Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old fuse board

Options
  • 25-04-2019 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Hi Our house is a house built in the early 80s.
    We still have an old fuse board for most of the house. Our main fuse 63 A blew last year and again this year. Also we had a power cut this week and when I checked main fuse it was hot and the top was black. This power cut was actually an ESB outage but I am a bit worried that the fuse was hot.
    I have put in electric showers about ten years ago so and they are on a new switch system.
    I am thinking I should get the whole board re-done . What type of questions should I be asking of the electrician ?
    What kind of cost would be involved ?
    Any other advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Get three quotes from registered electricians.
    Decide beforehand if you want to keep the board in the existing position or move elsewhere. Then review their recommendations.
    An overheating fuse should not be ignored.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

+1 to the above. Good advice.

A lot of wiring regulations have changed since your home was wired. This means that the chances of a rewire being required are quite high.

New regulations will be in place soon. Once this happens the cost of a rewire will increase. So it would be cheaper to get this resolved now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭kramer1

When the new regs coming out?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭coleen

Thanks I felt that overheating was definitely an issue.
    I will get it sorted straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

kramer1 wrote: »

They are likely to come into effect towards the end of the year, with the final publication likely this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

kramer1 wrote: »

See projected implementation dates in this post:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109345804&postcount=23

Advertisement