Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Out sick in probationary period

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

lawred2 wrote: »
    actually this is the act - reads to me like FM would apply.

however OP had some falsified cover note from the doctor so not sure what's going on here really..

Read the criteria for FM, it has very strict rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

tatsplat wrote: »
    Or don't let your kids get sick. Bearing in mind there's no family here I can leave them with and creche and childminder won't take them when they are sick.

Or just don't get pregnant.

Or don't have sex ever

Ok bit of calm. :) This is the internet and some people's version of helping should be best ignored. I'd also say you've probably got all the useful information you need at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭tatsplat

is_that_so wrote: »
    Ok bit of calm. :) This is the internet and some people's version of helping should be best ignored. I'd also say you've probably got all the useful information you need at this point.

Yes, and thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dav010 wrote: »
    Read the criteria for FM, it has very strict rules.

Well I've just presented you with the act. Would you care to detail/link/produce these rules please?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    So you got a doctor to lie for you, maybe your boss can see through you. I wouldn't be happy either if you'd started working for me

Give her a break. Its hard being a working mother especially when you're child isn't well.

She's looking for advice not criticism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭linpoo

Dav010 wrote: »
    This is not true. As per STC’s earlier post, a Med Cert explains an absence, it does not excuse it.

Says who? Is he an expert. Are you saying a doctors signed medical note stating someone is not able to work for a certain period of time is not to be trusted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

"Excuse it"?

What kind of psychopath would view someone being sick or their child being sick as something to be excused as if it's misconduct? And tonsilitis!

That said, don't understand why you were so dishonest at the start here OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

linpoo wrote: »
    Says who? Is he an expert. Are you saying a doctors signed medical note stating someone is not able to work for a certain period of time is not to be trusted?

evidently not seen as she admitted it's bogus :)

serious note - no way FM applies.

5 weeks into your employment it is very unfortunate situation to be in,

where would the child be if they weren't sick? creche? minder?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

linpoo wrote: »

They are trusted to explain and absence. You're still in breach of your contract of employment. An employer is within their rights to terminate if sickness becomes an issue, notwithstanding doctors certs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Wouldn't want to, if you can't be understanding when my child is unwell ��*♀️

Except you told your employer a different story
    "Actually the note says that I have gastric flu, I didn't explain very well"

To answer your original question of can the employer do anything, yea they can, you're in probation if they dont see youas a proper fit for the company theyll let you go

• Advertisement

"Excuse it"?

What kind of psychopath would view someone being sick or their child being sick as something to be excused as if it's misconduct? And tonsilitis!

I asked the doctor for a note to say the baby was sick but he said it would not allow me time off work and he would write one in my name instead. Since no creche or childminder will take a sick child and I haven't family that can care for him not sure what else I could have done tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Honestly your story is confusing. You say the child was puking all day. You also say you rang before 8:30 to report yourself as sick.

Did you ring in the morning to say your child was sick and then produce a sick cert for yourself?

"Excuse it"?

well the fact that there are people who see caring for a sick child as something inexcusable might go some way to explain the OP's thought process..

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Except you told your employer a different story
    "Actually the note says that I have gastric flu, I didn't explain very well"

To answer your original question of can the employer do anything, yea they can, you're in probation if they dont see youas a proper fit for the company theyll let you go

That's because I asked the doctor for a note to say my child was unwell but he said it would not be accepted by boss to allow me time off and he would write one in my name. Since no creche or childminder will take a child who is ill and I don't have family to care for him not sure what else I was supposed to do. My fault for needing to work but also wanting to be a mother I suppose

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    evidently not seen as she admitted it's bogus :)

serious note - no way FM applies.

5 weeks into your employment it is very unfortunate situation to be in,

where would the child be if they weren't sick? creche? minder?

based on what?

look you've said you were sick at the end of the day so can't go back now,

keep the head down when you get back and you should be ok, even the hardest employers will alllow you one "strike" on probation.

as long as a patter doesn't emerge you should be ok,

Honestly your story is confusing. You say the child was puking all day. You also say you rang before 8:30 to report yourself as sick.

Did you ring in the morning to say your child was sick and then produce a sick cert for yourself?

I rang to say my child was sick as he had thrown up during the night then when he was continuously sick throughout the day and showing signs of dehydration I took him to doctor who produced the sick cert in my name since as he put it when I asked for a note for the baby I would not be allowed time off for him being sick and better to say I was. Further questions your honour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

tatsplat wrote:
    I rang to say my child was sick as he had thrown up during the night then when he was continuously sick throughout the day and showing signs of dehydration I took him to doctor who produced the sick cert in my name since as he put it when I asked for a note for the baby I would not be allowed time off for him being sick and better to say I was. Further questions your honour?

So you rang and said your child was sick throwing up through the night, but you produced a note to say YOU were sick? You have shown your employer you are untrustworthy tbh. I'd refresh my CV if I were you.

Or don't let your kids get sick. Bearing in mind there's no family here I can leave them with

Husband?

It's a crap situation, but it seems you told your employer you couldn't come to work because your child was sick, and then presented a note to say it was you who were sick? You'd have been better not producing the note.

You might be OK, but your employer is within rights to let you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I was trying to get your story straight before offering advice. There is a lot of talk of Force Majeure leave in the thread but that is no way useful to you if you were claiming you were sick as then it doesn't apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

OP, whats happened has already happened.

The only avenue now is for you to take the time to relax and unwind while taking the best care of your child. No worrying is going to make any difference at all.

Focus on your family as you were right to, and asap go back to work and work hard. You will be kept on if you work hard, and if they decide other wise, its fine, you just go look for another job. Nothing in life worth a damn changes due to it.

actually this is the act - reads to me like FM would apply.

however OP had some falsified cover note from the doctor so not sure what's going on here really..

perhaps knew she'd be better off covering herself against an arsehole boss.

New to a job and gets a sick cert saying you are ill when it’s your child is the one with tonsillitis and you say the boss is an arsehole?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Husband?

It's a crap situation, but it seems you told your employer you couldn't come to work because your child was sick, and then presented a note to say it was you who were sick? You'd have been better not producing the note.

You might be OK, but your employer is within rights to let you go.

It is crap. The only way to save face and use that note would have been to say after being at the doctor, that she had caught a tummy bug from the child, and was therefore unable to work. The fake note did no favours, however well intentioned to GP was.
    In my workplace, we would take holidays, or parental leave for a sick child, it’s hard to ask for Either after only a few weeks though.
    And FM leave is only granted in our workplace if someone is hospitalised.

based on what?

based on having a doctor's note to say you were sick.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

If someone new joined my team and after a few weeks told me they had to stay home with their kid who had severe tonsillitis, I'd say "Jesus, sorry to hear that, hope he's ok. Don't worry about it, go and take care of him and we'll see you when you get back.". I hope I'm never the type of d***head who makes an employee feel nervous or stressed about home situations like that.

It might be different in different industries, but in mine it's an employees market. If you find someone really good, you want to keep them. You want them to think "Wow this is a great place to work". Treating employees well is paid back in spades, in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

New to a job and gets a sick cert saying you are ill when it’s your child is the one with tonsillitis and you say the boss is an arsehole?
    Yes the boss is an arsehole. Dishonest as the OP was, it doesn't change that the boss is an arsehole - putting it kindly.

When is sickness not terrible misconduct? Cancer?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Guy in our place had to use his holidays when getting chemo. Some serious
    Scummy companies out there.

B_ecke_r wrote: »
    based on having a doctor's note to say you were sick.

Ah yeah - but that point was made clear later in the thread

OP would have been better served not listening to an ill informed doctor where her employment rights were concerned...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

spockety wrote:
    If someone new joined my team and after a few weeks told me they had to stay home with their kid who had severe tonsillitis, I'd say "Jesus, sorry to hear that, hope he's ok. Don't worry about it, go and take care of him and we'll see you when you get back.". I hope I'm never the type of d***head who makes an employee feel nervous or stressed about home situations like that.

You miss the part where the OP rang and said the child was sick throughout the night but produced a cert to claim it was the OP who was sick. Dishonest behaviour not a concern for you in a new employee?

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »

It might be different in different industries, but in mine it's an employees market. If you find someone really good, you want to keep them. You want them to think "Wow this is a great place to work". Treating employees well is paid back in spades, in my experience.

but sure look at the level of support for such arseholery on this thread alone - and the amount of people only willing to stick the boot in..

understandable that people do the wrong thing in such an environment..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement