Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

For the VPN enthusiasts that would like to see it:pac:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07xtbhr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Excellent.
    I have that on the Sky box for the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,749 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Rather than clutter up the thread where Thirdfox gave me a steer on some Bund Homages ;)

I thought I'd give what I learned a share here.
    HKED is releasing a v3 in early 2020.

Looks quite good in my poorly educated opinion.
    I may be ordering this when/if it's released ;)

Also a panda and a blue dialled version planned.
    492190.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Looks good to me, first time hearing of HKED watches.

funkyouup wrote: »
    Looks good to me, first time hearing of HKED watches.

He has done a couple of WUS forum st19 based versions already that seem to have been quite well received.
    HKED and Raymond Wong were new to me too until TF mentioned them on another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

banie01 wrote: »
    Rather than clutter up the thread where Thirdfox gave me a steer on some Bund Homages ;)

I thought I'd give what I learned a share here.
    HKED is releasing a v3 in early 2020.

Looks quite good in my poorly educated opinion.
    I may be ordering this when/if it's released ;)

Also a panda and a blue dialled version planned.
    [/IMG]

What kind of money is that watch? Think I'd sooner go for a more established brand, it looks pretty cheap.

2shea wrote: »
    What kind of money is that watch? Think I'd sooner go for a more established brand, it looks pretty cheap.

That's just a render of the next model.
    Its run thru 2 versions already that were both fairly well received by the users over on WUS.
    Its a sub $300 watch, the HKED V1 and V2 can be seen over on WUS and below is are a few V2 pics.
    Its a Chinese made homage, that I hope will scratch an itch for me, and perhaps convince me one way or the other if a gen bund is what I really, really want ;)
    324731_684_attachment.jpg
    324731_390_attachment.jpgq

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

It looks like one of the old Heuer watches? If you like it you go for it man everyone has their own tastes that's makes the watch collecting/enthusiasts world cool. I must look them up now.

2shea wrote: »
    It looks like one of the old Heuer watches? If you like it you go for it man everyone has their own tastes that's makes the watch collecting/enthusiasts world cool. I must look them up now.

That's entirely the point ;)

The watches are built on an St19, are handwind like the original and now they are using sapphire crystal are much more interesting.

Bund is a grail for me, but I'm after spending a little too much on watches this year to afford 1 for the next 5yrs :pac:
    And whilst I love the idea of owning one, I'd hate to buy and find that I don't like hand wind, or it doesn't wear well on me.
    This is a cheap way to find out.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That HKED bund is very accurate, in render anyway, it would be interesting to see it in the metal.
    And whilst I love the idea of owning one, I'd hate to buy and find that I don't like hand wind, or it doesn't wear well on me.
    They're a large watch B(43mm IIRC), but wear smaller and I've got scrawny wrists where 35-36mm would usually be my sweet spot. For normal sized humans they'd be bang on I reckon. They've a fair old reserve on a single wind. 48 hours kinda thing. And they don't have a date so less faffing about there. To be fair I like the ritual of handwinding and don't have any automatics among my mechanicals. For me the biggest issue with the Bunds are the overly "restored" examples that make up a lot of the market, that and too much variability with the red (3H) dials. I'd look for a civilian one, small T, no red (3H).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    That HKED bund is very accurate, in render anyway, it would be interesting to see it in the metal.

They're a large watch B(43mm IIRC), but wear smaller and I've got scrawny wrists where 35-36mm would usually be my sweet spot. For normal sized humans they'd be bang on I reckon. They've a fair old reserve on a single wind. 48 hours kinda thing. And they don't have a date so less faffing about there. To be fair I like the ritual of handwinding and don't have any automatics among my mechanicals. For me the biggest issue with the Bunds are the overly "restored" examples that make up a lot of the market, that and too much variability with the red (3H) dials. I'd look for a civilian one, small T, no red (3H).

I have joined the wait list for the likely November release of the V3 so will share pics as and when I get hands on 1.
    The 43mm would actually be my sweet spot.
    Most of my bits are in the 39-42mm range and quite chunky.

The V2 looks quite good and a sterile 3H dial could be quite nice, I got copies of the blue and the panda render that I'll share later.
    The black is my preference but nice to see variety and options are nice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

FWIW if you ever do think of going for one of the heuer examples, you're welcome to try my one on for size to see if it suits.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

FWIW if you ever do think of going for one of the heuer examples, you're welcome to try my one on for size to see if it suits.

I’m still waiting on you to make an appearance at a GTG so I can try your one on.

That's a lovely thought and gesture.
    Thanks Wibbs, hopefully the HKED will allow me to make up my mind and decide if I want to save like a MoFo ;)

The Citizen Eco-Drive ltd edition StarWars watches have some nice touches.
    The Death Star and Vader models in particular are quite eye catching.

Can't find anywhere selling them to Ireland and they seem to be an Amazon exclusive.

https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Classic-Quartz-Stainless-Casual/dp/B07S5XCQYG?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

The Citizen Eco-Drive ltd edition StarWars watches have some nice touches.
    The Death Star and Vader models in particular are quite eye catching.

Can't find anywhere selling them to Ireland and they seem to be an Amazon exclusive.

https://www.amazon.com/Citizen-Classic-Quartz-Stainless-Casual/dp/B07S5XCQYG?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

After the HKED suggestion you're going to really hate me know - you know that An Post offer the US delivery service right? You can get amazon to ship the item to a US address and An Post then ship it to you (you'll definitely be paying VAT+duties of course).

It's called AddressPal - I've used it for exotic camera lenses in the past and they've been good.

...perhaps I shouldn't be emptying your watch buying account :pac: but just can't resist "helping" people spend on watches :D

Thirdfox wrote: »
    After the HKED suggestion you're going to really hate me know - you know that An Post offer the US delivery service right? You can get amazon to ship the item to a US address and An Post then ship it to you (you'll definitely be paying VAT+duties of course).

It's called AddressPal - I've used it for exotic camera lenses in the past and they've been good.

...perhaps I shouldn't be emptying your watch buying account :pac: but just can't resist "helping" people spend on watches :D

:pac:
    I know about addresspal, but!
    I love the gamble on "hoping" it will get thru customs :P
    Rather than factoring in the additional charges straight away.

To be honest at $400 I can totally justify the purchase in my own mind...
    At $400 + 23% VAT, plus any Tariff, with the Address Pal charge on top...
    Its not so easy to justify ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I much prefer the black dial of the two models. Just a shame they didn't colour match the date wheel on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭micks_address

And of course anything I look at is bloody sold out... Says approx 480 USD..see them for 1100 now
    hitemfrank wrote: »
    I much prefer the black dial of the two models. Just a shame they didn't colour match the date wheel on it.

• Advertisement

And of course anything I look at is bloody sold out... Says approx 480 USD..see them for 1100 now

Thats the joys of bloody JDM/Japanese only releases.
    Prices always seem to jump on the secondary market.

Nice that the UK has such a service - I do wonder what happened to my stolen watches. If some unsuspecting buying got them on the cheap I hope they're being enjoyed (rather than on the wrists of the s*umbags).

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Only Problem with someone getting a bargain and not knowing they are stolen is when they come to service them they are in for a shock

Should I be worried then that my Sinn is still waiting on a rotor ;)

On a serious note.
    The stolen goods register is quite a handy but very often the end buyer becomes a "victim" too.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Only Problem with someone getting a bargain and not knowing they are stolen is when they come to service them they are in for a shock

Huh - do companies care about stolen goods? I never did contact Omega etc to report my watch stolen with serial numbers etc. I didn't know they'd take an interest in that (and of course then there's issues of proof of ownership etc.)

Would have thought that watch companies would wash their hands of these things and provide a service to any watch that comes through their doors. If I'm mistaken though please let me know and I'll drop Omega a line.

Ok - good to know - so no need to do anything extra - the insurance company already got the details. Interesting to know that Omega/Rolex etc. will have contact with the insurance companies too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I somehow forgot to throw a watch on this morning and feel weirdly naked.

The fact I also forgot to wear trousers might be something to do with it.

But seriously, feels weird without a watch, must be first time in years.

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

One of the nice things we do in my workplace is run a blind auction every year, donating all of the raised funds to charity. Normally it's used IT gear, like laptops, Chromecasts and the like, but this year I've decided to donate some unworn/unloved pieces, so will be offering up these 4, rather than selling them on Adverts:

493019.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Spocker wrote: »
    One of the nice things we do in my workplace is run a blind auction every year, donating all of the raised funds to charity. Normally it's used IT gear, like laptops, Chromecasts and the like, but this year I've decided to donate some unworn/unloved pieces, so will be offering up these 4, rather than selling them on Adverts:

Any jobs going? :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭Spocker

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Any jobs going? :pac:

Donate me a watch for the auction and I'll see what I can do :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Birneybau wrote: »
    I somehow forgot to throw a watch on this morning and feel weirdly naked.

The fact I also forgot to wear trousers might be something to do with it.

But seriously, feels weird without a watch, must be first time in years.

Did the same thing the other day, felt something was off with me, then I realized, no watch.

Although the tan line is so prominent I could draw on a dial and no one would notice.

Advertisement