Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

This overtake was far closer then it seems in the video, he was about 2 feet away from hitting our car.
    He overtook between 2-3 cars on the hatch markings so it wasn't a legal overtake..outside of him nearly hitting me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Cabaal wrote: »
    This overtake was far closer then it seems in the video, he was about 2 feet away from hitting our car.
    He overtook between 2-3 cars on the hatch markings so it wasn't a legal overtake..outside of him nearly hitting me

/QUOTE]

Not hatch markings he crossed, solid line for you with broken for them means you are not allowed to overtake but they were once it was safe to do so.

Mind you, slight bend and brow should mean no overtaking on either side.

Yeah, not to say the driver was in any way right, but that’s extremely badly marked.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

RosieJoe wrote: »

Not hatch markings he crossed, solid line for you with broken for them means you are not allowed to overtake but they were once it was safe to do so.

Mind you, slight bend and brow should mean no overtaking on either side.

They started overtaking prior to the broken line though,
    Anyway regardless, he's had a visit and points for his troubles

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

Cabaal wrote: »
    They started overtaking prior to the broken line though,
    Anyway regardless, he's had a visit and points for his troubles

How does the points bit work?
    I know the guards can suggest paying a visit to 'have a word', but I thought that any stronger action would require a case to be brought and you to appear in court to witness your vid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Only if the driver wants to contest it, otherwise there's no need to go as a witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

there's dangerous driving and then there's people making errors. I think this was just a misjudged overtake, seems to me it started more or less at the start of the broken line.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Isambard wrote: »
    there's dangerous driving and then there's people making errors. I think this was just a misjudged overtake, seems to me it started more or less at the start of the broken line.

I think that's just plain dangerous, no problem with the lines or overtaking more than one other vehicle etc but the combination and on a curve/bend - it's borderline mistake/insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Here's the road going North in 2009 ,only one solid white line.
    O.P was just about at the point where the two signs are up ahead
    travelling south.

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.5758157,-7.3290424,3a,75y,55.76h,85.55t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s6_8ZNq9bv1CvGuDF3pMKWA!2e0!5s20090401T000000!7i13312!8i6656

Some roadworks done in the meantime , but a broken line there
    is stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

the markings are there could be fine. That road could handle a safe overtake there of a tractor or cyclist or a car

the guy went and overtook maybe 6 bunched up cars at the same time with no options in between them to abort. You can't judge road markings by stuff like that. He didn't have the view for a 6 car overtake.

broken lines are to allow you to cross into that lane not a license to overtake no matter what

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Another one today. Young fella with L-Plates taking a corner too fast - had I been a few yards down the road I think I'd be dealing with a headache of an insurance claim.

Is it worthwhile reporting this - clearly doesn't have the driving skills they think they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is it worthwhile reporting this - clearly doesn't have the driving skills they think they have.

Not at all - barely a driver who hasn't taken a corner too fast at one point

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

fritzelly wrote: »

Fair enough point. Probably would of chalked it down to accidental rather than inexperience had I not seen the L-plates up on the car.

Yeah, one thing is for certain, a fright like that will remind the learner to respect the dynamics of cornering. They are unlikely to make that mistake again in a hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

I'd report that.

If this person is the learner driver, then they were driving alone which it illegal and which makes their insurance policy null and void....effectively driving uninsured

That is why a learner driver needs to have an experienced driver with them to give a bit of advice here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

micar wrote: »

If this person is the learner driver, then they were driving alone which it illegal and which makes their insurance policy null and void.

That's not entirely correct but that's for another thread. Without knowing the road which looks like a backroad it may well just have been badly signposted and misjudged.

If this person is the learner driver, then they were driving alone which it illegal and which makes their insurance policy null and void....effectively driving uninsured

It doesn't and they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

That is why a learner driver needs to have an experienced driver with them to give a bit of advice here and there.

TBH, even with an experienced driver beside you this sort of thing will still happen.

Lesson well learned on this one, for everyone in that car.

bladespin wrote: »

this is an old chestnut. If the terms of the Policy have been breeched, The Policy is not covering the use of the vehicle, effectively void, although the Insurance Company are obliged to cover third party losses which they may choose to pursue the policyholder for. In such a circumstance, the driver is driving uninsured.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Isambard wrote: »
    this is an old chestnut. If the terms of the Policy have been breeched, The Policy is not covering the use of the vehicle, effectively void, although the Insurance Company are obliged to cover third party losses which they may choose to pursue the policyholder for. In such a circumstance, the driver is driving uninsured.

This is from a court case last year

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/court-rules-on-case-with-implications-for-unaccompanied-learners-1.4316797

"the relevant insurer had advised, if there was a loss to a third party arising from the driving of the accused, the insurer would compensate the third party but seek to recover the cost of that from the accused."

The accused ends up forking out regardless.

So, moral of story......a learner driver should not drive without someone who holds a full licence for a minimum of 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Could you imagine if an insurance company tried to claim the driver was doing 121km/h in a 120km/h zone therefore our insurance doesn't apply, there would be uproar.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

I saw a child standing up in a trailer, hitched onto a car today. I have crystal clear dash cam footage showing the land cruiser, the trailer and the child with the reg clearly visible.

Should I report to the Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Damien360

TK Lemon wrote: »
    I saw a child standing up in a trailer, hitched onto a car today. I have crystal clear dash cam footage showing the land cruiser, the trailer and the child with the reg clearly visible.

Stick it up here and we can all join in quoting the horror of the event and your likely blame in all of this. ‘Tis par for the course in here. :)

Wouldn’t bother reporting because nothing will be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

TK Lemon wrote: »

We use to do this year's ago, I know times have changed a lot, back of tractors, on top of bails or turf etc.... Was great fun but of course a risk.

Any time though they didn't drive fast at all and was mostly off road and back roads you couldn't go fast on anyway.

Was the land cruiser going fast?
    If yes then definitely needs a talking to.

This is from a court case last year

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/court-rules-on-case-with-implications-for-unaccompanied-learners-1.4316797

"the relevant insurer had advised, if there was a loss to a third party arising from the driving of the accused, the insurer would compensate the third party but seek to recover the cost of that from the accused."

The accused ends up forking out regardless.

So, moral of story......a learner driver should not drive without someone who holds a full licence for a minimum of 2 years.

Not disagreeing for a second but the fact is they are still insured and in the event the insurance company may be entitled but is extremely unlikely to go after the driver, it simply wouldn't be worth it in most cases - you would be rightly effed though when it came time to renew.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

More videos please

Not disagreeing for a second but the fact is they are still insured and in the event the insurance company may be entitled but is extremely unlikely to go after the driver, it simply wouldn't be worth it in most cases - you would be rightly effed though when it came time to renew.

if your policy does not provide cover under certain circumstance, you are driving without insurance cover if you still drive..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

biko wrote: »
    More videos please

This thread is sometimes enough to put you asleep ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Thanks be to the Aussies, why don't we see any Gardai nicking driver clips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Thanks be to the Aussies, why don't we see any Gardai nicking driver clips?

That video is boring as hell, saw it the other day and didn't bother posting it

Advertisement