Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

So Sanchez was a sub most of the time, but sure, yeah... Has a clause in his contract.

Ffs making up sh1t to beat the club and the manager with. There's enough without this utterly baseless rubbish.

Fair enough I’m wrong about Sanchez.

You know, I think the last 2 times you have responded to posts of mine, you have used your charming personality to try to correct me.. I’m lucky to have you being so vigilante in trying to uphold the validity of my comments.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I know that he couldn't do it last season, I know that because we saw it, his team was utterly dog**** the last 3 months of the season and he couldn't do anything about it.

Here’s a question I keep asking myself. What actually could happen this summer for me to be optimistic next season ? I can’t really Answer it.

I mean if ole can’t address the drastic form swings what hope does he have ? If the existing players, most of whom we have retained thus far, are not really the problem then what is? He could galvanize the team and get them into the to 4 or they could end up mid table like the Chelsea title winning team. United’s form swings are similar to that Chelsea team.

If Pogba and lukaku leave the team is weaker, but might lower expectations allow ole to experiment and work under less pressure? I really don’t know what’s the best thing for the team right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

Respectfully, "you never know" isn't exactly a solid transfer strategy.

And thats all it is, taking punts on players and hoping they blossom into superstars. Why do we think Lemina, Longstaff and and James will be good first team players for us? Well, you never know.

I highly doubt the likes of Robertson were bought on that basis, he had 100 senior club games over 5 seasons before Liverpool bought him and he was added to an already established side. Was he expected to be the best LB in Europe? Probably not, but I bet there was plenty of thought put into the transfer.

Lenina? 25 years old, spent his twenties as a bit part player, has showed absolutely no sign of "kicking on". Salah was playing great for Roma before Liverpool took that chance, compare that to Lemina's recent record and its night and day. And Lemina would be joining a completely dysfunctional side, so I don't see his hunger and I don't see how this is the right environment, so again all we might have is "you never know".

If these players were signings 7 and 8 behind the real work done to improve the first team I would still be iffy on if they were worth it. That they are the only players we are being linked with full stop just makes me despair.

Lets face it, Woodward heard once that there is a Kante or Mahrez hidden away in lots of smaller clubs and he thinks its a great idea to take these punts on players that have shown absolutely nothing to suggest they are Manchester United quality.

So Robertson had an average of 20 games a season before Liverpool? Is that not "bit part"?

I accept your point about an established squad. It seems to me our goal should be to establish that in the next few years. I'm happy to accept we need 5 odd years to restructure (we needed that post-AF but nobody ever got that time). I'm willing to accept a diverse range of purchases to develop that squad, including the likes of James and Longstaff (if that gets done). I doubt OGS is going to get that time, and if he doesn't (or any other manager for that matter) I expect us to remain no better than top 6 until then.

You last paragraph is wild speculation, but suits your agenda. The "Let's face it" part really made me cringe though. Why state it as if it's self evident? Woodward has spent the best part of a half a decade making headline signings; Di Maria, Pogba, Sanchez, Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Lukaku... That he has this season signed 2 relative low key signings doesn't mean he's decided to radically alter his methodology; it's just a different type of signing.

I also find your dichotic presentation of transfer strategies way too simplistic; Ubited just "take a punt" because "you never know while Pool "put plenty of thought" into theirs. Do you actually believe that that is United's strategy? Do you think Woodward developed his financial carrer by taking punts on "you never know's"? He might be incompetent as a footballing director, but I doubt his logic is that reductive. And do you not think that Liverpool don't fully understand that there is always an element of punt-taking with transfers? Just because they read the cards better doesn't mean they're not playing poker.

That said, I am not saying we are fine poker players. We need a huge effort to reestablish ourselves as one of the top teams in England. Because currently we are not. I don't believe this transfer window is an opportunity to rectify that, it will take several.

I generally quite like your opinions, which is why I'm reaponding at length. What are your reasonable aspirations for next season?

Also, note that I'm a long time lurker and occassional poster here who is currently on holidays with my missus and our baby. Lot's of day drinking and protracted bedtime routines is giving me plenty of time and motive to post here. Watch me disappear in a week or so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Drumpot wrote: »

What about Pogba who was dropped by Jose? Or the part about other players seeking and signing deals with such guaranteed playing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

Here’s a question I keep asking myself. What actually could happen this summer for me to be optimistic next season ? I can’t really Answer it.

For me at least, the following would make me more optimistic

- appoinment of the best possible director of football that money can buy, someone who has proven their ability at another top club, not just a token Utd legend to appease the fans while Woodward retains real control.

- an official club statement indicating that Ed Woodward will be working purely in a commercial capacity and will no longer have any involvement in club transfer business

- i would like to see the club signing the targets they can immediately rather than waiting to see who leaves first. At least Ole will have his squad more or less complete and can have a good preseason with them. Then worry about getting rid of the dead wood.

- if pogba or anyone decides to act the cnut and treats the club like sh1t then they should be left to rot in the reserves until we get the price we want for them. Its not like the club aren't in a position to absorb that cost, plus it will send a very clear message to any other players who are thinking of throwing a strop until they get their way. If a player wants to leave and is professional and respectful about it then fair enough but the likes of Pogba is making us look weak. It simply should never be tolerated at a club like Utd.

That would be a step in the right direction Imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You last paragraph is wild speculation, but suits your agenda. The "Let's face it" part really made me cringe though.

There are people on here with agendas, I simply state my own thoughts, whatever they may be. If that makes you cringe then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

You last paragraph is wild speculation, but suits your agenda. The "Let's face it" part really made me cringe though.

There are people on here with agendas, I simply state my own thoughts, whatever they may be. If that makes you cringe then so be it.

As I said, I like your opinions. I'm actively seeking it here. What makes me cringe is presenting your opinion as if it's blindingly obvious and we'll all agree. If you're taking exception to my use of the word "agenda", fine, I'll accept that you don't have one in the way some of the "bag man Jose" or Pogbacolytes seem to. But you presented an opinion (which I have no problem someone holding) with a preface that undermines the intellect of the reader.

Anyway, I need a beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

A statement of intent regarding the direction of the squad, more specifically, get rid of certain key members of the squad who have undue influence on the squads internal culture.

Take the hit, both in money terms and in results, take the season of struggle but make it very clear to all and sundry that there is a plan, that this culture of mediocrity will no longer be tolerated and that anybody who wants to stay needs to completely and utterly toe the line.

It should have been done last summer and it wasn't. Ole hinted at it a few months ago but has rowed back on that bullishness. But the best thing that club could do is **** a few high profile players into the wilderness and serve warning that things have changed.

Combine that with some strong first team signings and they might get somewhere. Continue with this wishy washy bull**** and things are only going to get worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

What is the priority for June 30th 2020 Europa League Champions or scrappy 3rd/4th place in league. With the Europa we could finish 10th and have a champions league group stage for 20/21 but it'll be a long horrible slog to get that.

European based players specifically fringe players will be out to shine this coming season all eager to break into their national squads for Euro 2020 the England Spanish French Italian Dutch and German teams will be different to the squads last match day not to mention the Welsh Portuguese and Eastern European teams all of which have a fair few aging players next summer will be a cattle market for transfer window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Seen online Duncan Castle's mention we have rejected a bid cash plus Nainggolan for Matic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,474 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Seen online Duncan Castle's mention we have rejected a bid cash plus Nainggolan for Matic.

As average as Matic was for a lot of the season, I wouldn't even consider it.

It's another player with fairly suspect temperament and attitude.
    And at 31 can he stand up to the rigors of a long slog of a Premier league season?

Conte is a shrewd operator and is doing his best to ship him out for a reason

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ok lads, let’s make this more.....complex.
    Rashford
    Martial———-Lingard
    Bruno - SMS
    lemina
    Shaw - Maguire - Lindelof - AWB
    DDG

How does that fair in the league next year, you reckon?

The Martial/Lingard bit looks bad. James, Sanchez, Chong, Greenwood and Mata are the alternatives. It’s why I’d be ok with a Bale loan too, short term...

Edit. Forgot Ben Yedder. So shunt Rashford out wide and put Ben Yedder up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I would dread to see bloody Lingaard starting in the 1st team but unfortunately it says a lot about our squad.

The guy shouldnt be near the team and i'd argue not even good enough for the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

You know, I think the last 2 times you have responded to posts of mine, you have used your charming personality to try to correct me.. I’m lucky to have you being so vigilante in trying to uphold the validity of my comments.

tenor.gif

So which of smalling Jones and Young have these clauses?

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Rashford
    Martial———-Lingard
    Bruno - SMS
    lemina
    DDG

The Martial/Lingard bit looks bad. James, Sanchez, Chong, Greenwood and Mata are the alternatives. It’s why I’d be ok with a Bale loan too, short term...

I think Pogba will sign a new United deal to suit United and Pogba this summer. Real won't have the cash this season to buy him. They recently got Kroos to sign a new deal and won't need to replace Modric this summer so I think it is more of a long game for them. United will sell next summer to fund Sancho.

I think Lukaku goes so Ben Yedder or someone like that will join.

I think Fernandes or another midfield option comes in to provide a right side option while waiting for Sancho but also the player who, next summer will effectively replace Pogba.

I think a CB will be signed.

So this year

Rashford
    Martial - Bruno

Pogba - Matic - Fred

De Gea

Lukaku replacement can swap in for any of the front three.

• Advertisement

DiMarizio saying Lukaku bid officially lodged.

10m for a two year loan, followed by an obligation to buy, with 30m paid in 2021, and 30m in 2022, totally 70m.

DiMarizio saying Lukaku bid officially lodged.

10m for a two year loan, followed by an obligation to buy, with 30m paid in 2021, and 30m in 2022, totally 70m.

lol

What an embarrassing offer

Sorry, seems to be a Romano, not DiMarizio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Bang-average footballers cost 50m. I fear football died the day PSG bought Neymar. There was no going back.

Sorry, seems to be a Romano, not DiMarizio.

I’m also seein a bit of confusion....it actually might be.

10m loan fee for year one.
    30m loan fee for year two
    30m fee to purchase in year three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Paltry offer. They obviously have no money. We really need a 2nd team to come in for him to get a deal that's favourable. Inter will go for Dzeko for 15m eventually

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Talk is Conte wants him so he will demand them to pay I'd say

I’d take Skriniar plus money in a heart beat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Headshot wrote: »

I think he signed a new long term contract recently and iirc there were reports he had no interest in United.

He is top class and would be a huge addition to the team.

Headshot wrote: »

I think United would have to give the money though.

If they put 10 at the end and 30 at the front I think they would get him.

Its kinda surprising that Lukaku, who some make out to be a top striker isn't a being sold for more in the current market and b clubs aren't banging down to door to sign him for that price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I find it a bit crazy that just after our manager pointed out that we haven't had a single bid for any players all window, rumours today have said both Matic and Lukaku have had bids placed. Odd timing or someone is talking crap imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I bet we accept that offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Rashford
    Martial———-Lingard
    Bruno - SMS
    lemina
    DDG

I think you could substitute complex for unrealistic. Can't see us signing Maguire, Lemina, SMS, Bruno and Yedder in the next month.

I think DM_7 will be much closer. 2 or 3 signings and a Lukaku replacement if Inter win the Euro millions.

For fear of being a bit excited, I'm looking forward to seeing how we set up in preseason. If it's 4-2-3-1 I think we'll see something like this for the start of the season.

DDG
    AWB - Maguire - Lindelof - Shaw
    Lemina - Fred
    Bruno - Pogba - Martial
    Rashford

AWB, Bruno & Maguire would make a big impact. Have a feeling James is going to turn out to be a good buy. Would take Lemina as well, especially for the rumoured fee. A transfer too much for Ed I feel.

Plenty of options in the squad, cover for fullbacks a concern though. I'm really not too concerned about getting rid of some dead wood this summer. Lads crying for the squad to be gutted when we know Woodward isn't the best at multitasking. Sign 3 more and I'll be happy, let others sit on the bench/stands if needs be.

Should be a Top 4 team/squad if Ole can get them all playing... That's the big question/challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

70 mil!? We should be demanding 115m!

If we dont sign a right sided midfielder and keep pogba. I could see a 352 in our future

_____DGG

__WB--Linder--Whoever

Dalot
    Shaw

________Fred
    Matic

___________Pogba

_______Rashford---Martial

Rashford
    Martial———-Lingard
    Bruno - SMS
    lemina
    DDG

If we sign 3 midfielders in the next 4 weeks I'll be shocked, never mind 5+ players for around the first team. Ole's recent words suggest that any more purchases will be minimal rather than the likes of a spree.

Bruno Fernandes is starting to remind me of Fabinho or Thiago Alcantra now. Completely media driven and the only reputable United journos commenting on it are the Simons: Stone hasn't been optimistic, and Peach said that we 'like' him a week or two ago.

Maguire could arguably be making a step sideways with a move to United*, plus Leicester are able to offer him the very attractive proposition of no Europa League football.

At best, I see 2 more signings being made in this window. If Pogba is sold, it will be late in the window after a saga and too late for us to replace him with someone like SMS.

*Not saying we're the same as Leicester now, but we saw out last season in some terrible form. Ole's first 10 weeks in charge were the stuff of dreams and title-winning form, but those last 10-12 weeks were Cardiff/relegation form. I'm actually worried about him as manager going into the new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    70 mil!? We should be demanding 115m!

The problem is we will in no way get anything like that as Ole has already told him he would be back up apparently. That means his agent will be putting that out there.. I'd take 10/35/35 basically 72 or so million pounds, most deals would be structured and not paid up front anyways so the only thing different would be that its initially a loan. We have enough cash to make it work on our side anyways

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I find it a bit crazy that just after our manager pointed out that we haven't had a single bid for any players all window, rumours today have said both Matic and Lukaku have had bids placed. Odd timing or someone is talking crap imo.

Inters chairman/owner was in London today, would have been after the press conference which was at 5am

In a market that has balloned since we bought Lukaku, where defenders are going for 50 mil regularly enough, selling Lukaku for 70 mil at a loss, in installments in a (most likely rising market) is mental to me,

I dont rate him at the top level, as ive said before but **** id keep him over them poor offers

ShooterSF wrote: »

At a guess, there’s not been any formal bids, but that doesn’t mean there’s not been informal ones offered to see where we stand on prices, demands, etc.

• Still can't put my finger on how we are not in for Anderwield, what is the bloody reason? Release clause is nothing.

Think il speak to Willson in private about this issue.

Still can't put my finger on how we are not in for Anderwield, what is the bloody reason? Release clause is nothing.

Think il speak to Willson in private about this issue.

I seen a breakdown of the clause last night, ridiculous that we ain't in for him at this price and breakdown, looks like Roma are making a move for him, surely he would choose us over Roma

https://twitter.com/HLNinEngeland/status/1148900490048131072?s=19

• Advertisement

• Trigger wrote: »
    I seen a breakdown of the clause last night, ridiculous that we ain't in for him at this price and breakdown, looks like Roma are making a move for him, surely he would choose us over Roma

https://twitter.com/HLNinEngeland/status/1148900490048131072?s=19

Absolute cocunuts for that price. Like even if we got him on a two year contract. Instant experience and leadership injected into the defence.

I'd nearly row the boat over to collect him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's not impossible that he doesn't want to join. At present it would be a backwards step, even if it is a lot more money

Is it unrealistic for United to expect 70million in a lump sum up front? I thought staged payments were the norm?

yes it would be worded as an initial loan but in reality it is a purchase with 10million up front then 30million in each of the following summers... which feels rather normal (with only the smaller sum being first the thing I would think slight out of the norm).

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's not impossible that he doesn't want to join. At present it would be a backwards step, even if it is a lot more money

It is not impossible no.

But it seems like United aren't even making a move.

Toby seems more likely to want to join than De Ligt for example, but we seemingly moved for him.

So while getting rejected is by no means impossible, it doesn't seem like that is the case - it seems like we just aren't making a move.

(we've heard no different so that should be the base assumption, imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Did Ed Woodward travel to Australia would anyone know. If he didn't hopefully he was tied up on working on signing players and getting rid of the ****e in the squad.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

It is not impossible no.

But it seems like United aren't even making a move.

Toby seems more likely to want to join than De Ligt for example, but we seemingly moved for him.

So while getting rejected is by no means impossible, it doesn't seem like that is the case - it seems like we just aren't making a move.

(we've heard no different so that should be the base assumption, imo)

It could easily be a case that we contacted both, and both indicated their preference not to join United - but De Ligt having Raiola involved and his preference for the publicity of his transfer dealings meant that his approach would always have more leaked information.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

It's sad that it wouldn't surprise me if United accepted that bid for Lukaku.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

I wonder will Lukaku actually be replaced if he does go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

billyhead wrote: »
    Did Ed Woodward travel to Australia would anyone know. If he didn't hopefully he was tied up on working on signing players and getting rid of the ****e in the squad.:D

Don't think he did.

Remember when we had the last pre season in Australia and he flew home for "urgent transfer business" and we never ****ing signed anyone. :pac:

adox wrote: »

It will tell a lot about the clubs plans if he is not replaced.

I wish United would make improvements across the team but if they are working slowly for good reason then I can see reasons for delays. Pogba influences Bruno, Maguire fee too high, Diop high now looking at Milenkovic etc.

But United need a forward regardless so if Lukaku goes and a player is not signed the season will be a slog.

• adox wrote: »

The board replace him? Doubtful!
    If we did we will get a downgrade at best I'd suspect.
    Lukaku is still a 20 goal a season striker. Hard to come by in the current market and he's still only 26.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement