Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Please - Making My Laser Printer Wireless

Options
  • 25-04-2019 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi,

Would appreciate some advice as per title. This is the scenario:
    • Mesh Wifi based on a Google WiFi 3-pack.
    • Samsung ML-2850D laser printer.
    • Netgear WGPS606 wireless print server (over 10 years old).

I've used the Netgear wireless print server with WiFi and the Samsung printer previously but that was with a WiFi network with WPA security in a different house. Looks like Google WiFi only supports WPA2 (not WPA). The Netgear print server doesn't appear to have any firmware upgrade that will support WPA2.

I have another router in the press and some Googling suggests that I could install DD-WRT and connect the printer to this router (via USB) to set it up as a print server ... think it's called bridge mode (with some additional printer server specific config steps). Alternatively, maybe I could do this setup without DD-WRT i.e. with native firmware. I don't have the router make and model to hand (am at work now) but can easily get it if required.

All told - what are my options to get wireless printing here? Wireless print servers look pretty expensive so don't want to go there.

Thanks,
    super_freddie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

How about a raspberry pi.

Google raspberry pi wireless printer server

Probably cost around 40/45 including sd card etc

Advertisement