Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

limnam wrote: »

Badly coached....

Eden Hazzard said he’d love to work with Jose again and that he’s the best coach he ever worked with.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/eden-hazard-on-his-biggest-regret-and-why-he-wants-to-work-with-jose-mourinho-again-37416269.html

What exactly do people mean “badly coached” or “unfit”? Why do they think the squad was this way? Nobody has hinted that Jose was a bad coach, a manager who falls out with players, but there’s never been anything about him being a bad coach.

He’s one of the top coaches in the world. Not liking his style of football or how he causes So much drama doesn’t make him a busted flush. His record isn’t matched by many coaches in the world and he’s been our best coach on paper since SAF left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Drumpot wrote: »
    Eden Hazzard said he’d love to work with Jose again and that he’s the best coach he ever worked with.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/eden-hazard-on-his-biggest-regret-and-why-he-wants-to-work-with-jose-mourinho-again-37416269.html

What exactly do people mean “badly coached” or “unfit”? Why do they think the squad was this way? Nobody has hinted that Jose was a bad coach, a manager who falls out with players, but there’s never been anything about him being a bad coach.

He’s one of the top coaches in the world. Not liking his style of football or how he causes So much drama doesn’t make him a busted flush. His record isn’t matched by many coaches in the world and he’s been our best coach on paper since SAF left.

Some of the greatest players to play the game adored jose, broke down crying when he left clubs.

meanwhile, we get someone eating too many donoughts because he shouted at them....bad bad man...making people unfit.!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

You said they were badly coached.

I assumed since they've shown elements of last year pretty much every year since SAF you didn't specically mean jose badly coached them...right?

Yep I was talking about Jose, that should be obvious from my replies to you when I talked about Jose and said United were not badly coached under Van Gaal.

What players are 'they' that have showed the same problems under the three managers (Mata, Young, Smalling, Jones, De Gea, Lingard, Valencia). What are those problems? Something more than 300k a week and lazy would be good.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Yep I was talking about Jose, that should be obvious from my replies to you when I talked about Jose and said United were not badly coached under Van Gaal.

What players are 'they' that have showed the same problems under the three managers (Mata, Young, Smalling, Jones, De Gea, Lingard, Valencia). What are those problems? Something more than 300k a week and lazy would be good.

What do you mean badly coached?

He coached them to a Europa league , league cup, 2nd position in the league and a fa cup final and in year 3 he just became a bad coach? Or do you think he was always a bad coach for united, if so why?

On paper Pogba is the best player United have since Ronaldo left.

Are you willing to read points like ones already posted? Ole said they were not fit enough, players got injured when they had to run harder, they were outran in every champions league game under Jose last season, they were one of the weakest teams in running last season under Jose.

That running is linked to fitness (which is part of coaching) and preferred style of play.

On coaching, we have been over this many times, I have already posted some reasons today that indicate how his style and ideas were failing. Re posters not liking his style, that was not even suggested. I like what Jose did in the mid 2000's to early 2010s and that it worked for him, I supported him attempting to do it with United. But it failed overall as teams like City and Liverpool who are clearly well coached burst through the league. United repeatedly struggled to break teams down while other clubs broke records.

For comparison, look at how Ajax advanced under a progressive coach while United regressed under their manager from the UEFA cup final. Jose is a genius and if he spots a way to evolve his ideas he will be a leading, inspirational coach but he did not do that at United.

Seeing the below now
    What do you mean badly coached?

He coached them to a Europa league , league cup, 2nd position in the league and a fa cup final and in year 3 he just became a bad coach? Or do you think he was always a bad coach for united, if so why?

Here is what I posted earlier

Jose and his style was not good enough and needed to be revised, he failed to progress, he was once an innovative coach who saw a way to play that would bring success but he stagnated. That is my opinion, it is a subjective topic based on what I have seen on the pitch across Europe. I expect the reply will be 'pah success in the past means he is still a great coach' does not really counter it though.

I will link back to coaching, how Ajax played last season for example did not just happen because the players were professional. It takes direction and coaching to attain that. United were clearly coached to be a more restrained side, to sit back, to counter attack. Maybe they were well coached in that style, I say it was poor coaching as it was not progressive enough to take on the best sides over a season. I think it actively contributed in players becoming disengaged.

In short players and management share the blame for the mess last season. More than individual players changing is required and United need to be well coached. It is not clear if Ole can do that btw.

I didn't specificlly a given player as "they".

3 managers were unable to apparently "play the united way" get "united" to perform...some players were there for 1/2/3 of them regardless it's deemed only one manager coached them bad apparently...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Honest opinion folks. With 4 weeks left in the transfer window. Does anyone think we will sign any other players and if so whom. I think it will just be Longstaff on deadline day for around 30 million.

Are you willing to read points like ones already posted? Ole said they were not fit enough, players got injured when they had to run harder, they were outran in every champions league game under Jose last season, they were one of the weakest teams in running last season under Jose.

Ole said every-time Pogba is on the pitch he works hard.

Not true.

Managers say things that are not true all the time.

That running is linked to fitness (which is part of coaching) and preferred style of play.

On coaching, we have been over this many times, I have already posted some reasons today that indicate how his style and ideas were failing. Re posters not liking his style, that was not even suggested. I like what Jose did in the mid 2000's to early 2010s and that it worked for him, I supported him attempting to do it with United. But it failed overall as teams like City and Liverpool who are clearly well coached burst through the league. United repeatedly struggled to break teams down while other clubs broke records.

For comparison, look at how Ajax advanced under a progressive coach while United regressed under their manager from the UEFA cup final. Jose is a genius and if he spots a way to evolve his ideas he will be a leading, inspirational coach but he did not do that at United.

Seeing the below now

Here is what I posted earlier

So you think he’s a bad coach because:

- ole said the teams fitness was poor
    - Ajax have progressed and United regressed since Europa league cup
    - they were one of the weakest teams in running last season
    - Jose’s style is not good enough which you think is not progressive

Is that a fair summary of your views on Jose? I don’t want to misrepresent what you say before I respond.

• Advertisement

Ole said every-time Pogba is on the pitch he works hard.

Not true.

Managers say things that are not true all the time.

Subjective about his work rate.

Show some evidence the team were fit enough.

So you think Jose coached them to be unfit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Show some evidence they weren't fit enough.

yabadabado wrote: »

He knew before he asked it was a nonsensical question.

Or at least I hope so.

One of the biggest teams in the world.

Spending millions on sprts psycology, dietans etc all the best and brightest.

Yet he coached them to be unfit.

He made pogba/martial swan around the place doing fck all..

He really was the special one.

Lol, I already tried to have a discussion and got nowhere. That is why I asked a specific question of a poster who inevitably responds with 'big pro team' and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I wouldn't say it's about them not being fit enough to play football, but rather not being fit enough to play the style Ole wants for a long period time.

Ole himself and I believe a few others mentioned the different fitness needs for the different styles.

Players have talked already about having extensive workouts at higher levels than they're used to to prepare.

He has the pre season now to prepare them so it won't be an excuse next year but I don't get why people get caught up on the idea that the fitness level isn't where the current coaches want or need it to be.

People are taking it as a bit of a dig at Jose or something. It's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Saw an interview with Pedro talking about how he's impressed with Lampard. Speaking about how he's implementing a high-pressing game, huge amounts of fitness work, everything is about quick transitions to attack.

Anyone from our squad talked about what pre-season is like?

Its not beyond belief we were fit enough to play Joses system but not Oles is it?

Or what was just said above :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

billyhead wrote: »
    Honest opinion folks. With 4 weeks left in the transfer window. Does anyone think we will sign any other players and if so whom. I think it will just be Longstaff on deadline day for around 30 million.

I’d put money on a CB (likely Maguire) and a CM (possibly Fernandes).

If Pogba goes, I think we sign at least one if not two additional CMs to replace him.

If Lukaku goes, Ben Yeddar joins.

I don’t think we will sign Longstaff. That 50m valuation is a “**** off” one, designed to make us go away. I’d say we will wait and sign him for free next summer when Newcastle get relegated (think I saw today he only has a year left on his contact).

J. Marston wrote: »

They're having the craic.

Saw an interview with Pedro talking about how he's impressed with Lampard. Speaking about how he's implementing a high-pressing game, huge amounts of fitness work, everything is about quick transitions to attack.

Yeah McTominay had a good interview. Said first week of fitness training was a workout some of the lads never experienced before.

Talked about how Ole sat them down drilling in what it's meant to be to be a United player, his ambition to add more goals to his game, said doesn't matter if he's a number 6 or 8 everyone needs to contribute, and about the new lads having the right mentality now and not thinking they've made it, and about getting the right chemistry and team spirit now to prove people wrong.

As you'd expect general positive stuff but when Scott speaks it's hard not to believe him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

billyhead wrote: »

I reckon we sign 2 more...

God knows who though..

Longstaff is contracted until 2022,he signed a new deal around the time he broke into the Newcastle team.

So you think he’s a bad coach because:

- ole said the teams fitness was poor
    - Ajax have progressed and United regressed since Europa league cup
    - they were one of the weakest teams in running last season
    - Jose’s style is not good enough which you think is not progressive

Is that a fair summary of your views on Jose? I don’t want to misrepresent what you say before I respond.

You left out the part where I said he is a genius and capable of being one of the best and most inspirational managers. To add to that, I was a huge supporter of him until he went volatile and lost all ability to bring people together behind him. We will never know if his style could have yielded the points needed, with some more player change, to catch teams with a more attacking approach. I was sad for him and wish it worked out differant.

Re coaching, other things like United clear lack of pressing, 6th worse with teams like Brighton, Wolves and Burnley (teams who sit deep) through November for sprints while City and Liverpool were at the top point further to how his style was a)differant to the best sides and b)not suited to control of games.

Under Jose United switched to a more zonal defensive set up than a man for man set up that teams pressing up the pitch favour.

In attack the lack of connection between the team, no real progression between the lines and too reliant on an individual piece of skill rather than team play or patterns of play limited chance creation.

I could go on but won't - You can tell me how wrong about everything I am now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

They're having the craic.

That's the backroom staff

Ole stressing nationality has nothing to do with players they're chasing, after talk of us looking for English only.

Said it's to do with attributes suited to the style he wants. Speed was one mentioned. Clearly see that with AWB and James. Two flyers. Seems he wants high pace football, may take some time but would be good as a spectator!

Also Ben Yedders speed on the ball and dribbling certainly suits his vision. Would love it to happen but I'm becoming sceptical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Ole stressing nationality has nothing to do with players they're chasing, after talk of us looking for English only.

That's great to hear genuinely worried we were gonna pigeon hole ourselves! Trying to get the positivity up

It would be nuts to be only chasing English or home grown players .Thank **** its not a policy.

Hopefully there are 3 more major signings, a CB and 2 midfielders. Buy the best available, who fits the style/plan the club want .

His full quote was
    “It doesn’t matter if they are English, Norwegian, French, Brazilian. You just want good players and good people. Quality and speed, of course, is a big thing in football nowadays. The more x-factors you have in a team, the better you are.”

He's mentioned a few times wanting players that can lift fans off the seats as he believes they win the crowds over. Speed and comfort on the ball seem to be his priorities. Hope the club follows his demands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I think if Pogba was to be sold we’d have heard something concrete by now. It’d be a huge transfer that would take time to organise and publicise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yeah McTominay had a good interview. Said first week of fitness training was a workout some of the lads never experienced before.

Talked about how Ole sat them down drilling in what it's meant to be to be a United player, his ambition to add more goals to his game, said doesn't matter if he's a number 6 or 8 everyone needs to contribute, and about the new lads having the right mentality now and not thinking they've made it, and about getting the right chemistry and team spirit now to prove people wrong.

As you'd expect general positive stuff but when Scott speaks it's hard not to believe him.

Read that and just now I saw this on Redcafe...

https://twitter.com/nocontextfooty/status/1149752238442786816?s=21

I'm sure it's a warm down/up but still, it made me laugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

I think pogba should go as he's been useless and will undermine the manager in the dressing room

Read that and just now I saw this on Redcafe...

https://twitter.com/nocontextfooty/status/1149752238442786816?s=21

I'm sure it's a warm down/up but still, it made me laugh.

Oh lord. I know it's a joke but don't give them more ammunition haha

votecounts wrote: »
    I think pogba should go as he's been useless and will undermine the manager in the dressing room

With Pogba it remains to be seen. In the right environment he receives loads of praise for being a leader but I'm not sure if it's right at United at the moment as I think he needs other older leaders beside him.

On the manager, I'm holding out hope since Ole was his manager at youth/reserve level and they appear to have a good relationship.

This year will be defining on who steps up to be a leader in that team and I think with all we're hearing McTominay sees an opportunity in the middle of the park. I'm hopeful he grabs it. Lindelof at the back is promising too.

You left out the part where I said he is a genius and capable of being one of the best and most inspirational managers. To add to that, I was a huge supporter of him until he went volatile and lost all ability to bring people together behind him. We will never know if his style could have yielded the points needed, with some more player change, to catch teams with a more attacking approach. I was sad for him and wish it worked out differant.

Re coaching, other things like United clear lack of pressing, 6th worse with teams like Brighton, Wolves and Burnley (teams who sit deep) through November for sprints while City and Liverpool were at the top point further to how his style was a)differant to the best sides and b)not suited to control of games.

Under Jose United switched to a more zonal defensive set up than a man for man set up that teams pressing up the pitch favour.

In attack the lack of connection between the team, no real progression between the lines and too reliant on an individual piece of skill rather than team play or patterns of play limited chance creation.

I could go on but won't - You can tell me how wrong about everything I am now!

To be honest, I don’t believe there is an awful lot to discuss here that will End with us laughing about the good old days, while having tea and krumpets . I think I understand why you think these things but I respectfully find them less then definitive. I’ve said what I think of Jose here before so there’s no need for me to repeat it. ... Wouid you like a Krumpet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

With Pogba it remains to be seen. In the right environment he receives loads of praise for being a leader but I'm not sure if it's right at United at the moment as I think he needs other older leaders beside him.

On the manager, I'm holding out hope since Ole was his manager at youth/reserve level and they appear to have a good relationship.

This year will be defining on who steps up to be a leader in that team and I think with all we're hearing McTominay sees an opportunity in the middle of the park. I'm hopeful he grabs it. Lindelof at the back is promising too.
    I hope you're right but I would not be that confident, this season could be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

votecounts wrote: »

If it gets to the fans that Pogba is undermining Ole he will be pretty sharpishly turned on.. he has not done anything at United and the fans will support Ole in any sort of dispute between the 2. I'm sure he is savvy to know that too and that's one reason why he wants out this summer. A lot of fans disliked Jose so it was easy to play to that. He wont be able to do that to Ole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

It’s gas how quickly people’s opinions on Pogba have spiralled. You’d swear he was some huge negative influence wherever he goes when the truth is probably more towards him being a real positive influence in dressing rooms. Only have to look as far as France and I think I read previously that even in that Juve changing room full of world cup and champions league winners, he had a voice.

I agree Pogba should not have publicly spoke out against Mourinho. However I think Mourinho was equally to blame and fanned the fires so he could hide behind the smoke himself.

Fair enough his agent has said he wants to leave. Can’t blame him when he’s made scapegoat for everything that goes wrong. However, he’s remained thoroughly professional as Olé has said and has worked hard since came back.

I don’t think his attitude is the problem here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Finishing 19 points behind city and not strengthening was unforgivable at the time, finishing 32 points behind city the following season and not strengthening is basically waving a white flag, people running the club don’t see us as a competitive football club at that point.

I have to believe we are going to do some serious business in the next 4 weeks, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out that we are not going to improve by 32 points be sitting on our hands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Pogba hasn't lived up to expectations but to say he's been useless is just idiotic.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/jamesrobsonES/status/1149789202235547648?s=19

Interesting re recruitment: They need to get on with it and sell some players as well if the 5 number is right

"Solskjær is happy to keep him at the club, rather than having to recruit a replacement in a summer when he already intends to add as many as five new players to his squad.

But United would also be happy to secure a profit on a player who is no longer considered an automatic starter."

Stone also with the Lukaku update so must be a briefing again

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1149809409519955969?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

It’s gas how quickly people’s opinions on Pogba have spiralled. You’d swear he was some huge negative influence wherever he goes when the truth is probably more towards him being a real positive influence in dressing rooms. Only have to look as far as France and I think I read previously that even in that Juve changing room full of world cup and champions league winners, he had a voice.

I agree Pogba should not have publicly spoke out against Mourinho. However I think Mourinho was equally to blame and fanned the fires so he could hide behind the smoke himself.

Fair enough his agent has said he wants to leave. Can’t blame him when he’s made scapegoat for everything that goes wrong. However, he’s remained thoroughly professional as Olé has said and has worked hard since came back.

He has in his ****e, he said it himself in an interview.. the only person to blame for fans turning in Pogba is Pogba himself.. he has a big mouth and he should learn to keep it shut. Dunno how the hell you could call his interview at the start of the summer professional. That's not even taking into account the amount of times he undermined his manager last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Trigger wrote: »
    He has in his ****e, he said it himself in an interview.. the only person to blame for fans turning in Pogba is Pogba himself.. he has a big mouth and he should learn to keep it shut. Dunno how the hell you could call his interview at the start of the summer professional. That's not even taking into account the amount of times he undermined his manager last year.

Referencing since his agent said he wants to leave. I’m not going to debate what happened previously as I have a different view than most on Pogba which I’ve stated already.

Can definitely see why people think he should go but I really hope he stays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Haven’t been reading everything or posting in here in months but if the narrative is now that Pogba is a victim of unfair media criticism then it’s a joke. You get exactly what you deserve over a long stretch of time and he gets everything he deserves.
    If he shut his mouth, busted a gut on the pitch, and just toned down his arrogance he’d be adored. If you live in the public eye and you act like you are amazing but don’t show it then you deserve the abuse.

Rant over. Back to enjoying the transfer window from a distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

My two cents on the Lukaku situation - Personally, I think people are deluded if they think we are better off selling him because he was 'poor' last season, he doesn't have a first touch or Ole doesn't fancy him.

A list of goal-scoring strikers better than Lukaku (again, my own opinion): Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappé, Neymar, Suarez, Aubameyang, Lewandowski, Agüero, Griezmann, Kane and Cavani. If I forgot someone obvious, please excuse. How many of these players can United realistically get? The answer, zilch.

Is Marcus Rashord gonna score more goals than Lukaku over the course of a full season? The answer, speaking from what we have seen so far, no.

United need Lukaku. He'll get you goals. Lest we forget, goals are the hardest thing to buy.

GSPfan wrote: »
    Back to enjoying the transfer window from a distance.
    So it’s actually possible to enjoy the transfer window, but only if we go very far away?

PoliticalSameKoodoo-size_restricted.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Jurgen The German

You think pogba was any kind of major influence in the juve dressing room with the likes of Pirlo and Vidal around him? Get outta town.

He may have been loud in the French dressing room but an influence is more than being loud or outspoken, the fact he also had some world class players around him to put in the hard yards couldn't hurt either. Funnily enough just like at juve. Some coincidence.

The only time I can vividly recall him being a brilliant Onfield influence was second half against City the season before last. He was imperious, for that 45 minutes. No bolloxing, no gesticulating, just grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and won us the match.

Other than that, meh, nothing to write home about.

Taking boards as a small sample study, the majority of United fans are sick of him and want shut of him but there are a few that will defend him no matter what.

I've said it before and I'll say it again for the last time, he is an exceptional athlete and footballer in the right team, hes the cherry on top of the cream cake, unfortunately our cake is currently covered in nothing but ass cream and as such he is not what we need. He also doesn't look to care about being with the club. All his waffle about unfinished business was an exercise in raising his own profile, nothing more and nothing less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Ole Ole Ander Herrera

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Trigger wrote: »

There was a window last season, in the months before Jose was sacked, where every time we won a match, you’d start a countdown to a negative Pogba interview coming out. We would win, the fans would start to feel a bit of positivity....and here comes Pogba or Raiola with some snotty quote to drag everything back down again.

Said at the time, even as a Jose fan, I knew he had to go, but from a pure attitude problem. I’d love Pogba gone too. If anyone thinks he won’t undermine Ole the second he thinks blame will slip back upon himself, you’re not paying attention to his history...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

How did Mourinho fan the fires ? By making Pogba captain? Mourinho bend over backwards for Pogba, Gave him a “free” role at #10, played him as a left attacking midfielder, bought Matic to free him, bought Fred to free him. Carrot (praise), stick(dropped him rightfully).

Pogba undermining him last season was a disgrace and completely unjustified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

The only time I can vividly recall him being a brilliant Onfield influence was second half against City the season before last. He was imperious, for that 45 minutes. No bolloxing, no gesticulating, just grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck and won us the match.

Other than that, meh, nothing to write home about.

I still contend that it was Alexiz that grabbed the game by the scruff of the net. He created the first goal out of nothing and then assisted the equaliser and winner.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement