Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Just finished watching one of my favorite episodes of Knight Rider, Season 2 Episode 18 Goliath Returns :cool:

QVYMd99.jpg

Timex camper worn by an unknown character

HbtQWHT.jpg

uQJNJCu.jpg

:D Bonus one for tonight, really cool spot

Season 2 Episode 20 A Good Knight's Work

Rolex Oysterquartz Datejust 17013 :cool: worn by the character Cameron Zachary played by John Vernon

B3C0mGp.jpg

8JFsRn6.jpg

YcHLkXS.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That particular OysterQuartz is one you really don't see very often at all. In my humble, though it doesn't get the love because of the battery bit, the OysterQuartz is one of the finest designed and executed movements Rolex have ever made in their history. It was certainly far superior in fit and finish compared to their contemporary movements and in the very top tier of quartz movements ever made.

dscn9745.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Ooh a capacity trimmer too - so the quartz watch could even be adjusted - not often seen on quartz watches (very rare nowadays to get something like that - my Accurist watch (of all watches!) - has one in its Citizen/Miyota movement - a very cool perpetual calendar, chronograph, minute repeater (quartz) watch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

In Walker: Texas Ranger, he doesn't wear a watch. Chuck Norris tells time WHAT TIME IT IS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You can get them relatively cheap enough.
    https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/datejust-oysterquartz--id16390578.htm

These knight rider posts are hilarious/mad/really interesting. Keep them coming irishplayer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Cienciano wrote: »

Seems a bargain for a Rolex, especially considering what you get for your money.

" It has a small ship atop the upper edge of the crystal."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I rewatched Ronin over the weekend for the first time in more than a decade I'd say. Still the ultimate car chase film imo.

I noticed in a scene that De Niro was wearing an interesting chrono, first thought was Speedie but when I paused I could see that it wasn't. Ended up Googling it and it's a brand I've never come across before; a Jardur Bezelmeter 950.

roninrd5-gun5-sig.jpg
    ronin-Jardur-960-4.jpg

"The Watch Spot identified De Niro’s watch as the earliest Jardur Bezelmeter model, a Bezelmeter 950, “recognizable by the oval pushers and cathedral hands.” The watch has a stainless case, black dial, and is worn on a black leather strap with off-white stitched edges."

More info on the brand here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

@eljono: good spot, and a nice find.

It reminds of me a Le Cheminant Master Mariner I picked up a while ago. It had a Valjoux 92 movement, instead of a 72.

Gorgeous pieces these, but at 36mm, I found it was just too small. Terrible pity as there are so many classics in this size.

Nearing the end of season 2 :)

Season 2 Episode 21 Mouth of the Snake

Another Seiko 6309-7040 worn by an unknown character

S32dafy.jpg

HcvjnMT.jpg

Rolex Submariner worn by the character Eduardo O'Brian played by Pedro Armendáriz Jr.

JCUCu9e.jpg

qEfBa7J.jpg

0dS4cpA.jpg

A bonus watch worn by the character
    Joanna Pettet played by Joanna St. John , not sure if its a prop or not as the name appears to be covered

2hmazSr.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭46 Long

Birneybau wrote: »
    In Walker: Texas Ranger, he doesn't wear a watch. Chuck Norris tells time WHAT TIME IT IS.

If you ask Chuck Norris what time it is, he always says, ‘Two seconds till.’ After you ask, ‘Two seconds to what?’ he roundhouse kicks you in the face.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A mate of mine who knows of my watch interest sent me this:

Apparently sales of second hand watches from the UK to the EU have suffered. "Collapsed" according to the vid. I've bought a few pieces down the years from the UK, more from the rest of Europe(and beyond before they started cracking down. Allegedly..), but I wonder is this just a temporary confusion or a more long term thing?

I've noticed that beyond the Hodinkee site, the vintage market is quite stagnant anyway for the last year no matter where it is, but is it affecting more recent/current used watches? I could imagine the Pride an Pinion chap based in the north being hit by this. Before they had the whole of Ireland and the EU with no extra charges, but now they've to add other charges on top. On the luxury price end he works from those charges could be a fair oul whack. Though the current special status of Northern Ireland would probably immunise them to some degree.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

It's long term Wibbs. It's done, finished. Unless GBP devalues by a good 30% which is entirely possible. There will always be "opportunities" though for people who travel over and bring a watch back that they don't declare when arriving home. Or watches that get shipped, but not intercepted by customs.
    Wibbs wrote: »
    I could imagine the Pride an Pinion chap based in the north being hit by this. Before they had the whole of Ireland and the EU with no extra charges, but now they've to add other charges on top. On the luxury price end he works from those charges could be a fair oul whack.

NI is in the EU for tax, VAT and import duty purposes, so his sales to Ireland and the EU should be unaffected. Not so sure about the implications of him selling back into the UK though...

unkel wrote: »
    There will always be "opportunities" though for people who travel over and bring a watch back that they don't declare when arriving home.
    TBH if I were buying from a UK chap, I'd take a Ryanair flight, naked wrist on the way out...
    Or watches that get shipped, but not intercepted by customs.
    That seems to have been really tightened up in the last few years. Ten years ago if I got a watch from beyond the EU it was highly unlikely to be stopped(IME much more likely if coming from the US for some reason). I also got various car parts from places like Japan and the US, never stopped from Japan, occasionally from the US. These days it's near guaranteed to be intercepted.
    NI is in the EU for tax, VAT and import duty purposes, so his sales to Ireland and the EU should be unaffected. Not so sure about the implications of him selling back into the UK though...
    Never thought about someone in NI selling to the UK. But yeah he's grand there. Unless that changes. The way things are going who knows... It seems pretty volatile at the moment. Hopefully just growing pains until things settle down. Personally if I were a luxury watch dealer anywhere in the UK I'd be looking to opening a Dublin branch, or somewhere in mainland Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

This "cheap flight" to the uk thing always amuses me.....get to airport costs money or parking, flights and breakfast, get to UK get to where the watch is, more money, get back, airport again lunch and back to dublin, get home. All costs money the flight usually being the least of it. Could cost 300-500 euro depending on what sort of a rush you are in. The value of a day off as well or a weekend day lost.

Sometimes better to just pay more for a watch that can be shipped easily. Ok for the right watch at the right price might be worthwhile, but for a lot of watches the cost savings are only imagined and it is risky.

TBH if I were buying from a UK chap, I'd take a Ryanair flight, naked wrist on the way out...

That would be the tempting option alright. But a lot riskier again if you want to bring in box and papers too. If stopped you will get done for taxes and a substantial penalty and of course rightly so. And there's not much flying over to the UK these days :p You could of course have box and papers shipped over separately.

That seems to have been really tightened up in the last few years. Ten years ago if I got a watch from beyond the EU it was highly unlikely to be stopped(IME much more likely if coming from the US for some reason). I also got various car parts from places like Japan and the US, never stopped from Japan, occasionally from the US. These days it's near guaranteed to be intercepted.

Same experience here. Seems to have gone from 10% intercepted 5 years ago to 90% now. For anything from outside of the EU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

With reference to the above, if you go over and wear it home, surely you could work in a trip to the post office to post yourself the box and papers?

Lorddrakul wrote: »
    With reference to the above, if you go over and wear it home, surely you could work in a trip to the post office to post yourself the box and papers?

Still risky, could come knocking looking for receipts on the watch, asking why you are buying a box and papers for a watch you dont have etc.....best to buy the box separately with a receipt for a tenner and send the papers by envelope.

Fitz II wrote: »
    This "cheap flight" to the uk thing always amuses me.....get to airport costs money or parking, flights and breakfast, get to UK get to where the watch is, more money, get back, airport again lunch and back to dublin, get home. All costs money the flight usually being the least of it. Could cost 300-500 euro depending on what sort of a rush you are in. The value of a day off as well or a weekend day lost.
    I've popped over to the UK a few times(not for watches) and it was pretty painless and cheap. At this end I'm not too far from the airport and 9 times outa 10 I'd get a lift off a mate(the last time I parked there for the guts of a day it was 20-30 quid IIRC?), depending where it was in the UK I'd likely be able to get similar over there, throw a few quid for go juice in their direction. I'd eat breakfast at home and would generally not eat again until the evenings and I'd enjoy the oul trip anyway. Driving to say Cork or Belfast wouldn't be that much cheaper and would involve more driving of course.

Now of course it would certainly depend on the savings involved, otherwise post it and be damned, or from now on just avoid UK sellers as a rule. They'll either have to drop their prices for overseas sales, or sterling takes a dive which could happen too, or the market over there will stay local and reduce in size.

Then again German dealers tend to be noticeably pricier than anywhere else in the EU and they're still chugging along so...

• Advertisement

I've popped over to the UK a few times(not for watches) and it was pretty painless and cheap. At this end I'm not too far from the airport and 9 times outa 10 I'd get a lift off a mate(the last time I parked there for the guts of a day it was 20-30 quid IIRC?), depending where it was in the UK I'd likely be able to get similar over there, throw a few quid for go juice in their direction. I'd eat breakfast at home and would generally not eat again until the evenings and I'd enjoy the oul trip anyway. Driving to say Cork or Belfast wouldn't be that much cheaper and would involve more driving of course.

Sounds like a great trip, you could thumb a ride I suppose, and pack a sandwich. This watch game sure is glamorous, and sellers generally dont mind taking time out of their day to drive to a seller and back.

Sounds like a great trip, you could thumb a ride I suppose, and pack a sandwich.
    And there's always the bus too. I'd draw the line at a bicycle mind you. Though I could put the squeeze on Cyclingtourist for a favour and put it to him as a challenge. There's a lad in Chester with a Submarine Trench watch. I'll time you. :D
    This watch game sure is glamorous
    Never really got the whole glamour thing in general tbh.
    and sellers generally dont mind taking time out of their day to drive to a seller and back.
    Which is fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Sometimes better to just pay more for a watch that can be shipped easily. Ok for the right watch at the right price might be worthwhile, but for a lot of watches the cost savings are only imagined and it is risky.

some people place little or no value on their own time, which is fine of course, but im with you on this fitz.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

Uk is finished for me unless it’s for something very special and high end.

Or else something bargaintastic. There will be no bargains though. As of it’s a bargain the seller will have a que and you having to arrange flights and faff around means you are end of that line.

There was a VC and a dornbluth that I would have been interested in this week on TZ. Not worth the hassle now.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Has anyone been stung by customs for importing anything yet this year? I bought a watch from outside the EU in Jan and it didn't have any problems getting through, and have bought a bit of other stuff from the UK and everything has been fine. The most annoying thing has been delays, but I get the impression that customs are overloaded and can't keep up with the volume, so they are just looking at the occasional package.

Maybe I am wrong, but that has been my experience as a consumer so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Got stung for €21 duty on a Vostok from Russia last month which came via UPS which I didn't mind so much, it was the additional €18 I was charged for what I'm not really sure, that pissed me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭griffin100

Now of course it would certainly depend on the savings involved, otherwise post it and be damned, or from now on just avoid UK sellers as a rule. They'll either have to drop their prices for overseas sales, or sterling takes a dive which could happen too, or the market over there will stay local and reduce in size.

I've gone over a few times to pick up diamonds (loose and made up) and never had an issue. Cheap flight to London, meet close to airport, back home a a couple of hours. Not sure if I'd chance going through customs now though with loose diamonds or expensive unboxed jewellery in my jeans pocket!!

Got stung for €21 duty on a Vostok from Russia last month which came via UPS which I didn't mind so much, it was the additional €18 I was charged for what I'm not really sure, that pissed me off.

Yeah hate that too. Fair enough you pay the VAT, but the "admin" charge on top of that is mostly taking the p1ss.

And if delivered by An Post, they add insult to injury. The refuse to deliver it to your door. Instead they leave you a letter saying to come pick up at the local sorting office. Where you have to pay the VAT and duty and admin charge. And they take cash only, no change given. In 2021 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Fly to London, hotel, food etc etc for a watch may be a false economy but I'd look at it this way. We go to London once a year, book in somewhere nice and have a few days exploring and enjoying life. Part of the trip invariably will be a trip into Harrods and Oxford St, for a browse, watches being one of the browsing destinations. Heading up west to buy a 2nd hand watch and rolling in a weekend away that you'd do anyway is most certainly not a false economy.

On another note, my wife has taken a liking to a constellation in rose gold and steel. She has expensive taste which is getting steadily more expensive!! Her 30th is coming up, I might get on the hunt.

• Advertisement

Cyrus wrote: »
    some people place little or no value on their own time, which is fine of course, but im with you on this fitz.

Anything worth traveling to get is now not worth traveling to get, either on the buyer or seller end.

Advertisement