Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverfest 2019

• 25-04-2019 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

So Limerick flagship festival is coming up next weekend. The line up looks really impressive this year. I am delighted to see the potato market finally being used. The addition of the big wheel and art fair there really is a nice touch. The fidget feet aerial show also looks class.

What will you all be heading along too?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Weather permitting (kids) I should be there. Was fantastic last year apart from the council not closing off section of O'Connell St outside Penneys which was very cramped and busy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

I went 2 years ago and loved it! There is nothing in particular that I want to see - I'll just be going to soak up the atmosphere. Loved the jet ski displays 2 years ago! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Any info or timetables available online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭kingtut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Panormic Wheel is gone into the Potato Market. Always thought it odd the past couple of years when they had it for Paddy’s Day then took it down just before Riverfest. Good to see they figured out a way to have both this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

Is there any concert in the castle this year? Couldnt see anything for it

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Limerick91

No concert in the castle. There is one in the Milk Market, The Stunning and The Frank & Walters

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Tacklebox

Limerick91 wrote: »
    No concert in the castle. There is one in the Milk Market, The Stunning and The Frank & Walters

Is there a cover charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭gotasmoke

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

dave 27 wrote: »
    Is there any concert in the castle this year? Couldnt see anything for it

Not part of it but Dolan’s have a gig on that night in the market
    Can’t understand why the market isn’t used for Riverfest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭dave 27

bigpink wrote: »
    Not part of it but Dolan’s have a gig on that night in the market
    Can’t understand why the market isn’t used for Riverfest

Well dolans would hire out the venue to use, the market is being used as a concert venue at night while im sure during the day will be market stalls as per usual for the weekend too with the festival

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

dave 27 wrote: »
    Well dolans would hire out the venue to use, the market is being used as a concert venue at night while im sure during the day will be market stalls as per usual for the weekend too with the festival

Should be used for a food and drink area for the festival

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Bring back the Paddy Expo

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Bring back the Paddy Expo

Get 2FM to do a Beat on the Street one of the nights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

It's a pity Dolan's aren't a bit more adventurous with their lineup in the market and the castle. I know hermitage green , the coronas, Aslan etc are popular, but it's nearly the same stuff ever year. I know they have some heavy metal thing on in kjc btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

tototoe wrote: »
    It's a pity Dolan's aren't a bit more adventurous with their lineup in the market and the castle. I know hermitage green , the coronas, Aslan etc are popular, but it's nearly the same stuff ever year. I know they have some heavy metal thing on in kjc btw

Our biggest festival and not even one A list act in the town. Every year he trots out the same acts.. Has a vice like grip on venues around the town. I heard that he books all available slots in the market even if he has no intention of putting on a show. He has one of Ireland's longest running student nights DIE running monthly in the warehouse which is pretty much packed every month but has any of this transfered over to the students? Nope. Squeezing every last drop out of the Limerick music scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

Stab*City wrote: »
    Our biggest festival and not even one A list act in the town. Every year he trots out the same acts.. Has a vice like grip on venues around the town. I heard that he books all available slots in the market even if he has no intention of putting on a show. He has one of Ireland's longest running student nights DIE running monthly in the warehouse which is pretty much packed every month but has any of this transfered over to the students? Nope. Squeezing every last drop out of the Limerick music scene.

No idea how any of that works tbh or who books what or where, just the lineups are just boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Arrival

Would it be possible to organise a gig/festival in KJC without getting Dolan's involved? Like is the castle a venue that anyone could get in touch with to organise something, because it definitely needs to host more than pop 'rock' bands, there's more musical taste in Limerick than that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

No one is going to travel to Limerick for any of those bands.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

No one is going to travel to Limerick for any of those bands.

But they will travel to galway kilkee kilkenny etc? Rubbish comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Mr.H wrote: »
    But they will travel to galway kilkee kilkenny etc? Rubbish comment

Okay maybe they will. Seems a fairly boring lineup but then again, I'm easily bored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I see the Leader has the 2 most boring and outdated parts of riverfest on the front of their paper this am. Fashion Friday, with Celia Holman Lee and some model with two people from the leader for the bbq competition . There are so many great things going on over the weekend and yet this is how they choose to advertise it? Looks like no lessons were learnt from their atrocious coverage of our flagship festival last year.

Is it the same organisers? Closing the area around Arthurs Quay needs to be closed off to traffic otherwise it will become a cattle mart like it was last year. Sorry I dont think I will in around town if thats the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

tototoe wrote: »

HG are popular in Limerick, so guaranteed to draw a crowd. I wouldn't be a fan of any of those bands, but I suppose they'll appeal to most, young and old. With the running on, HG will appeal to the gym bunnies and sports jocks too. This kind of festival wouldn't be on my radar at all. It'll hardly be showcasing cutting edge music.

I personally dont get the fascination with HG to be honest for what is essentially folk rock, and I dont think they would have been as big had they not the Munster Rugby connection if I'm being totally honest.

I bet if you asked their fans, what other folk rock bands they listen to, I'd be very surprised if they even knew about any

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Great atmosphere so far. Hope the weather holds reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭djdunny

I feel like I’ve spent most of my Saturday spent in queues. The traffic to UL this morning was crazy and then an hour of a queue to receive the GLR race pack. The BBQ on the boardwalk looked really busy and weather did help. We then queued for 2 hours for the naval ship in the docks. I would advise anyone planning on visiting tomorrow to be there well before 2pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

djdunny wrote: »
    I feel like I’ve spent most of my Saturday spent in queues. The traffic to UL this morning was crazy and then an hour of a queue to receive the GLR race pack. The BBQ on the boardwalk looked really busy and weather did help. We then queued for 2 hours for the naval ship in the docks. I would advise anyone planning on visiting tomorrow to be there well before 2pm.

I was in town today around 2pm. Needed to go in anyway, but said I would take a stroll into the park while I was there.

Well I soon changed my mind when I saw the queue. I'm not exaggerating when I say the queue was 6 and 7 deep stretching off down the side of the park and round the back of the old Dunnes.
    Did a few bits around town and came back by the park again. This was about 2 hours later and it was just as bad. Absolutely crazy. Needless to say I just couldn't be bothered.

I had half thought about going to the naval ship either today or tomorrow, but having read your post there, I think I'll give it a skip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Yep, stood in the queue for about 10mins, and then decided we couldn't be bothered to wait any longer. Apparently security were saying to people 2hr wait timejust to get in in!!! Feck that.... I feel sorry for people with kids that were waiting for that length of time

Went for a wander along the boardwalk instead, and then for a pint. Twas lovely... Didn't even feel like we were in Limerick at all and not too crowded.

Riverfest is great, but its definitely got too big for Arthur's Quay Park! Bigger location needed next year I feel......

Advertisement