Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Fitz II wrote: »
    There is nothing out there for 8k that will cover its maintenance, insurance costs and storage costs which are considerable. A watch costs nothing to own, but cars will kill you......

Yerra what do you know about cars? You only like automatics! :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

My car did not even have electric windshield washer - it was a rubber bubble pump.
    Ferrari of a similar vintage had that too. I sat in a 250 Lusso once, gorgeous looking car(with an awful paintjob) and asked the owner what the bulb thing in the footwell was. Yep washer bottle pump. I gave it a squeeze and let's just say the resulting feeble stream looked like the car had prostate trouble :D He then told me the wipers barely touched the glass no matter what he tried and tended to just move the smudges around. The sound of that V12 on startup and him speeding off though... wow. :eek:
    I am back on motorbikes these days and its a close second to that 'real feel'.
    Motorbikes would be a bit to real for me tbh. Frighten the bejaysus out of me.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

fat bloke wrote: »
    Yerra what do you know about cars? You only like automatics! :p

I have had one or two ;) And they all bled me to death.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

New to the game - what's the general consensus on chrono24 - a safe place to buy or is it just a case of 'buy the seller'?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fitz II wrote: »
    There is nothing out there for 8k that will cover its maintenance, insurance costs and storage costs which are considerable. A watch costs nothing to own, but cars will kill you......
    This. Plus which car do you go for? Fashions change and what might be the hot car on the bottom of its depreciation curve today may be a meh car in the future. My own car(Honda Integra R) that I held onto by mistake an example of that. They went dirt cheap and meh and very boy racer with halfords "improvements" for a time, now prices for good unmolested original cars in the last three years have really strengthened and are going upwards(they're insane money in the US). Whereas its mark 2 version was seen as the thing back then, now have stagnated because nobody wants them. Outside of actual exotics it's very hard to tell.

Plus cars don't like being stored for very long and the more modern a car, the more fancy electronics that can go off over time. In a hundred years time a hammer, some WD40 and muttered profanities will get a Ford model T going again, a Ford Focus ST not so much. Not unlike the quartz/mechanical longevity debate in watches.

And then we get to all the other costs Fitz mentioned... I've a couple of relatives into vintage cars, 50's Alfas and the like and yeah some of the are knocking on 100k plus now, but as they'll tell you it took decades and a lot of cash to keep them going to get to that point and they never had investment in mind, they just love particular cars.

It can be a generational thing too. The 50's chrome era of classics market has really softened, quite simply because many of the collectors who were kids who couldn't buy them back then have gone on to the eternal road in the sky. That'll happen to the 60's 70's 80's and so on cars too. Then we have the whole electric cars thing and how that's going to change things a lot. In 30 years time you may not be even able to drive an old car on the road.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

colm18 wrote: »
    New to the game - what's the general consensus on chrono24 - a safe place to buy or is it just a case of 'buy the seller'?
    From what I've heard it's pretty safe with quite a few safeguards in place for buyers. It does tend to be mostly dealers so mostly dealer prices which are higher. A few guys here have bought from there with no issues from what I recall.

A newbie eh?

Mr.-Burns-Excellent.jpg

Another to convert to the cause. :D

Haha thanks...while we're on newbie questions.what are these levels of watch ownership I see referenced now and then...googling just brings ups Covid level restrictions :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

They did not really do safety features in cars back then. MGs motto was 'Safety Fast' from the 1930s up to the 70s IIRC.

But - it is a real driving experience when you are behind the wheel of a car of that vintage. No syncro mesh gear shift, crap suspension etc...but the smell and sound and feel of them is just sublime. My car did not even have electric windshield washer - it was a rubber bubble pump.

I am back on motorbikes these days and its a close second to that 'real feel'.

Indeed?

What's your current ride?

I've gone back to my green roots with a Z1000sx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I bought there late last year, from a registered dealer in Germany.

What was claimed to have been a serviced watch was anything but. Also, the clasp that came with it was badged properly but the actual folding bit was spurious.

It was resolved by Chono24, with a personal case handler and the price of a service was refunded. In the ned it also needed some NOS parts, which was over and above the service cost.

While I was happy in the end, as a first buying experience, it wasn't great. Plus, I had a a watch advertised there and had several offers that I formally accepted and the inquirers disappeared.

So, all in all, a mixed bag.

Haha thanks...while we're on newbie questions.what are these levels of watch ownership I see referenced now and then...googling just brings ups Covid level restrictions :pac::pac:

This has turned out to be so so true....
    bannermeme.jpg?ext=.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    Indeed?

What's your current ride?

I've gone back to my green roots with a Z1000sx.

I am on a wee cafe racer to get me going again. Looking to move to a new honda rebel before the spring.

Thanks Fitz, seems with my Seiko 5 and Mondaine I'm right on track!

I started out at 5 and occupy each number in the curve up to 9. Though 6 covers 7, 8 and 9.:D

Wibbs wrote: »
    I started out at 5 and occupy each number in the curve up to 9. Though 6 covers 7, 8 and 9.:D

You cant be number 9 unless you go through the stages Wibbs...you need to buy a few Rolex

I did, but they were vintage(and a couple of Tudor). :D Also had a new Seiko(but that was a present when I was a kid). Have a Heuer minus the TAG and a couple of decent swiss went through my hands over the years. Though again vintage.

Rolex simply never appealed to me for some reason. :confused: And in 1990(I remember it really well) I was in London looking at vintage and used watches in a few places. The selection amazed me coming from the feck all that was here and all sorts of steel Rolex could be had for well under a grand. I was offered a milsub though I didnt know what it was tbh, for 2-3k IIRC. I know now it was a milsub because the dealer was giving me the UK military issued background pointing out the differences and jokingly mentioned it might not suit an Irish guy(in a very nice way. He was a nice old bloke, but the times were a bit different then). I ended up getting a Stowa B-Uhr for under 300 quid. Totally unwearable of course. Doh. :) I made a fair few quid when I sold it on years later, but if I'd have bought the Milsub. Double Doh!!!

I just don't like their designs, though I was tempted by an Oysterquartz and might be tempted again when the market finds other tulips. The Milgauss is nice but for me and IMHO isn't worth the pricepoint. Modern Zenith never appealed either. Even with my fave brand Longines their modern designs didn't and don't appeal. Their vintage reissues can, but I'd prefer the originals. Omegas... ehh sometimes. My fave period for them would be the 70's and I have one of them. I've just got weird taste Fitz :D

Speaking of Rolex and meetings I remember. One Rolex wearer I've not seen mentioned is the boul Bono. I met him a couple of times in the 80's and 90's(who didn't :D) and I noticed he was wearing a Rolex. I seem to remember it was a medium sized one, two tone, bevelled bezel. Day-Date maybe? I didn't ask him. he might have thought it a mugging. :D I remember at the time thinking it "old fashioned" for someone like him. Funny how perceptions change. Maybe it was a family piece?

And for all the crap he gets I found him a very personable good humoured kinda guy. Extremely bright.

Just as its yourself Wibbs we will let you substitute Patek for Rolex at stage 4.

Nah too many memories there. An Omega Marine Chronometer or a Longines 13ZN chrono.. mmmmmm....

Bono-from-U2-Rolex-Day-Date-in-Oval-Office.jpg

Turns out his is in steel. Memories are funny. Though maybe he has a few?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bono-from-U2-Rolex-Day-Date-in-Oval-Office.jpg

I'd say he is struggling for cash.
    Would probably have to sell that one to bring in the funds for another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

He’s in stage 4.
    Still hasn’t found what he’s looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Blanchy90 wrote: »
    Its scary how good some of those reps are

I just don't understand wearing a fake watch, I have no problem with a homage that is near identical but without the logo. That said my seiko great while dial says seiko on it even though its aftermarket ( I got it with parts and didn't know it was am at the time). But my mod is a mod and not trying to pass as a genuine watch

Did someone say fakes? :pac:
    I'll explain this one because the question comes up. A lot of people couldn't give a fúck. They don't care that it's fake. You can come up with whatever reason but they'll probably think the person spending €15k on the same watch is the crazy one.

I can understand because I buy the kids fake football jerseys all the time. Quality is really good, holographic badges, tags, stitch in logos, printed labels inside. I can get it with the shorts for €15 delivered. Real one would cost €80. Some people would frown upon it. I'm in the "i couldn't give a fúck" category here. I'd never buy a real one.

I suspect Bono's one of those old style men, one "good watch" for life. Looking at google images it seems to be the same watch down the years. He went to Stage 4 and got stuck. :D Well, before the Hairy Hand phase of watchitis anyway.

The only rock star I've seen with the same watch as me is Bruce Springsteen, wearing a 30's Zenith pilots and with the much rarer centre seconds too.

541056.jpg

I remember that pic floating about on a few general watch forums and people wondering what the hell it was.

Mine. Without the coolness and geeeetaar playing skillz.

541057.jpg

He's got a strapping wrist the same Bruce. That's a 42mm watch that wears large. He's got more modern Rolex and Pateks and other Zeniths too. I wondered why he wore that on his right wrist and then figured duuuh, he's a guitarist and the big crown would get in the way of his left hand. Though I find it fine and doesn't get in the way on my much scrawny less manly wrist.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I'd say he is struggling for cash.
    Would probably have to sell that one to bring in the funds for another.
    Are you suggesting Bono is a flipper? :eek: In which case we need to get him posting here. :D

mailforkev wrote: »
    He’s in stage 4.
    Still hasn’t found what he’s looking for.
    Just copped this M. :pac:

Cienciano wrote: »
    Did someone say fakes? :pac:

Its like a dog whistle......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

He's got a strapping wrist the same Bruce. That's a 42mm watch that wears large. He's got more modern Rolex and Pateks and other Zeniths too. I wondered why he wore that on his right wrist and then figured duuuh, he's a guitarist and the big crown would get in the way of his left hand. Though I find it fine and doesn't get in the way on my much scrawny less manly wrist.

I can't understand how such a protruding crown could be comfortable left handed. A frequent watch wearing issue of mine with pretty normal sized watches and regular crowns is chafing of the crown against the top of my hand. Maybe my bracelets are too loose?
    My 39 steinhart is the first watch in years that doesn't hurt or Mark my hand in that way after prolonged wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Btw - completely off topic but just a reminder that people can claim their 2020 working from home tax credit now - between MsThirdfox and myself we got 280 euro from the gas/electricity/broadband costs.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax_credits_and_reliefs/eworking_and_tax_relief.html if you need more info.

Something to go into the kitty for a new watch perhaps ha :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Btw - completely off topic but just a reminder that people can claim their 2020 working from home tax credit now - between MsThirdfox and myself we got 280 euro from the gas/electricity/broadband costs.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/income_tax_credits_and_reliefs/eworking_and_tax_relief.html if you need more info.

Something to go into the kitty for a new watch perhaps ha :P

Hey TF - do you get a 10th of your costs or is it 20 percent of a 10th?

From the link you get 40 percent if you pay 40% tax which differs from say medical receipts where you only get lower rate back... did you get 280 back tf or 40 percent of 280? Would seem to need quite high bills to get 280 back

and sorry... did you provide receipts? or just have them if they ask for them? we switched providers mid year so would need to go routing for pdfs..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Hey TF - do you get a 10th of your costs or is it 20 percent of a 10th?

From the link you get 40 percent if you pay 40% tax which differs from say medical receipts where you only get lower rate back... did you get 280 back tf or 40 percent of 280? Would seem to need quite high bills to get 280 back

and sorry... did you provide receipts? or just have them if they ask for them? we switched providers mid year so would need to go routing for pdfs..

It's actually a lot easier than all that once you have worked out how many days you've worked at home after C19 started and you've toted up all your gas/electricity and broadband bills.

On the revenue MyAccounts site you'll just be asked the following:
    1. Gas/electricity bill total for the year
    2. Broadband cost for the year
    3. Days worked at home due to employer requesting you to as a result of C19
    4. If you're employer is paying you €3ish for WFH instead of claiming this tax relief (if you're getting paid by employer then you aren't entitled to this credit).

No receipts need to be uploaded (same with medical expenses) - a gmail search for "bill" usually brings up the various gas/electric bills and it's more a case of totting up the figures. It is generally highly unlikely Revenue has the time to ask individuals for their minor receipts - I imagine unless you claim 100k in medical expenses or something.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ all of the above is not official tax law advice :P - for all you know I could be some random person sprouting nonsense ;)

You're right that you only get up to 40% back depending on tax rate - looking at our statement of liability it is probably the case that we only got 112 from the e-working relief and the rest was from some other overpayments of tax throughout the year.

Still - money is money and it's not often we can claim anything back from Revenue :)

Worst feeling is when you send off your SoL for the year and it comes back with underpayment of tax :pac: - I have definitely never done that before :o

Advertisement