Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out sick in probationary period

Options
  • 25-04-2019 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Been in a new job about 5 weeks and my little one has come down with tonsillitis. Was puking all day til I took him into Midoc and got a diagnosis. I have a note from doctor for myself to excuse myself from work. However, my boss was not happy at all about it. Said they rarely had people off sick, I was in tears on the phone in the end.

Is there any way he can make this an issue for me? Like I said I have a doctor's note.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm afraid while a doctors note explains an absence it doesn't excuse it. You're on probation and they may simply decide you're not working out.

Sorry I don't have better news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Have you any family support at all who can look after him fort he few hours you are at work? A friend, anyone?

It's not you that's sick... My work doesn't consider someone else's sickness to be grounds to be out either to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

tatsplat wrote: »
    Been in a new job about 5 weeks and my little one has come down with tonsillitis. Was puking all day til I took him into Midoc and got a diagnosis. I have a note from doctor for myself to excuse myself from work. However, my boss was not happy at all about it. Said they rarely had people off sick and that complaints had been made by the students (I am a language teacher) I was in tears on the phone in the end.

Is there any way he can make this an issue for me? Like I said I have a doctor's note.

Your boss sounds like a total to$$er

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So, your not actually out sick, your kid is.

You should be on Force Majeure rather than on sick leave.

In your probation is a bad time to be off if it’s inconvenient for your employer it may go badly for your being kept on.

There is nothing can be done really, your priority is family, all you can do is get back soon as possible. You won’t get many days FM so you need to be working alternative arrangements and keeping employer informed about your return.

pwurple wrote: »
    Have you any family support at all who can look after him fort he few hours you are at work? A friend, anyone?

It's not you that's sick... My work doesn't consider someone else's sickness to be grounds to be out either to be honest.

well that's a nonsense thing to say - and is a poor reflection on your employer and your own expectations as an employee.

It's not 'someone else' - it that person's child. You are legally entitled to time off to care for a dependent. It may go unpaid but what your employer considers 'grounds to be out' is irrelevant. I'd suggest seeking a better employer personally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

tatsplat wrote:

Dismiss you during your probation, saying you are not suitable. The note relates to your child not you. You are there 5 weeks looks bad tbh, I understand your child comes first for you but your employer has no attachment to your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

If I were you I’d be looking for somewhere a bit more family friendly. While I understand jobs in your area probably aren’t ten a penny your child is your main concern. My own dc had tonsillitis recently and there is no way I would leave him but I was able to use flexi time and working from home to cover it. Hell or high water wouldn’t have stopped me from staying at home to be there for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

_Brian wrote:
    You should be on Force Majeure rather than on sick leave.

Force majeure is 3 days in a five year period.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Been in a new job about 5 weeks and my little one has come down with tonsillitis. Was puking all day til I took him into Midoc and got a diagnosis. I have a note from doctor for myself to excuse myself from work. However, my boss was not happy at all about it. Said they rarely had people off sick and that complaints had been made by the students (I am a language teacher) I was in tears on the phone in the end.

If you're not in the state school sector then you're probably dealing with someone more interested in costs. It might just be your boss' reaction to your absence and that nothing can be done about it but the probation period doesn't protect you from very much. As for students could well be boss asking them and students do have notions about their sense of judgement. All I'd say is see how it goes but at the very least consider other possible options.

Force majeure is 3 days in a five year period.

no it's not
    Force majeure leave cannot exceed three days in any period of twelve months or exceed five days in a period of thirty six consecutive months.

However for FM to apply - you need 12 months consecutive service. Doesn't apply to the OP.

OP is legally entitled to unpaid leave to care for a dependent.

But it's clear that their employer will use any old reason to dismiss during probation. Fairly sure this particular bit of unplanned leave won't be mentioned as a reason for dismissal.

OP - when did you inform your employer that you wouldn't be in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tatsplat

Dismiss you during your probation, saying you are not suitable. The note relates to your child not you. You are there 5 weeks looks bad tbh, I understand your child comes first for you but your employer has no attachment to your child.

Actually the note says that I have gastric flu, I didn't explain very well

lawred2 wrote: »
    no it's not

However for FM to apply - you need 12 months consecutive service. Doesn't apply to the OP.

But it's clear that their employer will use any old reason to dismiss during probation. Fairly sure this particular bit of unplanned leave won't be mentioned as a reason for dismissal.

As per my contract, before 8.30am

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

well that's a nonsense thing to say - and is a poor reflection on your employer and your own expectations as an employee.

It's not 'someone else' - it that person's child. You are legally entitled to time off to care for a dependent. It may go unpaid but what your employer considers 'grounds to be out' is irrelevant. I'd suggest seeking a better employer personally.

Unfortunately this is all nonsense too.

Sick leave occurs when the employee is unable to carry out their duties due to illness or incapacitation, it does not extend to the illness of anyone other than the employee themselves. Though employers should be sympathetic to illnesses which effect employees children, leave is not a legal entitlement.

Which time off which you are legally entitled to are you referring to? FM has very specific criteria which are extremely relevant.

It doesn't really change the situation anyway, other than if you don't have flu and you let slip there's then a dishonesty element.

no it's not

?

What leave which is a legal entitlement are you referring to?

That should cover the absence but there seem to be other things at work there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

There is parental leave for situations like your child being sick etc but while on probation you can be let go for any reason they see fit really.

Mind you child and focus on helping them get better, worry about the job after.

My condolences, horrible position to find yourself in andi hope the little one feels better soon.

So, your doctor lied?

So, your doctor lied?
    A lot more common than you imagine! Hard to find too much fault with doctor in this case. It's a very unfortunate occurrence of an illness in the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

Once you have a doctors cert they can't say anything. Boss sounds like a b!tch to be honest. Ive been off sick myself when my child was not well.

• Advertisement

linpoo wrote: »
    Once you have a doctors cert they can't say anything. Boss sounds like a b!tch to be honest. Ive been off sick myself when my child was not well.

This is not true. As per STC’s earlier post, a Med Cert explains an absence, it does not excuse it.

Dav010 wrote: »
    What leave which is a legal entitlement are you referring to?

actually this is the act - reads to me like FM would apply.
    13.—(1) An employee shall be entitled to leave with pay from his or her employment, to be known and referred to in this Act as “force majeure leave”, where, for urgent family reasons, owing to an injury to or the illness of a person specified in subsection (2), the immediate presence of the employee at the place where the person is, whether at his or her home or elsewhere, is indispensable.

(2) The persons referred to in subsection (1) are—

(a) a person of whom the employee is the parent or adoptive parent,

(b) the spouse of the employee or a person with whom the employee is living as husband or wife,

(c) a person to whom the employee is in loco parentis,

(d) a brother or sister of the employee,

(e) a parent or grandparent of the employee, and

(f) persons of such other (if any) class or classes as may be prescribed.

(3) When an employee takes force majeure leave, he or she shall, as soon as reasonably practicable thereafter, by notice in the prescribed form given to his or her employer, confirm that he or she has taken such leave and the notice shall specify the dates on which it was taken and contain a statement of the facts entitling the employee to force majeure leave.

(4) Force majeure leave shall consist of one or more days on which, but for the leave, the employee would be working in the employment concerned but shall not exceed 3 days in any period of 12 consecutive months or 5 days in any period of 36 consecutive months.

(5) A day on which an employee is absent from work on force majeure leave in an employment for part only of the period during which he or she is required to work in the employment on that day shall be deemed, for the purposes of subsection (4), to be one day of force majeure leave.

however OP had some falsified cover note from the doctor so not sure what's going on here really..

perhaps knew she'd be better off covering herself against an arsehole boss.

Dav010 wrote: »
    This is not true. As per STC’s earlier post, a Med Cert explains an absence, it does not excuse it.

so don't ever get sick then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

So you got a doctor to lie for you, maybe your boss can see through you. I wouldn't be happy either if you'd started working for me

On probation it's not a good idea, however unavoidable. Notwithstanding probation the restrictions on rights for the first 12 months means it's not great then either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

no it's not

There is no service period for FM
    Employers may try that but it’s not in legislation.

Or don't let your kids get sick. Bearing in mind there's no family here I can leave them with and creche and childminder won't take them when they are sick.

Or just don't get pregnant.

Or don't have sex ever

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    So you got a doctor to lie for you, maybe your boss can see through you. I wouldn't be happy either if you'd started working for me
    I am not sure the poster would want to work for you, I wouldn't!

On probation it's not a good idea, however unavoidable. Notwithstanding probation the restrictions on rights for the first 12 months means it's not great then either.

Well unless you're pulling a fast one - it not really an 'idea' is it!?

• Advertisement

Mundo7976 wrote: »

Wouldn't want to, if you can't be understanding when my child is unwell 🀷*♀️

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement