Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

^I'd appreciate you PM Wilson before using my likeness in your post

You mentioned Wilson awhile ago in a post, that you would consult him on transfers. I thought it was a joke about being ITK with somebody on the inside of the club. I was like "who is Wilson, are they a scout or on some transfer comittee in the club" . .

giphy.gif

J. Marston wrote: »
    Us and Arsenal next season as City, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and fúck it, even Leicester look on...

the-mansion-family4.png

Ive backed Leicster for top 6 and top 4 so go Leicester :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

J. Marston wrote: »
    Us and Arsenal next season as City, Liverpool, Spurs, Chelsea and fúck it, even Leicester look on...

the-mansion-family4.png

I'm can't understand why people think that transfer banned Chelsea minus Hazard (leaving them with nobody to score goals) and with a manager even less experienced than ours are going to be in a bracket above Utd and Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Headshot wrote: »
    You should get your lawyer involved in this. Get them to send a Cease and Desist letter

I'm sure it's been reported to the relevant authorities already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

Drumpot wrote: »
    You mentioned Wilson awhile ago in a post, that you would consult him on transfers. I thought it was a joke about being ITK with somebody on the inside of the club. I was like "who is Wilson, are they a scout or on some transfer comittee in the club" . .

giphy.gif

He was T Hanks volleyball companion in Castaway.

• Advertisement

• I'm sure it's been reported to the relevant authorities already.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Did any of them get put into a position at that age to be first choice striker at a huge club that lacks goals from elsewhere

Were any of them at that age one of the highest paid strikers in the world

Think it's more people trying to put Rashford down as this nothing player because he went off the boil towards the end of last season. The whole team turned sour and he had just put in a serious stint of games. Played a lot in the world cup too. He's one of the quickest players I've seen and has good technique with ever improving finishing and a terrific engine. I think he'll make a fine striker and am not overly worried about him being first choice.

I'm can't understand why people think that transfer banned Chelsea minus Hazard (leaving them with nobody to score goals) and with a manager even less experienced than ours are going to be in a bracket above Utd and Arsenal.

Much more a feel of unkown, then feeling of dread but I do think they will go backwards from last season most likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Why are people talking about Leicester? I'm waaay more worried about Wolves tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

actually think the final top 4 spot is well up for grabs for anyone with United, arsenal, chelsea, wolves and leicster all realistic contenders for it as i dont think much between any of them a minute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

giphy.gif

meh the previous gif was better

Wolves haven't made any signings, they will still have Patricio in goals next season, with near certainty they won't perform as well via the top 6 as last season. And they struggled to break teams down when they sat back against them, which will happen more this season. If they make some signings I'd be more worried about them then I am currently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Wolves haven't made any signings, they will still have Patricio in goals next season, with near certainty they won't perform as well via the top 6 as last season. And they struggled to break teams down when they sat back against them, which will happen more this season. If they make some signings I'd be more worried about them then I am currently

Hanksjaguar may have a point. I forgot they have yet to sign anyone :pac:

They left it late last year iirc. 90% sure they will strengthen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Liam O wrote: »
    Did any of them get put into a position at that age to be first choice striker at a huge club that lacks goals from elsewhere

Were any of them at that age one of the highest paid strikers in the world

Think it's more people trying to put Rashford down as this nothing player because he went off the boil towards the end of last season. The whole team turned sour and he had just put in a serious stint of games. Played a lot in the world cup too. He's one of the quickest players I've seen and has good technique with ever improving finishing and a terrific engine. I think he'll make a fine striker and am not overly worried about him being first choice.

Who is trying to put Rashford down as a nothing player it seems everyone is worried about selling Lukaku and relying on him to step up and score a lot of goals

I hope he turns into a world class striker and he may well do but the fact is we are selling a proven goalscorer and leaving someone who scored 10 goals last season be our first choice and pray he turns into the player we want him too which for a club the size of United is ridiculous

• Headshot wrote: »
    meh the previous gif was better

Restored on request

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

giphy.gif

tbh I can picture you giving Pogba that look lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Who is trying to put Rashford down as a nothing player it seems everyone is worried about selling Lukaku and relying on him to step up and score a lot of goals

I hope he turns into a world class striker and he may well do but the fact is we are selling a proven goalscorer and leaving someone who scored 10 goals last season be our first choice and pray he turns into the player we want him too which for a club the size of United is ridiculous

I believe this was the one that lead to him being defended.

Look I'm not saying he's going to be great, I just wouldn't mind a player who gives everything for the jersey and has a lot of the required skills that you want from a striker to be given a chance. If that means cashing in on a 70m striker not happy to sit on the bench and bring in a proven 2nd choice option like Ben Yedder, I can live with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Liam O wrote: »

I believe this was the one that lead to him being defended.

Look I'm not saying he's going to be great, I just wouldn't mind a player who gives everything for the jersey and has a lot of the required skills that you want from a striker to be given a chance. If that means cashing in on a 70m striker not happy to sit on the bench and bring in a proven 2nd choice option like Ben Yedder, I can live with that.

I don't believe Ben Yedder will be happy to be second choice unless he is coming for the money

Who realistically do you think we can sign that is good enough to play for United and be happy to be a backup striker

Rashford may turn out to be a great striker but right now he is not and no good striker is going to sign to be a backup to him

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Ok the McTominay interview again, loved how he spoke about James and AWB being delighted to sign and spoke what it means for a United fan to play for the club they've supported.

Nice touch to add that now however they need to grab the chances rather than sit back and think they've already made it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Again, this isnt an exact like for like comparison, but it is an interesting statistic. I remember RVP being excellent, world class nearly the season we won the league. In terms of simple goal and assist stats this is what he had:

RVP - 2012/13 - Goals 26 , Assists 15
    Lukaku - 2016/17 - Goals 25 , Assists 6

RVP was on a league winning team that only finished second the season before. lukaku was playing for Everton. Its also interesting to see how poorly RVP did the next season under Moyes when United was a basket case , very comparable to now. RVP was apparantly "injured" for alot the season, we all know it was more then that. But players, even top players, lose form/drive at good teams who suffer from a toxic culture. (Pogba, Sanchez )

Now RVP is a vastly superior forward IMO, but that impressive season in 2016/17 counts for something when trying to really ask ourselves how good is Lukaku. I dont think hes as good as RVP or the very best strikers in the league, but I think hes no more then one tier below and I think thats probably our level right now. The question for me is what is our strategy ? Why are we letting him go ? Is the new strategy youth or less proven players because I dont know are we going to buy even a forward as good as Lukaku. If we dont, we are putting all our eggs in the Rashford basket.

I think this more addresses my point on Lukaku, that the team isnt setup to help utilize his strengths and maybe hes not going to work under whatever plans Ole has in mind. Maybe Lukaku is not a good long term forward to build the team around, but I dont think selling him quite yet is a positive. There are other areas or players I would rather see offloaded before him.

I think hes a better player then what we have gotten from him, how much better is up for debate and will probably only be settled when he moves on and we see how he reacts in a different environment or if he somehow starts to get over 1/2 goals per game.

I would like to see him do more and add to his game. He has the physique of Drogba so he should have the tools to hold the ball up more. Think he did it well in a couple of games (PSG ? am i remembering that right?) where he held it up well and offloaded to wingers on the break. More of that would be great, maybe if the team starts playing like a team he will start to thrive at that element ? Maybe he needs to be part of functioning squad to play well and improve ?

If he wants to leave, then these discussions are wasted I suppose.

Thanks for the gif.
    In his best season for united he got 26 league goals in 37 games.

I was trying to address that point, that he scored less for United and had not reached the stated tally with any side. My next reply was to say I was talking about United as you picked up and referenced his best season with Everton. Hope that is clearer now.

I think his best use is how Everton used him, which is not the best way United should set up under Ole. If he is a sub then the club could be better off getting funds in to buy other players who can influence the team beyond finishing.

Re Drogba, he is a good comparison. I want to be careful not to fall into the idea players of certain race should be known for the physical qualities. Lukaku has the height of Drogba but he is not that close to him in attributes imo. Drogba was lean, fit, strong and mobile. Much more like Zlatan than Lukaku in mske up. The fact he played to 40 is a sign of that comparison.

Drogba was about more than goals and had a great influence on how the team functioned and it was worth playing to his strengths as they could help bring other players into the game (ground, air, running out wide or holding the ball up) or set him up with chances to isolate defenders. Since we keep focusing on stats, his assist record in the league for Chelsea was the same as Hazard for example (54) and over 70 in all comps. Lukaku does bring others into the game but not in the variety of ways Drogba did, (Lukaku has a decent assist record in the 30s in the league). If we look at Goals, Drogba was up and down but he scored in vital games on a regular basis.

Re RVP and strategy, sadly a major part of where United are now is having players below that tier. On strategy, also sadly, him leaving will be linked to finance as much as quality. In team strategy I think within the squad he is viewed as second choice and there is a chance to get a player in who will have a bigger role in the first 11 which may be the best thing to do in the medium term (if club was well run that sale would not need to happen first) I think signing a forward option in his place will be important in the short term if he leaves but I am not convinced that will be done so we could well be looking at his sale as bad in the short term if we keep focusing on goal stats.

• Advertisement

giphy.gif

Yeh, I sort of got the joke once I realized Wilson wasnt a member of the United staff!!! Only took me a couple of days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

^I'd appreciate you PM Wilson before using my likeness in your post

He is clearly talking about former British prime minister Harold Wilson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I've given my opinion on Lukaku before but I'll say this, I wish people would hold him to the same criteria or give him the same excuses as the players around him.

I've given my opinion on Lukaku before but I'll say this, I wish people would hold him to the same criteria or give him the same excuses as the players around him.

I think most of the squad are better then they show at united. We get glimpses of how good they can be in some games.

I go back to Chelsea’s league winning squad that twice went from winning the league to much lower standards under Jose and Conte. The quality was always in those squads but the application, drive and team pulling in the same direction made massive difference , 1st to mid table level difference.

If ole can even get the existing squad to pull in the same direction for each other and we start strong, this could be a surprisingly good season.

Or

I have posted my opinion on Lukaku, it would be good if people held him to the same high standards they hold others or refuse to accept poor performances and fitness.

I don't actually think that. I actually think the Lukaku converstion is well balanced amongst posters who are against a sale, those who are okay with it and those in the middle.

It's a funny one.

If Lukaku wants to stay, can contribute and is worth his big salary in terms of the managers plan for the squad then happy to see him stay.

I like Lukaku, but find it somewhat gas the amount of fans who've took up arms in his defence, considering the amount of critics posting about him during the season. It's a classic thing in football, similar thing happened with Fellaini.

A lot of fans would whinge about him and shrug off goal stats, arguing that he doesn't do enough in other areas or that stats can be deceiving. Then when the idea of moving him on comes around the argument is that he's a true goalscorer.

I suppose it's one of those things that unless a suitable replacement is brought in first fans don't want him gone. But I'd say if he does stick around it won't be long until some will roll out complaining about him again saying we should have sold him.

I just hope my boy Jones has people fighting to keep him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

So yet another week down, and it seems like all we've to improve the squad is to ask Newcastle how much they want for Longstaff.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    It's a funny one.

If Lukaku wants to stay, can contribute and is worth his big salary in terms of the managers plan for the squad then happy to see him stay.

I like Lukaku, but find it somewhat gas the amount of fans who've took up arms in his defence, considering the amount of critics posting about him during the season. It's a classic thing in football, similar thing happened with Fellaini.

A lot of fans would whinge about him and shrug off goal stats, arguing that he doesn't do enough in other areas or that stats can be deceiving. Then when the idea of moving him on comes around the argument is that he's a true goalscorer.

I suppose it's one of those things that unless a suitable replacement is brought in first fans don't want him gone. But I'd say if he does stick around it won't be long until some will roll out complaining about him again saying we should have sold him.

I just hope my boy Jones has people fighting to keep him.

I think alot of people are relatively speaking more neutral positive/negative on Lukaku. Its getting rid of him with no comparable or quality replacement thats the biggest concern.

I dont doubt Rashfords potential, I just doubt if hes ready to lead the line and be our first choice striker. Most Young players are notoriously inconsistent and they need to be able to be taken out of the firing line if their form dips. Rashford is not Mbappe, but Rashford is equally not on a side thats generally been performing to a high standard which measn we cant afford him to not be on form in less then 8/10 games like you would want from a more experienced striker.

In the absence of consistency you need an alternative (like Son is a great alternative for spurs when Kane is out). In fact if we were signing Son I would be ok with Lukaku moving. Different kind of forwards but I really like Son. Why arent we linked with him ? I suppose this isn't football manager world and nobody likes negotiating with Levy.

I think alot of people are relatively speaking more neutral positive/negative on Lukaku. Its getting rid of him with no comparable or quality replacement thats the biggest concern.

I dont doubt Rashfords potential, I just doubt if hes ready to lead the line and be our first choice striker. Most Young players are notoriously inconsistent and they need to be able to be taken out of the firing line if their form dips. Rashford is not Mbappe, but Rashford is equally not on a side thats generally been performing to a high standard which measn we cant afford him to not be on form in less then 8/10 games like you would want from a more experienced striker.

In the absence of consistency you need an alternative (like Son is a great alternative for spurs when Kane is out). In fact if we were signing Son I would be ok with Lukaku moving. Different kind of forwards but I really like Son. Why arent we linked with him ? I suppose this isn't football manager world and nobody likes negotiating with Levy.

Oh I completely understand that.

If Lukaku goes we need to get someone in. But if we're looking at a backup striker he won't be at Lukaku's level or price. I think some people would need to adjust their expectations to who would be brought in.

The thing with Lukaku is if we sold him and reports of Rashford leading the line are true then we would definitely be looking at a backup, and I can't see us going after a player of Lukaku's price and salary to fill that role. Makes no sense.

I'd personally be happy with Rashford given the chance to lead the line, Sanchez as an option, a new backup player, and Greenwood as an option.

Also I get people complaining about selling him before we get a replacement but it's part of the sport really. Most wait until they sell a big player before replacing them, rather than risk the sale falling through and being stuck with a big player on big wages and a new player just arriving.

• Advertisement

Link to a new article from the BBC (Simon Stone) as he follows the team on tour...

Manchester United: Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's big issues to tackle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Joachim Andersen gone to Lyon for €30m

Joachim Andersen gone to Lyon for €30m

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

We will basically have the same squad from last year, which will mean we will struggle big time, not gonna be a fun season for us united fans ☹️

Sawduck wrote: »
    We will basically have the same squad from last year, which will mean we will struggle big time, not gonna be a fun season for us united fans ☹️

While the players need to change over time and some immediate changes were needed we should not ignore how bad the coaching of the team was. How behind on fitness they were. How bad the atmosphere and motivation was for a high level team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,281 ✭✭✭limnam

DM_7 wrote: »
    While the players need to change over time and some immediate changes were needed we should not ignore how bad the coaching of the team was. How behind on fitness they were. How bad the atmosphere and motivation was for a high level team.

Top pro's playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world were not fit?

Horse.

These lads have been coached by some of them most successful managers in the world and they were utter sh|te. But it was bad coaching?

wtf is going on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Stone saying that Lukaku is now set to stay.

I stand by my belief that I don’t think any striker does well for us right now. We need more creativity. If a proper RW and another creative mid we’re feeding balls in to Lukaku, he’d look better stats wise.

Lord TSC wrote: »

I stand by my belief that I don’t think any striker does well for us right now. We need more creativity. If a proper RW and another creative mid we’re feeding balls in to Lukaku, he’d look better stats wise.

Only because they can't afford to take him in full.

Do you really want it hanging around when it doesn't want to be there?

limnam wrote: »

Horse.

These lads have been coached by some of them most successful managers in the world and they were utter sh|te. But it was bad coaching?

wtf is going on.

Well it's not overly ridiculous to think there was a poor atmosphere in the team and more work on fitness and bonding is needed.

Wouldn't go as far as saying they were coached terribly but majority of the players have played and won trophies at the highest level. So players ability can't be seen as a complete excuse for me.

Anyway it's good to hear the lads have been focusing on fitness and team bonding, Scott's comments showed that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Lord TSC wrote: »

Still the same line that Inter need to sell first if they’re to get the money together no?

Well it's not overly ridiculous to think there was a poor atmosphere in the team and more work on fitness and bonding is needed.

Wouldn't go as far as saying they were coached terribly but majority of the players have played and won trophies at the highest level. So players ability can't be seen as a complete excuse for me.

Anyway it's good to hear the lads have been focusing on fitness and team bonding, Scott's comments showed that.

poor atmosphere under moyes then lvg and jose.

Two of them managers that managed most of them are the most decorated in the business. :confused:

Wayne Rooney recently said LVG was the best coach he ever worked with...

Badly coached....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Chelsea got £65m for Morata

Lukaku is worth more than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/12/west-ham-eintracht-frankfurt-sebastien-haller-manchester-united-maxi-gomez

Linked with Haller who I know nothing about brings the grand total of players Man Utd have been linked with in the transfer window to 638,432

Horse.

wtf is going on.

Here we go, I make a post about issues with players not the only issue (player problems exist never said otherwise) and you arrive with the normal it's the players fault.

Jose and his style was not good enough and needed to be revised, he failed to progress, he was once an innovative coach who saw a way to play that would bring success but he stagnated. That is my opinion, it is a subjective topic based on what I have seen on the pitch across Europe. I expect the reply will be 'pah success in the past means he is still a great coach' does not really counter it though.

The fitness problem was clear, the failures of guys like Shaw and Lukaku happened under previous management's watch but I accept those players should take the bulk of the blame.

Outside that yes players like Rashford, Pogba, Lingard, Young, Fred, Mata, Matic, Lindelof etc clearly know how to look after themselves, are professional in their approach but the team reaching the level of fitness required is the managements responsibility. We saw how they were not fit enough as a team, as soon as they were asked to pick up the running they started to get injured. The interim now permanent manager TOLD us they were not fit enough, TOLD us they would have to be brought up on fitness before the new season.

I will link back to coaching, how Ajax played last season for example did not just happen because the players were professional. It takes direction and coaching to attain that. United were clearly coached to be a more restrained side, to sit back, to counter attack. Maybe they were well coached in that style, I say it was poor coaching as it was not progressive enough to take on the best sides over a season. I think it actively contributed in players becoming disengaged.

In short players and management share the blame for the mess last season. More than individual players changing is required and United need to be well coached. It is not clear if Ole can do that btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Ninthlife wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jul/12/west-ham-eintracht-frankfurt-sebastien-haller-manchester-united-maxi-gomez

Linked with Haller who I know nothing about brings the grand total of players Man Utd have been linked with in the transfer window to 638,432

We were linked with him Back at the start of june

Two of them managers that managed most of them are the most decorated in the business. :confused:

Badly coached....

United were not badly coached under Van Gaal.

Badly coached....

Why are you caught up on "badly coached"? I didn't even say that in my post and said in fact I wouldn't go that far.

My point was regarding the idea that we need to improve overall fitness, chemistry and mentality. I can't tell what your opinion on the atmosphere/team chemistry even is? Do you think there was the right mentality? The right spirit? Work rate?

You go on about how decorated previous managers are, but we've plenty of well decorated players in the squad who have come and gone during that period and it hasn't worked out.

Your point seemed to think fitness and atmosphere haven't been an issue as they're pro players as you said. And also coaching hasn't been a problem. I don't quite understand.

So what has been the problem, and why do you think none of the other things have been or need to be looked at? Or do you think they have to be addressed?

United were not badly coached under Van Gaal.

Never said they were...

Why are you caught up on "badly coached"? I didn't even say that in my post and said in fact I wouldn't go that far.

I didn't say you did, you replied to a post of mine replying to someone else....

Now you think I think you said it....

My point was regarding the idea that we need to improve overall fitness, chemistry and mentality. I can't tell what your opinion on the atmosphere/team chemistry even is? Do you think there was the right mentality? The right spirit? Work rate?

I don't give a fck what's put out on you tube of lads having the craic during thier holidays.

I'll give you my opinion of the craic they had over there after playing Chelsea.

You go on about how decorated previous managers are, but we've plenty of well decorated players in the squad who have come and gone during that period and it hasn't worked out.

Something "not working out" doesn't mean it was wrong or bad.

Someone on 300k a week not turning up for work a _lot_ _is_ wrong.

Your point seemed to think fitness and atmosphere haven't been an issue as they're pro players as you said. And also coaching hasn't been a problem. I don't quite understand.

What really goes on most of us haven't a clue about.

Maybe it was moyes banning the chips....

Maybe it was lvg sending youtube clicks late at night...

Maybe it was Jose fcking them under a bus.

I cannot tell you why a profesional footballer on 300k a week doesn't turn up to work.

I know I don't always get on with my boss, worked with plenty of morons.

But you still have to turn up, you're a pro. A top pro at a top club.

So what has been the problem, and why do you think none of the other things have been or need to be looked at? Or do you think they have to be addressed?

Can you be a bit more specific, which specific problem?

Pre madonna's not wanting to play?
    players getting the hump over menu changes?

Never said they were...

Did anyone? Why mention it?

Did anyone? Why mention it?

You said they were badly coached.

I assumed since they've shown elements of last year pretty much every year since SAF you didn't specically mean jose badly coached them...right?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement