted it off up the road as because if there wasn't faster drivers like him then I'd have lost my licence now at this stage.....

I let them off, why are so many finding this difficult to understand, the only reason I held back at that point was because I hadn't a clue what was just after waving at my window and touching off it, if I kept going and there was something seriously wrong or obviously if you watch the video if I had we would have contacted and he would have crashed into a fully loaded fuel tanker, highly flammable of course too.

• Advertisement

Watch it, I wasn't hanging around, I was following traffic and doing so was going slightly over the limit.... The Audi ended up doing 130km/h plus the rest in a 100km/h zone.
    I'm driving long enough and know how to read dangers and as I've said numerous times I couldn't care less he has booted it off up the road as because if there wasn't faster drivers like him then I'd have lost my licence now at this stage.....

I let them off, why are so many finding this difficult to understand, the only reason I held back at that point was because I hadn't a clue what was just after waving at my window and touching off it, if I kept going and there was something seriously wrong or obviously if you watch the video if I had we would have contacted and he would have crashed into a fully loaded fuel tanker, highly flammable of course too.

You are clearly going to justify your actions (or inaction to be more precise) and that you were not in any way culpable for the situation that developed with the Audi however you failed to maintain progress in the overtaking lane and not only that decelerated in the over taking lane leaving a very large gap between you and the BMW in front and also a gap for the Audi to dangerously squeeze in.

Advertisement