Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green waste removal

Options
  • 25-04-2019 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what's the best option for removing green waste. (North Dublin) Will be pruning a few average size trees (as in under 20ft) and hedge/plant cuttings

In the past I've used a skip bag but found it fills very quickly if you have branch cuttings so works out quite expensive. Looked at mulch.ie but again they sell you 1m bags which are fine for clippings useless if pruning trees. Is a metal skip best option or just paying someone else to do it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Just wondering what's the best option for removing green waste. (North Dublin) Will be pruning a few average size trees (as in under 20ft) and hedge/plant cuttings

In the past I've used a skip bag but found it fills very quickly if you have branch cuttings so works out quite expensive. Looked at mulch.ie but again they sell you 1m bags which are fine for clippings useless if pruning trees. Is a metal skip best option or just paying someone else to do it ?

Put it in bags and bring it to the local recycling center? Fingal CC charges €8 for a full car load. This is what I do and fill up my estate car with my clippings.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

As above. I can get a ton bag almost full into the boot of my estate.... but similar also used to fit into my puegot 206 with its back seats down.
    Cut the stuff up small to get more in or you could let it wither down abit to get more in.
    Some people don't like messing up their cars or spiders/flies getting into the car.. My local place is only a short trip away so its not in there too long for things to start taking up roost.
    Or you can use multiple smaller coal type bags (see my ps) and tie them up.

Beats hiring a skip at €80+

ps: sacks.ie is great for bags for the garden. I just re-use them each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Thanks. Saloon car so no chance of skip bag fitting plus I’d have quite a few 5-6 ft branches.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Round where I live (not north Dublin) I see small trucks with grab arms collecting green waste over people's garden walls. Handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Hire (or buy) a garden shredder. It shrinks down the cuttings to a much smaller volume: much easier to get rid of in bags, or to use as mulch, etc.

Larger branches, - stack to one side, dry for a season, then cut up as firewood.

Bonus: a stack of logs/large branches at one end of the garden is both decorative and very friendly to wildlife; the local insects and fungi can do their job of returning wood to soil. May attract hedgehogs, frogs, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Day Lewin wrote: »
    Hire (or buy) a garden shredder.
    or even ask around, a neighbour may own one. even the cheapest should handle branches up to the thickness of your thumb readily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Ive used these guys H E R E.
    No problems,i bought tons of soil and they took back any clean non-contaminated garden stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,070 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

even the cheapest should handle branches up to the thickness of your thumb readily.

But they are very, very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Idioteque

Lumen wrote: »
    But they are very, very slow.

This is VERY true, especially of the lower-end Hire Shredders. I've been there and done that!

I had to hire a smaller one as have no side access so if you were going this route I'd look to go with a more powerful model.

I shredded 3 tress and some bushes and then filled a Mulch.ie bag with it....although from memory they don't want you putting your own chippings in their bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 dublinlush

rolion wrote: »
    Ive used these guys H E R E.
    No problems,i bought tons of soil and they took back any clean non-contaminated garden stuff.

Really useful to have this info about those Mulch guys. Thanks for posting :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement