Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Bit of a concern if Ole is wanting to play a high energy game, like they do at southampton

That's the worry.

Hassenhutl loves the pressing game. With lots of energy. And seems fairly happy to let him go for a relatively low fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Trigger wrote: »
    I was told I wasnt good enough to be a Dave anymore, so now everyone is Dave apart from me, get me Dave?

You'll always be Dave to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Headshot wrote: »

Trigger and Headshot sitting in a tree this is causing 2008 CoD flashbacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Headshot wrote: »

Ah thanks Dave

• I'm hoping pjohnson becomes davesjohnson

I'm hoping pjohnson becomes davesjohnson

DaveDaveson

I'm hoping pjohnson becomes davesjohnson

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Clubs in an awful state as is the squad. Genuinely believe the current squad is weaker than it was this time last year.

The lack of ambition from the club is desperate to see. Until there is new owners and Woodward is taken away from making football decisions the club will continue its slide into mediocrity.

It’s hard to get excited about next season. They’ve sucked the soul out of the club. Seeing that same group of players more or less intact boarding the plane for the pre season tour was galling.

The circus of the transfer market with the club. It’s like deja vu all over again.

The clubs in serious trouble imo. Serious serious trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

fcUHDv9.jpg

:D

• Advertisement

Ah it'd be funny if it wasn't true, in a time when clubs are heavily using stats to find players and some maybe using AI, we have Ed Woodward

• Stay calm, adox has returned....can't find my banderes quick link fs

adox wrote: »
    Clubs in an awful state as is the squad. Genuinely believe the current squad is weaker than it was this time last year.

The lack of ambition from the club is desperate to see. Until there is new owners and Woodward is taken away from making football decisions the club will continue its slide into mediocrity.

It’s hard to get excited about next season. They’ve sucked the soul out of the club. Seeing that same group of players more or less intact boarding the plane for the pre season tour was galling.

The circus of the transfer market with the club. It’s like deja vu all over again.

The clubs in serious trouble imo. Serious serious trouble.

Good to see you back.. nice that you brought some positivity with you :pac:

Stay calm, adox has returned....can't find my banderes quick link fs

Here señor its a quick banderas gif
    tenor.gif

He's like a new signing

He's like a new signing

Disappointing?

Disappointing?

Na its the joke when someone has been injured for a season and comes back preseason, they are like a new signing.

Not disappointing at all

He's like a new signing

We got new Dave on the wing exchanged the older clapped out Dave for a shiny new Trigger at #10 and now adox the old head providing experience at the back. Naturally Fred striking fear in the hearts of everyone.

Naturally Scarlett Johansson completes the ManUtd Boards 5-a-side 19-20 team.

Na its the joke when someone has been injured for a season and comes back preseason, they are like a new signing.

Not disappointing at all

I know. It was a joke aimed at adox :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

adox wrote: »
    tl;dr

Welcome back it's nice to have some of the older generation of the fan base posting again not many in here can say they first attended Old Trafford around the time of the Busby babes.

Hope you're keeping well.

Qy5iz5y.png

*You're

Fúck your ninja-edit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Qy5iz5y.png

*You're

Fúck your ninja-edit :)

How sad.

Reportriggered you strawflake

jayo26 wrote: »
    How sad.

I agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

He won’t be around for long if all those “thanks” are anything to go by

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://streamable.com/itvxd

Phil Neville singling Lemia out against Palace, showing him at his best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Lord TSC wrote: »
    https://streamable.com/itvxd

Phil Neville singling Lemia out against Palace, showing him at his best.

1:35 would be the one aspect of that video that excites me about this potential signing. Pace in midfield and using it to regain possession for his side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Ducker is reporting that even Lindelof's agent is talking about him leaving now.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/07/09/manchester-uniteds-problems-grow-victor-lindelofs-agent-hints/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Ducker is reporting that even Lindelof's agent is talking about him leaving now.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/07/09/manchester-uniteds-problems-grow-victor-lindelofs-agent-hints/

Who would blame him. One of the stand outs last season (albeit in a mediocre field) it would be a killer to lose him while retaining the services of Smalling and Jonesy. :(

Also, welcome back Adox.

Well not really, his agent is also Frankie DeJongs agent and he was having an interview with Mundo Deportivo about that move to Barca and basically just said that Barca had enquired with him. Said that he would only leave if United chose to sell him.

Sure even in that Ducker article, the only quotes in it are

"Lindelof is in the orbit of a great European club but leaving United depends on the English club"

Hardly saying he wants out :pac: relax the kaks

• Advertisement

Some quotes from Solskjaer's first press conference of the preseason.
    Solskajer on Pogba and Lukaku: "I have been in touch with Paul and spoken to Paul, spoken to Rom. As far as I'm aware we don't have any bids for our players. We're Man United, we don't have to sell players."

Solskjaer on Pogba: "With Paul, it looks like it's going to be a media ... I don't want to call it a ... but it's an agenda against Paul. He's a top, top bloke. He's a great professional. He's never been any problem. He's got a heart of gold."

Solskjaer on Lingard/Pogba footage: "Jesse and Paul were walking around and it's been portrayed as a fight between the two boys. I know you're here to sell papers and sell stories but there are no problems between the boys at all. Pre-season has been very good so far."

Solskjaer on Pogba: "Paul has never put himself out of the team, he's always wanted to play, he's always given his best and I can't report any more than that. Agents talk all the time. We've not had any bids from any clubs and that's all I can say about this matter."

Fans asking where is "ruthlessness" you promised in terms of change? OGS: "Yeah, I can see your point but doing business in the football market is not going to be a quick fix overnight. There are loads of players here I know are going to be successful at this club."

Solskjaer on Pogba: "Paul has never been a concern for me. When he's on the pitch he's working hard, he's a true professional, he's a proud boy. I can't be sitting here talking about Paul all the time and what agents are saying. We've got a few years left of his contract."

Solskjaer on the transfer window: "We are still in the market and looking to do some business. We are patient. We don’t have to sell and we don’t have to overpay."

Nothing sensational, fairly well handled. Clear that Pogba wants out but not going to pull a Neymar/Griezmann on it.

While it's good to see we're still trying to make signings, I'd be a bit concerned that quotes are starting to creep in regarding being happy with what we've got. This is a big change to what was being said at the tail end of last season.

• It's hard to know what to make of it, I feel It's like some of that is Woodward is coming out of his mouth;

More so the below;

"We are still in the market and looking to do some business. We are patient. We don’t have to sell and we don’t have to overpay."

"Yeah, I can see your point but doing business in the football market is not going to be a quick fix overnight. There are loads of players here I know are going to be successful at this club."

"There are loads of players here I know are going to be successful at this club."

Basically "I'm stuck with what I have"

• pjohnson wrote: »
    Basically "I'm stuck with what I have"

Yep spot on, that's kind of what I was alluding too.
    Ole is in a position now where I suspect he has to play 'good boy' to the Directors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,247 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Ole last year said

I'm gonna be successful here and some of these players won't be here to see it

Translation

I'm gonna boost the glazers take home and help build the massive brand that is United sure that's what success means to the club now. Oh and we will do it all whilst selling pogba and Lukaku and buying ****ing nobody

Jesus wept

Good man Paulie is being professional aswell what an absolute ****ing joke

Ole is a yes man

Ole is a yes man

Look what happened to Jose and he wasn't exactly a yes man. Now the exact same is happening 12 months on.

Changing managers every few months wont change a damn thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I wish we’d just go and break the bank for Ndidi

As I said before I think Woodward is a horribly reactive CEO, and at this stage I am convinced that somebody told him how good an idea it would be to find unknown kids and players with this mystical "fight and passion" and that if he finds them that they will all develop into Ronaldos and he will conquer the world.

So instead of buying the best players the club can get, he is targeting any kid with less than 10 senior games and a modicum of hype and trawling through smaller clubs reserve teams looking for that bargain that will make him look like a genius should it work out.

Problem is, we had a farce of a squad to start with and now he is filling it with distinctly unproven players from championship and PL reserve level. Guess what sort of squad that is going to leave him with...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Ah lads, that was pretty much a flawless interview from Olè.

Talk about seeing what you want to see.

Clear to anyone with a reasonable head on their shoulders that the club are trying to do business.

I don’t want to get pigeon holed into people thinking I’m blind to clubs failings, I’m not. I want the glazers et al gone as much as anyone.

But people have been hitting the panic button as early as 2 weeks after seasons end. It’s now gotten to the stage where people are insinuating wolves and Leicester are better than us.

Would have been ideal to have all our business done before the tour but it was always going to prove difficult to do so.

If we get to first game with current squad then I’ll be first to criticise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

So am I right in saying that people started this transfer season by saying we needed to stop the policy of just signing big name players after a big pay day given the lack of success we've had there and are now angry at the fact that we're not signing big name players?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Ah lads, that was pretty much a flawless interview from Olè.

Talk about seeing what you want to see.

Clear to anyone with a reasonable head on their shoulders that the club are trying to do business.

I don’t want to get pigeon holed into people thinking I’m blind to clubs failings, I’m not. I want the glazers et al gone as much as anyone.

But people have been hitting the panic button as early as 2 weeks after seasons end. It’s now gotten to the stage where people are insinuating wolves and Leicester are better than us.

Would have been ideal to have all our business done before the tour but it was always going to prove difficult to do so.

Why would we want the manager to speak out against the club and the players since it worked so badly for Jose?

I think Ole wants more than he will say now in public but knows it is important to present that all parts of the club are working together well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Blaming the media for the speculation on a Pogba transfer is poor form by him. It's the player himself and his agent that have been pushing that agenda.

He's already sounding like a yes man and well briefed on what to say. A shame after his words last season about the club.

This is all so familiar already and only going to end the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

As I said before I think Woodward is a horribly reactive CEO, and at this stage I am convinced that somebody told him how good an idea it would be to find unknown kids and players with this mystical "fight and passion" and that if he finds them that they will all develop into Ronaldos and he will conquer the world.

So instead of buying the best players the club can get, he is targeting any kid with less than 10 senior games and a modicum of hype and trawling through smaller clubs reserve teams looking for that bargain that will make him look like a genius should it work out.

Problem is, we had a farce of a squad to start with and now he is filling it with distinctly unproven players from championship and PL reserve level. Guess what sort of squad that is going to leave him with...

Yep, like someone who should be buying the finest tailored suit from Louis Copeland going shopping in Penny's, yet not even capable of picking up some socks in the bargain bin in Dealz.

So am I right in saying that people started this transfer season by saying we needed to stop the policy of just signing big name players after a big pay day given the lack of success we've had there and are now angry at the fact that we're not signing big name players?
    I wouldnt class the likes of Harry Maguire or Bruno Fernandes as big name players? James and AWB arent big names either. If I heard we were chasing the likes of say Sergio Ramos, Diego Costa, Jay Rodriguez or Gareth Bale I'd be worried we'd be getting an overpaid flop a new pension plan.

The simple fact is we do need signings, most people seemed to say about 5 signings at least then see what happens re. DDG, Pogba & Lukaku. We have 2.

But people have been hitting the panic button as early as 2 weeks after seasons end.
    There is no panic button, but yes it was obvious very early on that United were not properly prepared for this transfer window and that we were not going to see nearly enough done to address the squad problems.

Sitting here 2 months later and we have been proven right to be worried, we remain miles off where the squad needs to be. You are complaining about people calling it early when in fact they called it right.
    We have quotes from management going back months talking about the deals being done for the summer, the work being done on transfers, on the need for changes both outgoing and incoming. Please don't give me that "these things are difficult" line to excuse piss poor performance from the club management.
    Are you sure? Or will we then hear about how it takes time for these young players to settle in and how it is unfortunate that not everybody had a full pre-season?

I'm not picking on you as such, but our dealings this summer are that of a relegation club, they are pathetic and after multiple similar transfer windows the same old excuses no longer wash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It's been that way since 2013 trying to attract players is much harder since Fergie left no one wants to play for Harchester United with all the nonsense and none of the glory glory Man United that we all loved so dearly

Your quote is exactly what I would expect Woodward to say. He wouldn't understand that there is a hell of a difference between buying past it mercenaries and buying championship players with less than a season worth of experience. There are a lot of players between those two points on the scale.

I would take issue with OGS describing Pogba as a professional, given he went public to the media about his desire to leave.

By all means, don't criticise or chastise Pogba publicly as it won't help the situation, but don't go out of your way to compliment him either especially when it's an inaccurate statement. He has been anything but professional by running to media.

It comes across as pandering to Pogba and hoping he stays if you keep being nice to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

There is no panic button, but yes it was obvious very early on that United were not properly prepared for this transfer window and that we were not going to see nearly enough done to address the squad problems.

Sitting here 2 months later and we have been proven right to be worried, we remain miles off where the squad needs to be. You are complaining about people calling it early when in fact they called it right.

We have quotes from management going back months talking about the deals being done for the summer, the work being done on transfers, on the need for changes both outgoing and incoming. Please don't give me that "these things are difficult" line to excuse piss poor performance from the club management.

Are you sure? Or will we then hear about how it takes time for these young players to settle in and how it is unfortunate that not everybody had a full pre-season?

I'm not picking on you as such, but our dealings this summer are that of a relegation club, they are pathetic and after multiple similar transfer windows the same old excuses no longer wash.

No, people very much have been panicking. Over the top reactions like Wolves and Leicester being better are prime examples.

No, you have not been proven right. If we get to seasons start without the required strengthening of the squad then you will have been. I’ve stated numerous times as to why the market is difficult to do business in at the moment. Some of it our own fault but we are trying to fix it. Cannot go on forever overpaying for players.

People are actively looking for anything possibly negative to jump on and spin to suit their narrative. Case in point yesterday’s ‘spat’ between Pogba and Lingard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Any chance of a summary of what the club is clearly doing or planning? Everybody knows Ole is trying to firefight a sh*tstorm That Pogba has orchestrated, unless he wasn’t asking to move clubs when he said he wanted a new challange? SAF used to use deflection tactics but it’s concerning because the club already has enough problems to fix and most importantly it has not looked capable of doing what’s required or even having a joined up strategy for nearly a decade at stage.

I don’t understand how some fans can be so passive about things. This isn’t just about transfers, it’s about what actual plan exists (if any). Is our club like Liverpool a few years ago , clueless? In terms of your statement that the club is obviously trying to get business done, what does that mean?

What level of involvement or input is Ole getting into transfers?

What is the club doing about players who have already said they want to leave? Are they negotiating with players or trying to find buyers or are they just ignoring the players and hoping the problem will self resolve when transfer window closes?

What is the clubs plans for the first team? What is the strategy to address whatever it is that has been going wrong for the last 7 years?

It’s clear that the club is probably doing some sort of business but it’s the motives and plans behind that business is worrying. Can you maybe shed some light on what evidence or reasons you feel that the above things I’ve highlighted are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Your quote is exactly what I would expect Woodward to say. He wouldn't understand that there is a hell of a difference between buying past it mercenaries and buying championship players with less than a season worth of experience. There are a lot of players between those two points on the scale.

I agree with you, specifically, but in general the tone seems to be morphing from one in which we accepted we'd have to rely more heavily on our scouts to dismissing the signings / rumours as not being proven. I just find it odd.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement