Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm not suprised we are flutering about regarding Maguire but kinda worried we havent heard anything about Dunk's move, Brighton going after a CB OR Villa getting Tuanzebe......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Dunks move ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

yabadabado wrote: »
    Dunks move ?

To be Maguire's replacement at Leicester

8-10 wrote: »
    To be Maguire's replacement at Leicester

Bingo there is supposedly that chain ready to start rolling. Our dithering means we wont be the one to start it but if any of the others start the moves it'd be a great sign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

SO the ITK was wrong and it was the usual Sunday rubbish?

Declaring myself an ITK from now on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RasTa wrote: »

The “ITk” just said it was done. When he said that with AWB too, it as still two or three days later before the others jumped on. I’d be giving him till Tuesday to say he was wrong, but when you see the story already changing from “no bid” to “Maguire wants to go and the price is 80m”, it’s looking like it’s all about to come together publicly.

RasTa wrote: »

Probably moreso the United dithering rubbish that means we will barely have time to get another player in.

Maguire WILL come. Its just how much bloody longer will it take us to finish and move on.

Your hatred for xisimon is amusing.

Sky Italia linking us again to SMS. Saying we would offer 80m, Lazio want 100m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sky Italia linking us again to SMS. Saying we would offer 80m, Lazio want 100m.

Thought I opened the thread a week ago by mistake :p

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Just found out Fred decided to have his wedding in the middle of our preseason. I could have told him he wouldn't be in Brazil's Copa America squad!! Be interesting to see if he takes a honeymoon...

Could only imagine if Roy Keane was manager or even player in this squad with Fred doing that, what would happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

damowill wrote: »
    Just found out Fred decided to have his wedding in the middle of our preseason. I could have told him he wouldn't be in Brazil's Copa America squad!! Be interesting to see if he takes a honeymoon...

Could only imagine if Roy Keane was manager or even player in this squad with Fred doing that, what would happen

To be fair these things are planned ages in advance, I'd have presumed he'd have made the squad last year! But yeah, it's not a great look

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Two deals, 40million apart. That would go a long way to getting Fernandes as well so it makes sense these deals take time. It is serious money.

If Lukaku goes then Maguire, Bruno and another midfielder on top of AWB would be a good window.

It looks to me that players out is having a big influence on what United will do with players in which is driving Lukaku situation. Looking at 30 players in the squad. Need to move on some of the defenders, Darmian, TFM at least one of Smalling, Jones, Bailly and Rojo.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Two deals, 40million apart. That would go a long way to getting Fernandes as well so it makes sense these deals take time. It is serious money.

If Lukaku goes then Maguire, Bruno and another midfielder on top of AWB would be a good window.

It looks to me that players out is having a big influence on what United will do with players in which is driving Lukaku situation. Looking at 30 players in the squad. Need to move on some of the defenders, Darmian, TFM at least one of Smalling, Jones, Bailly and Rojo.

TFM is apparently crocked until New Year recovering from knee surgery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Twitter thinks De Gea is staying. That’s great news if true as either way it needed to be resolved.

Ducker saying DDG will sign, Stone says it’s still being discussed.

Looks very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ducker saying DDG will sign, Stone says it’s still being discussed.

Looks very good.

The only good thing out of this summer for me if this comes true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So either ddg has no ambition or he is aware United are in the right track based on internal discussions.

I hope its the latter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Doesn’t seem to be a host of clubs lining up for him to be fair, if he has been contacted by any club I’d imagine they want him to let his contract run out and then evaluate next summer but that seems risky when United are dangling a 300k 5 year deal in front of him.

Although PSG have been very quiet this summer and it seems to make the most sense for him to go there, probably his only option really

Doesn’t seem to be a host of clubs lining up for him to be fair, if he has been contacted by any club I’d imagine they want him to let his contract run out and then evaluate next summer but that seems risky when United are dangling a 300k 5 year deal in front of him.

Although PSG have been very quiet this summer and it seems to make the most sense for him to go there, probably his only option really
    I'd have thought Juve next summer.

Hopefully its happening and he isnt just stringing ed along, if he starts the season no contract signed you could see a big drop in performances with a view to being benched then cha ching. Although that could be just the cynic in me talking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

DDG contract extension will be the best signing of the summer

Great news if true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

Maybe last seasons less than stellar performance by DDG, when compared to his own exceptional standards, will have briefly taken him off the radars of the Madrids, and psgs etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'd say he's been off Madrid's shortlist ever since they signed Courtois.

Realistically, PSG were his only potential suitors. Maybe Juventus at a stretch but there was never any links. They seem perfectly happy with Sczcesny either way.

Leicester plays Scunthorpe tonight at 8ish in pre-season

You’d imagine if Maguire isn’t involved or doesn’t travel, he’s close to joining.

Leicester plays Scunthorpe tonight at 8ish in pre-season

You’d imagine if Maguire isn’t involved or doesn’t travel, he’s close to joining.

Will keep an eye on their teamsheet!

Supposedly Leicester trying to buy Lewis Dunk from Brighton as a replacement.

https://twitter.com/indykaila/status/1150653035443621888

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

They may very well want £45m, but don't take anything that Twitter account says on board. Generally regarded as the worst account for transfer news and has been outed as a complete spoofer on numerous occasions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Good to see Lindelof with Ole at the press conference, especially with the inevitable questions after what his agent said.

Ole looking to see some players go, need Ed to get on with deals out as well as in:

https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1151035623169495040?s=19

“Yeah, of course, there’s a limit of players,” Solskjaer said when asked about his stockpile of centre halves ahead of Wednesday’s game against Leeds United at the Optus Stadium. “Whoever performs will be part of the team and whoever doesn’t they have got to fight to get back in. There’s been loads of speculation but we’ll work to find a relationship with the ones we’ve got.

“Axel has got a great chance of staying here and playing. He had a great season last year. It was a stop-start season with injuries but he’s really proven he can play at that level, he got promoted with Villa and he’s come strong. Focused. He did well in the first game here [against Perth Glory on Saturday] and he’s one of the exciting players that I can’t wait to see more of.”

Lindelof insisted he was happy at United as he played down talk of an exit, despite Cetinkaya saying: “Lindelof is in the orbit of a great European club but leaving United depends on the English club.

“I’m very happy to be a Manchester United player and I’m really looking forward to this season starting,” the United defender said. “I’m very happy here.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

indykaila....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

Headshot wrote: »
    The only good thing out of this summer for me if this comes true

Not a fan of AWB then??

• Advertisement

duffman13 wrote: »
    To be fair these things are planned ages in advance, I'd have presumed he'd have made the squad last year! But yeah, it's not a great look

But if Pogba or any other high profile player did it, there would be anarchy. He could have had his wedding anytime from mid May to end of June, like everyone else does. Very unprofessional to be missing imo so can imagine he will be in the bad books with Ole

But if Pogba or any other high profile player did it, there would be anarchy. He could have had his wedding anytime from mid May to end of June, like everyone else does. Very unprofessional to be missing imo so can imagine he will be in the bad books with Ole

Fred actually got married last year and this time around it's more of a celebration with friends and family as the original marriage was a private setting.

Fred of all people needed a full pre season, let's hope it doesn't hamper him too much. If he gets off to a slow start, we'll know why.

But with the expectation he was going to be in the Brazil squad, with in a wedding planned well in advance, a few days after the end of the Copa America makes sense from a planning perspective.

Is your expectation he would skip pre-tournament training?
    Is your expectation he would skip out during the tournament?
    Is your expectation that he would skip part of the regular football season?

Is it THAT bit an issue that he trained during the summer, trained at Carrington while the players travelled and got set up in Aus. Spent a few days getting married. Went back to training at Carrington. Will now meet up with the squad.

Is it ideal, no. But it is understandable from a planning point of view and if the reality is that he missed about 1 week of training in Australia I just don't see why people would hammer him this way.

Pogba missed the first week of pre-season training so he could go on holiday. Now, he was playing international football til late in the summer, so it makes sense. But do you think if he was getting married this summer it would have been planned to take place during the time he was scheduled to have off between the international games he expected to be involved in and the point at which he was expected to return?

Cause that is exactly the timing Fred planned around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'd be far more concerned about the pre-season training missed by the new players we haven't bought yet. Thats just me though, I know some aren't concerned by getting transfer business done early.

I'd be far more concerned about the pre-season training missed by the new players we haven't bought yet. Thats just me though, I know some aren't concerned by getting transfer business done early.

I dunno.

1. I am a person who wants the business done ASAP and United's prolonged crap annoys the S out of me.
    2. I do think pre-season is very important for United this year, as we need to be fitter and sharper than last year - where the fitness levels of United didn't come close to suiting what Ole needed of his team.

However....

If the players we are signing already played for clubs where their fitness and work rate was better, then their need to be 'retaught' like the current bunch isn't as high.

The importance of this pre-season is to try fix the players we already had - so while it would be very good from a tactical perspective to have them in, from a conditioning point of view it mightn't be as big a deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Why didnt we or why don't we gazzump the De Lit Juve deal, offer same money to Ajax but a better pay deal to turn his head, a leader too by all accounts :(

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    Why didnt we or why don't we gazzump the De Lit Juve deal, offer same money to Ajax but a better pay deal to turn his head, a leader too by all accounts :(

Because he doesn't want to join United.

All the speculation is we offered Ajax what they want, we offered him what he wanted - but Juve were more attractive.

Haller doing medicals for West Ham today. Saying he's still talking to another PL club too. Know he looked a good Lukaku replacement option :/

The importance of this pre-season is to try fix the players we already had - so while it would be very good from a tactical perspective to have them in, from a conditioning point of view it mightn't be as big a deal.

To be honest, I just think that the whole fitness thing was always just a smokescreen or handy excuse, it doesn't hold enough water for me when it comes to the performances we saw from February on.

So I suspect that if the season starts in a similar fashion then the excuse will morph from fitness to the players not having fully adapted to Ole's "style" yet, and that of course leads back to who missed pre-season training or not.

Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Jesus that indykaila fella is still around, he was called out years ago for being a spoofer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Because he doesn't want to join United.

All the speculation is we offered Ajax what they want, we offered him what he wanted - but Juve were more attractive.

That says a lot to where the club is now that someone would pick Juve over us :( , dont get me wrong , Juve are my italian team, always loved the work ethic of the Old Lady of Turin going back over ths last 25 plus years.

• Advertisement

But with the expectation he was going to be in the Brazil squad, with in a wedding planned well in advance, a few days after the end of the Copa America makes sense from a planning perspective.

Is your expectation he would skip pre-tournament training?
    Is your expectation he would skip out during the tournament?
    Is your expectation that he would skip part of the regular football season?

Is it THAT bit an issue that he trained during the summer, trained at Carrington while the players travelled and got set up in Aus. Spent a few days getting married. Went back to training at Carrington. Will now meet up with the squad.

Is it ideal, no. But it is understandable from a planning point of view and if the reality is that he missed about 1 week of training in Australia I just don't see why people would hammer him this way.

Pogba missed the first week of pre-season training so he could go on holiday. Now, he was playing international football til late in the summer, so it makes sense. But do you think if he was getting married this summer it would have been planned to take place during the time he was scheduled to have off between the international games he expected to be involved in and the point at which he was expected to return?

Cause that is exactly the timing Fred planned around.

Is your expectation he would skip pre-tournament training? Yes, or get married after the season ends / before pre-tournament training. United's last match was May 12th. Brazils first game was 15th June.

Man United employ him, pay his wages. They are given enough time to go on holiday, getting married and the like.

Because Fred is ****, people dont mind. Pogba took 1 day off. But if he got married during pre-season it would be headlines.

• Some folks don't think Fred is **** :P

To be honest, I just think that the whole fitness thing was always just a smokescreen or handy excuse, it doesn't hold enough water for me when it comes to the performances we saw from February on.

So I suspect that if the season starts in a similar fashion then the excuse will morph from fitness to the players not having fully adapted to Ole's "style" yet, and that of course leads back to who missed pre-season training or not.

Time will tell.

So why do you think our players were able to press and keep up a tempo for 30 minutes or so, and then would fall off and not return to those levels in a match, ceding control, position and pressure?

Do you think it was a tactical plan?
    Do you think the players just weren't bothered after 30mins of high press and were happy to concede and lose games in the second half?

That says a lot to where the club is now that someone would pick Juve over us :( , dont get me wrong , Juve are my italian team, always loved the work ethic of the Old Lady of Turin going back over ths last 25 plus years.

Yep, winning the league every year, competing in the CL and due to tax changes, able to pay players a crap load more.

Some folks don't think Fred is **** :P

I think he's a curious one.

He doesn't seem to get the same "Oh it was Jose's fault" that a lot of players do. For instance, a lot of people will make excuses for Martial or Pogba, and then slate Sanchez or Fred, despite the same circumstances being involved.

I think Fred struggled to adapt last year; there's potential there, though, and I'd love to see him "Do a Lindelof" and grow into the team a bit more this year.

There's obviously a good player there; both us and City were after him for a reason. Near the end, he had a few games where he looked really good (but those games tended to have a blunder or two involved from him too).

I wonder if he'd benefit from a better organised defense behind him, for instance. Maguire and AWB would give all the midfielders a bit more confidence, I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'd have serious issues with the way they were buying refs about 10 years ago but I've always been more fond of AC Milan.

So why do you think our players were able to press and keep up a tempo for 30 minutes or so, and then would fall off and not return to those levels in a match, ceding control, position and pressure?

Do you think it was a tactical plan?
    Do you think the players just weren't bothered after 30mins of high press and were happy to concede and lose games in the second half?

Why did United start so many games incredibly poorly if it was a fitness issue? Why were they not bothered after 0 mins of high press in so many games?

I think there are a lot of reasons why that squad consistently under-performs, they lack a lot of things whether it be talent, professionalism, character and also some fitness. What I don't think is that the squad not being fit enough to play Ole's "style" is the reason they were so utterly dog**** for the last 3 months of the season.

Why did United start so many games incredibly poorly if it was a fitness issue? Why were they not bothered after 0 mins of high press in so many games?

I think there are a lot of reasons why that squad consistently under-performs, they lack a lot of things whether it be talent, professionalism, character and also some fitness. What I don't think is that the squad not being fit enough to play Ole's "style" is the reason they were so utterly dog**** for the last 3 months of the season.

Under Ole? I don't think starting games was an issue, finishing them was.

Under Jose the tactical set up was far more defensive and conservative - which is why I think fitness was an issue - the players were trained to play high tempo high press, they were trained to sit and contain.

Haller doing medicals for West Ham today. Saying he's still talking to another PL club too. Know he looked a good Lukaku replacement option :/

This is what happens when you dither around as we love to do. Tielemans wasnt arsèd waiting around for us either.

pjohnson wrote: »
    This is what happens when you dither around as we love to do. Tielemans wasnt arsèd waiting around for us either.

Not saying I disagree, but I'd imagine they are reluctant to move for either till Pogba or Lukaku goes, and it seems the clubs they've been linked with are slow to actually put in bids.

If, for instance, news is trye Inter are now offering 60m & add ons, I'd imagine business there will start moving quicker.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement