Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Maybe you think it's okay to let such drivers continue on their way without any sort of reproach. I don't. It was a stupid move that put me and others (including himself) in danger. A quick flash of the lights is fairly harmless in comparison.

I don't see flashing at someone as a reproach, it's you trying to grab the other drivers attention to wag the finger. A most pointless exercise indeed. I don't think any person is going to change their behaviour because you decided to distract them after a dodgy maneuver.

To me flashing someone is a device to say go ahead I'm giving you priority or I'm trying to communicate that there is a problem you need to resolve. It's not a mechanism to express dissatisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

liamog wrote: »
    To me flashing someone is a device to say go ahead I'm giving you priority or I'm trying to communicate that there is a problem you need to resolve. It's not a mechanism to express dissatisfaction.

Yeah, that's what the horn's for :pac:
    Press that sucker in the middle of your steering & hold it down - feel the road rage well up inside oneself :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

fritzelly wrote: »

No, it is not, look at the video again it is a continuous white line all the way towards the traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

fritzelly wrote: »

You've just posted a pic showing that is isn't even remotely dashed. If there isn't a left turn only sign there then I'd be amazed and it needs one. That gob****e in the prius was trying to nip out in front of traffic and across two lanes one of which had a truck in it.

The biggest wrong here is that he didn't get a tap for his troubles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

sounding your horn or flashing your lights other than as a warning of your approach is likely to make poor drivers more likely to resort to road rage. Hard to restrain yourself I know, but good practise to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I've been sitting on this one for a few months trying to understand it, but I still can't.

AirBiscuit wrote: »
    I've been sitting on this one for a few months trying to understand it, but I still can't.

was going to park but changed mind, oblivious to everyone else.

Isambard wrote: »
    was going to park but changed mind, oblivious to everyone else.
    This is the kind of indecisiveness that causes a large number of crashes!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Australianesque levels of commentary there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

Must have thought he was back in Germany for a while.

• Advertisement

This is the kind of indecisiveness that causes a large number of crashes!

Indeed, I'd say he was on phone, took an age to go at the green arrow. Definitely not concentrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

Might be a stranger to the area - frustrating though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭honda boi

The commentary alone is brilliant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They were too focused on the other clown that they didn't even contemplate having to stop from 42 seconds on when the pedestrian was obviously about to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Hurrache wrote: »
    They were too focused on the other clown that they didn't even contemplate having to stop from 42 seconds on when the pedestrian was obviously about to cross.

Not a zebra crossing though, so no requirement to stop

Those path markings are a disgrace, a councils attempt to put the onus on drivers to allow people to cross when they have no right of way but some assume they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Those path markings are a disgrace, a councils attempt to put the onus on drivers to allow people to cross when they have no right of way but some assume they have.

100% agree, the only thing they are good at is causing confusion and contributing to accidents.

RosieJoe wrote: »

I don't know that's true. If the pedestrian was there first you should give them precedence . They're a road user too.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    iwillhtfu wrote: »

There's a yield sign right before it, but either way, it's shows a lack of courtesy and foresight.

There's a yield sign right before it, but either way, it's shows a lack of courtesy and foresight.

It's nothing to do with courtesy. I've seen those lines on two lane roundabouts, so what happens if the first driver feels all courteous and the second lane driver doesn't realise he's a courteous kind of guy. Those markings are an accident waiting to happen and you can be sure the council will be very quiet when asked about them.

• Advertisement

It has everything to do with courtesy, there's a yield sign for the car driving towards where the pedestrian was about to cross, but the driver was more concerned at beeping at the car.

the lines are for the guidance of the pedestrian as to the optimum place to cross.

It has everything to do with courtesy, there's a yield sign for the car driving towards where the pedestrian was about to cross, but the driver was more concerned at beeping at the car.
    A few things:
    • As others have correctly pointed out, it's not a zebra crossing. The very next exit on that roundabout has a full zebra crossing so it would be different there.
    • The next roundabout in the sequence also has a full pedestrian crossing, where even traffic currently on the roundabout has to stop.
      SqhtoId.png
    • There is enough of a car length at that entrance for the pedestrian to cross behind a yielding car
    • Yield signs relate to vehicles and juctions, not pedestrians. No other pedestrian crossings in the town have yield signs, even though you do need to "yield" to pedestrians at the proper crossings. This is closer to a courtesy crossing.
    • Finally, The white Audi was the one that beeped, not us (also shouts "bitch" out his open window, which causes the pedestrian to hesitate and look around)

You wasted your time with that post, i know what a pedestrian crossing is indicated by.

It's amazing how all of a sudden people are extremely anal to official road markings when they try exempt themselves from a bit of courtesy when they're approaching a pedestrian obviously trying to cross and they'll have to either yield or stop anyway.

Some of yis are a gas lot all the same. The roads would be a lot more pleasant for everyone if the attitude was relaxed a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

You wasted your time with that post, i know what a pedestrian crossing is indicated by.

It's amazing how all of a sudden people are extremely anal to official road markings when they try exempt themselves from a bit of courtesy when they're approaching a pedestrian obviously trying to cross and they'll have to either yield or stop anyway.

Some of yis are a gas lot all the same. The roads would be a lot more pleasant for everyone if the attitude was relaxed a little.

Give it up man, the problem in that clip is clearly the guy driving towards a roundabout on the wrong side of the road against oncoming traffic oblivious to it all.

Nothing wrong with not stopping for a pedestrian who has no right of way and has just arrived at the side of the road as the cam car approaches, its not like the pedestrian is waiting there with a stream of traffic holding them stopping them crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

And yet another video picked apart so some imagined slight from the cammer can be criticised to a ridiculous level.

AirBiscuit did nothing wrong in that clip, NOTHING.

It's because of the likes of gas lads such as yourself that less and less posters are willing to upload their own clips to boards. Why bother when you know you'll be dragged into some ridiculous discussion involving google maps clips and ROTR regs to defend the most trivially stupid accusations.

Enjoy your whinge over the boring Brit compilations and Russian lunatics because user submitted clips are basically dead here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Courtesy in this case might well cause a serious accident.
    Unless you get out of the car and stop the traffic in the right-hand lane for
    the pedestrian.

It's amazing how all of a sudden people are extremely anal to official road markings when they try exempt themselves from a bit of courtesy when they're approaching two yield signs and a pedestrian obviously trying to cross.
    Right, a few things to clear up that armchair driver view: Courtesy is something you have the choice to show, not some moral obligation.
    Let's review here. Steep downhill, blocked view by bus, adverse traffic event taking place, and it isn't obvious the pedestrian is about to cross until they turn, because there are 3 ways you can proceed on that pavement (straight ahead, left into the car park through the fence, right to cross the road)
    Pedestrians aren't as stupid as you're making out. They know they need to see to the right before they cross, and the bus was blocking their view as well.
    If we were coming down the hill and could see them, in usual circumstances we would let them cross because it wouldn't worsen an already unsafe situation to stop for them.
    And yet the strict adherence and posting the SI on horn usage is conveniently ignored.
    I already told you we weren't the ones that used the horn there, and the horn alerted the pedestrian to nearby danger at an uncontrolled crossing so in this case it was the correct course of action. So are horns good or bad?
    You wasted your time with that post
    True, but only for you, because you didn't read it

I'll leave you with this. If there was a cyclist coming down that hill, pedestrians would know to wait because it would cause adverse braking.
    LxLMj0B.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

Vic_08 wrote: »
    And yet another video picked apart so some imagined slight from the cammer can be criticised to a ridiculous level.

AirBiscuit did nothing wrong in that clip, NOTHING.

It's because of the likes of gas lads such as yourself that less and less posters are willing to upload their own clips to boards. Why bother when you know you'll be dragged into some ridiculous discussion involving google maps clips and ROTR regs to defend the most trivially stupid accusations.

Enjoy your whinge over the boring Brit compilations and Russian lunatics because user submitted clips are basically dead here.

Get over yourself, it's a public discussion forum. Anyone who chooses to post a dash cam video can expect any comment or opinions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Pedestrians aren't as stupid as you're making out. They know they need to see to the right before they cross, and the bus was blocking their view as well.

I'll leave you with this. If there was a cyclist coming down that hill, pedestrians would know to wait because it would cause adverse braking.

Not disputing your post apart from pedestrians and people in general being stupid. Take this recent case and subsequent Court of Appeals process that apportioned 80% liability to the motorist for progressing through a controlled junction where the motorist had a green light and the pedestrian light was red.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/award-to-woman-knocked-down-crossing-dublin-street-increased-to-372-000-1.4502453

Perhaps if it had been an uncontrolled junction the motorist would have less liability but in that case what's the point of controlled junctions if motorists take the majority of liability regardless of the light sequence.
    No wonder jaywalking is rife.

Advertisement