Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Transom windows

• 25-04-2019 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Does anyone know where I can source transom windows in Ireland?

Any ideas regarding cost?

Google didn't really help me!!

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A transom window is just a regular window.

Any pictures/drawings to get a better idea of what you are looking for?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭MastiffMrs

DOCARCH wrote: »
    A transom window is just a regular window.

Any pictures/drawings to get a better idea of what you are looking for?

Sorry, thought the transom window was specific to the windows which are used internally, high up between two rooms. The idea is to allow light into a room that has no external window. The window would run along the top of the internal wall.

Here's a screenshot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭blackbox

Any I've seen are built in place and single glazed. Sometimes hammered glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

get carpenter to make up framework in-situ, measure and order glass and pop in to place

• Advertisement

bfclancy wrote: »
    get carpenter to make up framework in-situ, measure and order glass and pop in to place

Would the carpenter order the glass? Is it an easy thing to do? What kind of price should I expect?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

blackbox wrote: »
    Any I've seen are built in place and single glazed. Sometimes hammered glass.

definitely make sure the glazing is laminated.

you dont want glass shattering down... nor even do you want tempered glass smashing down either

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Is the corridor outside part of stairwell ? Is the 2 or 3 storey’s?

BryanF wrote: »
    Is the corridor outside part of stairwell ? Is the 2 or 3 storey’s?

First one we want is between ensuite and walk in wardrobe, upstairs in a dormer bungalow.

Was also thinking they would be nice between stairwell and rooms either side of it, but not sure if it's possible.

They wouldn't be load bearing really, as only ceiling above them and no attic storage above them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭blackbox

sydthebeat wrote: »
    definitely make sure the glazing is laminated.

you dont want glass shattering down... nor even do you want tempered glass smashing down either

Ordinary exterior windows aren't normally laminated. I'd have thought internal windows as in Op's picture were lower risk. Different for glass in bannister or corridor, of course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement