Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Drumpot wrote: »
    Flick on the tennis, it’s great

Typical always dragging the thread off topic..... Its Fantastic match aint it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

jayo26 wrote: »
    Typical always dragging the thread off topic..... Its Fantastic match aint it.

It’s exceptional stuff. 4 hours these guys have played! I played a singles game for 90 mins a few weeks ago and was in bits for a day !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

RasTa wrote: »
    Everyone saying £60 + 20 in performance bonuses(from the single article). Yeah City would have matched considering what they spent on fullbacks last year + Kompany gone

So you should have written city would have paid 60million + 20million. Which is a very different thing to what you wrote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

So you should have written city would have paid 60million + 20million. Which is a very different thing to what you wrote.

Not really if you read what the deal that was being reported today. It's all rubbish anyway so who cares.

Drumpot wrote: »
    It’s exceptional stuff. 4 hours these guys have played! I played a singles game for 90 mins a few weeks ago and was in bits for a day !!!

I played it on xbox a while ago and my thumbs were killing me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Are United missing a trick with Kieran Tierney?

Arsenal set to pay £25 million for him which in today's market is a bargain really. He's a top quality LB

I like Shaw and yes he was Man United player of the year (Should have been Lindelof IMO) but he is quite injury prone (meaning more Ashley Young) but begs the question, is he really that good and will we be consistently waiting for him to come good? There's a reason he's not in the England squad.

For that money I'd 100% have him Tierny, Maguire, Lindelof, Wan Bissaka would be a great first back four

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

xtal191 wrote: »
    For that money I'd 100% have him Tierny, Maguire, Lindelof, Wan Bissaka would be a great first back four

Great way to reward our Player of the Year.

Demoting him to second choice for someone who's looked decent in a mickey mouse league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Demoting him to second choice for someone who's looked decent in a mickey mouse league.

It may come across that way but so what, we have zero back up on the left. If Shaw is injured, Ashley fúckin Young plays. If Shaw doesn't play well.. Luke Shaw still starts.

Luke Shaw is good, not great. Having competition may spur him on. Say what you want about the 'Mickey Mouse League', Tierney is a quality footballer and looked more than decent.

The best teams have a squad, not just a starting 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

I think there is enough of the squad to replace without going near Shaw.
    If we had a functioning team with only a few additional players needed to freshen it up, then signing another LB to put pressure on Shaw would make sense.
    Unfortunately we are far from being in that position.

• Advertisement

So you think Shaw would immediately be demoted behind someone who you say only looked decent b in a poor league.

Doesn't say much for Shaw, does it. Should be replaced if that is his level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'd have said Dalot was more likely to play LB before Young this year if Shaw gets crocked......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

So you think Shaw would immediately be demoted behind someone who you say only looked decent b in a poor league.

Doesn't say much for Shaw, does it. Should be replaced if that is his level

Yeah, maybe read the post I quoted first Mitch.
    xtal191 wrote:

He's talking about signing Tierney and putting him into our first choice back four ahead of Shaw.

Not me. I'm disagreeing with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

irishchris wrote: »

What tier is Leicestershire Live on reddit? It's how I evaluate all rumours. Dem itk's yo.

• Advertisement

I know a Man Utd based Twitter account, is going to be more biased towards our (potential) players but on reading that it makes me feel a little better about the potential signing.

It would be great to have a super quick CB beside him, so Varane please if pogba leaves but at least both our full backs are very quick

I know a Man Utd based Twitter account, is going to be more biased towards our (potential) players but on reading that it makes me feel a little better about the potential signing.

It would be great to have a super quick CB beside him, so Varane please if pogba leaves but at least both our full backs are very quick
    A cb who can show command defending crosses is needed with ddg very poor at blocking that area off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

From a post on Redcafe, via Whoscored...
    Just check his stats from whoscored, his ranking when compared with his teammates at Leicester:

15th in tackle
    2nd in blocks (behind Evans)
    2nd in clearance (behind Evans)
    2nd in Ariel won
    1st in total no. of pass made
    4th in passing completion
    15th in key pass
    6th in average ratings

Stats can be looked at a number of ways.

A cb who can show command defending crosses is needed with ddg very poor at blocking that area off.

It more or less said in the thread I posted above McGuire is very good at that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

irishchris wrote: »

The exact same thing happened after initial reports came out we had a deal agreed with James and the same for AWB. Reckon it’ll be announced by Tuesday/Wednesday imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

J. Marston wrote: »

How much would that Evans chap cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Wonder how much we could get for either Smalling or Jones. Which would command the highest price?

Smalling and Jones will be very hard to sell as they have just signed new contracts, both on 120k a week. No club is going to pay them that and they will hardly take a wage cut.

That leaves Bailly (75k), Rojo (80k) and Tuanzebe as the only CBs that we could sell. I would imagine Bailly is still worth 30-35m. Rojo possibly 15m and Tuanzebe 20m based on him being English, Young and improving. I did read last week that United are looking for 25m for Rojo but can hardly see that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

J. Marston wrote: »

Evans is possibly the better of the two and the stats seem to show that

8-10 wrote: »
    How much would that Evans chap cost?
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    Evans is possibly the better of the two and the stats seem to show that

Have a look at the twitter thread I posted and tell me what ye think guys.

I'll admit I was a bit surprised but I'd like to hear yer thoughts on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Maguire is a proven top 10 defender in the PL but a club as big as United should have a top 10 in the world in there.

Maguire seems to fit into the standard that the club has become accustomed to, a club that struggles to get top 4 but occasionally gets there. Good but not great.

We must be expecting him to kick on another level if we are paying so much.

Realistically we need Maguire, Fernandes and a right winger before I would say we are comfortably better than Chelsea and Arsenal are right now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Maguire appears almost perfect for what United need on and off the pitch based on what Ole wants to do.

He would make some mistakes or be caught out though, I think if United get him he will be slaughtered for some of the mistakes but that is what happens at the highest profile clubs.

He fits many if the needs United have from a CB. I still don't understand what keeping both Jones and Smalling was about if the club is willing to spend so much on a CB this summer.

I think Maguire is treated harsher because he's English. He's a good defender with a good presence on the pitch, something United have been lacking. Homegrown too.

His stats will only improve by going to a top 6 team. Is he better than van Dijk? Nope, not for me. But it's United so the price will be high. I wouldnt worry about it though.

You won't find a better CB or RB in the league last season outside the top 4 than Maguire and AWB

Briefly went through it there. Nothing particularly
    Surprising in it though. Reads like you are getting someone that is operating at a similar level to Lindelof who was your best defender last year.

Maybe playing in a slightly better team Maguire will have the potential to improve upon that level.

I'd actually be interested in seeing how he compared to Bailly in the 17-18 season when he was considered your best centre half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I think Maguire is treated harsher because he's English. He's a good defender with a good presence on the pitch, something United have been lacking. Homegrown too.

His stats will only improve by going to a top 6 team. Is he better than van Dijk? Nope, not for me. But it's United so the price will be high. I wouldnt worry about it though.

You won't find a better CB or RB in the league last season outside the top 4 than Maguire and AWB

Some also dug themselves into a hole where Maguire was laughed at due to him being wanted 12 months ago. Whenever a result went bad under the previous manager the "joke" was "if only we had Maguire". Now we actually appear to be getting him it will stick in the throats of some to see that he is actually good.

Briefly went through it there. Nothing particularly
    Surprising in it though. Reads like you are getting someone that is operating at a similar level to Lindelof who was your best defender last year.

Maybe playing in a slightly better team Maguire will have the potential to improve upon that level.

I'd actually be interested in seeing how he compared to Bailly in the 17-18 season when he was considered your best centre half.

I'm going to reply to both of ye as I'm lazy and felt the Evans comments were slightly diggy (maybe they weren't)

And I'll say all of this by saying I wasn't nor still am overly excited by his (potential) signing

The pace factor is certainly a worry, but if he has enough pace around him it should be fine we have that in the fbs postions but not at cb, Redzerdog is right bailly started great an actually has that pace and last ditch tackle in him to cover for McGuire he does seemingly lack positional awareness massively though. So maybe a an authoritative figure at the back might see him improve.

His ball playing ability is certainly something we have lacked, LVG never got his cbs in and tried it with smalling which was always a scary sight heading up the pitch. SO Mcguire will add some composure and passing ability here also.

I think I'm an ok Judge of players but tbh you can never see enough of not your teams players, I mean is it even possible to watch 38 games of Lecister on the tele in a season. Which is why I like to rely on stats to make judgments at times.

It looks somewhat more promising to me if he is signed and un like Bailly or even Darmian he has a proven premier league record ( i got excited by both there starts)

I was a little meh about the signing as I said but I can picture him now being very good for the team (maybe utd bias) but he certainly in my head even before is a better player then Evans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Would be a smart and sensible signing for CB... if you can call 80 odd million either of them.

No guessing if they'll adjust to life in the Prem and no wondering if they'll develop into a top player. It would result in a very solid back 4, definitely a Top 4 defence.

1 or 2 more bits of good business further up the field and we'll be in good order. Over to Ole then to deliver.

I actually rate Evans quite highly and think he was better than Maguire last season (obviously age profile ect ye aren't gona sign him)

I think you are getting exactly what most people expect from Maguire. The money is crazy but as long as it doesn't impact other signing then who cares.

I don't think Maguire would start for anyone else in top 6 apart from Arsenal at present but he could also go on to be a top cb in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I actually rate Evans quite highly and think he was better than Maguire last season (obviously age profile ect ye aren't gona sign him)

I think you are getting exactly what most people expect from Maguire. The money is crazy but as long as it doesn't impact other signing then who cares.

I don't think Maguire would start for anyone else in top 6 apart from Arsenal at present but he could also go on to be a top cb in time.

Don't post too much here but that's bull****..so a first choice England international wont start for Spurs, United or Chelsea.. ???
    Go way with your analysis..

And for what it is worth I don't think he is worth that but the transfer market is what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

That’s some load of crap to me. Evans only got games at the end of the season when Rodgers arrived. Before then, he was in and out of the team. Are you telling me that he’s not better than Rudiger/Luiz, Stones/Otamendi, Gomez/Matip. Come off it boy, although we’re paying a tad too much, this is what we need in our backline.
    De Gea,
    Wan Bissaka, Lindelof, Maguire & Shaw. How sexy is that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I think Maguire would start for any of the top 6 at the moment tbh he is certainly better than Stones/Gomez and Matip anyway for a start

Don't post too much here but that's bull****..so a first choice England international wont start for Spurs, United or Chelsea.. ???
    Go way with your analysis..

And for what it is worth I don't think he is worth that but the transfer market is what it is

I said the only other team apart from utd is Arsenal. Doesn't start ahead or vertongan or Toby for Spurs.

Hard to know who will be Chelsea's first choice cb partnership but all things considered I'd prefer Christensen and Rudigar. Chelsea would definitely be he best opertunty of gametime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Subtle digs lol. It's an ok signing but to imply that hes not a top 6 defender is fairly laughable. If reports are true was City interested in him also ?

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I think Maguire would start for any of the top 6 at the moment tbh he is certainly better than Stones/Gomez and Matip anyway for a start

You would struggle to find anyone who is not a Leicester or Utd fan that would agree with that assessment.

Subtle digs lol. It's an ok signing but to imply that hes not a top 6 defender is fairly laughable. If reports are true was City interested in him also ?

If city wanted him they would have signed him.

Also city can afford to waste crazy money on subs

Also there was no digs anywhere, Maguire is what he is, a decent defender. I never said he wasn't a top 6 defender, I actually stayed he would be starter for 2 of the top 6 comfortably.

Whether he is a top 4 defender or not is a different story and time will tell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Duane Dibbley

If Maguire is an improvement on both Smalling and Jones then I’m happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

You would struggle to find anyone who is not a Leicester or Utd fan that would agree with that assessment.

Maguire would replace Kompany at City

He wouldn’t get in Liverpool’s starting 11

He’d be first choice CB currently at Arsenal

He’d shore up Chelsea’s CB slot, missing someone since Terry left, Cahill got on.

Spurs wouldn’t be interested I don’t think, 2 very good CBs already who work well together

It’s a lot of money alright but in the grand scheme of things, he’ll make United’s defence better. Finally replacing Vidic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I like Stones so I would probably take him alright. Gomez and Matip though? One plays 5 games a season and the other is one of the most patchy players with regards form you're likely to see. Looks great when it's all going well but crumbles under adversity or any sort of leadership role from what I've seen.

Liam O wrote: »
    I like Stones so I would probably take him alright. Gomez and Matip though? One plays 5 games a season and the other is one of the most patchy players with regards form you're likely to see. Looks great when it's all going well but crumbles under adversity or any sort of leadership role from what I've seen.

Harsh on him given the season he just had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Fit Gomez? No. Matip? No, he was as impressive as vvd as the season went on and was instrumental to winning the CL.

He's a good player though a well rounded English CB, doesn't really excel in any area. He's a leader which is what United need desperately, I think he'll form a nice partnership with Lindelof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

The patronising posts from Liverpool fans are very welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

He is better than Stones or Otamendi

Spurs usually play 3 at the back he is better than Sanchez and it looks like Toby will leave

Christensen played 600 minutes last season laughable to say he would start ahead of Maguire

He is ahead of Gomes for England and Matip had a good end to the season but has not shown enough consistently

Would he be number 1 at any of them probably not but he would certainly start imo at any top 6 club

Do I think he is world class or would he be my first choice signing no but he is a good defender

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

If Maguire is an improvement on both Smalling and Jones then I’m happy.

If Maguire lost the power of his legs and was wheelchair bound he would still be an improvement on both of those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

A fit Phil Jones is the best CB of all time but if it never happened then it's just conjecture.

BenK wrote: »
    The patronising posts from Liverpool fans are very welcome.

To be fair most are pretty correct but still doesn't take away from fact that if maguire signed for us he would greatly help improve one of our weakest areas on the team.

We conceded over 50 goals in league last season and missed out on top four by a couple of points of we replace the two of the weakest positions then it can only but help. Top four is not the end aim but it should be short term target and hope the board back the manager again and again.

If city wanted him they would have signed him.

So City never wanted Sanchez.
    City never wanted Jorginho.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement