Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Yeah - if you're looking at sub6k you even have the option of the Ballon Bleu from Cartier too - a step up from the tank (in my personal opinion) and especially beloved by ladies.

And more in the 1k region a Longines Dolce Vita can be a nice alternative to the tank too - though for many ladies the Cartier red box is as important as what's inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

So had a chat with the wife and here are her recommendations.

1. If the mother in law has a Tank think carefully about if that is right.
    2. The Longines Dolce Vita came up.
    3. Tudor Prince Date is an option for the Datejust.
    4. Second hand Rolex datejust is always good. (this would be my go to I have to say)
    5. Ballon Bleu is out of fashion, Kate Middleton wore one and spiked interest, but they are asymmetric horrors.
    6. Patek 24 can be had for under 6 and that is a proper ladies watch really.
    7. Depends on wheather she is a watch person or not. If not she said get her jewlery. If she is get her the patek.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Fitz II wrote: »
    So had a chat with the wife and here are her recommendations.

1. If the mother in law has a Tank think carefully about if that is right.
    2. The Longines Dolce Vita came up.
    3. Tudor Prince Date is an option for the Datejust.
    4. Second hand Rolex datejust is always good. (this would be my go to I have to say)
    5. Ballon Bleu is out of fashion, Kate Middleton wore one and spiked interest, but they are asymmetric horrors.
    6. Patek 24 can be had for under 6 and that is a proper ladies watch really.
    7. Depends on wheather she is a watch person or not. If not she said get her jewlery. If she is get her the patek.

She is a watch person. I've gone a bit mad on jewellery lately, rings in particular. We aren't thst long married. I'll check out the options and see how I go. I've 3 months to get something but I'm not 100% just yet. All I know is a watch is the front runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭893bet

36mm Rolex that you can both wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I've sent feelers out about a Ballon Bleu.... let's see what comes of it. I'm glad I posted now, focused my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Ballon Bleu is the nicest of the cartiers imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

My wife loved hers...so did the burglar :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭griffin100

My wife is a big fan of the white ceramic Chanel J12. Nice looking watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

banie01 wrote: »
    I'm much more a fan of completely free YouTube premium and would always recommend YouTube Vanced as an alternative to any of the premium workarounds.
    Doesn't even need a rooted phone these days AFAIK ;)

So I looked into this and I just want to say thanks, very happy with how this works and was wondering if there are any other details you might feel like sharing.

Talking to a chap this morning into pocket watches showed me this Fusee watch he had on him. A little metal chain transfers the power from the spring to the escapement, it sits on a kinda pyramid thats constantly changes the gearing ot the chain to deliver consistent torque ( like a CVT gearbox in a car). I have never seen such a low beat rate on a watch, was almost on the second.

Still an 1850 watch still going.

PXL-20210321-104521179.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Still an 1850 ]

I was going to say that you've out wibbed wibbs ...... but you know he's going to whip out a 5th century BC pocket sun dial ;-)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I wish... :D Now that's handmade craftsmanship right there. Everything you can see was cut and shaped and polished and tweaked by a human hand. Very cool.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Speaking of hand made and old:

LLyAx6YN_o.jpg

NKbY96oa_o.jpg

My great grandmother's French carriage clock. 18th or 19th century, not sure which, but I have a vague recollection it might be the former.

(Not happy with those photos, I'm sure I can do better.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Watched the first episode of the Netflix original Away, last night.

A good first episode, quite melodramatic, but it is a drama based on the first, moon-launched, mission to Mars.

Some nice references here and there, such as the chief rocket engineer wearing a classic Speedmaster on a grey NATO.

Also, there is a cosmonaut who appears to be wearing two watches, one of which looks like a black PVD Fortis Cosmonaut.

Pretty sure there were a few Omega X-33s in there too.

Met some strange fellow today to do some watch trading. Tried on a few watches. The aquanaut really gets me, something about it makes me really want one, but that price...eek.. But the ALS is pure class. Must get me one before they go to the moon.

PXL-20210322-180636924.jpg

PXL-20210322-180700033.jpg

PXL-20210322-181000052.jpg

PXL-20210322-182537298.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Met some strange fellow today to do some watch trading. Tried on a few watches. The aquanaut really gets me, something about it makes me really want one, but that price...eek.. But the ALS is pure class. Must get me one before they go to the moon.

Ah here! You can’t post that and not tell us who got what!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

That royal oak is some watch. Not a bad collection, but needs a g-shock

Time wrote: »

Oh nothing exciting, I wanted to try the ALS 1815 and he wanted to try the AP and the VC....just a sizing exercise.

Wish there was a redbar in Ireland https://www.redbargroup.com/about-1
    Cienciano wrote: »

Good idea, this one is going on TZ at the moment about 6200 euro..:eek:

c7ca86f0c7a99ac9c2a9acbfa8b666c9.jpg

A gentleman doesn’t watch and tell.

But I am supposed to be buying a Dornbluth this week! Was very close to pressing the buy button. They are sending me out an empty case to try for size as it’s a little larger than I would like.

Equally Fitz might have one I would be interested in that is a little larger than I would like as I share similar size preferences as yourself it seems.

I need to take the advice I give my wife. Don’t be worrying about the size of the thing.

Cienciano wrote: »

How ever nice you think that AP looks in pictures. It is even nicer in person. Really is a classy watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Oisin was only joking, he's a Rolex guy at heart.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Me7LTdJNBMc&t=916s

Daytona 3 days later, wow.....still the seiko I am sure is still his favourite

It’s tough decision he has this morning alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

@Fitz and 893!
    That must have been one of the most expensive car interiors in the area that day...
    :wow:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Oisín has impeccable taste.
    My favorite Rolex by far is the back dial, ceramic Daytona.
    Not that I'll ever own one. But it is nice to know what to ask for if I ever crack this lucid dreaming thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Love the Aquanaut and the AP, two very different but equally stunning watches.

Interesting too to see the size differences in the VCs.

eljono wrote: »
    Love the Aquanaut and the AP, two very different but equally stunning watches.

Interesting too to see the size differences in the VCs.

The VCs in an interesting photo I thought also. There is a bit of camera trickery. My VC is not that small. And Fitz is not that big.

You have seen my VC in person I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Oisin was only joking, he's a Rolex guy at heart.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Me7LTdJNBMc&t=916s

The voice kills me. The faux suaveness is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

893bet wrote: »
    The VCs in an interesting photo I thought also. There is a bit of camera trickery. My VC is not that small. And Fitz is not that big.

You have seen my VC in person I think?

Yes indeed, possibly before lockdown 1 I guess? A very nice piece, I don't remember your VC as being particularly small, but I do recall it being nice and thin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

The voice kills me. The faux suaveness is too much.

I wouldn't be a Rolex fan particularly but they're great videos, a bit of aspirational escapism in these dull days.

Advertisement