Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any changes after vaping?

Options
  • 25-04-2019 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

After smoking for 30+ years I've become a vaping convert for the last few months. I've heard that early vapers had improved taste, felt physically better, could walk longer without becoming breathless, coughing up black phlegm/a lung, being able to climb Everest etc. So far I've had a big fat zero physical change - except that I don't burn as much money now. Is this normal or is it different for everyone depending on age, physical fitness, duration of smoking habit etc.
    TIA,
    An interested vaping newbie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭adgib

After smoking for years, i started vaping 4 years ago no different with taste, but feel a lot healthier, plus got rid of the horrendous smokers cough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Dr Bill V1.5

There are still a helluva lot of unanswered questions re vaping in general but if health authorities are willing to promote it as an aid to stopping smoking then I'm guessing it can't be all bad. One thing for sure is that you're inhaling a lot less harmful ingredients into your body,no substitute for fresh air,if it exists, but still a positive for sure.
    Personally I don't notice any huge difference, less choked up in the mornings maybe but apart from that I never did a marathon when I smoked and I don't feel the urge to do one yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭adgib

Agree, it's the lesser of two evils, used to be out of breath walking up stairs, not anymore, also yearly had chest infections and bronchitis, don't get it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 16,205 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I do feel healthier. But I was getting headaches from smoking. I'm finding it easier to walk up stairs too.

Thing is there's no blueprint for this. Everyone is different. Some people will get a cough when they give up, others won't. Some will get more breath faster, others won't.

Your body will change and it will be for the better, but unless it's a rapid change you probably won't notice it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,205 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

There are still a helluva lot of unanswered questions re vaping in general but if health authorities are willing to promote it as an aid to stopping smoking then I'm guessing it can't be all bad.

I'm writing this from memory but the NHS have a scale for how unhealthy something is. it goes from 0-100. Smoking is 68 I think. It's high 60's anyway. Vaping is something like 6.

Vaping isn't "healthy" it's not like eating some more veggies every day. But it's a hell of a lot healthier than smoking.

Someday I will give up vaping because not vaping is healthier than vaping. But until then I'm happy I made the switch.

• Advertisement

It was a very gradual improvement for me. When I quit a few years ago (without vaping) I had a month or more of clearing which was horrible. Since starting vaping I still haven't had the noticeable lung clearing I was expecting.
    But in almost a year I can now catch my breath after losing it (I'm very fat) and can sleep without hearing myself wheezing.

Everyone's gonna be different but give it time. My mother developed a bit of a dry cough at night which has subsided, while smoking she would have a fit of coughing every 5-10 minutes all day. I similarly get annoyed about having to clear my throat a few times an hour but compared to when I was smoking I pretty much never need a proper coughing/hacking fit.

I noticed a change very quickly. My mother less so but once she stopped paying attention to it more has changed and people who hadn't seen her in ages said the other night she looks 10 years younger than last time they saw her.

Give it time and try not to overthink. Changes will come gradually, maybe not the way you expect. It's not perfect but it's a hell of a lot better than smoking. And if you do have a slip and smoke a fag make sure you blow some smoke out your nose and give it a good wipe an hour later. ;)

Advertisement