Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf 2018 HL 1.0TSI

Options
  • 26-04-2019 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a VW Golf 2018 HL 1.0TSI 110HP.

I had a test drive last week and the really liked the car. Although its a 1L car, I found it to be quite quick.

Is there anyone around here who has a 181 Golf? Just for my piece of my mind, I need to ask how do the feel about the car after owning it for few months or a year? Do you think its a good idea to get the car? How is the fuel economy in city driving? Can you around 15km / per litre in city driving as the showroom guys where suggesting?

Also if I do go ahead with it what manuals / documents do I expect inside the car. I saw that the owners manual was there in the glove compartment. Will there be any service book available for the service history etc.

One thing, when I opened the bonnet, the plastic engine cover which I guess has the air filter had not any VW branding. My really old VW polo has a branding. I did not ask but it looked weird. Will it be the case that it was replaced?

Any VW Golf 2018 owner here - can you please post a pic of the engine?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The no badge thing is normal anyway.

Ref 15 km/l (or 43mpg) in city driving? I seriously doubt it.

FWIW we have a 181 Golf at work that I drive a bit. It’s a nice enough thing, but it does feel a bit old fashioned in some areas. I was surprised to find it feels a good bit smaller than I thought it would.
    There’s an awful lot of good points though and despite being long in the tooth now, it’s still a class leader or as near as makes no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rks

^^. Interesting. What areas do you think it feels old fashioned?

Inside of the car looked pretty premium to be, the digital dashboard and the 8 inch display looked nice.

Yes it does not have any fancy daytime running lights like some of the other recent models / brands have like seat, audi, Reno, toyota etc.

You can get one but thats pretty expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

rks wrote: »
    Can you around 15km / per litre in city driving as the showroom guys where suggesting?

Works out as 6.6l/100.

I'd say with a (very) light foot that would be achievable in town.

rks wrote: »
    ^^. Interesting. What areas do you think it feels old fashioned?

Inside of the car looked pretty premium to be, the digital dashboard and the 8 inch display looked nice.

Yes it does not have any fancy daytime running lights like some of the other recent models / brands have like seat, audi, Reno, toyota etc.

You can get one but thats pretty expensive.

The heating controls, cup holders, cigarette lighter, and a few details are poorly thought out. Small criticism but the Golf has been a gradual evolution and these things could really have been done better at this stage. Particularly the heating controls which feel very cheap.
    Some things like switchgear are very familiar from previous Golfs, and that’s part of the appeal for a lot of people, but in some ways it makes the car feel a bit older.

In terms of size. I actually like how compact it feels generally, doesn’t feel like a small MPV like some cars in that class do. The roof/top of door comes very close to my head compared to other cars (I’m 6’1)
    The infotainment is quite good too.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not criticising the car generally. Just these few things annoyed me.

Thanks. I get your points. Not a smoker and not a big coffee / tea drinker. May have an odd cup of tea, dont fancy having in car, so those things wont annoy me much. Must take a look at the heating controls again though. Only had a quick test drive, don't exactly remember how they looked / felt. I was engrossed with the digital dashboard and infotainment display :)

Yes the car feels quite compact. Coming from driving a smaller car, I thought it will feel really big but like you said, it doesn't feel that big from inside.

Which compact car do you think has a better layout?

• Advertisement

The cup holders work perfectly for holding cups. They just look a bit cheap is all.
    I wouldn’t be smoking in a car either, but a lot of cars have the 12v socket positioned out of sight in the armrest for example with a cigarette lighter behind a lid or somewhere.
    This is pretty much nitpicking really but the Golf is so lauded for its interior that it should be pointed out that it’s not as perfect as journalists would have you believe.

Ergonomically I like the Corolla and i30 but they don’t have the same feel as the Golf, especially in the higher specs. There is a new Golf coming out soon and it will surely move the game on another bit.

In petrol form the Golf is a smashing car, resale is always strong and they have the image of being best in class and appeal to so many people. Please don’t take my observations as a recommendation to buy something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

After four diesel Golfs we went for the Petrol one back in April 2018 .Having covered 17000 since then I much prefer it over the diesel version, the interior got a great makeover in 2017 but as Colm says he isn’t a fan of the heating controls you do a lot of whirling of the knobs to get your desired temperature.

As regards fuel economy my long term figure is 43 mpg ( I’m still old school ! )
    Engine cover is as you describe no markings - cost saving measure no doubt .

As regards the service history no longer a service book .. just keep receipts for work done VW keeps records as well ..

In April’s edition of What Car in a test between the new Ford Focus 1.5 diesel the new Toyota Corolla 1.8 hybrid and Golf 1.0 petrol .. the Golf came out in first place 😀

^^ Thanks for the pics. Really appreciate it. Also thanks for the clarification about service book and engine cover. It does look like the cost cutting measure. At least its under the hood.

I did like the interior. Seemed really nice to me. As I said didnt took much notice of the heating controls. I guess after a while you can get used to it.

Also good to know that the Golf came out in first place. :)

I think I am more or less set to get the Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

Go to a few dealers to get the best deal ..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

On the 1.0 petrol

Wife has it in an ateca.

42 or 3 mpg on long runs.

Around town......low 30s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭akasudonim

Have a look at this too for a comparison...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd-3GCzCJjw

Advertisement