Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

McCrack wrote: »
    What if the dash cam driver didn't start flashing incessantly at the Prius when it overtook them? What would have happened then?

What flashing?
    am i missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

If it was just the stopping in the middle of the road I'd leave it, as ridiculous as it is it wouldn't be worth your time, but brake checking is absolutely uncalled for. It's also a mandatory court appearance if reported, according to one Garda I was speaking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 AIRMiNet

AIRMiNet wrote: »
    Am I at fault here? Wide angle lens FOV makes objects appear farther than they actually are.

Thanks for the replies guys. Reported to local Gardai.

Got a call back saying they have spoken with the prius driver over the phone and told him this was unacceptable. He was shocked to get the call and was warned this could go to court if I make a formal statement. He apologised for his behaviour. I will leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Did you exchange nice-ities in the car park also, looks like ye were going to the same place. That can be akward

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Got a call back saying they have spoken with the prius driver over the phone and told him this was unacceptable. He was shocked to get the call and was warned this could go to court if I make a formal statement. He apologised for his behaviour. I will leave it at that.

Excellent result.

He'll think twice now about acting the prat in his 'self charging' hybrid...

• Advertisement

Excellent result.

He'll think twice now about acting the prat in his 'self charging' hybrid...
    I don't see what the type of vehicle he drives has anything to do with it, unless you're referring to his "self charging " brain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Just curious how they got his number, address ok but phone number?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

Just curious how they got his number, address ok but phone number?

It could be on file for any number of reasons, but possibly via the drivers insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Owner vehicle log book/ VLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,413 ✭✭✭cml387

Or possibly Garda made the whole thing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Did you exchange nice-ities in the car park also, looks like ye were going to the same place. That can be akward

This is true. :)

Had one about two weeks ago myself, while on the way to a supermarket. Somebody performed a dangerous overtake into the face of oncoming traffic as we approached a bend, forcing me to step on the brakes in order to let him back in and avoid a head-on collision. I flashed the lights as he went past.

He didn't make much further progress though, because he ran into a long line of traffic just ahead, and couldn't overtake anybody else.

Turns out he was heading the same place as myself, and since there were three different junctions to take in order to get there, he probably thought I was deliberately following him in order to have words.

Anyway, he pulled into one spot in the car park, and I pulled into one just a little bit further up, such that he was just walking past as I was getting out of my own car.

He glared at me with a real "yeah?" attitude. I simply and pleasantly wished him well for the three seconds he'd saved with the dangerous overtake. "Make the most of them now, won't you?" I said to him.

He just grunted and kept going.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Somebody performed a dangerous overtake into the face of oncoming traffic as we approached a bend, forcing me to step on the brakes in order to let him back in and avoid a head-on collision. I flashed the lights as he went past.

I've never quite got the point of flashing someone after they overtake you. Drawing their visual attention to behind them and away from the road in front seems counter productive for all involved. Either that or you attempting to temporarily blind the person as vengeance, which again seems like something I don't want to do if they are ahead of me.

The only time I'd flash a car in front of me, is if they've left their lights off and it's after dark.

liamog wrote: »
    I've never quite got the point of flashing someone after they overtake you. Drawing their visual attention to behind them and away from the road in front seems counter productive for all involved. Either that or you attempting to temporarily blind the person as vengeance, which again seems like something I don't want to do if they are ahead of me.

The only time I'd flash a car in front of me, is if they've left their lights off and it's after dark.

Just to point out that no matter whether you're flashing to express unhappiness at a move they've just pulled, or to signal that their lights aren't on, it has the same result of what you describe as "drawing their visual attention to behind them and away from the road in front".

And if you do it after dark, like you said you might do, then there's a far greater chance of temporarily blinding them than doing it in the middle of a bright afternoon, like I did.

So by your own rationale, flashing after dark to say "your lights aren't on" is more hazardous than flashing during the daytime to say "that was a dodgy move there".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Am I at fault here? Wide angle lens FOV makes objects appear farther than they actually are.

Your sense of defensive driving here was non-existent. Where was your attempt to stop as you noticed the car barging in on your lane? That could have been a driver in a diabetic coma or anything in which case you'd be in a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

salonfire wrote: »
    Your sense of defensive driving here was non-existent. Where was your attempt to stop as you noticed the car barging in on your lane? That could have been a driver in a diabetic coma or anything in which case you'd be in a crash.

Wow, it took almost 20 hours before someone tried to blame the person who posted the video. That must be some kind of record for the motors forum!

high horse wrote: »
    Wow, it took almost 20 hours before someone tried to blame the person who posted the video. That must be some kind of record for the motors forum!

Nobody is being blamed. It turns out the person in the Prius was just an ass. I'm suggesting alternative scenarios which could - and does - occur and how one might save themselves a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

100% troll

Isambard wrote: »
    100% troll

People advocating for defensive driving techniques, including the Institute of Advanced Motorists, are trolls :confused:

Sometimes, defensive driving involves asserting your right of way. If the OP braked heavily after accelerating, they could just as easily be hit from the rear.

high horse wrote: »

Here's one where the poster is at fault, but in my defense....

It was hidden by the A pillar.
    No other similar cones around.
    No road markings to show it was a 2 way road (the previous entrance to the car park is marked), and the bushes obscure the entrance, so it's no wonder people cut the corner.
    I wasn't the first to hit it, and won't be the last.
    I'm sure I'll think up a few more :D

This was obviously my own fault, and fortunately no damage to the car.

• Advertisement

kirving wrote: »

No road markings to show it was a 2 way road (the previous entrance to the car park is marked), and the bushes obscure the entrance, so it's no wonder people cut the corner.

It's ok, I cream them out of it all the time, no road space seems safe anymore

Monkslands, that's the first time I've ever seen one of those bollards on that road, maybe they never stay up long enough for me to see them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Sometimes, defensive driving involves asserting your right of way.
    Your sense of defensive driving here was non-existent.

From one extreme to the other.
    You really showed that bollard who the boss was - proper defensive driving skill there :D.

They bounce right back up anyway

Kramer wrote: »
    From one extreme to the other.
    You really showed that bollard who the boss was - proper defensive driving skill there :D.

Oh I fully appreciate the irony. But sure we can all learn so I thought I'd share my own mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

You are quite wrong to say that defensive driving was non-existent. If you pay attention, you can see quite clearly that the OP has slowed enough to easily manage a stop had the 'asshole' continued on his merry way. I would have stopped, as I regularly do, and cursed myself afterwards for allowing the aggressor to have his way.

Perfect driving OP. Not unsafe, just holding your own.

Thanks from a wimp!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

In the Red Prius video , surely the Prius driver is obliged to turn left only according to the solid white line (which they should not cross)and use the roundabout to orientate themselves back to where they wanted to go , aswell as the other infringements ingnorance, arrogance and braking for no reason.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

And if you do it after dark, like you said you might do, then there's a far greater chance of temporarily blinding them than doing it in the middle of a bright afternoon, like I did.

So by your own rationale, flashing after dark to say "your lights aren't on" is more hazardous than flashing during the daytime to say "that was a dodgy move there".

As far as I'm concerned there's far more risk when a driver in front of me with no lights on, so it makes sense to draw their attention to correct the hazard.

Flashing someone who's already passed you is the equivalent of shouting at someone so you can have a glare at them and has no positive impact on any hazard

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned there's far more risk when a driver in front of me with no lights on, so it makes sense to draw their attention to correct the hazard.

Flashing someone who's already passed you is the equivalent of shouting at someone so you can have a glare at them and has no positive impact on any hazard

I personally think there's nothing wrong in letting somebody who performs a dangerous manoeuvre know that at least somebody else disapproves of an action that was damn close to causing a head-on collision and possible subsequent pile-up.

Honestly, it was the sort of move that I'm 99% sure would have brought some Garda action had one been around to witness it, or if I'd had a dashcam myself to record it.

Maybe you think it's okay to let such drivers continue on their way without any sort of reproach. I don't. It was a stupid move that put me and others (including himself) in danger. A quick flash of the lights is fairly harmless in comparison.

Advertisement