Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment taken twice

Options
  • 25-04-2019 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there, last week I've bought few things online, paid as usual using PayPal, and now my statement shows that payment was taken twice (19.04, and then 23.04, both of them having 25.04 as secondary date) checked my PayPal account, and I've got only one transaction on 23.04 (I did actual shopping on 19.04) any information on what should I do to get my money back?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Tow

This is a feature of BOIs antiquated systems, it gets worse with bank holidays. 

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Lorna

Hi there Bbula,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The duplicate transaction should drop off your account automatically within 3-5 working days.

Thanks,

Lorna

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi there Bbula,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The duplicate transaction should drop off your account automatically within 3-5 working days.

Thanks,

Lorna

That response simply isn’t good enough.

Why are transactions duplicated in the first place and why should customers have to put up with such an appalling service?

How could any reputable bank consider such double debiting acceptable and then when queried effectively say ‘put up with it’ and make no attempt to provide an explanation?

Why should a customer be deprived of the use of their own money by such double debiting?

And how are BOI justified in debiting customers accounts twice without their permission?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Not ideal I know but the €1bn core IT system upgrade should fix this problem I'd imagine.

Not ideal I know but the €1bn core IT system upgrade should fix this problem I'd imagine.

‘Not ideal’ are you serious?

‘Should fix’ ??? A supposedly reputable bank debiting accounts twice???

• Advertisement

Hi there dub45,

There can be multiple reasons this can happen,

If you have any queries on a specific transaction you can query this on Ask a Question in the Service Desk menu option on your 365online and an advisor with account access will be happy to help.

Thanks,

Lorna

Hi there dub45,

There can be multiple reasons this can happen,

If you have any queries on a specific transaction you can query this on Ask a Question in the Service Desk menu option on your 365online and an advisor with account access will be happy to help.

Thanks,

Lorna

Can you answer the questions in my original post please? Surely any competent and open business should have no problem addressing customers concerns in an open and transparent manner?

The response above does not suggest any such transparency.

BOI consistently avoid addressing such concerns and such an attitude is totally unacceptable.

Can you list the ‘multiple reasons’?

Dub45.... with respect this isn't even your issue?  You're not the original poster here  are you?  

This has happened me with An Post too (when you withdraw cash in their offices) and most of the time its not actually debited twice, its just showing twice on your statement (duplicated post).      You sound quite stressed. 

Hi all,
    In regards to the original post, just to give more detail;

One of the most commons reasons duplicate transactions occur is that when you make a purchase the retailer may take a ‘pre-authorised’ payment which means they will debit the account straight away to ensure there are enough funds to cover the transaction. The ‘pre-authorised’ amount will then disappear from your account and readjust into your balance within 3-5 working days after the transaction is made, the retailer will then take the funds out of your account. If the retailer has does this before the 3-5 days are up you may see two amounts on your account. This would be more common on a bank holiday due to the extra non-working day.

As this particular query is account specific, we would not be able to determine the exact reason, sending in an Ask a Question on 365online ensures that an advisor with account access can investigate this for you.
    Thanks,

Lorna

Advertisement