Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riverfest 2019

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The setup in Arthur's Quay park is poor.
    Who is going to a Riverside Festival to buy organic honey or garden plants?

As for the crane and the aerial display, it's a glorified baby mobile!
    I always find myself surprised that any event with public money involved in Limerick can manage to consistently find new lows to sink to.
    It's a glorified pound shop with a beer tap in there!

In the plus column this year in fairness are the fact that at least the BBQ'rs gave out some food to the spectators.

It really is unfortunate that our Riverside city for the most part, faces away from the river and ends up needing everything shoe horned in.
    Sooner the redevelopment works planned for the Riverside is underway the sooner this attempt at a festival can begin improving.

There really needs to be a focus on what this festival is.
    Is it a glorified tatt market, with whatever Riverside activities we can tack on?

Or is it an opportunity to embrace the river, highlight local talent musical, artistic or culinary...
    To showcase the good points of our town...

Or an opportunity for whichever events company has the contract this time out to milk a cash cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

banie01 wrote: »
    The setup in Arthur's Quay park is poor.
    Who is going to a Riverside Festival to buy organic honey or garden plants?

As for the crane and the aerial display, it's a glorified baby mobile!
    I always find myself surprised that any event with public money involved in Limerick can manage to consistently find new lows to sink to.
    It's a glorified pound shop with a beer tap in there!

In the plus column this year in fairness are the fact that at least the BBQ'rs gave out some food to the spectators.

It really is unfortunate that our Riverside city for the most part, faces away from the river and ends up needing everything shoe horned in.
    Sooner the redevelopment works planned for the Riverside is underway the sooner this attempt at a festival can begin improving.

There really needs to be a focus on what this festival is.
    Is it a glorified tatt market, with whatever Riverside activities we can tack on?

Or is it an opportunity to embrace the river, highlight local talent musical, artistic or culinary...
    To showcase the good points of our town...

Or an opportunity for whichever events company has the contract this time out to milk a cash cow.

Saw the big queues and abandoned the idea of going in. What are the stewards doing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Saw the big queues and abandoned the idea of going in. What are the stewards doing?

Panicking. At least the ones I saw were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

In some ways I was hoping to come on here and be disappointed that I missed out by not going in today. Looks like I was right to relax at home and stick on the BBQ.

Be great if they got things right, Riverfest has good potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,864 ✭✭✭✭banie01

In some ways I was hoping to come on here and be disappointed that I missed out by not going in today. Looks like I was right to relax at home and stick on the BBQ.

Be great if they got things right, Riverfest has good potential.

It really does, but another year another same old story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Traffic was mental according to the pictures, and I can't understand why the organisers didn't restrict cars from entering the quays and around Arthur's Quay, there's no need for it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Mc Love wrote: »
    Traffic was mental according to the pictures, and I can't understand why the organisers didn't restrict cars from entering the quays and around Arthur's Quay, there's no need for it

Ah Jesus they still doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Undoubtedly there were negatives associated with Saturday in Arthurs Quay re queuing etc. However, it was a wonderful day for and in the city. A really great buzz. I stood outside the Hunt and watched droves of people passing. Lots of happy families. The city crowded as it should be. Like many I avoided the park and had the burger and pint, for me in the Locke. Regardless of faults the Riverfest is a great weekend for limerick city, once the weather is reasonable. Many visitors to the city were delighted with the festivities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Thinking about heading to the fireworks tonight. Hoping to avoid the crowds though. Any suggestions on viewing points? Even away from the area. Im looking for a spot where you get a good view and can travel to by car. Possibly even stay in the car. We have a very little one so avoiding the crowd and close range noise would be the hope

Queues on the dock road were dangerous yesterday. People erratically crossing the road with cars driving full pelt. Nearly 3 hours queuing.

• Advertisement

I queued for my burger and chip in the Locke. ........for five minutes. Terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Queues on the dock road were dangerous yesterday. People erratically crossing the road with cars driving full pelt. Nearly 3 hours queuing.

Why were people queuing on the Dock Road for? Was the 3 hours wait for the food fest?

We didn't go in to the food part this year, on account of the wait last year. Popped into the fireworks last night, short but sweet.

Why were people queuing on the Dock Road for? Was the 3 hours wait for the food fest?

We didn't go in to the food part this year, on account of the wait last year. Popped into the fireworks last night, short but sweet.

For the ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Am having a cracking weekend so far. Undoubtedly the weather is going to make it hugely successful this year.

I was involved with planning some events so fortunately did not have to queue but the whole area down by Arthurs Quay is a mess. It is very clear that Riverfest has completely outgrown the small space that Arthurs Quay Park can provide and it absolutely does not need to packed into this small space. Honans Quay and Arthurs Quay have to be shut to traffic. Last night there was buses and taxis pulling up with crowds spilling out on to the road and cars whizzing by.

I love Riverfest and its been a wonderful weekend in the city. The festival has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years but traffic and cars down by Riverfestival Village and surrounds meant that it wasn't a place to linger, especially with smallies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭manna452121

Didn’t bother with it this year seems nothing has changed or improved

This year is superb

Glenomra wrote: »
    This year is superb

What have been the improvements and additions?

Sunshine

Sunshine

• Advertisement

Sunshine

bigpink wrote: »
    Glenomra wrote: »
    This year is superb

What have been the improvements and additions?

There has been lots of additions over the last two years and Riverfest has improved immensely in that time imo. The naval ship for the last two years has been a huge attraction. The zipwire and activities at Riverfest village also have been recent additions. There was the big wheel and art fair in the potato market. Also swims,boat rides and fishing in the river over the weekend. The street feast in Catherine Street today was really good.

Is it a perfect festival? Absolutely not but it's definitely moving in the right direction imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

A few tweaks would make it so much better. Closing the quays for the weekend to start. Even if just from Bedford Row.
    Getting the milk market more involved it was dead Sunday for the crowd that was in town and closed on Monday.
    I'd love to see some sort of street music festival.

The queue for Arthur's Quay were nuts as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

I know 2 people who tried to get into the market in A Quay, and the bouncer told them "you won't be getting in here tonight". Jaysus, it was hardly a pub or night club they were trying to get into!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

One major positive this year was the addition of the Sensory/Chill out area at the back of the Hunt Museum.
    As a parent of 2 kids with ASD this was very welcome. The whole setup down there was very well thought out and put together.
    I hope this becomes a regular thing from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

panda100 wrote: »
    Am having a cracking weekend so far. Undoubtedly the weather is going to make it hugely successful this year.

I was involved with planning some events so fortunately did not have to queue but the whole area down by Arthurs Quay is a mess. It is very clear that Riverfest has completely outgrown the small space that Arthurs Quay Park can provide and it absolutely does not need to packed into this small space. Honans Quay and Arthurs Quay have to be shut to traffic. Last night there was buses and taxis pulling up with crowds spilling out on to the road and cars whizzing by.

I love Riverfest and its been a wonderful weekend in the city. The festival has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years but traffic and cars down by Riverfestival Village and surrounds meant that it wasn't a place to linger, especially with smallies.
    while I agree with you the bottom line is it affects business's .i.e car parks, the bus services and other access they would all need to be compensated for the loss of closure of business.
    I really still dont understand why the park has to be closed off at all, you could still have controlled access with security of sorts in place but have it more open and accessible to all as you say having smallies especially with queues is a hard sell for many although a lot do turn up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

It should be opened up more and expanded out of the park and this only possible if the road circling it is closed off. It's one weekend in the year, I'm sure there could alternative arrangements made for car parks/bus services/emergency services etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

We really enjoyed the ferris wheel in the potato market some awesome views of Limerick in the sun, and also the stroll along the art stalls. Riverside village is a total joke though. They should separate the drinking part and family part. All that stuff squashed into that small park.

One major positive this year was the addition of the Sensory/Chill out area at the back of the Hunt Museum.
    As a parent of 2 kids with ASD this was very welcome. The whole setup down there was very well thought out and put together.
    I hope this becomes a regular thing from now on.

Yes that was a fantastic addition. I walked by and saw that it was being well used by families and children that I would know of with autism.

The art fair and big wheel in the potato market was probably my favourite new addition though. I would love to see this growing next year with food and drink vendors there also.

• Advertisement

panda100 wrote: »

Yes that was a fantastic addition. I walked by and saw that it was being well used by families and children that I would know of with autism.

The art fair and big wheel in the potato market was probably my favourite new addition though. I would love to see this growing next year with food and drink vendors there also.

i agree and use Michael Street for stalls as before. it would take most of the pressure off Arthur's Quay. Overall a success imo.

Advertisement