Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2019/2020

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Anyone seen the twitter posts about Jeff Bezos (Amazon owner) bidding for Utd. I got excited for a second until I couldn’t find any evidence it’s a true story. That’d be brilliant though for someone like him to buy us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

GSPfan wrote: »
    Anyone seen the twitter posts about Jeff Bezos (Amazon owner) bidding for Utd. I got excited for a second until I couldn’t find any evidence it’s a true story. That’d be brilliant though for someone like him to buy us.

Hes a United fan apparently but sadly the tweets are referring to a New York Times article, but no article at all in the NYT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

astradave wrote: »
    Hes a United fan apparently but sadly the tweets are referring to a New York Times article, but no article at all in the NYT

Maybe United are going to be sold on Amazon. Prime members only though.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

potential 4-5 yrs with the supposed money he wants for a 30yr old in August, PSG more money than sense

I don't blame Ander for wanting more money but pretty happy utd aren't going down the route to match it, we should be buying much better players than Herrera tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Headshot wrote: »
    potential 4-5 yrs with the supposed money he wants for a 30yr old in August, PSG more money than sense

I don't blame Ander for wanting more money but pretty happy utd aren't going down the route to match it, we should be buying much better players than Herrera tbh

should be, but eh, well, I dunno. We'll probably bring Scholes out of retirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

It really feels like the Glazers are ready to sell the way they have tightened the purse strings lately but it’s a dream at this point in time. I’d love to see them gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

should be, but eh, well, I dunno. We'll probably bring Scholes out of retirement.

Scholes came out of retirement himself and wanted to play as he said he was extremely fit still and retired too soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Agree!! Think the board should a lot more cautious around throwing out massive wages for players going into their 30s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

I see Neymar got a 3 match Euro ban after his outburst at the officials following the United defeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

What has it got to do with Liverpool ?
    Literally the only time I mentioned them was to say Eriksen would NOT join Liverpool either ?
    Infact its been decades since Liverpool singed a top name in there prime ? I have never claimed other wise

But since you brought them up there currently on course to have the 3rd highest points tally in Prem history and are in there second champion league semi final in 2 years because of investing properly in a squad

I'm under no illusion that there not a big name team in Europe ,
    They don't attract the big name payers in there primes but thankfully they realised this and have start to build a great squad from promising players that they have made into stars

Infact you kind sum up my argument instead of United chasing people like Eriksen who are unattainable they should buy young promising players and make there own super star like they used to,

Fair enough. All valid points. I was too quick to shoot from the hip. Apologies.

I'm probably a bit bitter at the moment:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

What has it got to do with Liverpool ?
    Literally the only time I mentioned them was to say Eriksen would NOT join Liverpool either ?
    Infact its been decades since Liverpool singed a top name in there prime ? I have never claimed other wise

But since you brought them up there currently on course to have the 3rd highest points tally in Prem history and are in there second champion league semi final in 2 years because of investing properly in a squad

I'm under no illusion that there not a big name team in Europe ,
    They don't attract the big name payers in there primes but thankfully they realised this and have start to build a great squad from promising players that they have made into stars

Infact you kind sum up my argument instead of United chasing people like Eriksen who are unattainable they should buy young promising players and make there own super star like they used to,

Fair enough. All valid points. I was too quick to shoot from the hip. Apologies.

I'm probably a bit bitter at the moment:)

No problem , nice to see poster who can revaluate a post ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I am a United fan, but...

Average Units Fan (auf) Expectation:
    United are the best team in the land. If we don't win, we'll come 2nd.

Reality:
    United are in the top 6 teams in the Premiership, with long standing issues in organisational infrastructure and a bloated wage bill.

AUF Transfer Requirement:
    We can get the best players in the world who shouldn't ask for much because we're United. They should be honoured.

Reality:
    United have to pay world leading wages to attract star names. This has distorted the wage structure, meaning they also must pay squad players top level wages to avoid disruption.

AUF Perception of the Youth Setup:
    We have the most productive youth setup in the world, meaning we don't always have to buy the best talent.

Reality:
    We have the most productive youth setup in the Premier League, but that's mainly because our players move to lower level teams and become important squad members there. The few who break into our 1st team are held up as messiah's and then understandably demand to paid commensurably with their peers, whoch is too much.

AUF Season Goals:
    We should win. EVERYTHING. We always do, mostly.

Reality:
    The squad is doing well to be top 6. Wholesale chamge is required to realistically challenge with consistency, but one off runs in cups or a season here or there challenging will happen. Too much reliance on our historical reputation is currently holding back meaningful development.

AUF Belief:
    Our bad results is because of Pogba/ Mourinho/ Ole/ Woodward/ Sanchez's salary/ lack of character/ Jones's medical costs/ AN Other.

Reality:
    All of this is true. Until the overall system is overhauled, any chamge in individual is superfluous, as the overall system is fcuked. But focussing on a specific issue is far easier than accepting a project that might need a decade, isn't it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Reality:
    United are in the top 6 teams in the Premiership, with long standing issues in organisational infrastructure and a bloated wage bill.

We can get the best players in the world who shouldn't ask for much because we're United. They should be honoured.

Reality:
    United have to pay world leading wages to attract star names. This has distorted the wage structure, meaning they also must pay squad players top level wages to avoid disruption.

We have the most productive youth setup in the world, meaning we don't always have to buy the best talent.

Reality:
    We have the most productive youth setup in the Premier League, but that's mainly because our players move to lower level teams and become important squad members there. The few who break into our 1st team are held up as messiah's and then understandably demand to paid commensurably with their peers, whoch is too much.

AUF Season Goals:

Reality:
    The squad is doing well to be top 6. Wholesale chamge is required to realistically challenge with consistency, but one off runs in cups or a season here or there challenging will happen. Too much reliance on our historical reputation is currently holding back meaningful development.

AUF Belief:
    Our bad results is because of Pogba/ Mourinho/ Ole/ Woodward/ Sanchez's salary/ lack of character/ Jones's medical costs/ AN Other.

Reality:
    All of this is true. Until the overall system is overhauled, any chamge in individual is superfluous, as the overall system is fcuked. But focussing on a specific issue is far easier than accepting a project that might need a decade, isn't it?

I think at the start you have mixed up what the average fan wants with what you think they believe. Then moved onto random generalisation by picking certain points made then stacking them together to create your version of Frankensteins Monster aka Daves AUF Monster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Reality:

Reality:

Reality:

AUF Season Goals:

Reality:

AUF Belief:

Reality:

A lot of average? united fans have a pretty clear expectation on all fronts. There are some who are bewildered and still believe in what you posted as an AUF but they are few and far between, so wouldnt class them as the average fan.

Theres pages and pages of fans here on boards here who literly contradict most of what you say regarding us AUF

Are you an AUF btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

So we're auful?

• Advertisement

AidoEirE wrote: »
    A lot of average? united fans have a pretty clear expectation on all fronts. There are some who are bewildered and still believe in what you posted as an AUF but they are few and far between, so wouldnt class them as the average fan.

Theres pages and pages of fans here on boards here who literly contradict most of what you say regarding us AUF

Are you an AUF btw?

At the start of a match, there are definitely aspects I can identify with

J. Marston wrote: »
    So we're auful?

I am, at least.

DM_7 wrote: »
    I think at the start you have mixed up what the average fan wants with what you think they believe. Then moved onto random generalisation by picking certain points made then stacking them together to create your version of Frankensteins Monster aka Daves AUF Monster.

This is EXACTLY what I have done. I should stress that it is based on very little research, no polling of other fans, just reading of chatrooms such as this fine place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 144 ✭✭Marcus Rashford

As the saying goes, history doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes. The parallels with Liverpool are scary. For 1990, read 2013. And if one applies that timeline, in 2019, i.e. 1996, United are shallow and lazy lightweights walking out on the Wembley turf in white suits. Worryingly, that’s about where we are with this squad of misfits and mercenaries.

One of the biggest culls in the history of English football is needed this summer. Anyone who’s either unwilling or unable to get us back where we belong needs to go. I believe that Ole, Mike Phelan, and Michael Carrick have the conviction to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

As the saying goes, history doesn’t repeat itself, but it often rhymes. The parallels with Liverpool are scary. For 1990, read 2013. And if one applies that timeline, in 2019, i.e. 1996, United are shallow and lazy lightweights walking out on the Wembley turf in white suits. Worryingly, that’s about where we are with this squad of misfits and mercenaries.

One of the biggest culls in the history of English football is needed this summer. Anyone who’s either unwilling or unable to get us back where we belong needs to go. I believe that Ole, Mike Phelan, and Michael Carrick have the conviction to do it.

I think they do long term but the noises from Ole indicate it’ll be over a number of windows; more tweaking than culling unfortunately. I’m ok with that as long as the tweaks improve rather than continue the malaise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

sb0pngoc3ou21.jpg

I think they do long term but the noises from Ole indicate it’ll be over a number of windows; more tweaking than culling unfortunately. I’m ok with that as long as the tweaks improve rather than continue the malaise.

The signs are encouraging in that the problems are being acknowledged. Whilst a cull might be welcome, it’s probably not that practical. The Pogba issue is interesting in that he’s clearly immensely gifted but he’s not someone you’d want to be in the trenches with. I suspect that if you stuck him on the left of City’s midfield, he’d be unstoppable, but when we ask him to be “our guy”, he lets us down.

For what it’s worth, this summer I would try to buy Seamus Coleman, Toby Alderweirald, Rodrigo, Christian Eriksen, and Jadon Sancho, with a view to all of them slotting into the first team.

The signings would be funded by this year’s budget (presumably circa £100m) plus the sales of Paul Pogba, Alexis Sanchez, Nemanja Matic, Marcus Rojo, and Phil Jones.

First team of:

De Gea
    Coleman Alderweirald Lindelof Shaw
    McTominay Rodrigo Eriksen
    Sancho Rashford Martial

Coleman probably a controversial shout, but there for character as much as quality. Not a long term solution but one who gives Dalot time to develop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭tinpib

Yes, I was just comparing the Spice Boys in white suits to United myself the other day. And the parallels are scary for United fans.

My jaw nearly hit the floor when Johnny Evans was sold, it reminded me of when Souness sold Houghton and others. Completely needless, a player that still had a lot to contribute especially with Evra, Vidic and Rio all leaving round the same time. And not just Evans, that last winning squad was gutted a lot quicker than needed IMO, just like the Liverpool 1990 team.

I know that Houghton being a senior player was a threat to Souness in the dressing room so the situation isn't exactly the same but it is very similar.

Then you have the huge transfer fees that haven't worked out. Dean Saunders was a disaster, Collymore was meant to be the final piece, perhaps similar to Pogba or Sanchez and it didn't work. Although poor recruitment can happen at any club and is very difficult to get right.

I also think the appointment of Ole is similar to Roy Evans. There is at least some thinking of "let's go back to what we were doing when we were successful", even though perhaps there were better candidates out there. Roy was appointed 3.5 years after last league success, Ole as caretaker after 5.5.

Graeme Souness mentioned something the other night that resonated because it smacked of the United team of the mid-90s in particular. They looked to at least match their opponents for effort and desire...fighting fire with fire sometimes...then their superior quality would win out. This United team are a disgrace on that front. Too many Champagne Charlie’s strutting around like they’re Ronaldo.

I like the idea of modeling ourselves on the All Blacks and giving each and every player a Manchester United bible/code when they join the first team squad. Get Sir Bobby and Sir Alex to present them. Keep its contents secret. Be humble and respectful. Hide your light under a bushel. Never sign a player who’s not a good person. Rule No 1 is that we will never be outdone in terms of effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

The Manchester United Secret Bible... time to step away from the computer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Graeme Souness mentioned something the other night that resonated because it smacked of the United team of the mid-90s in particular. They looked to at least match their opponents for effort and desire...fighting fire with fire sometimes...then their superior quality would win out. This United team are a disgrace on that front. Too many Champagne Charlie’s strutting around like they’re Ronaldo.

I like the idea of modeling ourselves on the All Blacks and giving each and every player a Manchester United bible/code when they join the first team squad. Get Sir Bobby and Sir Alex to present them. Keep its contents secret. Be humble and respectful. Hide your light under a bushel. Never sign a player who’s not a good person. Rule No 1 is that we will never be outdone in terms of effort.

Unfortunately the number of player who fit that bill you could could on one hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Lord TSC wrote: »
    sb0pngoc3ou21.jpg

So hes the BEST walker in the PL. Add it to the stats.

Edit: covers a decent amount of ground while walking tbf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

First team of:

De Gea
    Coleman Alderweirald Lindelof Shaw
    McTominay Rodrigo Eriksen
    Sancho Rashford Martial

Coleman probably a controversial shout, but there for character as much as quality. Not a long term solution but one who gives Dalot time to develop.

That team while good is a Shadow of what were use too it is such a complex issue rebuilding.

On another note I wouldn't be surprised if we went along Andrew our last 3 games! God I've so much Beef with this team!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

pjohnson wrote: »
    So hes the BEST walker in the PL. Add it to the stats.

Edit: covers a decent amount of ground while walking tbf.

From what I read, the ammount of ground covered is helped by the fact he's played pretty much every game for us this season, as opposed to others who are in and out of the squad.

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    From what I read, the ammount of ground covered is helped by the fact he's played pretty much every game for us this season, as opposed to others who are in and out of the squad.

I don't think time under effort was important to Jose at all and he believed that winning with mimimal effort was best. Maybe he saw teams burn out at end of a season when they ran too much early on. Things have changed now and conditioning has moved on.

Certainly stats like that back up Ole's concerns on fitness. It takes time to build up the level of conditioning required and can't really be done mid-season.

We often see tehe complaint about trying or other teams outfighting but if fitness is a problem them we are seeing sharper players get ahead of players not able to match them purely in fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Throwing it out there
    Mata being linked with Ath Madrid
    Costa out of favour after long suspension
    Complete nutter but could be a legend at United
    Haven’t had a proven goal scorer since Rooney
    Would shake up the dressing room !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Throwing it out there

No thanks sure he'll be 31 this year

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Earlier in the season Man Utd were in the bottom 5 for distance covered by a team. I don't imagine it's improved too much. There's still very little in the way of pressure put on teams until they're in the United half, and even then it's so often a 1 v 1 situation with players all out of position.

Also, they have the joint worst defence in the top 10. They've conceded 50, which is the most they've ever done in the PL era. Only 4 times have they conceded more than 40 goals, and 3 of those were title winning seasons.

Last time they averaged over 2 shots per game was 2012/13. No one seems to want to take a chance, or decision making is just generally poor. There are some technically talented footballers in there, but few of them are in anyway tactically astute it seems.

Players to leave for me

Sanchez, even if it's free, just needs to be gone.
    Pogba. His headline stats (which are padded with penalties), cover up his deficiencies as a midfield player. He could be excellent with a different team around him, but you could build a great team with the money they could potentially get for him. Liverpool and Coutinho come to mind. They are a better team because of his leaving.
    Rojo.
    One of Jones/Smalling/Bailley, while those remaining are the backup option.
    Darmian is going anyway.
    I presume Herrera and Mata are going
    I'd consider selling Martial too if the fee was right. He's another super talented player who could be brilliant, but he his head often goes down. I'd love to see him hit his potential though.

I'd like sensible signings, players who will put it all out there, but also some excitement.

Alderweireld makes all the sense in the world at his price. But maybe he won't want to leave now, and maybe he has peaked.

Ndidi. He's been consistently excellent for Leicester and ably replaced Kante. He could be the base of the midfield for 10 years if he keeps progressing as he is given his age.

Right Wing. Could go nuts and got for Sancho, but don't think it's happening. Gerard Deulofeu would be an upgrade, but not as big an upgrade as anyone would like, but he scores goals (11 in 29 this season) and shouldn't take much adjusting. Maybe also Christian Pavon. He'll be signed by someone eventually, and either no adjust to European game, or be sold for double, so why not now.

Right Back? Would love it to be Wan-Bissaka, but another one I don't see happening. An experienced, competent head might be a better shout while Dalot comes along.

Left Back. Shaw is fine with a settled back 4, but he needs help from whomever is on the left of midfield/wing. Kieran Tierney or Sessegnon would offer cover/competition. I don't think Tierney would join to be a back up though. Sessegnon might, and he covers 2 positions.

I'd consider Mitrovic as a squad player and plan b, as Liverpool have with Shaquiri. I'd be giving Lukaku one more season and trying to play to his strengths when he was scoring 25 goals a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Throwing it out there

Shake up the dressing room in a bad way IMO

Need a Zlatan/Cantona esque personality, a nutter but a nutter who leads by example and a professional (bar the Palace incident). Costa is not this type of person/player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Surely United will look to move on Sanchez as a priority this summer even if they have the subsidize the majority of his wages? A player on that money with so little input has to be causing problems for contract negotiations and the general wage structure at the club.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Throwing it out there

Mata is out of contract too. Costa is not. Costa has not scored an awful lot either this season, he's also scored few goals for Madrid at all since going back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Throwing it out there

How is lukaku not a proven goal scorer????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

I really hope we seriously throw our hat in the ring to sign Declan Rice. He has such a great attitude, work ethic, technically solid and is surprisingly good positionally for someone so young. Any interviews ive seen he comes across as a grounded lad with his head screwed on. He would be a very very solid signing imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Get in

Now hold on West Ham

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

No one wants top 4 this season I swear.

Spurs have been scoring late winners for what feels like months now so I wouldn't get too giddy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Quandary wrote:
    I really hope we seriously throw our hat in the ring to sign Declan Rice. He has such a great attitude, work ethic, technically solid and is surprisingly good positionally for someone so young. Any interviews ive seen he comes across as a grounded lad with his head screwed on. He would be a very very solid signing imo.

Good player for sure. Cant like him after his switch of allegiance though.

That being said, United usually have a detestable fcuker (to other fans) in the team through the years. If Herrera is leaving there'll be an opening :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

Pity our goal difference is so ****

Quandary wrote: »

Obviously a skilled player and I think a key asset would be the personality to deal with pressure of a chunky price tag and the expectation that will come if he leaves West Ham.

I know City are mentioned but unless they sell he won't be sure of game time, I think that will be key for him.

I think United would offer him a starting spot right now, need a player like him so it would suit both player and club. Of the other top 6 sides I would say Liverpool don't need him, Arsenal wouldn't pay the fee when they have invested in Torreira and Guendouzi, Chelsea have Jorginho and Kante, West Ham would not sell to Spurs.

In the other side, he might want to stay longer at West Ham who are a good premier league side now with a very good manager, some good players around him and I expect he is enjoying his football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Get in

Now hold on West Ham

Makes no difference, we still wont catch them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

6th is where well finish. We are no threat in the race for top 4.

Beat Chelsea and it's all to play for. Can't believe I'm one of the positive ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I have never been disappointed when I watch Rice he just always seems to be in the right place to break up attacks I really hope we are in for him

How close 3rd to 6th is, that Spurs have lost 12 games adds a little perspective about how United could make improvements step by step.

That is if Woodward can actually stick with a medium term plan and resist the urge to spend big sums on some quick fixes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement