Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Drumpot wrote: »
    Any chance of a summary of what the club is clearly doing or planning? Everybody knows Ole is trying to firefight a sh*tstorm That Pogba has orchestrated, unless he wasn’t asking to move clubs when he said he wanted a new challange? SAF used to use deflection tactics but it’s concerning because the club already has enough problems to fix and most importantly it has not looked capable of doing what’s required or even having a joined up strategy for nearly a decade at stage.

I don’t understand how some fans can be so passive about things. This isn’t just about transfers, it’s about what actual plan exists (if any). Is our club like Liverpool a few years ago , clueless? In terms of your statement that the club is obviously trying to get business done, what does that mean?

What level of involvement or input is Ole getting into transfers?

What is the club doing about players who have already said they want to leave? Are they negotiating with players or trying to find buyers or are they just ignoring the players and hoping the problem will self resolve when transfer window closes?

What is the clubs plans for the first team? What is the strategy to address whatever it is that has been going wrong for the last 7 years?

It’s clear that the club is probably doing some sort of business but it’s the motives and plans behind that business is worrying. Can you maybe shed some light on what evidence or reasons you feel that the above things I’ve highlighted are

Hang on, are you disputing the club are trying to sign players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

What did people genuinely expect Ole to say in regards to Pogba?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Hang on, are you disputing the club are trying to sign players?

That’s not what I said. “The club is clearly trying to do business”, what does this mean?

Can you answer the questions I asked instead of blind optimism based on a very vague point “club is clearly trying to do business”. Come on so, what is the club clearly doing and what’s the plan?

That’s not what I said. “The club is clearly trying to do business”, what does this mean?

Can you answer the questions I asked instead of blind optimism based on a very vague point “club is clearly trying to do business”. Come on so, what is the club clearly doing and what’s the plan?

Easy there chief. Your point was not clear at all. By business, I mean trying to sign players. I’m still not sure what your asking of me!? Don’t know where you are off to with this blind optimism. Im neither optimistic nor pessimistic. Just trying to look at the situation for what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

S.M.B. wrote: »

He's not the Messiah he's a very bold boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It doesn't really matter.

If a public person lies, they will be called on that lie regardless of whether it was an expected comment or not.

Do I expect him to say Pogba and his agent need to stfu and Pogba needs to buckle down and start performing consistently for United? Nope. But its the truth. Is the speculation really a 'media agenda', nope, that is a lie. If Ole lies, he'll be called on it.

Same is it is not unreasonable for his comments on transfers in and out to be prtective of the club. But when he sells himself to the fans on being ruthless and players having played their last game... when we see ZERO evidence of that 2 months after the season ended (3 months after his comments) then of course people are going to call him on that. He can't have it both ways. People will call him on not following through with what he said himself.

• S.M.B. wrote: »

I've no issues with the Pogba comments.

The Woodward style comments on players and the market I do have a problem with.

Considering it's a 180 from Ole said a few months back.

I feel sorry for Ole, he's beaming he's gotten of the biggest jobs in world football I'd suspect. But that's both a blessing and a curse.

The only person who had the balls to stand up to the board was Jose IMO.
    Ole will not do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I was half hoping that he'd call him "Paulie"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

You would like a manager to come out and be firm and speak his mind in a positive way but Oles not in a position to do this. Far from it!

Number one he hasn't got the background or reputation as a proven manager he starts rocking the boat in anyway with some of the harder to deal with people and he will be told what to do. Sure look how Jose was dealt with!

He's in a situation where he can't win really. You would have to be crazy to take managers job at this club the way its being run.

We all know what will happen to him when things start going down hill on the pitch.

I'd love him to succeed but it's not entirely in his hands. I'd be very surprised if he's there this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

You would like a manager to come out and be firm and speak his mind in a positive way but Oles not in a position to do this. Far from it!

Number one he hasn't got the background or reputation as a proven manager he starts rocking the boat in anyway with some of the harder to deal with people and he will be told what to do. Sure look how Jose was dealt with!

He's in a situation where be can't win really. You would have to be crazy to take manager job at this club the way its being run.

We all know what will happen to the manager when things start going down hill on the pitch.

I'd love him to succeed but it's not entirely in his hands. I'd be very surprised if he's there this time next year.

Unfortunately I agree with this.

Ole is the fall guy for when things will most likely go wrong. On the other hand, if by some miracle Ole manages to exceed expectations and turn the ship around then Woodward will be lauded for giving a young aspiring manager, a Man Utd legend, a chance.

Ole will not question the board, publically at least. He will not throw his toys out of the pram if they let him down in the transfer market. He will quietly get on with his job and do the very best he can with the resources he has available because he will be desperate to prove himself and desperate to do well not just for himself, but for the club.

Win win for Woodward and the board. It is in fact a dream appointment from their perspective really.

• Advertisement

• Quandary wrote: »
    Unfortunately I agree with this.

Ole is the fall guy for when things will most likely go wrong. On the other hand, if by some miracle Ole manages to exceed expectations and turn the ship around then Woodward will be lauded for giving a young aspiring manager, a Man Utd legend, a chance.

Ole will not question the board, publically at least. He will not throw his toys out of the pram if they let him down in the transfer market. He will quietly get on with his job and do the very best he can with the resources he has available because he will be desperate to prove himself and desperate to do well not just for himself, but for the club.

Win win for Woodward and the board. It is in fact a dream appointment from their perspective really.

Absolutely. They can continue to milk the club dry.

Quandary wrote: »

Is it?

If Ole fails - it'll be for one of a few reasons.

Not good enough - WTF did United appoint him?
    Players not good enough - Why didn't the board execute improvements on this?

I don't think Ole will generate the dislike that Jose did - so using the manager as a scapegoat for failure is going to be more difficult.

If anything, if they don't fully support Ole (and it doesn't look like they are, imo) they are painting a much bigger target on their back.

Ole could be Woodwards last throw of the dice, how many failures can he get away with, they have to catch up with him at some point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Is it?

If Ole fails - it'll be for one of a few reasons.

Not good enough - WTF did United appoint him?
    Players not good enough - Why didn't the board execute improvements on this?

I don't think Ole will generate the dislike that Jose did - so using the manager as a scapegoat for failure is going to be more difficult.

If anything, if they don't fully support Ole (and it doesn't look like they are, imo) they are painting a much bigger target on their back.

Ole could be Woodwards last throw of the dice, how many failures can he get away with, they have to catch up with him at some point.

No one seems to care though. There are no protests or anything meaningful. Everyone is happy to blindly support the team "because you should". There should be protests non stop until the Glazers sell and turf Woodward out but for some reason it's not happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Honestly, the reaction to Ole's press conference is laughable. What is he supposed to say?
    We have got players here who I trust. They are fantastic players. We don't have to sell and we don't have to overpay either

Oh man, we're ****ing desperate for players. We're screwed unless we sign someone and we'll pay anything. We've got gaps all over the place. I can't face another season of Smalling and Jones at CB.
    I can see your point but doing business in the football market is not going to be a quick fix overnight. We have got players here who I trust

Phil Jones is sh*te and I can't wait until he goes, he can take Darmian with him. And Jesus, we'd let Alexis go for free but nobody will pay his wages. How did Woodward agree to pay him that much per week?
    I can't be sitting here talking about Paul all the time and what agents are saying.

When I heard the comments from Riaola, I thought "Jesus, what a gowl", yet another f*cking headache for me. The sooner we are rid of Pogba, the better. Here, if anyone wants to take him, we'll let him go at any price

In a bat-sh*t market, do you really want to inflate players prices even more by stupid comments? Newcastle already want more than £50m for a lad who has played a handful of premier league games. Do you really want to drive down the price of your more valuable players like Pogba, by criticizing him and his agent?

When Jose criticized players, he was poleaxed here, yet people want Ole to demoralize the squad by coming out and saying that a certain amount of them are useless and he wants rid of them?

The squad has massive gaps. There are problems with Pogba and his agent. The structure and decision making on the recruitment side has been atrocious for years. It would be amazing if the Glazers would do one and sold the club. I think most fans would be on the same page about these things.

However, if you think it's best for the club that OGS comes out and gives his 100% honest opinions to the media, then are more clueless than Woodward.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    No one seems to care though. There are no protests or anything meaningful. Everyone is happy to blindly support the team "because you should". There should be protests non stop until the Glazers sell and turf Woodward out but for some reason it's not happening.

Fans should stop going to games.

Imagine Old Trafford being half attendance or less. Empty seats every where week after week.

Imagine the reaction from sponsors and investers and the media. The owners would have to react it happens in all sports and businesses in general.

The worse it gets change happens.

Money and popularity is all that's important to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Ole was essentially promoted beyond his ability when he was appointed. He knows this, everybody knows this. He could barely have less leverage with upper management and so he's never going to rock the boat à la Ferguson and have a go at the star attraction.

On his transfer comments; well the Summer began badly and it's just gotten worse and worse. I've lost count of how many Summer windows have played out exactly like this with United now. We just need Saturday to come now so people can begin blindly placing our season's hopes on the shoulders of one of the young lads who has a 7/10 performance and that will be it. Same every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

IOle could be Woodwards last throw of the dice, how many failures can he get away with, they have to catch up with him at some point.

I think the only way Woodward gets moved away from the football side of things is if Utd spend a few consecutive years outside the top 4. This will cost the club very significant money due to the reported clauses associated with mainatiang champions league involvement in sponsorship deals. The share price will take a massive hit and Utd will drop down that list of the worlds wealthiest sporting clubs.

If Ole is sacked at the end of or during this coming season I think Woodward will go to another big name manager and the club will be seen to back him with a large splurge which might see us get back into the top 4 spots the following season. This will keep the current regime bobbing along, just keeping its head above water. We might even actually see the appointment of a token football director position.

Unfortunately I think it will take a couple or maybe few consecutive seasons outside the top 4 to oust the current regime. The match going fans will finally start to voice their concerns en masse, the sponsorship deals will really start to diminish and things will get very nasty for Woodward and Co.

Sadly, I think we'll see Woody and his gang in charge for a while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Talks now that city are enquiring about fernandes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Ole has to play it coy with the media and downplay any issues within the squad such as in house fighting, morale problems etc. I still believe we will sign a couple more players before the start of the season. I would say he would love to off load a number of the fringe players however nobody seems interested in them and can you blame them really.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Cotts72 wrote: »
    Talks now that city are enquiring about fernandes

There was talk ages ago that both City and Utd were in for Fernandes. Then Liverpool had had a bid turned down. Then we had agreed a fee. Then we hadn't. Now City are back in. It's all horsesh1t designed to sell papers. And most of it is English papers picking up on the ultra unreliable Portuguese papers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Solskjaer is optimistic that David De Gea will agree a new contract.

Coming from official site you'd have to think it's looking pretty likely.

billyhead wrote: »
    Ole has to play it coy with the media and downplay any issues within the squad such as in house fighting, morale problems etc. I still believe we will sign a couple more players before the start of the season. I would say he would love to off load a number of the fringe players however nobody seems interested in them and can you blame them really.

Plus I'd imagine he doesn't have the final say on a lot of the squad.

Especially the guys bringing in the big money.

v3ttel wrote: »
    Honestly, the reaction to Ole's press conference is laughable. What is he supposed to say?

Ole said he is going to be ruthless.
    Ole said a number of players will have played their last game.

He is now saying there are loads of players that are going to be a success for us, the squad is great and this is on the basis of two signings and one player leaving (having been asked to stay).

Where is the ruthlessness?
    Where is the evidence a number of players had played their last game?

What could or should Ole have said, probably not much different to what he did - but he created an expectations and a rod for his own back with his own words so it is 100% justifiable to call him on his 180 turn. Maybe he could do no different, but that is his problem, not mine.

Based on what he said previously, people felt himself and Phelan were going to drive the changes needed. Based on the press conference today that isn't the case and he is happy to tow the company line and collect his pay cheque. Why shouldn't people question him? Why shouldn't people point out his about face?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Pheonix10 wrote: »

United fans, by and large, aren't bothered by the Glazier's. The Glazier's have been siphoning money out of United for over ten years now. Fans only have an issue with the Glazier's when they're not winning.

When Ferguson was winning and cheerleading the Glazier's as they were raping the club it didn't cause much discontent, bar a few scarfs at the ground. I'm not saying the Glazier's were ever liked, but winning trophies excused them. It's the lack of competitiveness that is enraging people, not the money that the owners have taken out of the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Ole said he is going to be ruthless.
    Ole said a number of players will have played their last game.

He is now saying there are loads of players that are going to be a success for us, the squad is great and this is on the basis of two signings and one player leaving (having been asked to stay).

Where is the ruthlessness?
    Where is the evidence a number of players had played their last game?

What could or should Ole have said, probably not much different to what he did - but he created an expectations and a rod for his own back with his own words so it is 100% justifiable to call him on his 180 turn. Maybe he could do no different, but that is his problem, not mine.

Based on what he said previously, people felt himself and Phelan were going to drive the changes needed. Based on the press conference today that isn't the case and he is happy to tow the company line and collect his pay cheque. Why shouldn't people question him? Why shouldn't people point out his about face?

He also said in the press conference this morning that Utd have had no offers for any players. Being ruthless and clearing out the deadwood is a non runner if nobody wants to buy our players. I'm guessing Ole didn't predict his when making those statements.

Ashley Young is ready to be put out to pasture. Phil Jones is a walking meme. I'm not sure who'd want those players. In terms of players playing their last game all we can hope is certain players don't even make the bench for long spells next season unless injuries forces our hand.

For my sanity I've been largely avoiding the thread during the transfer window this year, although its impossible to avoid Utd's transfer related news in reality but so far we have signed two midtable team players who are prospects.

Looks grim, is the general tone around here bleak?

He also said in the press conference this morning that Utd have had no offers for any players. Being ruthless and clearing out the deadwood is a non runner if nobody wants to buy our players. I'm guessing Ole didn't predict his when making those statements.

Ashley Young is ready to be put out to pasture. Phil Jones is a walking meme. I'm not sure who'd want those players. In terms of players playing their last game all we can hope is certain players don't even make the bench for long spells next season unless injuries forces our hand.

For my sanity I've been largely avoiding the thread during the transfer window this year, although its impossible to avoid Utd's transfer related news in reality but so far we have signed two midtable team players who are prospects.

Looks grim, is the general tone around here bleak?

Is there no offers because absolutely no one wants our players or because United value them too highly? If the club really wanted players out the door they would get them out the door. Young was linked to an MLS move - could easily see that. I refuse the believe there are no clubs that would sign Jones.

The biggest problem in selling our players is the money they are on. Clubs can get similar players on less wages. So United will need to reduce the transfer fees - which United don't seem to want to do. Talk of Rojo being shopped for 25million - but when he will likely want to be the best paid player (or near) at any club cause thats what United are paying him, 25million plus the wages becomes undoable. So sell him for cheap, get him out the door. Like we should have done with Darmian last summer.

The only options for players at United simply can't be 1. stay at United or 2. retire cause no other club will want you.

If they are deadwood. If they are not good enough. GET RID. Stop cluttering the squad with players we don't want, on massive money.

As for the ruthless comment - then Ole shouldn't have said it in the first place if he doesn't want to be held to account on it.

Is there no offers because absolutely no one wants our players or because United value them too highly? If the club really wanted players out the door they would get them out the door. Young was linked to an MLS move - could easily see that. I refuse the believe there are no clubs that would sign Jones.

The biggest problem in selling our players is the money they are on. Clubs can get similar players on less wages. So United will need to reduce the transfer fees - which United don't seem to want to do. Talk of Rojo being shopped for 25million - but when he will likely want to be the best paid player (or near) at any club cause thats what United are paying him, 25million plus the wages becomes undoable. So sell him for cheap, get him out the door. Like we should have done with Darmian last summer.

The only options for players at United simply can't be 1. stay at United or 2. retire cause no other club will want you.

If they are deadwood. If they are not good enough. GET RID. Stop cluttering the squad with players we don't want, on massive money.

As for the ruthless comment - then Ole shouldn't have said it in the first place if he doesn't want to be held to account on it.

From previous experience we seem to value our players very low and got bad returns on investment when selling on players. I wouldn't say our value is high or low yet, I'd say we haven't had a starting offer to say yes or no or too, or to even negotiate up or down from.

I don't know why the idea of other clubs not wanting Jones is surprising, I find it totally plausible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Fans should stop going to games.

Imagine Old Trafford being half attendance or less. Empty seats every where week after week.

Imagine the reaction from sponsors and investers and the media. The owners would have to react it happens in all sports and businesses in general.

The worse it gets change happens.

Money and popularity is all that's important to them.

This will never happen as it's too big a club for all fans to stop going. ST holders won't want to give up their tickets as there are long waiting lists. Families won't want to stop bringing their kids to the team they support. Whole host of reasons.

What I do agree on is that there should be well organised protests. Go to games but don't come in until 10 minutes into the game (if on live TV even better), booing or waving of green/gold scarves, banners, etc on the 3rd minute (Glazer ownership in 2003), even the throwin of tennis balls caused a stir in the Aviva.

Once it's well organised, there are ways to protest inside the stadium and it needs to attract media attention as we know they will run with the story.

Easy there chief. Your point was not clear at all. By business, I mean trying to sign players. I’m still not sure what your asking of me!? Don’t know where you are off to with this blind optimism. Im neither optimistic nor pessimistic. Just trying to look at the situation for what it is.

You might as well say “the club is doing something” in terms of asking people to calm down. I am saying your “the club is doing business” comment doesn’t really suggest or tell us anything at all. You're just telling people to calm down because stuff is happening.

I’m not getting involved in the panic as I have my own realistic expectations of what to expect. But people are correctly worried about the state of the club and how it’s been run based off 7 years of wasted resources and an unclear plan. Fans being very worried is not based on a couple of weeks of no signings when it’s way more then that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

United showed a great appetite to cull players cut wages when Moyes was sacked.

Now they are confused about how to do it, just shows how more football people are needed making decisions.

Van Gaal had the guts to remove senior players and look to the youth structures as a way to manage a reduced number of players. It was easy in season 1 though as he had no Europe at all. We can all see the likes of Blackett went nowhere but it provided chances and guys like Rashford or Lingard got the benefit. Then a new manager arrived and that policy died because it was the managers rather than the clubs policy.

Ole looks willing to give players a chance but with a potential league side and seperate cup side due to Europa League then I can see why they are resisting a fire sale before January at least. The problem is that holding back means the policy lacks conviction and the manager will probably end up selecting the experienced highly paid players available.

You might as well say “the club is doing something” in terms of asking people to calm down. I am saying your “the club is doing business” comment doesn’t really suggest or tell us anything at all. You're just telling people to calm down because stuff is happening.

I’m not getting involved in the panic as I have my own realistic expectations of what to expect. But people are correctly worried about the state of the club and how it’s been run based off 7 years of wasted resources and an unclear plan. Fans being very worried is not based on a couple of weeks of no signings when it’s way more then that.

This is something entirely different to what you originally said.

Firstly, this ‘something’ you reference. I stated multiple times that as per the numerous reports and strong links from the more reliable sources that we are actively pursuing specific targets (Maguire for example), and therefore we are clearly ‘trying’ to do business. Not withstanding that Olè himself confirmed we are actively pursuing 1 or 2 targets. However, as I again explained multiple times, it’s a difficult market at the moment. Your assessment of me telling everyone to calm down we are clearly doing stuff doesn’t wash.

People are allowed to be worried at the state of the club, I am too. This has nothing to do with what I was posting about though and the panicky posts I was referencing previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

From previous experience we seem to value our players very low and got bad returns on investment when selling on players. I wouldn't say our value is high or low yet, I'd say we haven't had a starting offer to say yes or no or too, or to even negotiate up or down from.

I don't know why the idea of other clubs not wanting Jones is surprising, I find it totally plausible.

We pay average players wages that great players are not receiving

When we try sell these players nobody will offer them what they are being and they won't leave to take a cut in wages

Who can blame them being overpaid for your ability why would you want to leave

Nuts102 wrote: »

When we try sell these players nobody will offer them what they are being and they won't leave to take a cut in wages

So you reduce the transfer fee so wages can be matched or pay a percentage of the wages. Maybe unpalatable but necessary if we ever want to build a squad to compete at the top end again.

Or stop giving them stupid contracts to 'protect their value' which makes them unsellable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Was some murmurs of him coming back to us.

https://twitter.com/SalfordCityFC/status/1148939930535636993?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

fwiw on Lemina.

not one person would've thought Robertson would go on to be considered by many as the best LB in Europe after Liverpool signed him.
    not one person would've predicted Gini Wijnaldum as being as integral to the team when Liverpool signed him.

signing big names on big wages doesn't seem to have been working.

Lemina is the type of hungry talent that could kick on in the right environment. you never know.

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »

So you reduce the transfer fee so wages can be matched or pay a percentage of the wages. Maybe unpalatable but necessary if we ever want to build a squad to compete at the top end again.

Or stop giving them stupid contracts to 'protect their value' which makes them unsellable.

Some of our players are on high wages, especially marquee names and the Sanchez deal is ridiculous but a lot or at least about half of the squad are on about what you would expect especially some of those we would want to move on.

Jones for example is about 50k a week, Young is 110k a week, a little high for Young but not extortionate.

Lower pay scale
    Lee Grant – £20,000 (2020)
    Scott McTominay – £25,000 (2023)
    Diogo Dalot – £50,000 (2023)
    Phil Jones – £50,000 (2023)
    Sergio Romero – £50,000 (2021)
    Matteo Darmian – £60,000 (2019)
    Daniel James – £67,000 (Undisclosed)
    Eric Bailly – £75,000 (2020)
    Victor Lindelof – £75,000 (2021)
    Marcus Rashford – £75,000 (2020) this increased after new contract
    Marcos Rojo – £80,000 (2021)
    Chris Smalling – £80,000 (2022)
    total 12 players

Mid tier
    Eric Bailly – £75,000 (2020)
    Victor Lindelof – £75,000 (2021)
    Marcus Rashford – £75,000 (2020)
    Marcos Rojo – £80,000 (2021)
    Jesse Lingard – £100,000 (2021)
    Ashley Young – £110,000 (2020)
    7 players

High end
    Fred – £120,000 (2023)
    Nemanja Matic – £120,000 (2020)
    Juan Mata – £140,000 (2019)
    Luke Shaw – £160,000 (2023)
    David de Gea – £200,000 (2019)
    Romelu Lukaku – £200,000 (2022)
    Anthony Martial – £250,000 (2024)
    Paul Pogba – £290,000 (2021)
    Alexis Sanchez – £350,000 (2022)
    9 players

With the TV money in the EPL I can see some clubs being able to afford a lot of our low to mid scale wages and I doubt very much Utd is trying to sell these players in the sense that someone at the club is picking up the phone and ringing around to other clubs "Hey you want Young or Jones".

Plus Mitches point about having a low transfer fee to offset the wages is something we have seen a lot in the past few years.

I think the main problem is everyone is enjoying seeing Utd struggle and the phone just isn't ringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Was listening to the Pilib De Brún / Martin Wallwork podcast, and they really feel sorry for Ole, a manager who wants to rebuild properly but those above him not backing him the way they should. Wallwork went as far as to say he wouldnt be surprised to see Ole gone by Christmas, which led them to ask each other 'What are the goals and expectations for the coming sesaon?"

Its a very interesting question. Is he expected to get Top4 or Top6? Is he expected to do better? The last 6 seasons has seen us finish 6th, 2nd, 6th, 5th, 4th, 7th
    We are currently in rebuild mode so surely he will be given time? The current team are really no better than 6th, even with a flailing Chelsea and cash strapped Arsenal. Even with the additions of AWB and James, you'd still put us 6th. What are the clubs expectations this season do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

SlickRic wrote: »
    fwiw on Lemina.

not one person would've thought Robertson would go on to be considered by many as the best LB in Europe after Liverpool signed him.
    not one person would've predicted Gini Wijnaldum as being as integral to the team when Liverpool signed him.

signing big names on big wages doesn't seem to have been working.

Lemina is the type of hungry talent that could kick on in the right environment. you never know.

Respectfully, "you never know" isn't exactly a solid transfer strategy.

And thats all it is, taking punts on players and hoping they blossom into superstars. Why do we think Lemina, Longstaff and and James will be good first team players for us? Well, you never know.

I highly doubt the likes of Robertson were bought on that basis, he had 100 senior club games over 5 seasons before Liverpool bought him and he was added to an already established side. Was he expected to be the best LB in Europe? Probably not, but I bet there was plenty of thought put into the transfer.

Lenina? 25 years old, spent his twenties as a bit part player, has showed absolutely no sign of "kicking on". Salah was playing great for Roma before Liverpool took that chance, compare that to Lemina's recent record and its night and day. And Lemina would be joining a completely dysfunctional side, so I don't see his hunger and I don't see how this is the right environment, so again all we might have is "you never know".

If these players were signings 7 and 8 behind the real work done to improve the first team I would still be iffy on if they were worth it. That they are the only players we are being linked with full stop just makes me despair.

Lets face it, Woodward heard once that there is a Kante or Mahrez hidden away in lots of smaller clubs and he thinks its a great idea to take these punts on players that have shown absolutely nothing to suggest they are Manchester United quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Jones for example is about 50k a week,

Phil Jones – £50,000 (2023)

I dont think these are correct. They recently signed new contracts, both on 120k a week i believe. Stand to be corrected but the salaries you have are from last year. Both were out of contract this summer so it was either let them go for free or give them what they want. Now they are 2 very hard players to sell imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Mata took a wage drop this month aswell.

• Advertisement

Respectfully, "you never know" isn't exactly a solid transfer strategy.

And thats all it is, taking punts on players and hoping they blossom into superstars.

Something in the club is happening for some reason we don’t know why so we have nothing to worry about.

Let’s stop all this negative talk and bickering and focus on our drive for 4th spot...

KmKKsTV.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

pjohnson wrote: »
    Mata took a wage drop this month aswell.

Was offered a 180k a week 1 year deal but wanted a 2 year deal do negotiated a drop down to 120k I read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Players like Lingard and Rashford I think will surprise people this season if they remain injury free. No doubt a lot of work being done on fitness and these guys when they are on form can cause serious problems for teams with their pressing. Last year, playing through the Summer and then a demanding enough season being asked to do a lot under first Jose and then Ole had them looking shattered by the end. Mostly rested this Summer and with proper conditioning could really step it up imo. Same with a good few players.

People may not rate Ole but we seen enough last season to show that he's not a mug and will hold the players to some standards. I'm happy to believe that he will have the strength of will to stand up to underperforming players and nobody will overstay their welcome if not ready to work for the team. If the mentality is implemented this season and the players conditioned to play Ole's system on the front foot I think there will be some surprises. I'm optimistic at this point. There's very few hopeless cases in the squad now Valencia is gone and Young will hopefully be a bench warmer. Though if Smalling could join him in that I'd be happy...

• damowill wrote: »
    I dont think these are correct. They recently signed new contracts, both on 120k a week i believe. Stand to be corrected but the salaries you have are from last year. Both were out of contract this summer so it was either let them go for free or give them what they want. Now they are 2 very hard players to sell imo

50k me bolox is correct

Jones earns at a minimum 120,000
    Smalling was 80 prior to his new contract and I'd suspect its more. Would need to do some digging on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Fairly sure Jones is on £120k per week.

Didn't read anything definite on Smalling, but he was reportedly on £80k per week prior to signing his last contract.
    So would expect its over £100k anyway

Isn't Darmian on something like £60k?
    That shouldn't be a big obstacle to many PL or Serie A clubs signing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

The real reason no one wants to sign for us...

man-utd-19-20-away-kit%2B%25288%2529.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Liam O wrote: »
    Players like Lingard and Rashford I think will surprise people this season if they remain injury free. No doubt a lot of work being done on fitness and these guys when they are on form can cause serious problems for teams with their pressing. Last year, playing through the Summer and then a demanding enough season being asked to do a lot under first Jose and then Ole had them looking shattered by the end. Mostly rested this Summer and with proper conditioning could really step it up imo. Same with a good few players.

People may not rate Ole but we seen enough last season to show that he's not a mug and will hold the players to some standards. I'm happy to believe that he will have the strength of will to stand up to underperforming players and nobody will overstay their welcome if not ready to work for the team. If the mentality is implemented this season and the players conditioned to play Ole's system on the front foot I think there will be some surprises. I'm optimistic at this point. There's very few hopeless cases in the squad now Valencia is gone and Young will hopefully be a bench warmer. Though if Smalling could join him in that I'd be happy...

If they were well coached with a focus on getting the best from the team and some more balance is brought to the squad then United would improve without a doubt. Not to the level of City for example, not without a big improvement in quality but they should still be able to kick on.

One worry is that too often we see a player change resulting in team set up changing. Players like James coming in or Greenwood joining the squad should help with that over time when Martial or Rashford are out but how will it be enough for now when they are so low on experience?

Should United have brought in a couple of seasoned players like a Sergio Canales from Real Betis to help with that transition time?

Another big question is can the manager do it as a coach, especially with a side who have underperformed, worked in a poor environment? His background would not give confidence so it is a big question mark over the team.

Liam O wrote: »

The real question is what authority Ole has in the dressing-room. Maybe he wants to hold players to some standard but how far can he go? Are certain players undeoppable? I’d say Sanchez and Pogba at least had Clauses in their contracts and I’m sure other players were pushing for similar guarantees that have been signed since December.

My feelings aren’t that Ole might not have the skills to navigate the united problems but the fact is that we have nothing to point to suggest he’s up to the task. He doesn’t have the experience so we are left filling in that deficiency with “ah sure it worked at Barca” or something like that. Truth is, he has a massive job working with an under performing squad, an under performing club and is most likely limited in the changes he is able to make. If Jose was getting push back from Woodward you can bet your ass an unproven coach like ole will have even less flexibility.

I hope Ole proves all us doubters wrong but it will be a fairytale story. He’s up against it from multiple angles, not just his lack of experience. If he can even stop the teams form drastically shifting from solid to terrible he has a decent shot of a top 4. Who knows, Maybe he can steady the ship and work with whatever crap way the glazers run the club. I wonder what is the minimum target he has been set this year.

The real question is what authority Ole has in the dressing-room. Maybe he wants to hold players to some standard but how far can he go? Are certain players undeoppable? I’d say Sanchez and Pogba at least had Clauses in their contracts and I’m sure other players were pushing for similar guarantees that have been signed since December.

My feelings aren’t that Ole might not have the skills to navigate the united problems but the fact is that we have nothing to point to suggest he’s up to the task. He doesn’t have the experience so we are left filling in that deficiency with “ah sure it worked at Barca” or something like that. Truth is, he has a massive job working with an under performing squad, an under performing club and is most likely limited in the changes he is able to make. If Jose was getting push back from Woodward you can bet your ass an unproven coach like ole will have even less flexibility.

I hope Ole proves all us doubters wrong but it will be a fairytale story. He’s up against it from multiple angles, not just his lack of experience. If he can even stop the teams form drastically shifting from solid to terrible he has a decent shot of a top 4. Who knows, Maybe he can steady the ship and work with whatever crap way the glazers run the club. I wonder what is the minimum target he has been set this year.

So Sanchez was a sub most of the time, but sure, yeah... Has a clause in his contract.

Ffs making up sh1t to beat the club and the manager with. There's enough without this utterly baseless rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

If he can even stop the teams form drastically shifting from solid to terrible he has a decent shot of a top 4. Who knows

I know that he couldn't do it last season, I know that because we saw it, his team was utterly dog**** the last 3 months of the season and he couldn't do anything about it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement