Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Howson saying now Tunazabe is off to Villa on loan too.

Chester is apparently badly injured so looks like thats why Villa are after so many. Very nice provided he gets regular game time. Now lets get Henderson to Sheffield.

Maybe things are starting to take shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Good ****ing Christ but that is silly money for a centre half who is terrible when having to defend facing his own goal.

Not so bad when he is replacing a defender that can't defend facing any direction.

Maguire is not world class but he is probably the best English defender at moment and he is definitely a player that doesn't go missing when Needed so I don't care what anyone bulsh1ts about money he is what we need so get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Leicester Mercury reporting it too :P

It’s done.

Weirdly, everyone will frame it as an 80m Deal. I wonder what the 20m add ons look like. I presume they are achievable in Leicester’s eyes, but 60m up front is fine, and if he achieves the add ons, I’d presume everyone will be happy-ish by his value then.
    Exactly, 25% in add ons is the right way to structure a deal like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Headshot wrote: »
    He's just not good enough for the level utd want to get back to. It totally smells of a panic buy as they know they desperately needed a CB and their main targets didnt want to come and just settled on Maguire.

Good thing we improved RB because Maguire would be no better at all those balls played in behind between Young & Smalling last season.

The worst thing about this deal is that Ed definitely won’t invest in the position now for the foreseeable after spending this much on it. No matter how badly it’s needed this will be it for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Norwood hasn't said anything so it's lies atm. Usual Sunday nonsense

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    Not so bad when he is replacing a defender that can't defend facing any direction.

Maguire is not world class but he is probably the best English defender at moment and he is definitely a player that doesn't go missing when Needed so I don't care what anyone bulsh1ts about money he is what we need so get him.

My problem isn’t the money itself, after all it’s not mine.

It’s that whenever a centre half is needed in the next 5 years Ed will point to the amount splashed on this deal and say that’s that, we’re not spending more on it.

How much was Koudabailly again? If we are very likely to pay 80 we could have stretched to 100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

How much was Koudabailly again? If we are very likely to pay 80 we could have stretched to 100

150 million.

I'm happy enough with maguire. Will provide some command at the back. Would have preferred de Ligt or Varane but there had to be a different selection.

My problem isn’t the money itself, after all it’s not mine.

It’s that whenever a centre half is needed in the next 5 years Ed will point to the amount splashed on this deal and say that’s that, we’re not spending more on it.
    So.... The same thing he'd say for any cb signed then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Maguire will be a super signing.

Great work getting him.

• Advertisement

So.... The same thing he'd say for any cb signed then?

No, it’s not.

Continue to be glib though.

This is the lad who wrote this Maguire rubbish. Funny how everyone latches onto it.

Got a nice few clicks for an account that joined twitter in June 2019

D_b96-YXUAE4DQO?format=jpg&name=large

Wonder how he is so clued in.

No, it’s not.

Continue to be glib though.

Any top cb signed would cost the same money though? De Ligt 75. KK 150. Varane 100.

What cb are we signing for any amount where that same argument wouldn't apply? Taking a punt on someone like Dias? 50million for him... Would the same argument not apply?

RasTa wrote: »
    This is the lad who wrote this Maguire rubbish. Funny how everyone latches onto it.

Got a nice few clicks for an account that joined twitter in June 2019

D_b96-YXUAE4DQO?format=jpg&name=large

Wonder how he is so clued in.

Ah jaysus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Don't do it to yourselves, same rubbish every year.

Until Craig Norwood announces it then it's the usual crap, Sunday especially.

Don't do it to yourselves, same rubbish every year.

Until Craig Norwood announces it then it's the usual crap, Sunday especially.

Its nice to think we are a competent club again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

I'd be worried about the lack of pace at back with Maguire and Lindelof playing together. Obviously both fullback are very pacey but still.

I'm not a huge Maguire fan and it's mental money for someone of his caliber.

It's bizzare they wouldnt sign him last season but are now for a hugely inflated price.

It's hard to be optimistic.

Did we do many deals the last two years when the lads where abroad for pre-season?

Any top cb signed would cost the same money though? De Ligt 75. KK 150. Varane 100.

What cb are we signing for any amount where that same argument wouldn't apply? Taking a punt on someone like Dias? 50million for him... Would the same argument not apply?

Its not a consensus opinion that’s he’s a “top” centre half though. And likewise, if this is the fee we pay for him then I imagine the consensus will be that we’ve overpaid.

If you can’t identify a suitable target then either make do or identify someone at a lower price capable of servicing the need until such a time as you are able to identify a suitable candidate. But don’t go overreaching for someone who may or may not fill the need because then you’re just compounding errors by not only failing to adequately solve the issue, but you’re also wasting valuable financial resources in doing so.

Ultimately this comes down to how you rate Maguire. I hope he finds a way to kick on to another level but I’ll be even more dumbfounded if Alderweireld goes to Roma for £25 million this week after this story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

https://twitter.com/u_xisimon/status/1150419785592823809?s=21

This isn’t “Sunday rubbish”, it’s done. Not Maguires biggest fan but much prefer him over Jones/Smalling.

is that sarcasm or not my radar is broken

o is that 1 of the itk dudes twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

is that sarcasm or not my radar is broken

o is that 1 of the itk dudes twitter

He is the best reddit/twitter ITK in my opinion anyway. Only above him is the club photographer

This isn’t “Sunday rubbish”, it’s done. Not Maguires biggest fan but much prefer him over Jones/Smalling.

Well if Simon says so...

Although he is a bit late to the party considering the Sun broke it first.

Too much stuff going on over here atm. British GP, CWC final and Wimbledon final.

Footy needs some clicks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yep he’s and upgrade on Jones and probably Smalling too going by how much he seems to be of an ‘average’ disposition last season.

• RasTa wrote: »
    Well if Simon says so...

Too much stuff going on over here atm. British GP, CWC final and Wimbledon final.

Footy needs some clicks

Let us know when you are happy with the reports :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Wonder how much we could get for either Smalling or Jones. Which would command the highest price?

• S.M.B. wrote: »
    Wonder how much we could get for either Smalling or Jones. Which would command the highest price?

Smalling but I'd keep him over Jones

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Smalling but I'd keep him over Jones

Smalling needs to have his arms tied to his sides this year though or VAR will absolutely ruin him. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Smalling not good enough to get in the England squad over the likes of Tarkowski and Dunk? He's garbage at everything bar heading. Needs to basically foul in order to be good at that too.

Well thats that then thank fook.

Fernandes in and I guess thats a solid window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

S.M.B. wrote: »

God knows. Could be anything between £10 and £50 million the way the transfer market is now.

Tyrone Mings went for £25 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Just get a RM in now and we'll be much improved. Maybe Longstaff too if a realistic price is agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Are United missing a trick with Kieran Tierney?

Arsenal set to pay £25 million for him which in today's market is a bargain really. He's a top quality LB

I like Shaw and yes he was Man United player of the year (Should have been Lindelof IMO) but he is quite injury prone (meaning more Ashley Young) but begs the question, is he really that good and will we be consistently waiting for him to come good? There's a reason he's not in the England squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Liam O wrote: »
    Smalling not good enough to get in the England squad over the likes of Tarkowski and Dunk? He's garbage at everything bar heading. Needs to basically foul in order to be good at that too.

Smalling has played for England many times in the past. Their current manager is emphasizing the current trend of CBs being ball players first and foremost.

To say he is garbage at everything bar heading is doing him a huge disservice as well as your argument against him.

• Advertisement

Well if Simon says so...

Footy needs some clicks

He doesn’t try to be first. He only reports on it when it’s more or less done.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    He is the best reddit/twitter ITK in my opinion anyway. Only above him is the club photographer

Biggest plot twist was him revealing he’s under 18 the other day. :pac:

He doesn’t try to be first. He only reports on it when it’s more or less done.

So he is just latching onto today's news then. I just don't believe any of this ITK stuff. It was Isco last week. I also think City would shell out £60m for him if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Haven't seen either to be honest but are longstaff and garner much different midfielders?

I'd prefer to spend 18mill on Lemina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Friend of mine text me an ITK twitter thingy that says maguire deal is done. I’m not bothered with that stuff but he doesn’t usually text me unless it’s serious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Drumpot wrote: »
    Friend of mine text me an ITK twitter thingy that says maguire deal is done. I’m not bothered with that stuff but he doesn’t usually text me unless it’s serious.

Probably same link That's been posted here an hour ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Are United missing a trick with Kieran Tierney?

Arsenal set to pay £25 million for him which in today's market is a bargain really. He's a top quality LB

I like Shaw and yes he was Man United player of the year (Should have been Lindelof IMO) but he is quite injury prone (meaning more Ashley Young) but begs the question, is he really that good and will we be consistently waiting for him to come good? There's a reason he's not in the England squad.

I have to agree about tierney. In fairness for the price he is I would be bringing him in like a hot snot.

jayo26 wrote: »
    Probably same link That's been posted here an hour ago.

It’s actually a different guy who he says is usually close to the mark.

https://twitter.com/agent_edward/status/1150398408135520257?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Never played in Premier league, the few times I have seen him against Liverpool and Arsenal, he was all over the shop, huge difference in Italian league to English league, we need players to help us improve our league form. Maguire fits the bill perfectly, no need to adpt, premier league proven, a leader, will improve us, should have been signed last summer.. Him and AWB will make a huge difference to the side,

Logically it doesn't even make any sense considering we gave new contracts to Smalling and Jones. Have Lindelof and Bailly. Throw in Axel(new contract too) and Rojo + Maguire for 7 CB's.

Logically it doesn't even make any sense considering we gave new contracts to Smalling and Jones. Have Lindelof and Bailly. Throw in Axel(new contract too) and Rojo + Maguire for 7 CB's.

Two of them, and maybe tuanzebe are good enough.

Tuanzebe will be loaned out. Hopefully Rojo and a chance of bailly too.

The contacts for smalling and Jones were stupid. Should have just been one of them renewed.

So he is just latching onto today's news then. I just don't believe any of this ITK stuff. It was Isco last week. I also think City would shell out £60m for him if true.

Simon said nothing about Isco. Don't know where you've pulled that from. I'm only talking about him, not any other proclaimed ITKs. But if you choose not to believe him, then thats up to you.

Flick on the tennis, it’s great

So if United have agreed an 80million deal, you reckon City would have gone to 60million and got him?

So if United have agreed an 80million deal, you reckon City would have gone to 60million and got him?

Everyone saying £60 + 20 in performance bonuses(from the single article). Yeah City would have matched considering what they spent on fullbacks last year + Kompany gone

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement