Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

bangkok wrote: »
    When do the players vote for it?

I guess they have short term memories and and voted for him during his hot streak. There is a perception that he is better than he is among a lot, (equally a perception he is worse than he is too), but he doesn't deserve to be in that team of the year.

Silva or NDidi would've been better, and a few others to boot.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Cant agree with this - it certainly didnt look like it for the first goal last night.

He was left utterly exposed by the left midfielder in the team for the umpteenth time. He gets no support when Pogba plays on the left of a three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

MaceFace wrote: »
    I'd argue that is a huge Ole problem. If his statements have resulted in the team giving up, then it was a mistake. He said early on that a number of players needed to up their games and then shortly after said a number of players wouldn't be there in the future. He should have approached it differently - saying that the team and players were short of confidence and fitness and suggested they would see through the season and evaluate where things are in May.

Now, with his hard line approach

You seem to forget that Mourinho tried both the hardline and the softly softly approach at various stages, neither works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

We needed two centre midfielders last Summer. We bought one which hasn't worked out. We've sold Fellaini, likely to lose Herrera, possibly could lose Pogba too, and Matic looks done, to be frank.

By my count that leaves us needing 2/3 at a minimum but as much as 4/5. Now I doubt if the club would be so inept as to allow all of those players to leave but yet again CM is in need of some serious work. It's arguably been our problem position now for 15 odd years.

If we're to get any sort of consistent good results from this squad we need to look at a proper solid rebuild. i.e. spend money in positions like CB, holding midfield, and then add creative pieces around that. Buying what were some nice footballers but never the footballer hasn't worked out and more shortcuts won't work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Weepsie wrote: »
    He was left utterly exposed by the left midfielder in the team for the umpteenth time. He gets no support when Pogba plays on the left of a three.

It wasn't like he was overloaded, he was one v one with Silva and stood off him. Closing down players and stopping shots and crosses are basic things that this team just arent doing at the moment, and its costing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

I think it very much remains to be seen whether Ole is up to the job but at this point it is inarguable whether the players are up to it.

and he already looks back in poor condition.

I wondered if I was the only one to think that, I thought he looked heavy last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭letsgo2018

There are too many changes required to other positions in the team to sell Pogba and De Gea this summer . At a minimum we need a right back centre halve right winger central midfielder and striker. We should sell lukaku and martial because lukaku isn't good enough and martial doesn't have the character to succeed at the club . Ultimately to be as good as city and Liverpool is probably going to require changes to 9 first team players. I'd only see Rashford and De Gea in a future title winning United team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Does anyone else think reverting to 352 for next season would make the rebuild a little easier in the short-term

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

letsgo2018 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think reverting to 352 for next season would make the rebuild a little easier in the short-term

It would probably mean we need 3 centre backs instead of 2!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

No matter what I still believe

I just hope to god we get the deadwood out in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Sure if Ole really is Fergies football son then he will be well up for a good clearout, Fergie loved a good clearout.

The thing is though Fergie was then afforded a couple of years to rebuild each new team, will Ole be afforded same with the fickle modern fan?

Out of curiosity I just searched SAF sales, he sold Whiteside and McGrath within 2 months of eachother, in summer 1989, even though there was no transfer window then. Perhaps the first reboot he had...to get rid of the drinking culture even though he was letting 2 class players go. He let a few other senior players go roughly around this time also, eg Olsen and Davenport.

Then you had the Co92 reboot where he let Ince, Hughes and Kanchelskis go in one swoop in '95. And on it went.

Not sure if we will see the 10 or 11 outgoings some lads want though!!!!

Interesting sidenote, I see Paul Ince is the 8th biggest transfer fee we have received for a player....that was 1995, that's mad Ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Pro: It would make up for our lack of central midfielders
    Con: It would increase our need for decent central defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

No matter what I still believe

I just hope to god we get the deadwood out in the summer

It’s the hope that kills me! :)

pjohnson wrote: »
    Pro: It would make up for our lack of central midfielders
    Con: It would increase our need for decent central defenders.

It would also make up for the need for wing forwards . We've needed a right winger for years and martial isn't doing it on the left

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

That Fletcher clip is interesting in the context of the stories yesterday that the club are looking to bring him back in.

Ferguson sold seemingly brilliant players of the time routinely for the good of the group.

To name a few......

Van Nistlerooy
    Beckham
    Keane
    Hughes
    Ince

Would still leave us with the same core issues, albeit slightly shift the weight of them.

That and we don't have the CM's to play 352 effectively imo. They need a higher work rate in that formation and our so called "better" CM's that we own right now don't have the legs and the ones that do have the legs don't really have the quality.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    That Fletcher clip is interesting in the context of the stories yesterday that the club are looking to bring him back in.

Would rather see some fresh ideas being brought into the club tbh

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Would rather see some fresh ideas being brought into the club tbh

Didn’t he just suggest a fresh idea?

GSPfan wrote: »
    Didn’t he just suggest a fresh idea?

What? Buying good, young players??

Truly ground-breaking stuff. Are we ignoring that every club does that including ourselves?

Populating the club with former players isn't suddenly going to make the good times roll again.

What? Buying good, young players??

Truly ground-breaking stuff. Are we ignoring that every club does that?

Populating the club with former players isn't suddenly going to make the good times roll again.

Give me an example of a fresh new idea then? And don’t bother saying you don’t know because you seem to know enough to shít on his idea.

Give me an example of a fresh new idea then? And don’t bother saying you don’t know because you seem to know enough to shít on his idea.

My point was it's not a fresh idea, get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Be honest folks do you really think Ole is the right man to see the biggest overhaul and rebuild job in your clubs history ?

I think he's way out of his depth. You were mad to not go for Poch or Simeone type. Woodward pulled a fast one giving him a 3 year deal before the season was even over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

5 signings, and incorporate Greendwood, Garner, Chong, Gomes and Tuanzebe

10 possible changes to the squad.

Gut the feckers.

Agree with this need.

I don't actually blame the players as the root problem, it was the club that created this mess with their poor decisions (LVG to Jose in particular).

They must start over now, they will have to accept the funds already spent are gone, that they need to move on players not contributing and if neccessary take a financial hit or accept the risk a player may improve elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

bangkok wrote: »
    Yep id say certain players have been told already they will be moved on in the summer and as a result training AND matches have been poor amd certain players are not bothered. Imagine going into training and about 6 or maybe more lads that are training know they wont be there after the summer. Id say they couldnt give a fu*k

Then they need to be dropped. I know what's replacing them isn't much better, but it would lay down a marker to those that remain, that no-one is above being put out of the team if they don't perform to the standard required, in training or in a match.

Where’s Mitch today?

@ Mitch - Was Endgame amazing? I’m afraid to see if you’ve commented anywhere else on it because I’m afraid of spoilers but give us a non spoiler review.

Out of 5 was it....

1/5 - Massimo Taibi
    2/5 - Diego Forlan
    3/5 - Juan Mata
    4/5 - Rio Ferdinand
    or
    5/5 - Christiano Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Even as a Pogba fan safe to say I'm surprised he was selected by the PFA in the team of the year.

No doubt a perfect topic to kick off the thread ;)

It wasn't a vintage year for midfielders tbh.

De Bruyne injured a lot, Eriksen not at his best. Kante played out of position.

Arsenal midfield? None of them stood out really.

Wijnaldum probably had a case to be included. Neves too.

That period from late December to Feb probably clinched it for Pogba.

• Advertisement

My point was it's not a fresh idea, get it?

So you want a fresh idea but have no clue what a fresh idea is? Just give me one fresh idea in football, just one.

Because United going after a bulk of youth talent who haven’t quite reached the general publics radar would be a fresh idea for United. Arguably Martial was an attempt to do that but Fletcher is suggesting to go all in on that idea, to do that on mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ricero wrote: »
    Be honest folks do you really think Ole is the right man to see the biggest overhaul and rebuild job in your clubs history ?

I think he's way out of his depth. You were mad to not go for Poch or Simeone type. Woodward pulled a fast one giving him a 3 year deal before the season was even over.

He fúcked up badly by not letting the initial contract run to see how he would do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Where’s Mitch today?

@ Mitch - Was Endgame amazing? I’m afraid to see if you’ve commented anywhere else on it because I’m afraid of spoilers but give us a non spoiler review.

Out of 5 was it....

1/5 - Massimo Taibi
    2/5 - Diego Forlan
    3/5 - Juan Mata
    4/5 - Rio Ferdinand
    or
    5/5 - Christiano Ronaldo

Rio.

So you want a fresh idea but have no clue what a fresh idea is? Just give me one fresh idea in football, just one.

Because United going after a bulk of youth talent who haven’t quite reached the general publics radar would be a fresh idea for United. Arguably Martial was an attempt to do that but Fletcher is suggesting to go all in on that idea, to do that on mass.

How is it a fresh idea for United? It's barely an idea. What age was Lindelof when he was bought? Bailly? Shaw? Fred was 25? Lukaku 23? Pogba? Martial you mentioned at least.

There's a bit more to it than buying young players with good reputations.

But feel free to keep digging that hole.

How is it a fresh idea for United? It's barely an idea. What age was Lindelof when he was bought? Bailly? Shaw? Fred was 25? Lukaku 23? Pogba? Martial you mentioned at least.

There's a bit more to it than buying young players with good reputations.

But feel free to keep digging that hole.

You’re deflecting.... gimme a fresh idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

ricero wrote: »

Two completely different managers. Why would United want Simeone when he plays defensive football like Jose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

paulbok wrote: »
    Then they need to be dropped. I know what's replacing them isn't much better, but it would lay down a marker to those that remain, that no-one is above being put out of the team if they don't perform to the standard required, in training or in a match.

Id say they are dropped or not playing

Valencia
    Rojo
    Herrera
    Sanchez
    Darmian (apart from last night)
    Lukaku (maybe)
    Bailly

You’re deflecting.... gimme a fresh idea?

How am I deflecting?

You said that Darren Fletcher was bringing fresh new ideas to the world of football by suggesting in a 60 second sound bite that clubs should buy good, young players in order to build a team.

I replied stating how that's something quite a lot of clubs, including ourselves, already do as well as how simplistic an "idea" it is.

But instead of replying to that you've somehow decided that I should be the one to fix United?

Keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Where’s Mitch today?

Out of 5 was it....

1/5 - Massimo Taibi
    2/5 - Diego Forlan
    3/5 - Juan Mata
    4/5 - Rio Ferdinand
    or
    5/5 - Christiano Ronaldo

How the fck is Forlan a 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Lukaku "playing serie A would be a dream"

On recent form buddy, keep dreaming. Unless chievo are stuck

How am I deflecting?

You said that Darren Fletcher was bringing fresh new ideas to the world of football by suggesting in a 60 second sound bite that clubs should buy good, young players in order to build a team.

I replied stating how that's something quite a lot of clubs, including ourselves, already do as well as how simplistic an "idea" it is.

But instead of replying to that you've somehow decided that I should be the one to fix United?

Keep it up.

But i asked you first for one fresh idea. Just throw anything out there, just anything, it doesn’t even have to be good. Just one?

limnam wrote: »
    Lukaku "playing serie A would be a dream"

On recent form buddy, keep dreaming. Unless chievo are stuck

Never have I been happier to hear a player trying to drum up transfer interest in themselves.

But i asked you first for one fresh idea. Just throw anything out there, just anything, it doesn’t even have to be good. Just one?

But that's not exactly what we were talking about was it?

My saying that the club should maybe be looking to hire people other than former staff members and that Darren Fletcher didn't state any new or "fresh" ideas in that soundbite doesn't somehow mean I have to give you any.

Telling me how his idea was "fresh" would be a better go at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Where’s Mitch today?

Out of 5 was it....

1/5 - Massimo Taibi
    2/5 - Diego Forlan
    3/5 - Juan Mata
    4/5 - Rio Ferdinand
    or
    5/5 - Christiano Ronaldo

I had to PM him for the review! Not an arsès roar of a hope in hell am I trying to search or look at any other review ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

Is this not what every single club in world football is doing?
    Chelsea have apparently dozens of the worlds best players farmed out on loan.

What would make Utd better at developing young generally unknown and unproven players into players that would be able to compete for titles?

• Advertisement

But that's not exactly what we were talking about was it?

My saying that the club should maybe be looking to hire people other than former staff members and that Darren Fletcher didn't state any new or "fresh" ideas in that soundbite doesn't somehow mean I have to give you any.

Telling me how his idea was "fresh" would be a better go at it.

I did, see below....

“Because United going after a bulk of youth talent who haven’t quite reached the general publics radar would be a fresh idea for United. Arguably Martial was an attempt to do that but Fletcher is suggesting to go all in on that idea, to do that on mass.”

Now where’s that fresh idea I asked you for? Please?

Chelsea have apparently dozens of the worlds best players farmed out on loan.

What would make Utd better at developing young generally unknown and unproven players into players that would be able to compete for titles?

They’d play them.

Its even been a policy strongly linked with Woodward for a while now, this whole idea of getting these top players before they break out. Fresh idea my arse.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I had to PM him for the review! Not an arsès roar of a hope in hell am I trying to search or look at any other review ha.

Ha. I’ve 24 hours before I see it and I’m wishing the hours away. Not drinking any water from tonight to make sure my tank is empty going in. 3 hours is a long time to be distracted if I start wanting to pee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭MaceFace

They’d play them.

Would they?

Just look at this list of Liverpools signings from 2003. I count 13 players ages 21 or below and despite many of them playing in the first team, none of them developed into players good enough to win titles.

You could pick any club and any year - a simple look at the players who play for their countries at U16, U17 and U18 rarely go on to have a career for a top club.

Look at the list of players who played in the Premiership before they turned 18 - same thing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement