Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Van Conversion

Options
  • 23-04-2019 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all I’m thinking of buying a 2002 transit conversion some of the work has been done toilet,sleeping area and sink. I was just wondering what I have to do to get it converted to camper to be legal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

You'll need a van with no fitted bulkhead, at least a couple of windows, storage, table and seating, two ring cooking facilities on top of what you currently listed. And the van needs to be checked by a Suitably Qualified Individual (SQI) to check it all out. After that you'll need to send photos, invoices including the purchase price and the parts/labour for the conversion and the completed form downloaded from here.

Have been converting a Sprinter over the winter and sent my application the Central Vehicle Office, Co. Wexford last week. They apparently normally take between 3 to 5 weeks to process it and as the end result they come up with a open market selling price (OMSP) of which you need to pay 13.3% of VRT.

I have been dealing with the Motorcaravan Club of Ireland and they can provide you details including recommend a local SQI to do the check for you. They don't much like messing but I find them nice to deal with and helpful once you break the ice so to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As an aside - You really need to properly check for rust underneath before you do anything else.

Advertisement