Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Some are being very critical of him. I concede there is an element of the cringe factor to some of it but that's always been there and you need to accept that because that's just his personality. At the end of the day, he's putting out very well made free content. A big part of his channel was the travel videos which he cannot do for obvious reasons so he needs to do things like this to keep the channel ticking over.

I mean come on guys, what's the alternative; some bland video from Teddy Baldasarre telling you watch dimensions or Jody trying to flog you a Chinese special? Maybe Archie telling you that your whole collection is sh1tters. Perhaps Adrian drinking coffee and being smug wearing a grey jumper? Its still by far the most interesting channel of the lot and part of that is perhaps that it's not 100 percent watches.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

He is creating a little persona and playing up to it. Par for the course for youtube. Prejecting his life as strolling around Venice drinking fine, drinks, smoking fine smokes, living the continental European dream in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

Am I jealous. Hell yeah.

Does he have a single watch or have reviewed a single watch I covet? Not even 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

redlead wrote: »
    Some are being very critical of him. I concede there is an element of the cringe factor to some of it but that's always been there and you need to accept that because that's just his personality. At the end of the day, he's putting out very well made free content. A big part of his channel was the travel videos which he cannot do for obvious reasons so he needs to do things like this to keep the channel ticking over.

I mean come on guys, what's the alternative; some bland video from Teddy Baldasarre telling you watch dimensions or Jody trying to flog you a Chinese special? Maybe Archie telling you that your whole collection is sh1tters. Perhaps Adrian drinking coffee and being smug wearing a grey jumper? Its still by far the most interesting channel of the lot and part of that is perhaps that it's not 100 percent watches.

I have championed his channel since it started, and I understand all your points. But this seiko vid is out of character for him and hypocritical from his very recent opinions.

And its not free content, my eyeballs and ears are not free and neither are yours. He gets paid thousands a month on patreon and thousands by youtube for us to watch ads attached to his content. My eyeballs and ears did not like this one. Its the clickbaity content I hate and the opinions designed to please certain people rather than being genuinely held. It errodes trust, as we all make purchase decisions based on what these guys say. a lot of people will watch that vid and buy that seiko thinking its something thats its not.

I dont think that a single channel can straddle all tiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I think what some people miss about 'Timeless' is that Oisín's main interest is music and watches are just a sideline hobby for him. Because he's relatively wealthy (apparently) he can afford not to take the whole YT thing too seriously and I wouldn't be surprised if in the next year he drops the video caper and disappears to pursue some other project.

In the meantime I enjoy his videos mostly for the views of a unique city with its great architecture and interesting people as well as the other locations in northern Italy. I'd watch him if there were no watches featured.

Fitz II wrote: »
    And its not free content, my eyeballs and ears are not free and neither are yours. He gets paid thousands a month on patreon and thousands by youtube for us to watch ads attached to his content. My eyeballs and ears did not like this one. Its the clickbaity content I hate and the opinions designed to please certain people rather than being genuinely held.

It is free but he makes money from it just like those free newspapers and that free Dublin mag Totally Dublin. This one didn't appeal to me as much as his other ones mainly because I'm not a fan of that type of music and he didn't move around the city much. The music decides the content as far as I can see.
    What if someone buys the watch based on this video? Will they have been misled and regret their purchase? I don't think so.

To each his own.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

a lot of people will watch that vid and buy that seiko thinking its something thats its not.
    I hear you, but for 600 quid though it's a good watch from a good brand with an important and deep history and far better than many at that pricepoint(and some above). A newbie to things could do a lot worse.
    I dont think that a single channel can straddle all tiers.
    True dat.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

What if someone buys the watch based on this video? Will they have been misled and regret their purchase?

Anyone who buys a watch on the basis of a video alone is an idiot who can't really complain if they end up regretting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

As a related aside, there’s a thread over in Bargain Alerts showing how to get cheap YouTube Premium.

Just over a euro a month for no ads, well worth it. I can get wound up by Oisin in peace.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There's a few free plugins for browsers that remove that youtube ad stuff. I've run various ones for years so didn't realise how much of a PITA it could be. A few weeks back I was browsing the web on one of my other machines without that software and tbh I found Youtube pretty much unwatchable.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

mailforkev wrote: »
    As a related aside, there’s a thread over in Bargain Alerts showing how to get cheap YouTube Premium.

Just over a euro a month for no ads, well worth it. I can get wound up by Oisin in peace.

Thanking you velli velli much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'm much more a fan of completely free YouTube premium and would always recommend YouTube Vanced as an alternative to any of the premium workarounds.
    Doesn't even need a rooted phone these days AFAIK ;)

Funnily enough, the only thing I ever bought based off a YouTube recommendation was that watch roll he mentioned on his channel. Its actually featured in that gifts video too. Everything he said about it was true anyway, it's really good quality at a really good price. I'd highly recommend if anyone is looking for one. I bought one on amazon for 30 bucks beforehand which was pure tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I use Firefox and some blockers and don't get any ads on YT.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Time wrote: »
    Anyone who buys a watch on the basis of a video alone is an idiot who can't really complain if they end up regretting it.

I think generally people know what they want and the youtube video is just finalising the decision. But it'll definitely influence people, it's a billion euro industry for a reason.

And plenty of idiots out there, look at that Alpha M channel, 6m subscribers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Playing devil's advocate though - if everyone one uses Adblockplus or others then the production values of some of the content will invariably fall as for many youtubers it does seem like it's passion that's powering their content and not a desire to be the next guy to reach 200mil subscribers and live off YT money. Most of the watch youtubers I've spoken to just use the money to buy some interesting microbrands or get video equipment etc. I can understand why content creators use patreon - because the amount of ads you'd need to put in a video and then have people watch for a few tens of dollars seems miniscule for the amount of effort that goes into making the free content.

Ties back into me wanting to support cool channels (especially big ones that would give a completely new microbrand a chance because the watch seemed like a cool concept rather than ask for watches/money) but wanting to be personally comfortable ethically with the editorial/advertising divide.

I would would a Patreon budget for Sólás work ethically? No large amounts given over to channels or expectations of anything in return - but we get to support channels (at a rate similar to any "normal" fan) in recognition of the good work they do in producing interesting/honest/impartial content. Could publicly list exactly what channels we are patreons of (at what tier etc.) so people see exactly who we consider supporting - and by only contributing $1-2-3 dollars a month there is relatively no influence on a creator to ensure they continue remaining "in our good graces" by only publishing positive reviews.

Ah lads, we’re on here chatting about our watches costing hundreds, thousands, and tens of thousands of euro. YouTube Premium is €1.15 a month.
    I only use the iPhone app, no plugins/android/etc. I like the easy life.

Yeah, personally I don't use adlockers. The way I see it if I'm watching their content they can have the ad revenue. If a ad that can be skipped in 5 seconds is annoying, try watching RTE.

Time wrote: »
    Cienciano wrote: »
    I think generally people know what they want and the youtube video is just finalising the decision. But it'll definitely influence people, it's a billion euro industry for a reason

There goes the whole microbrand industry then :pac:

I'd rather the review videos exist as otherwise how are people supposed to know what a kickstarter/microbrand watch is worthy of consideration?

And like Cien says - it's the whole reason why "influencers" as a market exists - I've only worked with people who didn't ask for money/product but for people who have over 100k subscribers they have the "pulling power" to demand payment for their time just by putting a product in front of people.

Companies like Rolex/Patek don't need influencers because they are the traditional brick and mortar operation. But Zelos, Formex, Monta etc. make their sales from these kinds of videos - otherwise potential new customers won't even know a Zelos Skyraider exists etc.

Ah lads, we’re on here chatting about our watches costing hundreds, thousands, and tens of thousands of euro. YouTube Premium is €1.15 a month.
    I only use the iPhone app, no plugins/android/etc. I like the easy life.

It's €12 a month for youtube premium.

Thirdfox wrote: »
    There goes the whole microbrand industry then :pac:

I'd rather the review videos exist as otherwise how are people supposed to know what a kickstarter/microbrand watch is worthy of consideration?

I see where you’re coming from, but personally I wouldn’t have ordered a starlight if I hadn’t seen the journey from the start. Watches can look great on a video and just not suit on the wrist, so personally I find reviews to be of limited value. I only like the Watchfinder ones because they tend to be very matter of fact about the watch itself, not how good it looks on etc..

Then, as you know better than most, there are just too many paid for micro brand reviews, and a paid for review in my mind is an advertisement. So it’s hard to actually take what’s said at face value, just as it is with channels where Rolex is espoused as the be all and end all of Watch collecting.

But having said that i can understand the appeal and value that they have to some. I mean just look at this forum, we’re extremely varied in our tastes, approaches and reasons for collecting.

• Advertisement

Nice one....youtubers get more from Premium Subscribers watching their vids than just unpaid viewers, its a good way to support them.

The old saying is if something is "free" you are the product. I have to say I mostly buy watches from online content. More in that I research a watch I am interested in and see what it look like on various people. Too hard in Ireland to try on various watches especially now. Means I have to stick to watches that I know I can resell in a hurry if I dont like them, its happened to me more than one. No Rolex stock, no AP boutique, no ALS reseller, no second hand watch shops with much stock like watchfinder. Hell its even hard find a speedmaster to try in these days.

But yes Time you are right a buying decision should not be made on a single vid especially one that promises that this watch will sate your desire for a Rolex or a omega or the likes, but for the likes of Seiko where its not a massive investment a lot of people will look at it and think, that looks good I will have some of that. I wasted so much time and money in the early days of collecting buying the "youtuber favourites" before I realised that they were not all that great. Oisin man I though you were different.

PS I like the seiko turtle and the SKX and those watches always a good purchase, but the "5 reasons its better and a Rolex", or "this is the greatest watch in the world" thing is just a lie.

Follw Kevs link and sub from India or turkey....far less.

Thirdfox, that Aruba design guy should get you a few sales, pity he didn’t make his video earlier as it really shows off the dial etc. better than anyone else.

See my previous post above, use Argentina.

Thirdfox, that Aruba design guy should get you a few sales, pity he didn’t make his video earlier as it really shows off the dial etc. better than anyone else.

But I guess the whole point is that without other channels opting to look at the Starlight and Sólás it wouldn't have gotten to the stage that someone in Aruba would have thought "huh, an almost completely unknown Irish brand, I'll see if they can send me a watch to review?"

Indeed it's a pity that the pretty cool video was released when we only had 9 watches left (2 as of today) - but being completely sold out (and perhaps starting a pre-order interest list) is great too.

It means that he'll be right at the top of getting an Equinox to review in hand - equally for him there's the benefit that Sólás promoted his channel too to (admittedly very small 620 followers) - but for a channel with 3.3k subscribers that can be important too if some viewers like the content that he's making.

There should be a win/win in this situation - good channels and "good" brands get further exposure as time goes on. And perhaps then it's less about the Patreon idea - but if Sólás can get "big" enough - we can have the influence to raise a channel's profile by letting our followers know about a review being published. For example I see Halios has around 32k followers - that's not insubstantial.

^ and actually on the above - I have been doing that by sending the Starlight to reviewers who are at maybe only 200 subscribers etc. - I've seen their other channel reviews and thought they gave interesting views - so just like I'm grateful Nick Shabazz gave me a chance when I was an "unknown" I'd like to give "unknown" channels a chance too to look at a watch from us and maybe it'll help raise their channel profile somewhat too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I'm way out here and just thinking options really but my wife has a significant birthday coming up. I'd like to get her a constellation but new is more than I'd be happy to spend. We are saving for a 20% house deposit so spending €6k is a bit strong. That said a new deville is just about on budget. I've a contact in Ireland who is on the hunt but he is finding it tough to source something. I also have a local person on the hunt for me but I'm not sure what will come up.

TLDR used Lady Constellation or a new Deville or another suggestion?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@JBJ, I think the lady constellations are lovely tbh.
    That said, you won't go far wrong with either IMO.

Make sure she would definitely want that style watch before spending so much because they dont seem to be the fashion for women anymore. They seem to want the less blingy bauhaus ones or even mens watches.

She loves a good watch. We have looked at them in our local boutique a good few times and she is drawn to the lady constellation as well as the Deville so I'm sure I'd get it right. She likes watches in fairness but has traditionally only had fashion watches eg Anne Klein, Marc Jacobs, Daniel Wellington and so on. I'm a little stuck as I bought her a diamond ring for Christmas, she's not into earrings so a watch is an easier option and I know it would be appreciated. She has always had an appreciation for nice watches, she bought me my seamaster and is encouraging me to buy another when we finish our contracts. I'd not rule out a Cartier Santos or Tank either if I could get one pre owned and in budget. Longines have some options to and would be easily bought new on budget.

She loves a good watch. We have looked at them in our local boutique a good few times and she is drawn to the lady constellation as well as the Deville so I'm sure I'd get it right. She likes watches in fairness but has traditionally only had fashion watches eg Anne Klein, Marc Jacobs, Daniel Wellington and so on. I'm a little stuck as I bought her a diamond ring for Christmas, she's not into earrings so a watch is an easier option and I know it would be appreciated. She has always had an appreciation for nice watches, she bought me my seamaster and is encouraging me to buy another when we finish our contracts. I'd not rule out a Cartier Santos or Tank either if I could get one pre owned and in budget. Longines have some options to and would be easily bought new on budget.

I vote Cartier Tank, more of a classic watch, never out of fashon. Most are quartz so no service and you can get one in a nice red box brand new in a weirs bag for about 2300 euro. Cartier is a brand that most women will appreciate, while Omega womens watches are nice but Omega is a more masculine brand.

I vote Cartier Tank, more of a classic watch, never out of fashon. Most are quartz so no service and you can get one in a nice red box brand new in a weirs bag for about 2300 euro. Cartier is a brand that most women will appreciate, while Omega womens watches are nice but Omega is a more masculine brand.

Her mother has one on an alligator strap and it's very nice but I'll have to suss her out a little more.

• Advertisement

Her mother has one on an alligator strap and it's very nice but I'll have to suss her out a little more.

Cartier are available brand new, well under retail on the grey market too.

Advertisement