Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate Athlone, County Westmeath [2019]

Options
  • 25-04-2019 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi Guys,
    I appreciate if i can receive a genuine opinion about the place Athlone in County Westmeath.
    How much would you rate out of 10?
    Do you think its a nice place overall or in your opinion You weed seek elsewhere?
    Is it a rough place?
    Would it entertain and does it have what it takes to be far from the main cities like Cork/Dublin!?
    If you have an offer in cork and an offer in athlone, which one you pick? Becareful i am not looking to have more bars close to me but overall? I just want to get the feedback and see if Athlone would be a boring choice or not.
    Also, is it possible that in Cork you could possibly have better weather overall?
    Please fee free to provide nearby towns that can be a better choice to live and commute to Athlone.
    Thanks for your comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I'm from Athlone originally. I left the town 16 years ago. I currently live in a location where I had an opportunity to build a house with my wife.

If we didn't have that opportunity both of us would've been more than happy to settle in Athlone and raise a family there.

As a town it has everything I would want. Obviously it doesn't have a hospital but is well serviced by Ballinasloe and Tullamore in that regard.

Easy access to Galway/Dublin too.

I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ldsolare

I'm from Athlone originally. I left the town 16 years ago. I currently live in a location where I had an opportunity to build a house with my wife.

If we didn't have that opportunity both of us would've been more than happy to settle in Athlone and raise a family there.

As a town it has everything I would want. Obviously it doesn't have a hospital but is well serviced by Ballinasloe and Tullamore in that regard.

Easy access to Galway/Dublin too.

I'd give it an 8 out of 10.

Thanks for your feedback. Would you choose cork over Athlone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

ldsolare wrote: »
    Thanks for your feedback. Would you choose cork over Athlone?

Still have a lot of friends and family in Athlone. I'm still very familiar with Athlone so it's hard to detach.

I think we all still need Dublin though, in some form be it airport, hospitals, concerts etc so Athlone still wins for proximity to Dublin. Many of my friends are in Dublin too.

You can't ignore economic factors - there may be more opportunities in Cork with it being a city but then many people commute to Dublin/Galway from Athlone on a daily basis.

If I had to pick though, I'd choose Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ldsolare

Hi again thanks for the feedback. Regarding Hospital, I am unsure if at least there is a primary care center which is run by state or not. It is good to know if there is one because i sometime have difficulty to understand which is private and which is not.
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭veryangryman

ldsolare wrote: »
    Hi again thanks for the feedback. Regarding Hospital, I am unsure if at least there is a primary care center which is run by state or not. It is good to know if there is one because i sometime have difficulty to understand which is private and which is not.
    Thanks in advance.

2 of them. One for Westmeath side, on for Roscommon side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Still have a lot of friends and family in Athlone. I'm still very familiar with Athlone so it's hard to detach.

I think we all still need Dublin though, in some form be it airport, hospitals, concerts etc so Athlone still wins for proximity to Dublin. Many of my friends are in Dublin too.

You can't ignore economic factors - there may be more opportunities in Cork with it being a city but then many people commute to Dublin/Galway from Athlone on a daily basis.

If I had to pick though, I'd choose Athlone.

I work in a US Multinational in Athlone and you would be surprised how many Commute daily from Galway and other such places. We even have people commuting from West Dublin....

Advertisement