Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

fat bloke wrote: »
    My 39 steinhart is the first watch in years that doesn't hurt or Mark my hand in that way after prolonged wear.

I have this issue with my GMT Steinhart at 42mm as the crown digs into my hand. I thought it was because the bracelet wasn't fitted correctly, but I may be wrong and it just has a large crown. Stopped wearing it as my unconscious brain shied away from it.

Might remove a link and put on a half link and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

oxocube wrote: »
    I have this issue with my GMT Steinhart at 42mm as the crown digs into my hand. I thought it was because the bracelet wasn't fitted correctly, but I may be wrong and it just has a large crown. Stopped wearing it as my unconscious brain shied away from it.

Might remove a link and put on a half link and see how I get on.

Try wearing it on the right wrist. I do because I've always done as a person who's left-handed but if I wanted to I could easily switch. Edit. Maybe Not.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

I used to be a proud owner of a 1972 MGB GT. It was a great motor, I loved it.

Cant remember the amount of times I watched Mark Evans (and the director Pete Mate :D) fix up one on An MG Is Born when they were on back to back all day, along with a 4x4,bikes,helicopter, not to mention Campervan/Bettle crisis!

nIkHwmC.jpg

Another watch spot from Knight Rider, Season 2 Episode 14 Diamonds Aren't a Girl's Best Friend
    Seiko 6309-7040 worn by the character Bernie Mitchell played by Cameron Mitchell

DoyYZw4.jpg

ue5vhtL.jpg

Looking at the phases of watch collecting chart, I must still be at stage 1 :D Not sure in which direction I will go, have a love for the Bell-Matics and there is still a couple of other models that Id like, especially before they start going up too much in price.

At the same time I would like to branch out as there is so many others in the Seiko line alone from that time period. Not the biggest fan of Rolex (that said never got to try one on ;) ) The only models that catch my interest is the Oysterquartz 17000 really like that 70s integrated bracelet, and the Air-King date also from the 1970s.

Would also like to get my Heuer stopwatch serviced, be great to see it function! Asked Richard Askham but doesn't do pocketwatches/stopwatches. Also not sure about sending it away at the moment giving the shipping etc

For now I'm going with the flow and seeing what watches come my way :cool:

Wibbs > Omega Seamaster 'Mariner'

qYoH6UQ.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

OmegaGene wrote: »
    just watched paul thorpe interview paul pluta, i have not watched either in a long time but it was quite a good watch and makes a change to see the real paul pluta

Archie's live streams have got way better in the last few weeks, they are funny and actually talk about watches. I reccomend them if you need to whittle away an hour on the headphones.

He has stopped swearing and seems more focused lately, but some of the rare magic of his rants is gone. This is still the best watch video ever made.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Wibbs > Omega Seamaster 'Mariner'

qYoH6UQ.jpg

:D
    I've been thinking of moving that one on for a while now IP. Not quite there yet, but...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

His live streams went a bit weird for me with a few odd balls joining in a while back, the dog fella Goldberg and another bloke called jin off the top of my head just put me off
    Paul comes across as a brash idiot but he’s far from that and was just playing up to the camera for views, I must say I like his rage videos but YouTube has gone so pc now you can’t be doing that or you get a strike

Goldberg and Clive are gone thank god and there is a new crew, much better. He has also realised that having 6 ladies sized pateks is not the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

Watched that video Fitz. Seen this guys videos suggested to me but never watched one.

What a colossal p**** to dis a guys collection in such a crude manner. Doesn’t matter if he’s right or not, have a bit of class. Could have put his opinions a bit more subtly.

My Mam used to say “An ounce of breeding is worth a ton of feeding” This guy seems to have plenty of the latter and not much of the former.

Love the flash of the solid gold sub, screams “look at me I’m so much better than you”

No manners in the world anymore, I despair.

Think I’ll stick to Tim from Caseback watches

Watched that video Fitz. Seen this guys videos suggested to me but never watched one.

What a colossal p**** to dis a guys collection in such a crude manner. Doesn’t matter if he’s right or not, have a bit of class. Could have put his opinions a bit more subtly.

My Mam used to say “An ounce of breeding is worth a ton of feeding” This guy seems to have plenty of the latter and not much of the former.

Love the flash of the solid gold sub, screams “look at me I’m so much better than you”

No manners in the world anymore, I despair.

Think I’ll stick to Tim from Caseback watches

I think your not getting Archies shtick...Tim of Caseback watch gets it, he likes Archie did a vid on it.

Vostok or whatever name he uses now was someone who didn’t get the Archie character at all and thought it was all real, it was comical seeing him back track on what he said

The Archie character is an exaggeration of a pompus watch collector, the lines between Pluta and Archie are sometimes blurred. But what makes it watchable is that he really knows his watches and his opinions, although crudely and crassly presented, have a nugget of truth that few are willing to articulate.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Rootsblower

But it’s all done in fun, people pay him to get roasted and Paul is playing a character called Archie luxury

I defer to your greater knowledge on this guy.

People really pay to be insulted?

Man, am I out of touch if that’s the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've been thinking of moving that one on for a while now IP. Not quite there yet, but...

:) Don't blame you! Don't have nearly as impressive of a collection as the ones that get posted on here,but I couldn't imagine parting with any of mine as for me, they all have there own little story/connection and if I got seller's remorse,it would be difficult finding replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That is one hilarious video :D:D. Thanks for posting

Is he drunk?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

:) Don't blame you! Don't have nearly as impressive of a collection as the ones that get posted on here,but I couldn't imagine parting with any of mine as for me, they all have there own little story/connection and if I got seller's remorse,it would be difficult finding replacements.
    Oh I hear that IP. :) Down the years I've a lot of memories tied into different watches. Much of it down to the discovery, then the research, then the hunt and then the "kill". :) On top of that some have memories beyond the watch themselves.

That Omega defo has the first part. It was a head only purchase because it's an early one(first year of production IIRC) and I thought "ah sure I'll find a bracelet handy enough like..." Took me feckin' years. And because time marched on and values climbed it ended up costing me a little over what I'd paid for the feckin watch itself. :eek: #vintagenerdmadness.

Ah sure who am I talking with IP. You've clearly got the same affliction. :D We can look at say current model Omega/Patek/Rolex buyers confused and bemused about the minutiae they're into, while we spend hours on google images making sure the hairspring is the correct colour and the lume is the right shade in the particular [insert model/decade here] watch we've got our eye on. And then we go hunting for the correct strap/bracelet. In essence we're all mad. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Paul Thorpe asked him why he didn’t become a dealer as he clearly has the knowledge, his main reason hit the nail in the head
    Buyer are arseholes coming in with low ball offers, you have a 10k watch and they say they only have 8k
    Well worth a watch
    +1, though I would say both dealers and buyers are very often different cheeks on the same malodorous arse.

Fitz II wrote: »
    The Archie character is an exaggeration of a pompus watch collector, the lines between Pluta and Archie are sometimes blurred. But what makes it watchable is that he really knows his watches and his opinions, although crudely and crassly presented, have a nugget of truth that few are willing to articulate.
    Oh defo F, under the Ocker persona shtick who seems to have a penchant for shabbiness and SE Asian lassies of variable virtue he certainly knows quite a bit alright. I remember watching a vid were he was siting in some hotel or other with a collector of vintage 30's Longines pilot's watches and he was both impressed and not out of his depth at all. Just going on his vids(which tbh I haven't watched in many a year, though my opinion would hold tbh) he'd have significantly more actual horological knowledge than the flash Harry "watch expert" Pride and Pinion guy and similat out there who are busily pimping their own variety of online persona.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I defer to your greater knowledge on this guy.

People really pay to be insulted?

Man, am I out of touch if that’s the case.

Getting roasted is popular now

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

What would a €3000 watch end up costing after importing from U.S. or Japan?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Wibbs 2021
    +1, though I would say both dealers and buyers are very often different cheeks on the same malodorous arse.

Oh my god that's literally one if the best lines I've ever heard!! Hahah brilliant Mr Wibbs brilliant!

So funny but yet so true.

I would also add buyers are that bit worse as they have allowed these clowns of watch dealers to thrive by paying ridiculously over the odds for watches that are still in production.

Just market forces really, because of all sorts of factors. Noting wrong with that either. Nobody's being forced at gunpoint. Buy a Daytona or the kitten gets it! :D

A new AP, apparently a bargain in that realm, but the macro shots don't do it many favours. Dust, smudges, dial paint issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Just market forces really, because of all sorts of factors. Noting wrong with that either. Nobody's being forced at gunpoint. Buy a Daytona or the kitten gets it! :D

Hold on now: what kind of kitten?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

Can I have the kitten instead of the Daytona?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

the close ups of the AP are terrible, is the fella doing the voiceover trying to be the watch version of David Attenborough

He pretty much is at this point, however Sir David is never trying to sell us a humpback whale

No way AP let it out like that, that been serviced by a greesy bufoon at some point.

There are paint issues too F, something a hamfisted watchmaker wouldn't be a part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

So the watch industry is full of ****, even the holy trinity produce poorly finished watches, fakes are now so good they can't be detected unless you send it in for service. It's all taking a lot of the glamour away, isn't it? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

unkel wrote: »
    So the watch industry is full of ****, even the holy trinity produce poorly finished watches, fakes are now so good they can't be detected unless you send it in for service. It's all taking a lot of the glamour away, isn't it? :(

It's why microbrands are doing well too at even the sub 2000 euro region (Monta etc.) - it's like repurposing the factories that could be making really good fakes to be making really good original work.

And look - most people aren't looking at watches under a loupe… "A" grade is no visible issues at 30cm (Longines and most micros) "AAA" grade is no visible issues at 10cm (Omega/Rolex etc) - or so my factory partner tells me.

I'm sure even AP has a cutoff on "acceptable" qc - macro, just like 4k - shows up all the "imperfections" that we don't see in daily wear.

unkel wrote: »
    So the watch industry is full of ****,
    Kinda U, though all luxury/veblen industries are full of it to some degree or other
    even the holy trinity produce poorly finished watches,
    And/or the market has become ever more anal over things that don't actually matter . Something that tends to happen as costs of involvement rise. Grand Seiko hurts the Big Three in dial finishing and isn't so far off in movement finishing and for significantly less investment, but the Big Three have far more cache.
    the fakes are now so good they can't be detected unless you send it in for service.
    That is a worry alright. And it's only going to get worse.
    It's all taking a lot of the glamour away, isn't it? :(
    It is, but on the other hand U, so long as you get out before the market stagnates or softens(or buy a forever watch) I can see it as a good thing too. If the shine and hype goes off it in the mainstream and the flippers/fashionistas drift away the market and the hobby should hopefully calm down to pre 2010 levels. I think the vintage market is in more trouble as supply is by definition finite and unless a load of hoarders and investors sell off I can see it remaining pretty stagnant.

I hadn't looking in on the TZUK forum for ages since my account was apparently constrained for some reason :confused: but looking at it today and there seems to be more talk of homages, Seiko, microbrands with some Omega and Longines content. A year ago it was looking much more like the Rolex forum, so there does seem to be some drift going on. Personally speaking? If I owned one of the "hot" Rolex models and it wasn't going to be my forever watch I'd be looking to offload it at the current price levels and looking into a watch at the higher levels, probably in precious metal and something that will be a fine timepiece after the dust has settled. Lange would probably be top of my list.

I have two trinity watches (for now) and both are flawless, and I have had them at huge magnification and there is not an atom out of place. The "warm fuzzy" feeling of these watches is real and the attention to detail is amazing. I simply would not accept a flaw on one personally, they are too expensive. I think that there being one or two out there with flaws that may well not be manufacture flaws but service flaws doesnt really take away from them, and certainly is not a convenient excuse to get easy serotonin hits from multiple less desirables (assuming your real goal is to have one).

Paul Thorpe (whom I dislike intently generally) put it well. the 2-5k budget is "danger money" thats where you settle for something cause you can get it but end up feeling empty and loosing money.

Fake sure, they are a pain in the ass, but that people are willing to spend money to pretend to be an owner is also a backhanded complement and further enhances the intangible benefits of having the real deal. Bless their hearts. What fakes are doing is making the real deal more expensive, cause you have to go new, trusted dealer and pay the premiums

Microbrands are doing well cause they are cheaper, a high tide raises all ships, without the trinity (plus Rolex and probably minus VC) driving the market this choo choo train would be stationary (pun intended).

Of course the industry is full of sh1t...its selling luxury and ornaments that serve no purpose except to pose. And before you come in Wibbs vintage is the biggest shower of posers out there. I am OK with that, I like that game and when you get down with that this becomes a lot of fun. But there is real quality differences. When people are over to buy watches off me or vice versa, and they try on a Rolex and then try on my AP they all without fail cannot figure out why the AP is so nice. It just has a depth of design, finish and poser chops that is immediately obvious. It was the same when I tried on 836bets patek. I just looked at it and though "ok, well thats ruined Rolex for me"

Having said that AP is RO and ROO the other models are all dogs. Patek is better at dress watches as are VC, AP is a sports brand. Yep its full of sh1t but we all love the smell of out own dont we.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I'm looking for a navy / khaki Tudor-style nato strap for one of these: https://eu.ingersoll1892.com/collections/collections/products/the-trenton-swiss-made-t07601?_pos=2&_sid=f0e731813&_ss=r

I can find loads in 20mm and 22mm, but I cant find one in 24mm (I assume Tudor's arent made in that size). Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Here's an example of what I'm talking about, in case not clear.

https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/853399281/premium-single-pass-tudor-nylon-watch?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=tudor+strap&ref=sr_gallery-1-6

Advertisement