Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

There's the problem throughout the team in a nutshell. Players with piss poor attitudes being rewarded and praised,others who wouldn't make the Villa starting XI being given new contracts.
    A club with the status and ambition of United should never be rewarding such players.

That idea has already been destroyed.

Martial still at the club.
    Sanchez still at the club.
    Darmian still at the club.
    Rojo still at the club.
    Jones still at the club.
    Smalling still at the club.

Herrera gave his all, allowed to leave, no replacement.
    Fellaini gave his all sold, no replacement.

Midfield in tatters, no movement.
    Central defence a collection of mostly poor players, no improvements.

The club have shown this summer, more than any other, that competing at the top end is not the goal, its not the ambition. When the club makes that clear, how can we expect the people employed by the club to act differently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I think it's laughable that Pogba's reason for moving is to "look for a new challenge". He hasn't come anywhere near meeting his potential at United and has run from any challenge. Unless his challenge isn't football related and is just to get as big a payday as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I can see the benefits of him staying, if we iMprove people around him.

But I’d be disgusted if he was rewarded after his comments and his agents comments. Would destroy the idea of rebuilding the correct mentality round the squad,

There were reports at the end of the season that he would be looking for a pay raise as wages are cut 25%(?) This year because of no CL.
    Whose fault (amongst many others) is that Paulie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Almost Rooney esqe in 2010 , the team going downhill and future doesnt look bright as the top prospects wont come Ozil then De Ligt now.

I do certainly not enjoy Paul Pogba as a Man United player, I was and still am in the belief that Unites should of sticking with Jose.

Howecer in a way he is right, United have shown a complete lack of direction the past few years, and as one of the worlds leading players atleast from a marketing perspective why wouldnt you flutter your eyes at Juventus, Real Madrid or PSG, where you are almost garunteed to win womething every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    My first paragraph was a direct response to your own in which you try to compare Lukaku & Griezmann's international records in order to highlight RL's ability. I'm saying you inherently can't compare the two for a multitude of reasons thus it can't be used to prove anything.

Not trying to misrepresent your points, apologies if that's what it looks like. I am really busy in work and really shouldnt be here ! !!

I was comparing the two to show that its not all negatives with Lukaku and indeed some statistics suggest hes strengths in areas others dont. Being able to score more goals against weaker teams is a strength (not a weakness) that not all strikers have (even some really good ones). Not scoring as many against the stronger teams that seems to be the only thing discussed which is an unbalanced assessment. What exactly is fair, in your opinion, when assessing a player ?

Likewise, my point was that Pogba takes the attention away from other poor performers in the side. He gets pilloried for poor performances and a seeming lack of effort & interest. Lukaku displays the same if not worse level of performance as well as a lack of interest yet receives much less criticism. If Pogba wasn't around to take all the attention (or was simply playing in a manner which meant he didn't deserve it) then Lukaku would be receiving much more flak and have many less excuses made for him.

You can buy as many players as you want to "support" him but if Lukaku decides he doesn't want to run 10 yards like in some matches last season then he's not going to.

Again, this is a hypothetical scenario (I am ok with Hypothetical) thats only relevant if Pogba leaves and we see how that effects Lukaku. Pogba is the centerpiece of the team and these sort of players will always attract the most attention. Hes not a victim because he courts alot of it, but the club has invested way more resources on Pogba to make it work. He deserves proportionately more attention and criticism as such.

If Pogba left and Lukaku was still under performing then attention would turn towards him. But lukaku wasnt having a massive public spat with the manager and airing his dirty issues in public. That alone made him a smaller target. Pogba brings alot the attention (negative) on himself by what he does and says . Pogba ended up arguing with a fan at the ground after a terrible game last season. Why is it always Pogba ? Its not because hes an innocent victim of circumstances. We all know people who seem to instinctively attract drama and attention, I think Pogba is one of those characters.
    I'm not saying we actually are rebuilding - I've been one of the more vocal posters in criticising Ed/the Club/Ole about the lack of work being done.

But, we were given the impression that there would be an overhaul of the club/squad, a rebuild started and I'm saying in that context it makes to sell a player who doesn't fit the vision of the team.

I've said in the past that Id nearly be happy to offload Pogba, Sanchez and Lukaku to see Ole mould a squad with lesser quality, but more drive and potential. Even out of those three i mentioned, I personally would prefer Lukaku to be the last one to leave. And part of that is below, because i think hes most likely to be able to adapt of a more "team building" strategy. Sanchez didnt leave Arsenal to play with Arsenal, if you know what i Mean. And Pogba has higher aspirations that I dont think we can offer without gargantuan investment thats not gonna happen.

I remember when Moyes took over I said to a friend Id be ok with 3 years out of CL if Moyes was allowed build a proper squad. I would feel the same if I knew Woodward had a long term plan (we dont know what it is, if any) and Ole was going to get the support he needs (whatever that is, maybe time and not a top 4 target?) to do a proper restructure of that squad.

• Advertisement

If the club replace him, it will be a second choice/back up player we replace him with.

TBH i'd rather use the money to buy a RW, based on the assumption Rashford is first choice. While not ideal we have Martial, Sanchez and Greenwood on the books who could come central. We don't have a right winger.

Its why i thought Yedder would be a good pickup. Half the price of Lukaku, feels a squad gap and allows funds to be funneled towards the right wing.

though the club looks like they have no interest in addressing that spot, again.

What's the latest with Griezmann? Is it still frosty between AM and Barca over their transfer carry on? If AM won't sell to them, could be an opening.

Notorious wrote: »
    I think it's laughable that Pogba's reason for moving is to "look for a new challenge". He hasn't come anywhere near meeting his potential at United and has run from any challenge. Unless his challenge isn't football related and is just to get as big a payday as possible.

United are also further away from being a competitive team than when he joined.

We need far more rebuilding now than then.

Whatever about Pogba, it should also be noted the club has regressed even further in the last 3 years rather than getting back on top. That isn't down to Pogba.

paulbok wrote: »
    There were reports at the end of the season that he would be looking for a pay raise as wages are cut 25%(?) This year because of no CL.
    Whose fault (amongst many others) is that Paulie?

Wonder if Woodward is having his wages cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1149262030685310977?s=20

Paulie just getting in the way at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

PARlance wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1149262030685310977?s=20

Paulie just getting in the way at this stage

Rom could learn a thing or two :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Club is fúcked altogether if Pogba gets a fat new contract.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Pogba getting a new deal into his 4th season is logical or him looking to get a move to another club if a new deal cannot be arranged is also logical.

A 5 year deal is also for the security of the club so that they can sell a player at this stage of a contract.

The club have not shown a desire to sell him so they should be looking to establish a new contract and agreement with the player.

The stay or go situation should already be resolved imo and that is the thing I would question the club on most.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Club is fúcked altogether if Pogba gets a fat new contract.

whatever the rights of it - I can't see how he stays this season without the club even trying to get him on a longer term contract.

I know I b1tch about giving players contract to protect their value, but it would be criminal to lose Pogba on a free transfer (AGAIN!) just like we are in danger of doing with DDG.

I actually thought, before his comments in Japan and Riola, that there was a very good chance of him being on a new contract and sporting the captains arm-band when the season starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

DM_7 wrote: »
    The stay or go situation should already be resolved imo and that is the thing I would question the club on most.

This has been typical of the club in recent years. Complete lack of decisiveness and then making poor reactive decisions. I'm convinced there is not another club in the world who would still have Woodward in control of football related decisions. What the fcuk has been happening about appointing a proper director of football? Not a thing.

It's farcical.

Quandary wrote: »
    This has been typical of the club in recent years. Complete lack of decisiveness and then making poor reactive decisions. I'm convinced there is not another club in the world who would still have Woodward in control of football related decisions. What the fcuk has been happening about appointing a proper director of football? Not a thing.

It's farcical.
    Well....if you believe what the papers are saying:

United have told Pogba they aren't going to sell him.
    United have told Madrid they aren't going to sell him.
    United have rejected out of hand the offer from Madrid and refused to counter their offer in negotiations.

If that is true, the club have been decisive on the issue.

If Madrid, Pogba and Riola are still pushing it - that is on them and there isn't really much the club can do about it. As long as Pogba is not in breach of contract its not like they are going to fine him over another club trying to buy him.

Has to be new contact or sold with Pogba, given his character and what he has said I don’t see how it can any other way.

I’d rather he’s sold but does anybody think he could be retained, not get a pay rise and Pogba would play well or be focused on what United need? The club has no cards to play as contracts don’t mean a lot , only In selling players. And does nobody else think Pogba could ramp up efforts to move the closer it gets to deadline day in Spain?

The big question is probably how much Madrid want him and how far they will go to get him and how far he will go to push the move. Woodward can pretend to be in a position of power but he’s not really. We can’t afford an unhappy superstar in that squad so he has to go if he’s not happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Drumpot wrote: »
    Not trying to misrepresent your points, apologies if that's what it looks like. I am really busy in work and really shouldnt be here ! !!

I was comparing the two to show that its not all negatives with Lukaku and indeed some statistics suggest hes strengths in areas others dont. Being able to score more goals against weaker teams is a strength (not a weakness) that not all strikers have (even some really good ones). Not scoring as many against the stronger teams that seems to be the only thing discussed which is an unbalanced assessment. What exactly is fair, in your opinion, when assessing a player ?

Well my original point was that you can't use international performances as much of an indicator for anything at club level. So I find these inter comparisons of goals scored by players at international level to be entirely superfluous. I mean there is an innumerable amount of variables there.

And I never said goals can't be used to assess a player's performance.
    Again, this is a hypothetical scenario (I am ok with Hypothetical) thats only relevant if Pogba leaves and we see how that effects Lukaku. Pogba is the centerpiece of the team and these sort of players will always attract the most attention. Hes not a victim because he courts alot of it, but the club has invested way more resources on Pogba to make it work. He deserves proportionately more attention and criticism as such.

If Pogba left and Lukaku was still under performing then attention would turn towards him. But lukaku wasnt having a massive public spat with the manager and airing his dirty issues in public. That alone made him a smaller target. Pogba brings alot the attention (negative) on himself by what he does and says . Pogba ended up arguing with a fan at the ground after a terrible game last season. Why is it always Pogba ? Its not because hes an innocent victim of circumstances. We all know people who seem to instinctively attract drama and attention, I think Pogba is one of those characters.

Ah c'mon now. Paul Pogba isn't responsible for Romelu Lukaku's attitude, or his performances for that matter.

I've said in the past that Id nearly be happy to offload Pogba, Sanchez and Lukaku to see Ole mould a squad with lesser quality, but more drive and potential. Even out of those three i mentioned, I personally would prefer Lukaku to be the last one to leave. And part of that is below, because i think hes most likely to be able to adapt of a more "team building" strategy. Sanchez didnt leave Arsenal to play with Arsenal, if you know what i Mean. And Pogba has higher aspirations that I dont think we can offer without gargantuan investment thats not gonna happen.

I remember when Moyes took over I said to a friend Id be ok with 3 years out of CL if Moyes was allowed build a proper squad. I would feel the same if I knew Woodward had a long term plan (we dont know what it is, if any) and Ole was going to get the support he needs (whatever that is, maybe time and not a top 4 target?) to do a proper restructure of that squad.

I said similar things a few months ago. I was prepared to completely write off next season entirely if it was at the expense of the club being structured properly, a pathway for the development of the team established, and the rebuild started. But we're yet to see proper indicators of that so who knows what's happening.

Has to be new contact or sold with Pogba, given his character and what he has said I don’t see how it can any other way.

I’d rather he’s sold but does anybody think he could be retained, not get a pay rise and Pogba would play well or be focused on what United need? The club has no cards to play as contracts don’t mean a lot , only In selling players. And does nobody else think Pogba could ramp up efforts to move the closer it gets to deadline day in Spain?

The big question is probably how much Madrid want him and how far they will go to get him and how far he will go to push the move. Woodward can pretend to be in a position of power but he’s not really. We can’t afford an unhappy superstar in that squad so he has to go if he’s not happy.

If the team stays at it is, nope, pogba will be no different.

