Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

£50 fúcking million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

DM_7 wrote: »
    Robson is out in Oz so for once I would put stock on his word.

https://twitter.com/jamesrobsonES/status/1149432199134846976?s=19

One thing I don't get is why United have not bought him or moved on well before now. What is with the delay?

Welcome to utd transfer strategy

One of the biggest and supposed richest clubs in Europe but we're ****ing awful in the transfer window

It's beyond a joke at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Maguire

Ben Yedder

Fernandes

Longstaff

Lemina

Milinkovic Savic

Milenkovic

7 players we are apparently interested in No way do we sign more than 2 of those

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Hope we just go for SMS and Fernandes at this rate.. give Fred a chance as the DM. He covers loads of ground and is good at nicking the ball

Also reckon Lemina is the back up deal to Longstaff.. expect them to maybe push ahead with that one..

Inter sporting director told reporters he was meeting with United about lukaku today too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Trigger wrote: »
    Mr Ed Woodword

Has to be more than Ed. I don't believe he is faffing about because he likes faffing about. Something else must be influencing the timing of when they are willing to or able to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Has to be more than Ed. I don't believe he is faffing about because he likes faffing about. Something else must be influencing the timing of when they are willing to or able to spend.

Well the end of the financial year was June 30th I think so couldnt be that. Unless they are looking to sell

God it would bring tears of Joy to see the Glazers gone.

Ed checks next on list, Tielmans eh, better ring Moanco.

Ooooooooooooooooo

Hope we just go for SMS and Fernandes at this rate.. give Fred a chance as the DM. He covers loads of ground and is good at nicking the ball

Also reckon Lemina is the back up deal to Longstaff.. expect them to maybe push ahead with that one..

Inter sporting director told reporters he was meeting with United about lukaku today too

I still have hope for Fred it might be wildly misguided but there has been enough glimpses that there is a player there, we have seen over the years players needing time to adjust and what he came into last year was not ideal.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »

Arsenal are currently being run into the ground by their American owners, United still generate lots of money so I just can't see them leaving, the only ones who can afford to buy the club are people who you wouldn't want owning the club (mostly) so we are essentially ****ed as fans of the club

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Well the end of the financial year was June 30th I think so couldnt be that. Unless they are looking to sell

There was an article a few weeks ago saying that, outside of sales happening, there was only £100m available for signings.

Defo a briefing

"Ed Woodward, United’s executive vice-chairman, is understood to have contacted Lee Charnley, the Newcastle managing director, on Saturday to enquire about Longstaff only to be told he will cost £50m."

"United are thought to be prioritising the Maguire deal and the situation involving Romelu Lukaku at the moment. Piero Ausilio, Inter Milan’s sporting director, is understood to have flown to London for talks with United officials on Thursday as the Italian giants bid to thrash out a deal for the wantaway Belgium striker."

"Solskjaer has told his United squad he will not accept a repeat of last season’s troubles, when they finished the campaign in sixth place after taking eight points from their final nine league games. The manager sat his squad down on the first day of pre-season last week and spelled out his demands.

“We had a meeting on the first day in which the manager and the staff spoke about what they expect from us, what they expect from Manchester United players,” midfielder Juan Mata revealed.

“I think that’s the right thing to do. I think we all have to know what we represent, we have to know the level that people expect from us and I think it’s good to do it the first day. Since then, they’re trying to help the players, trying to improve in the way they want us to play and it’s all fine so far.”

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1149430790746329088?s=19

Not sure what the briefing is aimed at. Something for the press lads to report as not much really happening? United trying to use the media to make a 30million price look like a great deal instead of a crazy price or maybe just a "well we really tried to buy a player" but had to stop that deal?

The briefs make United look very silly to be only learning about prices and getting all shocked now in July.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Headshot wrote: »

Until it happens the club is paralyzed imo.

Woodward needs to removed from any footballing decisions. He has reigned over the post Fergies era, possibly as the Glazers puppet.

There has been so many amateur hour moments in the last few years, a large chunk of them in the transfer windows too.

It’s an awful feeling thinking that nothing will change until they are gone.

I know it’s not as simple as get rid of them and everything will be rosey again but it seems the obvious starting point. I don’t like using the term but they are a cancer at the club and no good will come as long as they are in charge.

I’m sure I’ll think of something positive to post at some stage. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ninthlife wrote: »
    Maguire

Ben Yedder

Fernandes

Longstaff

Lemina

Milinkovic Savic

Milenkovic

7 players we are apparently interested in No way do we sign more than 2 of those
    1 would be great tbh. Seems Lukaku is off so hopefully Ben Yedder I guess.

We need to prepare to bid, then bid below the price asked. Wait about a week to prepare the next bid which may or may not actually meet the asking price (if it doesnt meet the asking price wait about a week and repeat). Then we normally get terms sorted handy enough. Give the medical two days to get done. Then confirm the deal 2 - 3 days after the medical!

"Solskjaer has told his United squad he will not accept a repeat of last season’s troubles, when they finished the campaign in sixth place after taking eight points from their final nine league games. The manager sat his squad down on the first day of pre-season last week and spelled out his demands.

“We had a meeting on the first day in which the manager and the staff spoke about what they expect from us, what they expect from Manchester United players,” midfielder Juan Mata revealed.

“I think that’s the right thing to do. I think we all have to know what we represent, we have to know the level that people expect from us and I think it’s good to do it the first day. Since then, they’re trying to help the players, trying to improve in the way they want us to play and it’s all fine so far.”

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1149430790746329088?s=19

That makes utterly depressing reading.

Shambolic.

• Advertisement

adox wrote: »
    That makes utterly depressing reading.

Shambolic.

I read it as a good thing? Outlining expectations? How last season ended was unacceptable?

You start from the top up.

You can get the best manager in the world but if the board room is incompetent it won't matter an ounce

This will cause big trouble for Ole as if times get hard for him, he will the sacrificial lamb. It will be a very hard watch to see Ole under pressure and possibility losing his job, not a nice sight for a club legend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭Robson99

We really are ****ed in the middle of the park
    Matic.... past it
    Fred.... looks very average
    Pogba....wants out. Bye bye.
    Mctominay...back up not a full time first teamer
    Mata... too slow and past it
    Lingard...as Mctominay
    Pereira.....as Mctominay and Lingard
    Dont think iv left anyone out... except young players

Really need a whole new middle of the park 3 assuming Pogba goes.
    No class or pace in that list above

The thing I can't understand is if the club is successful it will generate more money obviously.

We have spent vast amounts of money on players, but seemingly penny pinch behind the scenes.

You could pay top scouts, Dof, statistical analysists all for less then what Sanhcez earns in a year. But it isn't being done.

The glazers obviously just look at the profit line of the club (like any company they own) and dont care about results.

Woodward to me seems like he is scrambling to hold things together and keep his job but I feel he also enjoys the limelight of being pictured in the stands at matches etc.

I'll give Woodward this he is a very smart man financially and has managed to generate serious money through selling the club, but the sad fact is everyone has now caught up or is catching up by copying him.

He is failing to copy the systems at other clubs they use for recruiting players, managers, etc

This current vision of hiring inexperienced mangers, coaches, players is being cheap and hoping to get lucky.

• I don't think he's struggling at all to accomplish what the Glazers wish to achieve. He's actually exceeding expectation.

The measure for success at this club is how much money it can generate primarily by marketing means therefore how much can be squeezed out of it while keeping the reported revenues annually at a "profit".

The actual football being played is secondary to all of this.

This is optimized by prolonging the clubs "history". We used to win things member that?

The club are using this as a front but have quickly turned us into the old Liverpool while the actual new Liverpool continue to push the foot on the gas and leave us miles behind.

Ole is sadly a fresh lamb for the slaughter and such an easy install for Woodward. The fans gave Woodward exactly what he wanted after the sacking of Jose, a manager bounce, player bounce and ultimately a false sense of security for the fans. It again was too late for the majority to realise that Ole is the perfect man for the job according to Woodwards requirements.
    A man in love with club but also a man who will never oppose his superiors. The exact opposite of the man previously in charge.

It's become harder year by year where and when the rot ends.

That tiny hope of something mega happening this window is fading.

• Advertisement

Football to uneducated me also seems to be reaching a bubble point, wages are massive, transfer fees are massive. Is there enough of an eco system to keep it all together.

Big clubs are having trouble letting go players on big wages, Ozil, Sanhez, Bale

United seemingly cant get any value from the market, regarding transfer fees, wages or contract renewals.

I do fear if a bubble bursts and we are on the wrong side of it, we could be royally ****ed going forward.

Maybe Mike Ashley will turn out to be the genius in all of this just cashing in on the system during the good times or maybe now im ranting :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If the Glazer family really cared about the football side of things there would have been a DoF appointment made and a proper long and short term plan in place.

They have wasted huge money since SAF left and look no closer to getting it right and cant see how it can when there is no plan seemingly in place.

Things will only change when the revenue starts to drop.

So to paraphrase everything thats just been said.

Unless Ole turns out to be the messiah we are ****ed :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Too negative.

I’m on the positivity train.
    Rashford - Ben Yeddar
    Fernandes
    SMS - Scotty
    Lemina
    Shaw - Lindelof - Maguire - AWB.
    DDG

Gotta sign em all, Poké....uh, Man United!

Just following up on this from earlier...
    https://twitter.com/fabrizioromano/status/1149349896648044544?s=21

Fabrizio Romano: #Inter meeting done with Man United. Nothing decided yet, it was just the start. Inter made their bid and told they strongly want to sign Lukaku. Official talks started. Man Utd will give their answer soon about the loan+obligation to buy - and about the price.
    Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Would these "meetings" not last about 5 / 10 mins...

Hardly much discussion to be done.
    The transfer negotiations have to start somewhere. Maybe that first meeting is simply where United outline what it will take to get the deal done. Rather than enter lengthy negotiations there and then, the buying party go away to consider it and return soon with their answer or counter-offer.

with this from later...

“We had a meeting with Man United for Lukaku. It has been an official approach between two important clubs. Let’s see. Conte wants every player we’re trying to sign”

So the ice was broken today between United and Inter on Lukaku, formalities have begun. Whether this actually leads to Lukaku departing from United, that's another thing. However, if talks are happening, he has been given the go ahead to leave and the manager sees him as surplus to requirements.

I really hope Ole/Ed have their sights set on another striker to bring in, because I don't believe that we're going to replace Lukaku's goals via players already at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Different players, different teams, different roles, different opposition, different situations etc etc etc. There are any number of reasons why the two aren't comparable tbh.

So in other words it doesn’t matter because you like Griezmann.

Lukaku scores a ****e tonne of goals for a good team and it doesn’t matter.

He’s also proven he can score a ****e tonne for poor teams like West Brom. WEST BROM. Doesn’t matter.

He’s proven he can score goals for functioning teams like Everton. Doesn’t matter.

Some people need to understand their biases, because the numbers don’t lie, one poor season in a teams that didn’t function and he was in and out of the team doesn’t erase 7 years of goal scoring.

its grand against the andorras of the world when you have DeBruyne and Hazzard to keep giving you chances but it wont work in the premier league

113 premier league goals says it absolutely will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

You have to laugh at people happy to leave Lukaku go and Rashford to take over

Lukaku was in and out of the team last season and scored more than Rashford

He scored goals against Psg that Rashford would never score because he is a natural striker taking a chance a keeper might mess up

What's more infuriating is Woodward will probably accept that awful offer from inter and spend 50 million up front for Longstaff

beno619 wrote: »
    its grand against the andorras of the world when you have DeBruyne and Hazzard to keep giving you chances but it wont work in the premier league

113 premier league goals says it absolutely will.

It doesn't matter he doesn't score against big teams he only scores against teams we should be beating

That is around 90% of the teams in the league sure we don't need him to score against them

We would hammer minnows like Cardiff at home oh wait

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

50mil for Longstaff...eh how about no? Maybe they will accept 15m. Or tell them where to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

barry194 wrote: »
    Would love us to get Milinkovic Savic and Milenkovic. Both would be great additions. Starting to get worried about how slow things seem to be moving. Only 4 weeks left.

Watched Milenkovic at the Euro u21s in Italy. He’s worse than Jones & Smalling and that’s saying something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Stone says there's nothing to the Lemina / Milinkovic stories. That's not Milinkovic-Savic though.

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1149483993764487168

Robson99 wrote: »
    Fred.... looks very average

Has been written off far too early. He cost £50 million and performed well in the second half of the season. Some individual mistakes leading to goals will cloud people’s judgement but he’s was no worse than Pogba last season in terms of giving up the ball too easily at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I read it as a good thing? Outlining expectations? How last season ended was unacceptable?
    I think we all have to know what we represent, we have to know the level that people expect from us
    31 year old Juan Mata needs to be told what is expected from him in his 7th season at Manchester United. Thats the sort of leadership from our senior players that got us where we are today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Fred's been guilty of giving the ball away far too often last season but he's impressed me in other ares of his game

saw some very impressive stats from him the other day too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Has been written off far too early. He cost £50 million and performed well in the second half of the season. Some individual mistakes leading to goals will cloud people’s judgement but he’s was no worse than Pogba last season in terms of giving up the ball too easily at times.

He was just not really poor in the second half and when most of this thread seem to blame Pogba for every ill of the team saying he was no worse than Pogba isn't a positive.

Fred has done nothing to show we should consider him a promising option for this season. He has it all to prove.

He was just not really poor in the second half and when most of this thread seem to blame Pogba for every ill of the team saying he was no worse than Pogba isn't a positive.

Fred has done nothing to show we should consider him a promising option for this season. He has it all to prove.

I meant no worse than Pogba in terms of dispossessions leading to goals.

Thought he was the best United player Vs PSG both legs and carried that form on for a month including Arsenal where he played very well but ultimately cost us a goal.

Has it all to prove but the point still stands he shouldn't be written off after one season.

Taken in the context of what has gone on before, what has been said, how long the team have been poor, how long this group of players have been together, how long the manager has been there, how long Juan Mata has been there, I think it is shambolic and embarrassing.

Last season didnt just end unacceptable, it was at least three months of totally unacceptable. The manager even publicly acknowledged this, said a rebuild was needed, said some of the players have played the last game for the club etc and yet here we are in mid July with the team in Australia, with the same cast of suspects being told for the umpteenth time that they need to do better.

On Fred Im`reserving judgement as hes only been there a season but for me he had a really poor first season.

He actually stood out at certain times because he has lots of energy, covers the ground well and likes to put his foot in. I think those attributes stood out because of the utter lack of it early all over the pitch.

Hes made some bad mistakes but his passing and control have left a lot to be desired and he seems to utterly panic when within 30 yards of goal.

• Advertisement

I think it's unfair to write Fred off after a season where he did show signs of promise

Baily after his first season looked like he was going to be top class

Lindelof after his first season looked very shaky and imo was one of the best cb in the league last year

I mean if Pogba goes he is imo our best midfielder which when you think about it is frightening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

So in other words it doesn’t matter because you like Griezmann.

Lukaku scores a ****e tonne of goals for a good team and it doesn’t matter.

He’s also proven he can score a ****e tonne for poor teams like West Brom. WEST BROM. Doesn’t matter.

He’s proven he can score goals for functioning teams like Everton. Doesn’t matter.

Some people need to understand their biases, because the numbers don’t lie, one poor season in a teams that didn’t function and he was in and out of the team doesn’t erase 7 years of goal scoring.

What are you talking about?? :confused:

It would help if you had read the other posts and you would have seen that I didn't even bring Griezmann into the conversation. A poster tried to use Antoine Greizmann's international record as evidence for how good Lukaku is for United and I pointed out how that doesn't prove anything.

Every time somebody criticises Romelu Lukaku there's always somebody on hand to give us his international record. Sure, lets talk about the time he scored the 7th and 8th goals in an 8-1 win against Estonia and how that translates to his United form, and painfully ignore the two seasons worth of games we have of him actually playing for Manchester United to judge him on.

God forbid some people would change their opinion of a player after watching him stumble around in a circle for 10 games straight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

adox wrote: »
    On Fred Im`reserving judgement as hes only been there a season but for me he had a really poor first season.

He actually stood out at certain times because he has lots of energy, covers the ground well and likes to put his foot in. I think those attributes stood out because of the utter lack of it early all over the pitch.

Hes made some bad mistakes but his passing and control have left a lot to be desired and he seems to utterly panic when within 30 yards of goal.

Is agree with this. I feel for Fred in that he joined a squad that was on the up and the entire team has a miserable season. Wasn’t even a few weeks into the season and Pogba was publicly undermining Jose , it can’t of been easy to help him settle in. As you said, there were glimpses of a solid player at times from him.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Every time somebody criticises Romelu Lukaku there's always somebody on hand to give us his international record. Sure, lets talk about the time he scored the 7th and 8th goals in an 8-1 win against Estonia and how that translates to his United form, and painfully ignore the two seasons worth of games we have of him actually playing for Manchester United to judge him on.

God forbid some people would change their opinion of a player after watching him stumble around in a circle for 10 games straight.

Alright then let's take his first season. 27 goals in 51 games. Could've, maybe should've been more.

Last year went backwards of course, but he was also off the bench for much of the second half. He had a run of games in which he was excellent, possibly got injured, and was then dropped again while Rashford kept blasting shots high and wide. Had he continued às our main striker he'd have scored more.

He's also not had a break in 3 seasons now. There's definitely a place for him in the squad, it's very hard to get someone who is as capable of scoring as he is, and its taking a huge gamble on Rashford who has not demonstrated that he should be the main forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

It would help if you had read the other posts and you would have seen that I didn't even bring Griezmann into the conversation. A poster tried to use Antoine Greizmann's international record as evidence for how good Lukaku is for United and I pointed out how that doesn't prove anything.

In fairness I nearly did say something similar to Beno, that’s why I asked what your criteria is for judging a player. It seems like you are shifting what’s fair to point out to suit how you feel about the player.. I cleared up that point, that scoring against weaker teams is a positive, not the negative some keep trying to suggest.

I used Griezmann to back this up that not all top strikers score loads of goals against minnows. He plays for a top international team who equally play poor teams and he doesn’t clean up. Lukaku is a different kind of player but you are more likely to get more goals from him and maybe more from Griezmann in other areas.

His good seasons with Everton and United (when functioning) are the strongest evidence that some people are wrong about his quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hope at least Rojo is leaving. Villa are now set to sign Engels a 4th CB signed now (plus Chester already there). No way Tuanzebe is going back there. Hopefully he can get games here if we clear out the clutter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

I wouldn't even be Lukakus biggest fan and I really hope I'm wrong, but selling him and having Rashford as our main striker is going to end up being an awful decision imo.

Okay can we talk about his premier league record ? You seem to believe goals scored for the national team are meaningless.

Can we talk about his decent first season where he scored 27 goals ?

The conversation has to be sbout more than goals. We have to ask does he bring enough to the team beyond that, does he fit what Ole wants his team to do or are his qualities enough to make Ole set up his team to get the best from him?

Lewandowski fits Bayern because of more than his goals, Pep has used Sterling and Aguero to suit his needs and lead City's style of play so they bring more than goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

https://mobile.twitter.com/9NewsPerth/status/1149590235979771905?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app

Someone from the club (not a player) has been taken to hospital in Australia. Apparently a suspected overdose. Hopefully whoever it is is fine and it’s something as simple as taking a little too much medication.

It kind of reminds me of Robbie Keane near the end of his Irish career

He was our best goal scorer and was top scorer in qualification

People said ah sure he only scores against weak teams

People wanted him gone and Long to come in as he was young and had pace

That turned out well

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement