Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

ants09 wrote: »

Id say you know yourself how that could've been easily avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Rather than use your break pedal and stop for the obstruction in the road you attempted to go into the right-hand turn lane for the other side of road to bypass it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭accensi0n

"His middle finger must give some entertainment value around his neck of the woods."

??
    He never used his middle finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Car driver is the dickhead here. No wonder he has the comments turned off!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

cam: 1 penalty point for entering a hatched area

lorry: 1 pointer finger that upset you so much you uploaded the video

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

To counter here - that was terrible driving by the lorry driver to pull out into on coming traffic like that forcing people to stop rather than waiting for an appropriate gap.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

cpoh1 wrote: »
    To counter here - that was terrible driving by the lorry driver to pull out into on coming traffic like that forcing people to stop rather than waiting for an appropriate gap.

I'm in no way condoning anyone in that video's behaviour, but I know that junction (between Swords & Malahide), and it's an absolute ba$tard to get out from at times...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think most drivers with a bit of experience would cut HGV drivers a lot of slack for moves like that.
    The 'appropriate gap' for him might never occur at busy times.
    Also, people who put dashcam vids up on Youtube with company names in the title, are usually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I'm in no way condoning anyone in that video's behaviour, but I know that junction (between Swords & Malahide), and it's an absolute ba$tard to get out from at times...

I don't know that junction myself, but it's clearly one where a HGV driver could be waiting a hell of a long time before getting a chance to emerge, particularly if turning right like in the video. And there could be a significant tailback of other vehicles behind him as a result.

It's not that much of an inconvenience to slow down enough to let him out in a situation like that. I'd consider it just simple courtesy and consideration for another road user. I note that while the dashcammer wasn't going fast (just 48 to 49 km/h), he showed no sign of slowing down until the last second, and instead his/her instinct was to move into the right-turn lane for traffic coming in the opposite direction.

So while the lorry driver was wrong according to letter of the law, I'd definitely be cutting him some slack here. I certainly wouldn't be posting a video on YouTube about him, for the whole world to see.

• Advertisement

I get that the junction is tough to get out of but in fairness pulling out in front of a car like that is not on. What if he wasnt doing the speed limit?

The second thing is that the driver of the car could see traffic moving in the opposite direction and made the decision to move around the protruding nose of the truck on the fair assumption that he wasnt going anywhere with the oncoming traffic. The truck driver decided to go for it anyway exacerbating the move and inconveniencing traffic on the other side of the road too.

Car impatient but truck by far the worse offender.

I don't know that junction myself, but it's clearly one where a HGV driver could be waiting a hell of a long time before getting a chance to emerge, particularly if turning right like in the video. And there could be a significant tailback of other vehicles behind him as a result.

It's not that much of an inconvenience to slow down enough to let him out in a situation like that. I'd consider it just simple courtesy and consideration for another road user. I note that while the dashcammer wasn't going fast (just 48 to 49 km/h), he showed no sign of slowing down until the last second, and instead his/her instinct was to move into the right-turn lane for traffic coming in the opposite direction.

So while the lorry driver was wrong according to letter of the law, I'd definitely be cutting him some slack here. I certainly wouldn't be posting a video on YouTube about him, for the whole world to see.

Junction is busy so I can pull out in front of fast moving traffic? The lorry driver was more than wrong by the letter of the law, it was poor driving etiquette.

Junction is busy so I can pull out in front of fast moving traffic? The lorry driver was more than wrong by the letter of the law, it was poor driving etiquette.

Ahem....you've just pointed out in your first post that the car was obeying the speed limit. The dashcam shows 48 to 49 km/h, so I'm presuming the limit there is 50. Hardly "fast moving".

Also in relation to your first post...if the dashcammer was "okay" to pull into what's supposed to be the right turn lane for traffic coming from the other direction, how was he to know that one of those cars wouldn't be moving into that lane to turn right, and thereby meeting him head on?

Don't say that the car coming the other way would have been indicating. We all know that many drivers don't indicate at all in such circumstances, or don't indicate until they're already making the manoeuvre.

Ahem....you've just pointed out in your first post that the car was obeying the speed limit. The dashcam shows 48 to 49 km/h, so I'm presuming the limit there is 50. Hardly "fast moving".

You are right, my apologies, a truck pulling out in front of a car 60m away travelling at 50kph is not fast moving traffic.

Car was completely wrong in this instance not to brake, stop and wait for the truck to finish his exit of the junction without complaint or critique of the truck driver.

Jaysus. Unless you're being sarcastic, I wish it was as easy to win arguments in this house. Maybe I should have married you instead. :D

How the fúck did she get there!
    she should have been made to do a lap of shame before being let out. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

Woman drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

Rather than use your break pedal and stop for the obstruction in the road you attempted to go into the right-hand turn lane for the other side of road to bypass it...

I was not the one driving, i just posted a link to the video. Also the car driver did break as if they didn't then the truck driver would of crashed into them.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Car driver is the dickhead here. No wonder he has the comments turned off!

The lorry driver is a bigger dickhead moving //bullying himself out from a minor road to a major road.

cam: 1 penalty point for entering a hatched area

lorry: 1 pointer finger that upset you so much you uploaded the video

Lorry Driver 3 points for Failure to yield right of way at a yield sign/yield line.
    josip wrote: »
    I think most drivers with a bit of experience would cut HGV drivers a lot of slack for moves like that.
    The 'appropriate gap' for him might never occur at busy times.
    Also, people who put dashcam vids up on Youtube with company names in the title, are usually

I think most lorry drivers wouldn't do that kind of maneuver in the first place.

You are right, my apologies, a truck pulling out in front of a car 60m away travelling at 50kph is not fast moving traffic.

Car was completely wrong in this instance not to brake, stop and wait for the truck to finish his exit of the junction without complaint or critique of the truck driver.

How is the car wrong, the lorry driver failed to yield right of way coming from a minor road to a major road.

Pipe down your first thought was to go around him using the hatching and other directions turn right lane

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

Pipe down your first thought was to go around him using the hatching and other directions turn right lane

Did you read my first reply, oblivious not as i said was not the one driving, i just posted the link :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

yes, given that the car driver couldn't legally pass the obstruction, he should have given way

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

There's another non-dashcam video of a Mini ending up on the track at Interlagos during a Copa Mercedes race. Don't think the marshalls are the best there on minor race days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

tcawley29 wrote: »
    Woman drivers

Woman reverser!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

People trucks and buses can't take off likecars, they need space, regularly I go out into an empty roundabout to then be met with blasting of a horn or a car near in the side as they are going that fast....

Regularly in ballinteer cars are passing in the left lane with no indication to turn right, going same direction as bus, it's crazy and even more crazy that the roads are actually so quiet and they aren't been held up at all.... Amount of numpties causing near crashes is mind boggling especially when it's their insurance which will be going up ...

If a bus gets destroyed, we go back and get another....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

give the HGV a break in these situations, most of them will repay the karma , by pulling in and letting you pass on narrow roads
    etc, play it forward

that said , some are absolute c*nts as well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

If you are going to speed, switch off the dashcam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

cml387 wrote: »
    If you are going to speed, switch off the dashcam.

Clown, tried to take a right angle corner at about 40mph then. He must have thought he was playing the playstation...

lucky there was nothing on the other side of the road on multiple occasions... cutting out with zero view at 100 mph a couple of car lengths away

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

give the HGV a break in these situations, most of them will repay the karma , by pulling in and letting you pass on narrow roads
    etc, play it forward

that said , some are absolute c*nts as well

I agree that we can all be more accommodating to larger vehicles but that truck just pulled out with traffic coming both ways, that was just out right dangerous.
    I don't care if he had been waiting ages or if the traffic was backed up, nothing gives him the right to put other people at risk.
    Sure the cammer did nothing to help the situation, hopefully if they read the comments here they can see what they did wrong. (not reacting in time by reading the road (was obvious what was about to happen from way before they reacted), also the attempt to overtake there was lethal, just a thick, bone headed move). I'm surprised they didn't roll forward more and block the trucker from completing the turn given the attitude displayed)

But I have to take exception to HGV's pulling in and letting people by, I have never seen that happen in all my years of driving. I've seen the occasional tractor pull in but even they like to just plod along regardless of the tail behind them.

Advertisement