If we improve the team around him I think he would also improve. I don't think he likes playing for United, cause United are rubbish. And that affects his performances. It shouldn't do. he should be 100% every match regardless of Rashford missing chances or Lukaku missing the ball and Smalling the man. But that isn't his character, imo.

I would say the same of giving him a new contract and the team staying the same. I don't think a contract will affect his performance either way. If the team around him remains rubbish, so will his performances.

Well my original point was that you can't use international performances as much of an indicator for anything at club level. So I find these inter comparisons of goals scored by players at international level to be entirely superfluous. I mean there is an innumerable amount of variables there.

And I never said goals can't be used to assess a player's performance.

I think any positive is a positive. It may not hold the same weight (International v Club). But when you look at the fact that at Everton, United (at least one season things were going well) and Belgium, he has shown an ability to perform to good levels and get a decent goal haul for all three.

Anybody who has joined united, manager or player, has a blemish on their record. This just cannot be ignored when judging players, including Pogba.

Ah c'mon now. Paul Pogba isn't responsible for Romelu Lukaku's attitude, or his performances for that matter.

I wasnt saying that Pogba was responsible for Lukakus attitude. I was saying Pogba brings the attention on himself , is a higher profile player and the club invests more resources on him. I think its understandable that Pogba gets more attention and more attention only equates to positive attention (that he got when he played well) when he deserves it. But on the flip side he gets more negative attention when hes under performing and/or airing his grievences to the press or even fans at the stadium.

I think Pogba replaced Zlatan as the main man in the dressingroom. Zlatan was so positive, driven and was happy to be at the centre of attention. Zlatan loves to back up what he says about himself on the pitch. Pogba appears to be a different kind of character but asides from appearing to get on with fellow players its not clear how positive an influence he is in the team. Maybe hes a great influence but unfortunately comes across as a problem player with a massive ego that hasn't performed consistently to a level that would be expected of a player of his quality. Maybe hes a neutral influence ? Does it really matter at this stage ? He wants to go and for whatever reason he has never been able to find consistent form at the club.

I said similar things a few months ago. I was prepared to completely write off next season entirely if it was at the expense of the club being structured properly, a pathway for the development of the team established, and the rebuild started. But we're yet to see proper indicators of that so who knows what's happening.

I am with you on that. I asked the other day what could happen this summer for people to have any optimism. A few responded with similar sort of ideas in terms of restructure of the way the club is run.

I think keeping the majority of this squad or the major players might lead to a top 4 spot or a mid table spot if they get into a Chelsea 2015/16 rut which is completely possible. I fear that Ole wont last the season, but would much rather have lower expectations, with different players (younger with potential and hunger) , then lower expectations with the same bunch.

If the team stays at it is, nope, pogba will be no different.

If we improve the team around him I think he would also improve. I don't think he likes playing for United, cause United are rubbish. And that affects his performances. It shouldn't do. he should be 100% every match regardless of Rashford missing chances or Lukaku missing the ball and Smalling the man. But that isn't his character, imo.

I would say the same of giving him a new contract and the team staying the same. I don't think a contract will affect his performance either way. If the team around him remains rubbish, so will his performances.

Yeh, You are probably right. What do you think he will think of the players they have gotten thus far ? Would 1 or 2 fairly big signings (statement signings) appease Pogba ?

God, it feels like a gambler doubling down on a bad hand, by trying to find a way to get Pogba up to the high standards he has shown in spurts. How much do you think should be invested in Pogba (on him and other resources to accommodate him) before we cut our losses ?

I know what you mean though, the problem is that I have absolutely no confidence that the club can meet Pogba's targets. His ambitions are probably higher but it would be funny if the club ended up getting better quality players because of the influence of Pogba. . I think alot of us would have to eat some humble pie if that came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

He's contracted for another 3 years. I don't think Pogba has much power really other than hurting his own brand and by extension Man Utd's. His agent on the other hand can probably impact on certain players going there. I'd hope if he is sold, the club move to disassociate themselves from any of his players.

Tiellemans & Ndombele could have been brought in by now and likely drastically improved the midfield. (assuming they'd have joined). Their combined salary would probably be less than Pogbas!

They need to nearly have players in place before selling Pogba, because once they have that money in, asking prices go up by 25% on top of the Man Utd premium, Woodward is a mug Premium and the EPL being awash premium

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Pogb££m

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/#/yr/2019

I think when 2013/14 is wiped from the record (think at start of this season) united might jump up to maybe 12th. Mad when you think of how bad it feels at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I think when 2013/14 is wiped from the record (think at start of this season) united might jump up to maybe 12th. Mad when you think of how bad it feels at the moment.

Barca got more points than liverpool, despite being knocked out by them. I presume that's because they performed better in the group stages or something, but Chelsea also got more points in the "lesser competition".

Yeh, You are probably right. What do you think he will think of the players they have gotten thus far ? Would 1 or 2 fairly big signings (statement signings) appease Pogba ?

God, it feels like a gambler doubling down on a bad hand, by trying to find a way to get Pogba up to the high standards he has shown in spurts. How much do you think should be invested in Pogba (on him and other resources to accommodate him) before we cut our losses ?

I know what you mean though, the problem is that I have absolutely no confidence that the club can meet Pogba's targets. His ambitions are probably higher but it would be funny if the club ended up getting better quality players because of the influence of Pogba. . I think alot of us would have to eat some humble pie if that came out.
    I don't think he will think much of them at the moment to be honest.

James could be good (maybe he is impressing in training) and I think pogba would welcome someone that has the pace (and intent) to stretch the play like he possibly could.

but losing Herrera beside him, and currently his partners coming from McTominay, Matic and Fred will be uninspiring. the lack of a right winger or offensive pace on that side will probably annoy him too, no outlet on that side.

I do think a big part of the Pogba problem is he doesn't rate a lot of the people he plays with. When he gets the ball he is the one that has to create the attack, and move play on (in his head). So when he gets it he is looking for a creative pass to midfielders behind him, or players coming short - so he waits for an attacking move, it doesn't come (cause lord knows our players have been rubbish at attacking movement) so he holds and holds and holds and gets tackled, whinges, mopes and gives up.

What he is doing is wrong, he should be giving, going, getting, giving, going - he should be on the move all the time, looking for the pockets and driving possession forward through movement as much as passing. He is too passive in matches. I'm not saying what he does is correct, but i think that is what is happening.

If he had wingers who carried a threat, midfielders who were moving into spaces and offering non-defensive out balls, if the team was playing at a high tempo with pace and movement through midfield and attack I think Pogba would improve no end - simillar to how we played during the Ole bump and subsequently how Pogba played in the Ole bump. When the pace was lost from attack, when the tempo was lost in midfield, when teams started to be able to pass around us with ease again, Pogba lost interest (again, he shouldn't, but he did, imo) and thus... what we see.

Its why I think Pogba does better for France, did better for Juve and would do better for Madrid. Not because he hates United as a club, but because the platform provided a functioning team with attacking threats to play with gives him the mojo he needs to perform. Rightly or wrongly.

The drive and ability of Pirlo and Vidal, or Kante and Sissoko, or...... Matic and McTominay. The intent and ability of Greizman, Mbappe vs Martial and Rashford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I get the feeling Ole is going to be happy to promote within and romanticize about the class of 92

I can see Lukaku sold and no rw player signed

I think we will see Chong, Greenwood, Gomes and Garner be given a chance instead next season which I think will be a disaster for the club and them

Even if Lukaku leaves and is not replaced it puts too much pressure on Rashford to score 20 plus goals

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I get the feeling Ole is going to be happy to promote within and romanticize about the class of 92

I think we will see Chong, Greenwood, Gomes and Garner be given a chance instead next season which I think will be a disaster for the club and them

Even if Lukaku leaves and is not replaced it puts too much pressure on Rashford to score 20 plus goals

Because you think that is ole's preference or because that is the choice he will be left with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

SAF was right about pogba. Simple as. United would be in a far better place without him,especially in the long term. A great player but needs a team functioning and capable around him. Hes not the player you bring into transform a team, especially one in flux.

I seriously worry with Ole at the helm and even more so if a player which has as high an influence as pogba remains, when he clearly doesnt want to be there.

Nuts102 wrote: »

I don't understand how it would be a disaster for those players. Fans would be behind the players, they need to play to develop and it would give them a great start.

I think the club would be wrong to rely on them as you say. I don't get a sense they will, otherwise the clear out would have happened. Greenwood is the only one who looks to be pushing for a regular place and the others will be part of the cup side at best. The club still has a lot of senior squad options behind the first 11:

Romero,
    Young,
    Jones,
    Bailly,
    Rojo,
    Darmian,
    Mata,
    Sanchez,

Can add Dalot, Pereira and McT in as second choice, they were big parts of the squad for Ole last time out. James has just signed as a first team squad player.

If Ole gives young lads a chance it won't be based on a nostalgic outlook but because he believes in players, they won't be selected as they happen to be at the club, they would only be picked if he thinks they have the quality he is looking for.

• Advertisement

SAF was right about pogba. Simple as. United would be in a far better place without him,especially in the long term. A great player but needs a team functioning and capable around him. Hes not the player you bring into transform a team, especially one in flux.

I seriously worry with Ole at the helm and even more so if a player which has as high an influence as pogba remains, when he clearly doesnt want to be there.

SAF wanted him kept, and on a new contract.

Pogba left cause Pogba wanted to leave, not cause Fergie got rid.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I’d be thrilled to see Greenwood, Chong and Gomes loads of time, especially in the EL.

Everyone raves about Sancho for 100m, but the key thing with him is he was given so much play time and showed he was worth it. So I’d happily see if Greenwood or Chong, as examples, could do something in that position.

I’d love, though, an additional “older” singing too, just to take some pressure off them if they do struggle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1149349896648044544?s=21

Fabrizio Romano: #Inter meeting done with Man United. Nothing decided yet, it was just the start. Inter made their bid and told they strongly want to sign Lukaku. Official talks started. Man Utd will give their answer soon about the loan+obligation to buy - and about the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Scott McT interview up on youtube. Can't post the link as it's a little positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Fabrizio Romano: #Inter meeting done with Man United. Nothing decided yet, it was just the start. Inter made their bid and told they strongly want to sign Lukaku. Official talks started. Man Utd will give their answer soon about the loan+obligation to buy - and about the price.

Would these "meetings" not last about 5 / 10 mins...

Hardly much discussion to be done.

• Advertisement

So there does actually seem to be genuine interest from another club in Lukaku, we could really be losing him this Summer. He is not my favourite striker, but he is someone who scores goals and will need replacing with someone proven. Not just a gamble on 'Rashy'.

What about Pogba though and his United future? I'm starting to wonder if "Maybe it's time for a new challenge" really means "Maybe it's time for a new contract". I wonder if all the Raiola comments are part of his infamous arsenal for playing hardball with clubs when it comes to getting the best deal for his clients. To getting parity with Sanchez.

I wouldn't mind if there were some credible links about another club's interest in Pogba or reports of negotiations between clubs, but there doesn't seem to be. If it is Real Madrid he is destined for, where is the intense public pursuit which they are renowned for? They fúckin hounded us for Ronaldo.

I don't doubt that Pogba would ultimately like to star at a top 3 European club and therefore leave United, or that Real Madrid are interested in him. However, those things aren't the same as advanced negotiations to complete what would likely be a €120m-€150m deal.

We've seen players from other clubs use Manchester United to get a better contract at their current clubs in the past. Ronaldo did it for years at Madrid. If Pogba can't leave now and no one will cough up the money for a transfer, I can definitely imagine Pogba/Raiola seeking to better their terms at United at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

McTominay can actual sing! Good to see the players having a laugh and a bit of bonding before the season. Hopefully translates onto the pitch.

https://twitter.com/TheManUtdWay/status/1148954275172761602?s=09

SAF wanted him kept, and on a new contract.

Pogba left cause Pogba wanted to leave, not cause Fergie got rid.

It's crazy how often this argument comes around.

You can quote as often as you like Fergie from his book saying how eager he was to get Pogba to sign a contract extension but people still play it off as some sort of managerial genius decision.

Exactly like you said, he wasn't shown the door, we tried to hold onto him but he left. Only thing Ferige believed was it was due to Mino in his ear.

PARlance wrote: »
    Scott McT interview up on youtube. Can't post the link as it's a little positive.

Hope I don't get banned for it.

Also talking about fitness was interesting to hear him say he thinks some of the players never had as tough of a week like the one they had last week in terms of a work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

All very well Lukaku hitting the high road but that for the first time in the clubs lifetime leaves us a grand fûcking total of ZERO strikers to pick..

Rashford and Martial ok can and have played there but Martial’s obvious strengths lie in more deep, wider and more creative roles... Rashford only a utility squad player at this point, not having kicked on... things not looking too bright as yet up front.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    All very well Lukaku hitting the high road but that for the first time in the clubs lifetime leaves us a grand fûcking total of ZERO strikers to pick..

Rashford and Martial ok can and have played there but Martial’s obvious strengths lie in more deep, wider and more creative roles... Rashford only a utility squad player at this point, not having kicked on... things not looking too bright as yet up front.

I don't think Martial's greatest strength is certain to be from out wide. He is a great finisher which would be a major strength and needs to be in the box to make best use of it. I think out wide he is often lost against deeper sides and would be more use as a CF.

I think if Lukaku goes United sign a forward though.

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Would these "meetings" not last about 5 / 10 mins...

Hardly much discussion to be done.

The transfer negotiations have to start somewhere. Maybe that first meeting is simply where United outline what it will take to get the deal done. Rather than enter lengthy negotiations there and then, the buying party go away to consider it and return soon with their answer or counter-offer.

The point for me anyway is that talks seem to have started for a deal on Lukaku to leave the club. If this is the case, then he is not in Ole's plans for next season and has been given the go ahead to leave. That leaves me wondering/worried about what striker Ole sees picking up most of our goals.

Also happy to hear James had McTominay as his travel partner in the squad.

Already spoke how I think James has the right mentality but pairing him with Scott is a good move. He's a player most will agree is a hard worker and exactly the sort of player we need more of.

Having him help integrate James into the squad also isn't just a good move in terms of the right mentality but he's also an example of a young player who's taking his chances so James no doubt will look to emulate that at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I'm convinced the whole fernandes links were gaitanesque and we are only signing longstaff for our MF.. The thought saddens me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

The transfer negotiations have to start somewhere. Maybe that first meeting is simply where United outline what it will take to get the deal done. Rather than enter lengthy negotiations there and then, the buying party go away to consider it and return soon with their answer or counter-offer.

The point for me anyway is that talks seem to have started for a deal on Lukaku to leave the club. If this is the case, then he is not in Ole's plans for next season and has been given the go ahead to leave. That leaves me wondering/worried about what striker Ole sees picking up most of our goals.

Rashford, clearly and maybe another one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don't think Martial's greatest strength is certain to be from out wide. He is a great finisher which would be a major strength and needs to be in the box to make best use of it. I think out wide he is often lost against deeper sides and would be more use as a CF.

I think if Lukaku goes United sign a forward though.

Ok, though maybe behind a striker would be best, Martial running at defenses, his link up play being superb and the ability to finish I think might see him more effective behind a striker. Can’t hammer home enough how much we need a world class striker though...two even..

Cotts72 wrote: »
    I'm convinced the whole fernandes links were gaitanesque and we are only signing longstaff for our MF.. The thought saddens me

At this stage we'll be lucky to get Longstaff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Interested in who is ahead of them if you have them in 12th?

This is how it works it out when I totted up but I might have gotten some wrong?

1 Real Madrid CF
    2 Club Atlético de Madrid
    3 FC Barcelona
    4 FC Bayern München
    5 Juventus
    6 Manchester City FC
    7 Paris Saint-Germain
    8 Liverpool FC
    = Arsenal FC
    10 Manchester United FC

Robson is out in Oz so for once I would put stock on his word.

https://twitter.com/jamesrobsonES/status/1149432199134846976?s=19

One thing I don't get is why United have not bought him or moved on well before now. What is with the delay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Robson is out in Oz so for once I would put stock on his word.

https://twitter.com/jamesrobsonES/status/1149432199134846976?s=19

One thing I don't get is why United have not bought him or moved on well before now. What is with the delay?

Mr Ed Woodword

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement