Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Id agree with you Rashford needs help & United need a top class number 9

The only issues with Rashford is his contract ,
    He will be looking for mega money and a 4/5 year deal but I don't think he has earned that yet ,
    So its a tricky one to negotiate as you don't want to lose him for nothing but you don't want someone on massive wage who doesn't deserve it ,

I don't know if Ole will be changing us to a formation that a number 9 would help Rashford, rather than replace him.

I think Rashford could be brilliant in a two, working off a lead striker that can be a target and hold the ball up and play in to Rashford. Giroud would be a good example, imo.

But I don't think we are going to change to that formation.

Maybe if we get a right winger, we could move rashford to the left and have him playing as an inside forward/free from the left side. I dunno. Something there but not sure what Ole is planning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rashford is like Giggs was.

When Giggs made his breakthrough he was not regarded as the main man. He did not need to be considered that to be worthy of a starting spot.

Rashford should be a first 11 player at United. It is other areas if the team that need to be better to make the combination of players better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I'm not doubting Rashford potential but right now that's all it is and 100m is a lot of money. You might be able to buy a proven forward for that, one we desperately need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Rashford is more important to us than Lukaku and Martial, both are on around 250k.

You hand out silly contracts and this is what happens, Rashford’s agent might ask for 300k and look to settle somewhere between that and 200k and you can’t blame him at all.

Any source for Martial being on 250k?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

I wouldn't consider taking 100 million for Rashford. Sure Lukaku cost €80 million, money doesn't seem to go very far these days for decent strikers. Rashford's one of the few United players that seems to have the attitude and character you'd want in a team/squad.

We need to get more players like him, not ship out the ones we already have. Yeah he needs to improve, but he strikes me as a motivated individual that wants to get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

DM_7 wrote: »
    Rashford is like Giggs was.

When Giggs made his breakthrough he was not regarded as the main man. He did not need to be considered that to be worthy of a starting spot.

Rashford should be a first 11 player at United. It is other areas if the team that need to be better to make the combination of players better.

Giggs was miles better than Rashford at his age, Giggs was literally the best in Europe at his age when he came through,

At 20 Giggs got 17 goals in a season and was an old school left winger much further away from goals than Rashford plays ,

Rashford is talked about as a young superstar like Rooney , Owen , Fowler but they where all miles ahead of him at his age,

Don't get me wrong Rashford is good and has huge potential but he is defiantly overrated ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I'm not doubting Rashford potential but right now that's all it is and 100m is a lot of money. You might be able to buy a proven forward for that, one we desperately need.

Money in the bank is no good to united. The only thing that needs to be considered is whether or not rashford is good enough or has the potential to be good enough. He’s shown signs of it but he’s just not had an opportunity to flourish. No players have enhanced their reputation at united since SAF left, at some stage all fans have to accept the club and whatever goes on behind closed doors is the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

We're in the unfortunate position where you can make a good case to sell any player in the squad, fellas. That's how big of a rebuild is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Any source for Martial being on 250k?

Had a Google there and it Depends where you look really, there is a few going with 250k like sky sports and a few sensationalist red tops. The daily mail says 200 and the guardian doesnt say a figure in its initial report..

We wont see the true figures unless there is another leak really

astradave wrote: »
    Had a Google there and it Depends where you look really, there is a few going with 250k like sky sports and a few sensationalist red tops. The daily mail says 200 and the guardian doesnt say a figure in its initial report..

That's crazy money , only proven star's should be getting that ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Giggs was miles better than Rashford at his age, Giggs was literally the best in Europe at his age when he came through,

At 20 Giggs got 17 goals in a season and was an old school left winger much further away from goals than Rashford plays ,

Rashford is talked about as a young superstar like Rooney , Owen , Fowler but they where all miles ahead of him at his age,

Don't get me wrong Rashford is good and has huge potential but he is defiantly overrated ,

I guarantee you he would look a lot better if he was playing in those sides

Who overrates him all the posts here this morning are about him having potential to be a superstar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

The wages conversation is trickier as the money that has already been handed out to absolute dross skews every other discussion. Of course Rashford's agent is going to look for as much as possible and who can blame him.

United will obviously have to draw a line somewhere with his wage and if that means Rashford leaves as he's not happy with the offer, so be it. The club can't be continuously bent over a barrel or things will never change. However, I have a feeling Rashford would much rather stay at United and so if the club's offer is reasonable and commensurate with the wages offered/given to similarly talented young players elsewhere that he would sign and stay.

He needs to be rewarded for his progression but he can't be given a contract that signals he's made it to the top as that is the culture at United that needs to change.

Do I trust the people at United to handle that delicate balancing act? Not a chance!

Ryan Giggs and Rooney had the pleasure of being groomed by SAF. United won the league when Giggs was 20 but for the next few seasons Giggs was wrapped in cotton wool a lot. Rooney was a massive problem with stories of riding grannies and prob would of ended up as Gazza 2 had he not had SAF to keep him on a short leash.

Rashford is playing in a team where some fans and the club hierarchy deludedly think should be challanging for league honors. So the expectations are disproportionate to what should realistically be expected. From a financial perspective the club should be doing better but the problems and terrible mismanagement by the owners/Woodward are putting more pressure on the squad.

The fact that united need rashford in the starting 11 tells its own story. Look at Jesus at City or even half the city bench that would walk onto United’s starting team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

The biggest issue with rashford for me is i think he constantly makes the wrong decision and is too selfish not necessarily a bad thing but hes not backing it up with finishing a chance but i wouldnt sell him as there is potential there

I think buying a proven forward for that money is more difficult that people would think. Icardi will go for that, imo. Kane would be twice that.

on top of that, I don't think selling Rashford and replacing him with a 100m forward really will get us anywhere different. We create little and we plod around the pitch. We could put Kane up fron and we'd still see similar problems. Maybe he scores a goal or two more, but the problem is chance creation imo. I'd be looking at improving the attacking and creative outlets before I looked to replace Rashford. I just don't understand how it could be a priority or a problem people want to create.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Drumpot wrote: »
    The fact that united need rashford in the starting 11 tells its own story. Look at Jesus at City or even half the city bench that would walk onto United’s starting team...

Not to beat a dead horse, but the rotation of Rashford and Martial in and out of the side was far better for his development than this current over-reliance on him as the main striker. He is struggling, and of course this means the team is struggling as they aren't getting enough of a goal return.

It also says a lot about Martial that Rashford has so easily taken that striking position ahead of him.

Giggs was in a great team, double winning team that also got to the league cup final, he was important to the team but not the main man which is why I brought in the comparison about their roles.

Rashford is in a team performing way below that level. Without question he is good enough to be part of a strong side.

DM_7 wrote: »
    Giggs was in a great team, double winning team that also got to the league cup final, he was important to the team but not the main man which is why I brought in the comparison about their roles.

Rashford is in a team performing way below that level. Without question he is good enough to be part of a strong side.

I also think he good enough to be part of a winning squad but not to be United number 9 now ,

Sure look at Lakaku he was scoring way more goals than Rashford for worse teams at his age, a

He continues to score more goals than Rashford and he isn't considered good enough ,

As said Rashford is good young talent but he is not good enough currently to be United number 9 , I reckon if he wasn't a local lad that wouldn't even be a debate

I think buying a proven forward for that money is more difficult that people would think. Icardi will go for that, imo. Kane would be twice that.

on top of that, I don't think selling Rashford and replacing him with a 100m forward really will get us anywhere different. We create little and we plod around the pitch. We could put Kane up fron and we'd still see similar problems. Maybe he scores a goal or two more, but the problem is chance creation imo. I'd be looking at improving the attacking and creative outlets before I looked to replace Rashford. I just don't understand how it could be a priority or a problem people want to create.

Yes, Rashford only becomes an issue when he is the weak link, right now so many forwards are ahead in the need to be replaced category. If United are ever good enough that Rashford could be a focus to improve upon then the club would be in a really great place.

United forwards to improve upon are: Lingard, Sanchez, Mata, Lukaku.

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    Ryan Giggs and Rooney had the pleasure of being groomed by SAF. United won the league when Giggs was 20 but for the next few seasons Giggs was wrapped in cotton wool a lot. Rooney was a massive problem with stories of riding grannies and prob would of ended up as Gazza 2 had he not had SAF to keep him on a short leash.

Rashford is playing in a team where some fans and the club hierarchy deludedly think should be challanging for league honors. So the expectations are disproportionate to what should realistically be expected. From a financial perspective the club should be doing better but the problems and terrible mismanagement by the owners/Woodward are putting more pressure on the squad.

I hear what you are saying and it makes sense and I agree/........... but Rashford is not nearly as talented as Giggs or Rooney at his age,

People seem to forget just how good the Giggs,Rooneys,Owens Fowlers where at that age ,

astradave wrote: »

Yeah I had a look myself. Seems a bit high to me for a player that is in and out of the first team.

I hear what you are saying and it makes sense and I agree/........... but Rashford is not nearly as talented as Giggs or Rooney at his age,

People seem to forget just how good the Giggs,Rooneys,Owens Fowlers where at that age ,

Look at how long Rooney, Fowler and Owens careers lasted. Sometimes the brightest stars burn out quicker. I’d also argue that maybe up to 20 or 21 Rooney looked as good if not better then Ronaldo at the same age. The progress of talent plays a massive role in where they are by their peak years. Being English didn’t help young players pretty much up until southgate took over.

In short I think if rashford can be handled right he can still be a top class player. I think he has the attributes but is at the wrong club to be nurtured and to flourish. No players flourish at this man united setup, young or old! The toxicity of the club is even spreading to DDG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Yeah I had a look myself. Seems a bit high to me for a player that is in and out of the first team.

The United wage structure is truly and utterly broken and it won't be fixed unless we purge the whole squad.

We are now relying on paying high wages to get players to come here or stay instead them coming to a winning team. That creates a problem in itself and a team of mercenaries.

I also think he good enough to be part of a winning squad but not to be United number 9 now ,

Sure look at Lakaku he was scoring way more goals than Rashford for worse teams at his age, a

He continues to score more goals than Rashford and he isn't considered good enough ,

As said Rashford is good young talent but he is not good enough currently to be United number 9 , I reckon if he wasn't a local lad that wouldn't even be a debate

He has not really played as a number 9 in his career on a regular basis. I don't think his role in a strong United side would be as the chief goal scorer. I regard him as a wide forward or second striker.

Local lad has nothing to do with it other than that is how he ended up at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

They went over the managers head to offer him this though so that clearly didn't come into their thinking.

• Advertisement

Liam O wrote: »
    They went over the managers head to offer him this though so that clearly didn't come into their thinking.

Which manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

There's literally no proven forwards around. Nothing wrong with Rashford that can't be fixed with a creative functioning midfield behind him that moves the ball quickly that doesn't include Pogba.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Man United plot Christian Eriksen move as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer puts Tottenham star at heart of summer rebuild [Dan Kilpatrick, LES]

Pretty reliable source for Spurs news too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Man United plot Christian Eriksen move as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer puts Tottenham star at heart of summer rebuild [Dan Kilpatrick, LES]

Spurs want 130m. No thanks

bangkok wrote: »
    Spurs want 130m. No thanks

How much do you think Pogba's worth? ;)

Not having a go at you either in saying that btw but that's the role he'd be brought in to play. We'd pay whatever we sold Pogba for plus 10/20 million if it played out the way these things usually do.

Incidentally I was just thinking about this the other day too, and if you were to swap Pogba and Eriksen right now I don't think he'd look near as good as he does for Tottenham. He'd struggle with how bad we are at winning possession and some of the nonsensical movement ahead of him.

EDIT: I should add that I don't think we have a chance of getting him either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Going into the last year of his contract isn't he? Would be gettable if top 4 is achieved I'd say and maybe even without

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Rojo on 160 k
    Enough said

Liam O wrote: »
    Going into the last year of his contract isn't he? Would be gettable if top 4 is achieved I'd say and maybe even without

He is. Can't see him choosing to join a side in need of a major rebuild though if he does leave. We're further away than Spurs are in challenging for anything.

Madrid cant buy everyone, Barcelona arent overly flush with cash, City dont need him not too many options for him if he leaves Us and Psg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

"With Roy, I’ve always had a great relationship with him and I value his opinion very highly," Solskjaer said. "We played together for many years and he’s a Man United guy. He hurts just as much as anyone else connected with the club.

"We’re so far behind City and it’s my job that when we come back in pre-season that I have the right characters in and around the club because it should never be allowed.

"When you’re at Man United, the highlight will be on you and you’ve got to make sure you come into work every single day with the effort like today. That’s your duty."

Hopefully penny is dropping at last in the club

Don't think it matters if we want him. Spurs won't want to sell. If they do decide to sell we won't be the only team interested, and the other teams interested will be able to offer him far better playing conditions.

Its a dead in the water dream.

If United spend any time trying to do it.... its surely just wasted time that will ultimately hurt the side cause we will miss out on deals we could do.

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Rojo on 160 k
    Enough said

Stating a lie.
    Enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I’ve seen it, and I disagree with Mitch. Its a Christiano Ronaldo.

GSPfan wrote: »

Took me a few seconds.

I guess I just expect more of my movies....:eek::D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The last 30ish minutes are basically the CL '99 final 3 minutes.

Hook it in my veins.

• Advertisement

Took me a few seconds.

I guess I just expect more of my movies....:eek::D:pac:

Your satisfaction level is definitely set higher than most. I can tell that from years of reading your thoughts here! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

WE spend any time on this, it will be a complete waste of time. Ramos and Fabregas come to mind. He's out of our league at the moment

pjohnson wrote: »
    The last 30ish minutes are basically the CL '99 final 3 minutes.

Hook it in my veins.

I’m home now about 30 minutes and my mind is still racing. I loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Your satisfaction level is definitely set higher than most. I can tell that from years of reading your thoughts here! :)

Tbf thats why I pm'd for his thoughts. He is strict but fair. He'd call it Taibi if it deserved it.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Tbf thats why I pm'd for his thoughts. He is strict but fair. He'd call it Taibi if it deserved it.

In fairness, a movie with Cap in it is never going to be even a Forlan!

If we are going to spend a fortune on an unattainable player from a premier league club then let’s throw money now at Wolves for Ruben Neves. His value is going to sky rocket if he has another season like this. City will be all over him at some stage.

If we are going to spend a fortune on an unattainable player from a premier league club then let’s throw money now at Wolves for Ruben Neves. His value is going to sky rocket if he has another season like this. City will be all over him at some stage.

Was thinking about this earlier - a double move for Neves and Doherty (if we can't get the Palace lad) would be a good shout imo. I'd see Neves as a very different type of signing to Eriksen though - i'd see Neves playing far deeper. Different roles, for me.

In fairness, a movie with Cap in it is never going to be even a Forlan!

Thor Ragnorak, Winter Soldier, and now Endgame are Christiano Ronaldo’s.

Civil War, Avengers Assemble, Infinity War, Iron Man are Rio Ferdinand.

Thor Ragnorak, Winter Soldier, and now Endgame are Christiano Ronaldo’s.

Civil War, Avengers Assemble, Infinity War, Iron Man are Rio Ferdinand.

Civil War has the bicep shot. Ronaldo.:D

• Advertisement

Was thinking about this earlier - a double move for Neves and Doherty (if we can't get the Palace lad) would be a good shout imo. I'd see Neves as a very different type of signing to Eriksen though - i'd see Neves playing far deeper. Different roles, for me.

You’d have to believe that the selling point for these players moving to Wolves was that they won’t stand in their way to get moves to bigger clubs?

Now I’m not saying Ruben Neves is sitting there hoping to get a move to this current Manchester United team but I would think Wolves would probably begrudgingly consider a sale. The fact the agent (Jorge Mendes i think) would benefit from a sale, and he was apparently instrumental in bringing these players in, you would think it’s possible.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement